Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
Does anyone have a good recipe for Chinese tea eggs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
GrAviTy84, you're in the LA area, right? Know a place that does good authentic stir fry? I need a reference point.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Okay, it took a new page for me to get to this one (I work a bunch)

First I skinned, scored and rendered the pork belly, then marinated in a mixture of dark soy, mirin, vinegar and pickled birds-eye chilis:

Next I bought a fancy knife, because I've been eyeing a Chinese knife forever. It came just in time to chop veggies for saozi:

Then I made my own five-spice powder from the stuff I already had. I used star anise, cinnamon (not much), szechuan peppercorns (much), cloves, fennel and a tiny bit of coriander because five just isn't enough:

Here's what the pork belly came out of the bag like (almost cured because of the soy):

These are the noodles I ended up using (they are thin, wheat noodles but they looked eggier than what I saw in pictures online). Also they are at the vanilla grocery store:

Woodears and shiitakes soaking!

Here's an action shot of my wok setup. Not fires of hell, but still goldurn hot:

I browned off the pork belly first with scallions, garlic bean paste, chilis and the soy/mirin/vinegar combo I used for all pieces here. This was a mistake because I ate a lot of it before the soup got on:

I wok-ed the quartered eggplant and some chopped onion then dumped. Then shiitake/woodear and more chilis. Then baby bok choy and shimeji mushrooms last (to keep 'em fresh). I didn't take pictures of these to keep photodump to a minimum.

Here's the finished product minus noodles:

That's a 14" wok. I made waaaay too much but it is delicious. Next time I'd drop the eggplant, cut the woodears less thinly and use homemade duck stock instead of store-bought chicken stock because it was too thin flavor-wise.

BONUS ROUND: TEA EGGS

I was pleased as punch with the five-spice I created, so I featured it with some lapsang souchong tea eggs that I used to tamp down saozi mian into my belly.

All the recipes I saw online involved boiling the living poo poo out of eggs, which always gives the grey center. Since I'm a newbie and I was worried about flavorizing them more, I too boiled the poo poo out of them.

If I were to do them again, however, I've got a pretty good way:

Create broth enough to cover your eggs with this ratio:

1 cup soy sauce
3 T black tea (lapsang souchong was GREAT)
1 T five-spice powder
1 T water (it just seemed right)

Place the whole eggs in the pot with the broth and put over high heat. When the eggs come up to a boil, set a timer for 6 minutes. This will set the whites and leave the yolk soft (just cooked enough to work with).

Turn the heat down to the lowest setting and take the eggs out with a spoon. With that spoon, crack them thoroughly all over. If they're hot, use a towel. DON'T CHILL THEM YET.

As soon as they are cracked, place them back in the broth (which should be steaming but not quite simmering). Let them go this way for 10 minutes then put the whole shebang in the fridge (transferring, obviously, if necessary)

Let them sit for 48 hours and they should be perfectly yellow-yolked and darkly marbled.

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum
OK, I have another Chinese tea egg question. Everything I am seeing says boiling too long gives them the sulfur flavor. If I were to sous vide the eggs at the 140-145f range (I love the runny yolk) for a few hours in the tea/spice mixture, then let sit for the 24-48 hours would they come out decent?

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
If you're lucky enough to have a circulator, then it'd be even easier. Just pop them in at 145 for 20 minutes to set the white, crackle them and vacuum seal them in with the broth for for another hour. Let it sit overnight and they should be good.

I want a puddle machine just for eggs

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Soul Dentist posted:

If you're lucky enough to have a circulator, then it'd be even easier. Just pop them in at 145 for 20 minutes to set the white, crackle them and vacuum seal them in with the broth for for another hour. Let it sit overnight and they should be good.

I want a puddle machine just for eggs

No circulatory unfortunately, but I have really underpowered burners that I can hold water at the right temperature with fairly well. My idea is either the 145for 20 like you said, or just a rolling boil for 2 or 3 min to set the outside, then crack, transfer to a vacuum bag with the broth, and let cook at 145 for a few hours. Of course then let it set in the fridge a day or 2.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I'd say it would work out the same either way. The infusion colors the egg better at a higher temperature, so up to an hour of slow-cooking would be ideal (after that the egg starts to get weird, in my experience).

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.
How authentic or integral is tea seed oil (as at least a high burning point fry oil) to the more traditional dishes?

