Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

A jargogle posted:

I've often wondered - Is this the same with minibosses? As in, does the game decide whether to spawn greed before you even enter the shop? Because I've often wondered.
It would make sense for if Greed is going to replace a shop to be decided before you go in. If you get a compass you can see if the secret room contains Greed so obviously that's decided ahead of time, it's not unreasonable to assume there's an identical function for shops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Nope, minibosses are determined when the floor generates (so the game knows what room layouts it can use: see Wrath and Lust).

Also I just found what the game uses to decide what to spawn in Arena and Boss Arena rooms, meaning I might finally be able to decode a bunch of enemy IDs. Which will probably lead to...something. (Which is good, because I think I'm running out of breakthroughs)

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
What's the Devil Room exchange rate between soul hearts and regular? Ridiculous is the answer. I'm playing as Samson so I'll have finished the Chest with every character. I get a Guppys Paw, use up all but one of my hearts and so have 1 heart and 30+ soul hearts (6 conversions, book of revelations and relic for a few floors) and then on Womb 1 see a devil room, having not got a damage upgrade I get the pact for 2 hearts and.. end up with 2 soul hearts. So so stupid. I really don't see myself winning this

edit : Lots of running in circles and finding cancer in the Cathedral super secret room meant that I managed it. 95/97 secrets with everyone having done the Chest, I think I missed a Satan kill with everyone and seems I forgot to get Dark Boy.

Sad Panda fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 28, 2012

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Sad Panda posted:

What's the Devil Room exchange rate between soul hearts and regular? Ridiculous is the answer. I'm playing as Samson so I'll have finished the Chest with every character. I get a Guppys Paw, use up all but one of my hearts and so have 1 heart and 30+ soul hearts (6 conversions, book of revelations and relic for a few floors) and then on Womb 1 see a devil room, having not got a damage upgrade I get the pact for 2 hearts and.. end up with 2 soul hearts. So so stupid. I really don't see myself winning this.

If you drain all your heart containers, for the love of god, don't take a devil deal that isn't for soul hearts. You will lose pretty much everything. The only reason you got two soul hearts is because The Pact gives them to you.

It'd be nice if the game only gave you soul heart deals if you drain all your health, but that check is only there for ???.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
I just fired 6 shots at ???

He died.

It turns out that guppy's tail, the d6 and the flat penny on floor 1 is a BROKEN combination.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
This game is really, really hard starting a fresh save file on the current patch + expansion -- took me forever to get my first Satan kill or even do a lot of the basic challenges that only go through the depths. WAY harder than WotL was at release (albeit with pretty much everything from the base game unlocked on my part)-- I was sick of seeing the grail and prayer cards all the time when the expansion launched, too, but the game is a lot harder with the new balanced drop rate , especially when you don't have everything unlocked.

Edit: I'm still having fun and I appreciate the difficulty, but keep in mind I know what every item does and I'm pretty familiar with all the game's quirks . It's hard not to wonder if it wouldn't be overwhelming for a brand new player, though, especially one who purchased the expansion off-the-bat.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Well, it took D6ing through the entire item pool, but I finally got Spoon Bender for the Platinum God achievement. As a bonus, I even got to see the undefined item glitch in the secret room in The Chest. Now the only item I've never seen is the Sacred Heart, but I'll be taking a break before I worry about trying to find that.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Even without that bug, jesus christ is the pill picking routine just a big pile of if else statement? That's just so awful, why would anyone code like that.

Ordinarily you could chalk it up to an artifact of decompiling, but this game runs like poo poo so it might just be poor coding.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Chest beaten as Eve! I've been playing Eve like a super ??? recently - she's much more tolerable with Whore of Babylon constantly active. It certainly helped to find Guppy's Paw and The Nail. Also I got Golden God for some bizarre reason.

Remaining achievements:
Spelunker Boy
Dark Boy
Womb Boy
Platinum God
Mom's Contact (screw you Mom's eye)

Remaining items:
Mom's contact
Daddy Long Legs
Fate (is this really uncommon for everyone else too? It's strange that it's one of the last items for me to find in spite of it being unlocked from the very start).

goferchan posted:

Edit: I'm still having fun and I appreciate the difficulty, but keep in mind I know what every item does and I'm pretty familiar with all the game's quirks . It's hard not to wonder if it wouldn't be overwhelming for a brand new player, though, especially one who purchased the expansion off-the-bat.
It sure was. But I've completed horrible roguelikes before and I'll be damned if I let one defeat me :argh:.

