Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

VJeff posted:

Javik refuses to cuddle with me no matter how many times I ask. he gets to ride the pine. :colbert:

Isn't that what you wanted?

Oh right, different kind of wood.

:downsrim:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Lagomorphic posted:

It's still called Missile Launcher in the kill feed.

So you're saying the buff was, in effect, completely meaningless. :geno:

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Eckertmania posted:

Just getting lucky, really. It also helps that my roommate plays on my account, too, so the game is on for 8-10 hours a day.

Edit: As an aside, Because my roommate and I have spent so much time playing, we've kinda run out of character builds to play. Here is our manifest right here and if anyone wants to look through it and give us ideas, that would be awesome.

I don't have a bioware account so i can't see your manifest, but wacky experimental builds I would be trying if I still played this game (everyone ignore these if you're looking for real advice on building classes):

a) no AR human soldier - concussive shot spam with disruptor falcon
b) no charge novaguard - shockwave detonates multiple BX/tech bursts and so do your 2 novas that aren't on cooldown. requires reave or arc grenade teammates
c) no devastator mode n7 soldier - i'm hoping he's a lot more mobile without devastator
d) crappy class - max pull or max singularity with DOT upgrades + acolyte + fire ammo, can the acolyte make pull or singularity useful (and vice versa??)

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che
So assuming that the upcoming MP DLC includes the Raider and Argus:

Argus: in SP, this seemed like it was a gold Vindicator, and the Vindicator is probably the worst AR

Raider: in SP, this seemed like a bad but light Claymore (not quite as much damage and much worse spread). The DPS is misleading as hell because it fires so quickly that it basically functions like a single shot weapon. Might be useful on a Vanguard if a Vanguard ever wanted a lightweight Claymore that can't be used for sniping...or might just be strictly worse than the Piranha.

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

VJeff posted:

So you're saying the buff was, in effect, completely meaningless. :geno:

Yeah it's better now but still not worth taking. I still need to try out the hydra evolution and see if the stagger is worthwhile but I'm not optimistic.

The New Black
Oct 1, 2006

Had it, lost it.

jpmeyer posted:

So assuming that the upcoming MP DLC includes the Raider and Argus:

I'm not sure this will necessarily be the case. They were both pre-order bonuses and so have actually been in the game from the start without being introduced to MP. Same goes for the Valkyrie. Personally, I'm more hoping for the Punisher and the Adas, both are awesome and fun.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

The New Black posted:

I'm not sure this will necessarily be the case. They were both pre-order bonuses and so have actually been in the game from the start without being introduced to MP. Same goes for the Valkyrie. Personally, I'm more hoping for the Punisher and the Adas, both are awesome and fun.

Well, same thing with the Particle Rifle and Indra, no? But yeah, I'm also expecting the Punisher and Adas, although I never plunked down the $2 to buy them (mainly because I'm not buying :10bux: of Bioware points to buy a $2 DLC.)

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Blompkin posted:

Thanks Pumpking and Thundercracker for the quick responses!

I don't think I explained my questions about stability well enough. I understand why stability is important, especially on guns that have a lot of kick, but I don't see why the gun mod alone isn't enough for some people. I've seen people say how amazing zero recoil is, but there doesn't seem to be much difference to me.

Of course, I'm not getting head shots on really distant enemies with it in either case. Are people really able to reliably get head shots at long distances with a zero recoil assault rifle? If so, then my aim might just suck.

I had a bigger writeup, but it got lost. Basically you're right in that stability is very gun and situationally specific. If you're going for a gunplay character just consider equipping a Barrage Equipment, and fire from cover. Should take care of most of the stability issues. Add stability single-use bonus if needed.

Basically, I've found that only the Hurricane is worth taking stability mods on, and that's because it's a great weapon hampered by an outrageous kick.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
I'm a littler earlier in the unlock process than you guys, but should my gunslinging turian soldier be using a rapid fire thing like the revenant or something slower and punchier like the mattock.