Is this something used in Chinese-American restaurant kitchens or is the difference between it and say, canola, nearly imperceptible?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Sharks Dont Sleep posted:

How authentic or integral is tea seed oil (as at least a high burning point fry oil) to the more traditional dishes?

Is this something used in Chinese-American restaurant kitchens or is the difference between it and say, canola, nearly imperceptible?

Depends on the region of food they specialize in. Hunan? maybe. It's also expensive to source and taste wise contributes minimally. I would say most places substitute for something cheaper and easier to source.

Steve Yun posted:

GrAviTy84, you're in the LA area, right? Know a place that does good authentic stir fry? I need a reference point.

Um, I like a few places in Rowland Heights, Monterey Park. I only frequent New Golden City Dumpling House and Golden China (next door to it) in the 99 Ranch Market shopping center on Nogales. The Q noodle across the street is pretty good, too. As is Class 302 and Capital Seafood in that shopping center are good, too.

And New Capital Seafood up the highway on Fullerton is ok for dim sum. Not the best but it's good for the area.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Well, poo poo I've been to every one of those.

Guess I'll just order more stir fry

Velvet Fog
Jul 26, 2006
I usually eat rice, chicken/beef, and sweet peas for lunch at work. I stopped buying frozen chicken and started marinating my own. What are some vegetables that I could use to mix things up? I'm tired of eating 6 cans of sweet peas a week.

Crown Face
Sep 24, 2008
There's an amazing Sichuan dry fried long bean/string bean dish that I became pretty much addicted to in China, called 干煸四季豆 (gan bian si ji dou).

It's pretty similar to this recipe http://yireservation.com/recipes/dry-fried-string-beans/ but with no meat.

It's quick, doesn't require many ingredients, and it's really good.

Velvet Fog
Jul 26, 2006

Crown Face posted:

There's an amazing Sichuan dry fried long bean/string bean dish that I became pretty much addicted to in China, called 干煸四季豆 (gan bian si ji dou).

It's pretty similar to this recipe http://yireservation.com/recipes/dry-fried-string-beans/ but with no meat.

I'll give that a try this weekend. I can buy some fresh green beans from the farmers market.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Fried celery and chicken breast is good as well.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

Crown Face posted:

I don't even like green beans and I love dry-fried green beans. That is how good this dish is. Thanks for sharing the recipe, my life is complete now.

freudianquips
Nov 7, 2008
I asked my dad to teach me how to make Chinese dumplings! Well, it actually turns out that he didn't really know how to make the dumplings and had just planned to Google it a few days before to put together his "lesson plan." I adore my dad. =)

Okay, so I should probably mention that he didn't Google anything and decided to go in blind, just winging it. But my dad is the kind of guy who doesn't half-rear end anything. Below our journey.

• 2lbs ground pork
  • half cup of chopped green onions
  • palm full of garlic cloves, minced
  • ~2tbsp ginger, minced
  • 2 giant bunches of chives (washed with the roots cut off)
  • drizzle sesame oil, double drizzle soy sauce, drizzle white rice wine
  • tsp salt, tsp sugar, white pepper
  • two packs of dumpling wrappers

I mixed the meat, garlic, and ginger, sesame oil, soy sauce, white rice wine, salt, sugar, and white pepper together while he chopped chives (it took a surprisingly long time). I have no idea on the amounts of salt, sugar, sesame oil etc because my dad added it all to the meat as I mixed it in. Though I will say we probably should have used more soy sauce and salt because the umami flavor didn't come through enough after cooking.

After we let the meat rest for 2 hours we got to wrapping.

My dad's first dumplings.

Here my dad told me that he used fold dumplings with his roommates when he was a poor college student.
me "I thought you didn't know how to make dumplings!!!"
Dad "I meant just the dumpling meat. All Chinese know how to fold dumplings. It is natural."

Now I think sitting around on a Saturday afternoon with friends and beers to fold some dumplings would be a pretty awesome prelude to a dinner party.

My first attempts at his dumpling pleat method weren't too bad.

My mom jumped into to show off her pleat method too.

I learned both styles of pleats. My dad pleated both sides of the wrapper together. My mom's involved only folding one side of the wrapper and the other side remained flat.

We tried both cooking methods, boiling and pan frying. Pan-frying these guys is way different than cooking frozen ones! I need to practice getting the bottoms crisp without sticking and the rest cooked through. Maybe I'll try steaming them from a few minutes then pan-frying?
\

freudianquips fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Aug 20, 2012

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
My pleating is so bad. Luckily they are delicious regardless of how pretty your pleats are. And I really do want to do a dumpling dinner party some time, because it'd loving rule to sit around, drink some beers, bullshit with friends, and fold your dinner.