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Remaining items:
Mom's contact
Daddy Long Legs
Fate (is this really uncommon for everyone else too? It's strange that it's one of the last items for me to find in spite of it being unlocked from the very start).

The joys of a RNG that I don't see a way of abusing short of getting lucky with a d6 and a habit to let you roll forever in a room until they turn up. We get to just keep playing and playing until something unlocks. Apparently I've never seen Spiders Bite (outside of the challenge) and need it, Robo-Baby and Mom's Contact to get my final achievement of all a complete collection.

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.
I just had some fun abusing the crap out of the D20, D6 and Portable IV in the Chest. I took a screenshot of a room with 8 pedestals, but then I took another screenshot of the adjoining room with the D6 and IV in it, jumped in the Chest to see the end and realized that I had nothing worth showing in my clipboard... Stupid.

Some things happened: I had 16 Red Hearts at one point, because I walked into a Devil Room, bought Spirit of the Night and Guppy's Paw for 2 and 1 heart respectively, then used Guppy's Paw once before I saw an empty heart container.

I came close to getting Dark Boy. Super War got me with a Super Troll bomb that was propelled by the other Super Troll bomb... and then I didn't care so I got hit a few times fighting Mom.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Fate only drops in gold chests. Get Guppy's Tail and go to work.

Looks like you've got a similar number of achievements to go as me.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Does the Book of Belial increase your damage if you've got Dr Fetus?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

mfcrocker posted:

Fate only drops in gold chests. Get Guppy's Tail and go to work.

Looks like you've got a similar number of achievements to go as me.
I've had a few good Guppy's Tail runs in the past, but I suppose I just need to persist on that one.

I managed to cross Spelunker Boy off at least, and I have a recommendation for that one: Spider Judas. His damage output is crazy and the slowing disables everything. I'm trying to work out if Spider or maybe Fetus Cain can help me with the others.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Sweet run going. Polyphemus and Max's head on floors one and two, a habit, a d20, tech1, and I get to depths 1 and what's this but an arcade?

So I procede to spend 20 minutes in the arcade going insane with power, rerolling everything in my path. "Ah," I think, "No need to keep this polaroid! Mom drops a polaroid!"

Mom dropped a loving Stars card.

Son of a bitch.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
You could have used the stars card to get back to the arcade and get that polaroid back.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

MasterSlowPoke posted:

You could have used the stars card to get back to the arcade and get that polaroid back.

He rerolled it.

Also Mom should always drop the Polaroid, even if you've already seen it (hell, even if you're holding it at that very second), so I don't know what happened there. The best I can say is "Flash".

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
That's why you have Cheat Engine, just cheat in the polaroid if the game is being a dick.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Color Printer posted:

He rerolled it.

He's got the Habit and the D20. He can roll it again.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

MasterSlowPoke posted:

He's got the Habit and the D20. He can roll it again.

Nope. Once you even see a trinket, you can't get it again. The only exception is Mom dropping the Polaroid (or glitches).

EDIT: The trinket pool never refreshes, either. Once you run out of trinkets, the game starts dropping tarot cards instead.

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 29, 2012

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

According to Edmund McMillen's Formspring, he's working on a remake of The Binding of Isaac that won't be implemented in Flash and will be available for consoles.

Tirius
Aug 16, 2007

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.

Bongo Bill posted:

According to Edmund McMillen's Formspring, he's working on a remake of The Binding of Isaac that won't be implemented in Flash and will be available for consoles.

Holy gently caress, just when I thought I was out... they pull me back in.

Playing BoI till the day I die. And I probably still won't have found a forget-me-now.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Bongo Bill posted:

He also confirms that the update is coming to PC as well. It'll be nice to see how the game works with its own engine. Flash isn't terrible, but the way they built the game on it was. If they'd used fixed-scale sprites rather than vector art, it would have run great.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dominic White posted:

If they'd used fixed-scale sprites rather than vector art, it would have run great.