My understanding is that armour mechanics favour big hitters because of a flat Damage reduction, but the headshot bonus favours fast firing weapons. But how does that work out overall? Whats the deal with Shield gate? Is that simply that you can't overpenetrate a shield?

I just unlocked that ridiculous assault rifle that hits like a truck but fires like a bolt action sniper rifle. Good fun but I sucked with it. Cant remember the name, you unlock it fairly late in SP. Starts with an S. Is that viable to pair with the Hurricane I got in a pack (which seems obscene even at level 1)

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Saber, I assume.

Shield gate just means if you fire a bullet that does 100 damage and they have 1 shield point left, you do 1 damage to the shield, but the remaining 99 damage does not carry through directly - depending on difficulty a certain percentage is absorbed before going through.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Psion posted:

Saber, I assume.

Shield gate just means if you fire a bullet that does 100 damage and they have 1 shield point left, you do 1 damage to the shield, but the remaining 99 damage does not carry through directly - depending on difficulty a certain percentage is absorbed before going through.

Since the last few patches, the shield gate maxes at 75%, so if you did 100 damage and the enemy has 1 point of shield, you would do 1 point of shield damage, then 99*.75 99*.25 damage to health.

I have no idea if they round decimals normally, up, or down.

Edit:
:eng99:

Synastren fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 30, 2012

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Synastren posted:

then 99*.75 damage to health.
99*.25 :eng101:

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10
And what makes you think they round at all? You gotta take that last .1 health, mister. :colbert:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Felinoid posted:

And what makes you think they round at all? You gotta take that last .1 health, mister. :colbert:

Also causing an enemy to die with a non-integer health value will somehow marginally increase the chance that vanguards will desync, because Bioware.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Paracelsus posted:

Also causing an enemy to die with a non-integer health value will somehow marginally increase the chance that vanguards will desync, because Bioware.

It would not surprise me in the least if that were one of the reasons for some of the bullshit glitches and bugs this game has.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Fight Club Sandwich posted:

a) no AR human soldier - concussive shot spam with disruptor falcon

I've done this one a few times but took it with AR anyway instead of frag grenade. The falcon fire with interspersed conc. shots won't kill anything super quickly but it's fantastic crowd control due to the area denial power so much staggering causes. In cases of single enemies or pairs you can use AR with the mag extender on the falcon to obviate reloading entirely. It's completely anemic against boss enemies though.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I recently moved and found myself with an Xbox, LCD monitor, and no internet connection. How would I get my loving ME:MP on? Luckily I also recently upgraded my cellphone plan from $40 for 1Gb data(on top of other expenses) to $60 for 6GB data(including all the calling, text, and hidden costs). So I turned on the data sharing dealy on my iPhone, connected my 360 to it through Wifi, and played a Gold match as a Vanguard through my 3G internet connection.

loving A. Worked great for me, and apparently the lag wasn't too bad because all the players who joined stuck around after, even though I had to go. My data usage went from 2.2GB before I played to 2.3GB the next morning, but I only played the one match. Has anybody measured exactly how much data a typical ME:MP match uses?

I realize this is an odd question.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
I'm not really sure if this is exactly the right thread, but I'm thinking about getting the firefight pack for the singleplayer (the good reviews for leviathan drew me back in :negative:), but does anyone know what sort of values they're using?

Like the Krysae was really good when it first came out but from what I understand it's been nerfed into oblivion now, or conversely the Indra was pretty poo poo but now's been buffed into actually alright territory I think? So what's going on with the single player versions is what I'm asking.

Reacean
Nov 29, 2004

Mazerunner posted:

I'm not really sure if this is exactly the right thread, but I'm thinking about getting the firefight pack for the singleplayer (the good reviews for leviathan drew me back in :negative:), but does anyone know what sort of values they're using?

Like the Krysae was really good when it first came out but from what I understand it's been nerfed into oblivion now, or conversely the Indra was pretty poo poo but now's been buffed into actually alright territory I think? So what's going on with the single player versions is what I'm asking.

The Krysae seemed to be the original damage and definitely had the original fire rate when I used it in single player yesterday.