That looks almost exactly like my "poo poo I've gotta use up this meat" jiaozi recipe, too. They are uniformly delicious. I usually serve mine with a mix of light soy and black vinegar (maybe with a bit of chili oil), or a sweetened soy sauce (make it by simmering cinnamon, some aromatics like star anise, sugar, and soy sauce...I don't have the proportions) and chili oil.

EDIT: because I'm now really wanting to do the dumpling dinner, what's a good vegetarian filling? Lots of vegetarian friends...

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Aug 20, 2012

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

EDIT: because I'm now really wanting to do the dumpling dinner, what's a good vegetarian filling? Lots of vegetarian friends...
You should have good luck with mixed mushrooms, like those straw mushrooms, wood ear, shiitake, trumpet mushrooms, oyster mushrooms, and maybe a few button mushrooms to bulk that stuff out. Give them a quick stir-fry to cook them through with a bit of oil, garlic, and julienned ginger. Then just chop them up really fine, mix with usual suspects (garlic chives, scallions, a bit of sugar, soy sauce, some sesame oil), and stuff as usual. They taste quite lovely.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
Been working on my cooking skills, mostly learned off my parents just watching them. They're from Guangzhou so it's pretty much Cantonese style cooking. Not that I need to cook much since I'm a first year uni student living in an apartment style hall, but I reckon when I get home I could surprise my parents and it's a great learning experience.

I usually make fried rice; Sugar, salt, soya sauce, peas and spring onion and eggs. Pretty simple but I try building off that. I've been trying to separate the flavors of the rice from the meat, so that involves some sort of marination of the meat before. And from my experiences with doing that with noodles I learned to cook the meat separately.

So yeah what I made was this, or well what's left of it. I should really take more photos in each step but oh well.

I cooked like 2 cups of rice for it, and my flatmates ate most of it. They reckon it's been the best I've made. The way I made the pork was to cut it up into rectangles, I forgot what part cut it was but it's like half fat and half meat. Chucked that into a bowl and added premium dark soya sauce, Korean BBQ beef sauce and sesame oil. Dunno what it would have been like if I left it longer but I left it til I finished frying the rice. Then left that in a pan until the pork fat was soft, added some water occasionally to keep it from burning.

Logiwonk
May 5, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm curious if anyone has a really good recipe for Tofu with Brown Sauce? I has some of this dynamite stuff at my college Chinese lunch-counter thing and I haven't figured out how to make it yet! Tried a few recipes a few years back but no dice, didn't seem like the real thing.

Thanks!

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

Can you eat egg? The standard 素包子 or 饺子 in Beijing is 韭菜鸡蛋 (Garlic chives and egg). Just diced garlic chives, salt, a little black vinegar and scrambled eggs cooked in plenty of oil.

If you can eat shrimp, you can make 三鲜 which consists of small little dehydrated shrimps, diced shiitake mushroom, and egg. Sometimes nappa cabbage inside too.

I loving love dumplings. Cooked up a big batch tonight. I normally cook pork and garlic chives and another pot of egg and garlic chives. Tonight I tried making 西红柿鸡蛋 (tomato and egg) but they didnt turn out well. They were lacking flavour and really hard to fold the wrappers, they were too wet.

One of my student's grandfathers told me that they make pumpkin jiaozi. Ive never seen or eaten them, this this autumn I want to try them. Anyone had them or know more ahout them?

Tig Ol Bitties
Jan 22, 2010

pew pew pew

Logiwonk posted:

I'm curious if anyone has a really good recipe for Tofu with Brown Sauce? I has some of this dynamite stuff at my college Chinese lunch-counter thing and I haven't figured out how to make it yet! Tried a few recipes a few years back but no dice, didn't seem like the real thing.

Thanks!

I too have been trying to master Tofu with Brown Sauce, and I have had the best results with this recipe:
http://vegalchemist.blogspot.com/2009/03/broccoli-and-tofu-with-brown-sauce.html
It's vegan, but most places add oyster sauce and/or replace the water with chicken broth. While the consistency is the same, I can never get the taste quite perfect. Maybe it depends on if you use a wok or not? If anyone has a better recipe, I would love to see it as well.