...well, it would've run at 60 FPS at least.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Dominic White posted:

He also confirms that the update is coming to PC as well. It'll be nice to see how the game works with its own engine. Flash isn't terrible, but the way they built the game on it was. If they'd used fixed-scale sprites rather than vector art, it would have run great.

Oh my god yes

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
There goes another 200-300 hours of my life.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Edit: ignore me, I misread the post.

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!

Bongo Bill posted:

Day 1 purchase. Pre-purchase. Hell, I'll just take bits of code as he goes.

Edit: By the way, someone call Kansas, because this Wayward Son got CARRIED.

Prayer Card + Both Batteries = SO MANY HEARTS.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

MrC posted:

Prayer Card + Both Batteries = SO MANY HEARTS.

Can normal heart containers extend past the normal two rows if you have the Prayer card? :aaa:

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!

KataraniSword posted:

Can normal heart containers extend past the normal two rows if you have the Prayer card? :aaa:

Not sure, I kind of lost track. I picked up the Mitre later on, so I had a ton of soul hearts as well.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

KataraniSword posted:

Don't think so, but I think gaining one would refill a heart at the very least.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Normal hearts can go to 20, can't they?

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.

Sockser posted:

Normal hearts can go to 20, can't they?

I don't think so. I think they fill the two rows and stop.

dancingbears
May 10, 2011

You're an idiot,
so start acting
like one.

Sad Panda posted:

I don't think so. I think they fill the two rows and stop.

I've found this to be true, but if you use Guppy's Paw when you have more than twelve hearts, it uses the 'extra' hearts that are off screen, giving you three soul hearts for a heart container you can't use.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
I am so sad. I had the D20 and a dollar, and not a single arcade spawned. I WANTED TO BREAK YOU GAME.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

What the hell? Playing as Judas, picked up the bandage, got one heart and two soul hearts. That's a raw deal.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Sockser posted:

What the hell? Playing as Judas, picked up the bandage, got one heart and two soul hearts. That's a raw deal.

That's exactly what it does for everyone, so....

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

goferchan posted:

This game is really, really hard starting a fresh save file on the current patch + expansion -- took me forever to get my first Satan kill or even do a lot of the basic challenges that only go through the depths. WAY harder than WotL was at release (albeit with pretty much everything from the base game unlocked on my part)-- I was sick of seeing the grail and prayer cards all the time when the expansion launched, too, but the game is a lot harder with the new balanced drop rate , especially when you don't have everything unlocked.
I bought the game only recently - I'm 20 hours in and have 4 mom kills and have beaten Satan once (god room randomly spawned after mom's heart, lets you go down). At the beginning you really just have to wait until you get some crazy combo like habit + BoR or anything involving Polyphemus. Still haven't bothered unlocking Samson.

I definitely recommend Doctor's Revenge for any new players who want to get a mom kill in.

psivamp
Sep 6, 2011

I am expert in shadowy field of many things.

dancingbears posted:

I've found this to be true, but if you use Guppy's Paw when you have more than twelve hearts, it uses the 'extra' hearts that are off screen, giving you three soul hearts for a heart container you can't use.

I posted about this a couple days back where I demonstrably had I think 16 heart containers -- bought a two Devil items for a total of 3 hearts and then used Guppy's Paw and didn't immediately see any empty red hearts. Curious as to when that happened, because I was fairly certain that there used to be a hard and fast limit at 12 red hearts.

Edit:

No Wave posted:

I bought the game only recently - I'm 20 hours in and have 4 mom kills and have beaten Satan once (god room randomly spawned after mom's heart, lets you go down).
Good going. I'm fairly certain that even forewarned by Xaiter's thread and before Wrath I didn't do that well that fast and Wrath makes things -- if not necessarily objectively harder -- more varied and more work to learn.

psivamp fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Aug 31, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

dancingbears posted:

I've also sold hearts that were off the screen to the devil. So they must be there in some capacity.

So drat stoked for remade BoI with even more poo poo. Also excited there's actually a team of people working on it.

• Locked thread