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

Mazerunner posted:

The google doc has both the MP and SP stats on it.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Reacean posted:

The Krysae seemed to be the original damage and definitely had the original fire rate when I used it in single player yesterday.

As far as I know, any change made to multiplayer does not affect single player. That is, all of the SP weapons and powers are still at the same values as they were when the game shipped, for better or worse.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

jpmeyer posted:

The google doc has both the MP and SP stats on it.

Oh wow, I didn't even notice the single-player tab the first time I looked at that, thanks. Looks like everything matches up, except the Krysae and the Indra, which are pre-nerf and buff respectively. Thanks all!

Synastren posted:

As far as I know, any change made to multiplayer does not affect single player. That is, all of the SP weapons and powers are still at the same values as they were when the game shipped, for better or worse.

Yeah, that's what I had figured, I was just wondering about the weapons that were introduced through multiplayer first. I figured there was even odds of them using the original values from when the dlc was dropped as there was using the latest balance patch.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
Man, why didn't I listen months ago when people said the multiplayer in this was actually fun? Decided to give it a go on a whim a couple nights ago and I'm already hooked. I'm objectively pretty bad at video games though so I'm sticking to Bronze matches for the foreseeable future.

On that note, how much of a jump in difficulty is Silver, exactly?

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Man, why didn't I listen months ago when people said the multiplayer in this was actually fun? Decided to give it a go on a whim a couple nights ago and I'm already hooked. I'm objectively pretty bad at video games though so I'm sticking to Bronze matches for the foreseeable future.

Enough to scare you, but not enough to kick your poo poo in if you/your group isn't a sack of potatoes.

Gold can be fairly scary/frustrating..

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...
So does +Tech Damage gear boost Shadow Strike, or only +Power Damage (like Mental Focuser)?

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Flagrant Abuse posted:

Add some goons on Origin (list at the bottom of the OP) and do Gold matches. One or two good players can carry some new/bad ones there and you'll get stuff leveled up that much faster.

Elotana fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Aug 31, 2012

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

Bronze to silver is a pretty big jump. You need a team that is either level 12+ or has some really good equipment to do silver. The jump from silver to gold is much smaller than from bronze to silver.

Remember that bronze, by nature, has to be beatable by four level one characters with base equipment.

Also, as said, add me on origin (gangringo) because everything is more fun with goons.

Gangringo fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Aug 31, 2012

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Gangringo posted:

Bronze to silver is a pretty big jump. You need a team that is either level 12+ or has some really good equipment to do silver. The jump from silver to gold is much smaller than from bronze to silver.

Remember that bronze, by nature, has to be beatable by four level one characters with base equipment.

Also, as said, add me on origin (gangringo) because everything is more fun with goons.

I don't know, I'm not very good and I'm almost never going to lose on silver with no equipment and well lower than 12.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Finally got me one of them new-fangled Shadows, and it seems pretty interesting (using Lagomorphic's no-passive build). However, it seems like it really needs the sort of map where you have decent cover and a way to isolate and pick off individuals or pairs, and London is definitely NOT that map.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Got dropped into a plat lobby with 1 guy. He sent me a message HEY I HAVE 2 FRIENDS COMING THEY ARE REALLY GOOD.

His friends showed up and they wiped on wave 1 on Jade. I didn't bother to gel and let the round end, then left and sent him a message "FYI that wasn't good." :shepface:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Gold sherpa squad reporting for duty :D

Origin id is tripthedeep

If you are just starting out then use a Human Sentinel and warp/throw all day long. This doesn't require any super fancy guns to be effective. Spec for area throw and explosion damage, carry just a predator for rapid cooldowns.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

LogicNinja posted:

So does +Tech Damage gear boost Shadow Strike, or only +Power Damage (like Mental Focuser)?

Neither, it counts as a melee attack. Use hydraulic joints and strength enhancers. Spec tac cloak for melee damage. Use omni-blade, shotgun bayonet, pistol stunner, etc and take the top row of sword mastery, all will boost shadow strike.