Logiwonk
May 5, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Tig Ol Bitties posted:

I too have been trying to master Tofu with Brown Sauce, and I have had the best results with this recipe:
http://vegalchemist.blogspot.com/2009/03/broccoli-and-tofu-with-brown-sauce.html
It's vegan, but most places add oyster sauce and/or replace the water with chicken broth. While the consistency is the same, I can never get the taste quite perfect. Maybe it depends on if you use a wok or not? If anyone has a better recipe, I would love to see it as well.

I will try this recipe this weekend. Thanks! I will probably use oyster sauce and veg broth for my first attempt, I'll take some pictures of how it goes and post them up.

Tig Ol Bitties
Jan 22, 2010

pew pew pew

Logiwonk posted:

I will try this recipe this weekend. Thanks! I will probably use oyster sauce and veg broth for my first attempt, I'll take some pictures of how it goes and post them up.

Please do! Also, please let me know if the oyster sauce really makes a huge difference.

pogothemonkey0
Oct 13, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:
If you're into vegan/vegetarian, you can buy vegetarian oyster sauce that is made with mushrooms. I've heard good things about it in general but don't have any specific brand recommendations.

eine dose socken
Mar 9, 2008

pogothemonkey0 posted:

If you're into vegan/vegetarian, you can buy vegetarian oyster sauce that is made with mushrooms. I've heard good things about it in general but don't have any specific brand recommendations.

I use Healthy Boy Brand Mushroom Vegetarian Sauce when cooking for vegetarian friends.

The taste is similar to oyster sauce, a bit sweeter and less salty, but it's close enough. It has some thickener in it, so be aware of that, it changes how your dish comes out.
It doesn't bother me, just cut down on cornstarch or other thickeners.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
How long can I expect the cheap rice wine I bought for cooking to stay good after I opened it? I'm storing it in the cupboard.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

The Belgian posted:

How long can I expect the cheap rice wine I bought for cooking to stay good after I opened it? I'm storing it in the cupboard.
Well I've just about finished off my cheap-rear end rice wine bottle after four months and I kept it in my pantry. Seemed to taste fine, and I haven't died. That being said, I don't know if this is the Right Way/Safe Way to do it.

EDIT:

Aero737 posted:

Can you eat egg? The standard 素包子 or 饺子 in Beijing is 韭菜鸡蛋 (Garlic chives and egg). Just diced garlic chives, salt, a little black vinegar and scrambled eggs cooked in plenty of oil.

If you can eat shrimp, you can make 三鲜 which consists of small little dehydrated shrimps, diced shiitake mushroom, and egg. Sometimes nappa cabbage inside too.

I loving love dumplings. Cooked up a big batch tonight. I normally cook pork and garlic chives and another pot of egg and garlic chives. Tonight I tried making 西红柿鸡蛋 (tomato and egg) but they didnt turn out well. They were lacking flavour and really hard to fold the wrappers, they were too wet.

One of my student's grandfathers told me that they make pumpkin jiaozi. Ive never seen or eaten them, this this autumn I want to try them. Anyone had them or know more ahout them?
Awesome. I'm out of wrappers or I'd make some of these right the gently caress now. And do you happen to have transliterations? I can read precisely zero Chinese, and one of the folks who may come to any hypothetical dumpling dinner speaks Chinese. I'd like to have some words to butcher.

Wait, I think I know the first two :neckbeard:. Baozi and jiaozi. That's it, though.

dino. posted:

You should have good luck with mixed mushrooms, like those straw mushrooms, wood ear, shiitake, trumpet mushrooms, oyster mushrooms, and maybe a few button mushrooms to bulk that stuff out. Give them a quick stir-fry to cook them through with a bit of oil, garlic, and julienned ginger. Then just chop them up really fine, mix with usual suspects (garlic chives, scallions, a bit of sugar, soy sauce, some sesame oil), and stuff as usual. They taste quite lovely.
I would imagine that fresh would be way better than rehydrated (except for the wood ear, which I've never seen fresh, ever, not even in Chinatown in Houston)? Gonna do this.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Aug 30, 2012

aejix
Sep 18, 2007

It's about finding that next group of core players we can win with in the next 6, 8, 10 years. Let's face it, it's hard for 20-, 21-, 22-year-olds to lead an NHL team. Look at the playoffs.

That quote is from fucking 2018. Fuck you Jim
Pillbug
This may belong in the canning thread but thought I would ask here - I have poo poo all of an idea when it comes to asian cooking but see quite a lot of recipes that require or recommend adding sichuan pickled vegetables. Does anyone have any experience in making their own sichuan pickled vegetables that could share their general technique/base recipe?

vvvv Legend, thanks heaps

aejix fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Aug 31, 2012

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

aejix posted:

This may belong in the canning thread but thought I would ask here - I have poo poo all of an idea when it comes to asian cooking but see quite a lot of recipes that require or recommend adding sichuan pickled vegetables. Does anyone have any experience in making their own sichuan pickled vegetables that could share their general technique/base recipe?

Repost from another request in another thread.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Here you go, I've added my personal opinions on the recipe and how I do it differently in parentheses.

Fuchsia Dunlop posted:

Brine:
2.25 cups water
1/4 cup sea salt
4 dried chilies (not enough, I would add more, I would also grind them)
1/2 teaspoon whole Sichuan peppercorn (I would toast this first)
2 tsp strong rice wine or vodka
1/2 star anise
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 inch piece of ginger, peeled (and rough sliced)
a chunk of cassia or 1/3 of a cinnamon stick

Basically, bring brine to a boil, add all spices, let brine cool. Put cleaned and prepped veg into a clean, sanitized wide mouthed jar, add cooled brine. Fashion some sort of method to keep the veg under the brine surface, I use a sandwich bag filled with more brine. Let ferment in a cool, dark place. Takes about a week at first to ferment, you can always replenish the veg to the old brine and it will take a bit less time in consecutive batches this way, as the fermenting yeasts and bacteria will already be present in large quantities. If you choose to reuse the brine, you will need to top off with more "fresh" brine as the salt levels will change, and the brine will evaporate, etc. over time.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

Awesome. I'm out of wrappers or I'd make some of these right the gently caress now. And do you happen to have transliterations? I can read precisely zero Chinese, and one of the folks who may come to any hypothetical dumpling dinner speaks Chinese. I'd like to have some words to butcher.

Wait, I think I know the first two :neckbeard:. Baozi and jiaozi. That's it, though.

素包子 Jiaozi (boiled dumplings)
饺子 Baozi (steamed dumplings)
韭菜鸡蛋 JiuCaiJiDan (JiuCai means Garlic chives, JiDan is egg)
三鲜 SanXian (San means Three, Xian means Delicious/Fresh)
西红柿鸡蛋 XiHongShiJiDan(XiHongShi is tomato, Ji Dan is egg)

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I'm in China and just bought a small rice cooker, and was wondering what some good rice plus something else dishes were. It came with a little steamer tray so I'm sure I could put some veggies or something in there but there has to be a bunch of good simple things I can do.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

You can put lachang sausage on top of the rice when the water is starting to be absorbed and leave it to steam with the rice for another 20 minutes or so. Bleeds all the lovely pork fat into the rice :kimchi:

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

If you are out of wrappers you can make little 'omelette' dumplings ... I had some in china that were chicken and goji berry and some with minced pork and garlic chives. add a enough beaten duck egg to be about 4cm across to a hot pan, tsp of filling, fold, let it seal, flip the a splash of water or stock and lid on so it's a little steamed.

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

aejix posted:

vvvv Legend, thanks heaps

In recipes when they refer to Sichuan pickled vegetables they're usually referring to zha cai.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009
I crave egg drop soup with all my soup. Please someone, give me a good recipe.

Edit: Aero 737, you reversed jiaozi (餃子) and baozi (包子).

Brennanite fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Sep 2, 2012

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Brennanite posted:

I crave egg drop soup with all my soup. Please someone, give me a good recipe.

Edit: Aero 737, you reversed jiaozi (餃子) and baozi (包子).

It's pretty much just a Chinese chicken broth with egg whisked in and cornstarch to thicken. Make the broth with onion, ginger, and scallions.

You can supplement the soup with some veg, silken tofu, or shrooms if you want.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Is it possible to wok with a halogen cooktop?

I am unable to get a gas top in my current flat.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Sjurygg posted:

You can put lachang sausage on top of the rice when the water is starting to be absorbed and leave it to steam with the rice for another 20 minutes or so. Bleeds all the lovely pork fat into the rice :kimchi:

I had this tonight and it was delicious, thanks for the tip :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Sjurygg posted:

I picked up a packet of these at the asian grocer on a whim and have been a little confused on how to consume them. Any advice other than the above?

The writing is all in crazy moon language so I'm not sure if they are cooked (but I believe they are).