Blompkin
Mar 31, 2006

Take care

Flagrant Abuse posted:

I'm just getting the hang of silver myself. Mastering bronze is just a matter of learning the basics of the game and the best way to build/equip/play the class you're using.

In silver you have to be able to understand tactics, and recognize when it's time to fall back. No matter how you're equipped or who you're using, if you get cornered by enough enemies in silver, you will die.

I haven't had much luck with gold. From my limited experience, it mainly involves staying behind cover, letting the enemy come to you, and running if the enemy gets close. It also seems to take a lot longer (45 min+ matches instead of 20ish at least from what I've seen). Teamwork's also a lot more important, but that generally requires a head set and/or playing with people you know.

Personally, I'm doing fine on silver, so I'm hanging out there for now.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Blompkin posted:

I haven't had much luck with gold. From my limited experience, it mainly involves staying behind cover, letting the enemy come to you, and running if the enemy gets close. It also seems to take a lot longer (45 min+ matches instead of 20ish at least from what I've seen). Teamwork's also a lot more important, but that generally requires a head set and/or playing with people you know.

Once you get used to Gold enough you can play it without sticking to cover all the time. Gold usually takes 20-30 minutes for me now, and only matches with teammates who absolutely don't know what they're doing take 40 minutes or more (if we even make it past wave 6). It is easiest with people you know but as long as there's two on the team who know what they're doing you can usually make it to extraction.

LeastActionHero
Oct 23, 2008
Gold only takes longer than 30 minutes if the match goes horribly wrong, or if you have no idea how to actually kill bosses. It's faster if you have nice guns, but biotic and tech combos only depend on your character level. Human Engineers and Sentinels can do fine on gold without firing a single shot.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Blompkin posted:

It also seems to take a lot longer (45 min+ matches instead of 20ish at least from what I've seen). Teamwork's also a lot more important, but that generally requires a head set and/or playing with people you know.

Jesus. :stare:

Most Gold games I'm in run from 25-28 minutes.

Blompkin
Mar 31, 2006

Take care
Like I said, I haven't got the hang of gold matches yet. I was one of those players who didn't know what they were doing. I just wanted to give it a try to see if I was ready for it yet. Obviously not.

I was just speaking from the perspective of a player that's still learning the game. I didn't mean to suggest that gold matches take that long for everybody, just for someone who's still getting the hang of silver matches.

I'm surprised even experienced players don't have to constantly hug cover in gold difficulty, especially by wave 7-10. By those waves my shields were constantly getting blown away if I wasn't behind cover, and that was with a krogan soldier.

Blompkin fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Aug 31, 2012

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

Synonamess Botch posted:

Neither, it counts as a melee attack. Use hydraulic joints and strength enhancers. Spec tac cloak for melee damage. Use omni-blade, shotgun bayonet, pistol stunner, etc and take the top row of sword mastery, all will boost shadow strike.

I could've sworn I heard that power damage boosters improve Shadow Strike too.

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..

LogicNinja posted:

I could've sworn I heard that power damage boosters improve Shadow Strike too.

They do, you can see right on the powers screen that its damage goes up when you take the passives that boost power damage. Maxing shadow strike damage means taking all your melee junk (except the last evolution of the "fitness" tree) AND maxing your power damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyrel Lohr
Mar 1, 2007

No, sir, I don't care for Frungy.

Flagrant Abuse posted:

As other people have already chimed in, the jump from Bronze to Silver is pretty big, and Silver to Gold is just an incremental step by comparison.

I've found that I like to play Bronze with a character until I feel comfortable enough with it to then take it to higher difficulties. If I can solo the Bronze then I feel pretty good about my chances in Silver and Gold. That way my learning curve doesn't get in the way of the team's chance of completing the mission successfully.

My Origin id is tyrellohr - I usually stick to Silver unless I'm with a group that I can depend on to not completely fall apart on Gold. On Silver I can usually pull through as long as there is at least one other good player in the game.

• Locked thread