Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

keep punching joe posted:

I checked out Ghostwatch again a couple of years back, it's still creepy in parts, but recognising d-list character actors from other British TV productions playing the role of members of the public and 'experts' sort of broke the suspension of disbelief. Plus the two little girls are incredibly stage school and posh despite the fact that it is set in a relatively lower middle class housing estate.

It's all on Google video, if you don't fancy shelling out $97 for the DVD (isn't worth it honestly).

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6073447872198040913

As a Ghostwatch bonus you can also watch the angry reaction from viewers on the BBC's Bite Back show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUyhN-gq8xk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgrI5ZRuKdc

Just saw it and loved it, but now Im trying to hunt down the sequel "31/10" (which is available as a free pdf) and it seems like Stephen Volk's website is down, does anyone know if there is a mirror somewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

papasyhotcakes posted:

Just saw it and loved it, but now Im trying to hunt down the sequel "31/10" (which is available as a free pdf) and it seems like Stephen Volk's website is down, does anyone know if there is a mirror somewhere?

It's down? I clicked the pdf link on the wiki and it took me right to it.

Aorist
Apr 25, 2006

Denham's does it!

Glamorama26 posted:

The sewer talk got me to rewatch C.H.U.D. earlier and it's still such delightful stupid fun. Also, I always forget John Goodman randomly pops up in it.

I would watch the 2 and a half hour Blair Witch and either be beyond terrified or regretting the decision the entire time.

That's exactly why I'd love to see it. Agonizing aimlessness and regret would only add fuel to the thematic fire.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

For those either unaware of this news, or those who have never been exposed to Troma films, Troma has officially uploaded 150 films from their catalog to Youtube for free viewing.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Any stand outs that I should watch? I've tried to watch a few of their movies but most are hard to watch. Tromeo and Juliet, Toxic Avenger, and Class of Nuke Em High are the only ones that I really enjoyed.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Blood, Boobs and Beasts is a pretty decent documentary over B-horror auteur Don Dohler. Luther The Geek is pretty great trashy gorey fun. And Poultrygeist is the closest a new film has really got to capturing the old Troma bat shittery. There's also some pretty good older films in there like White zombie that are certainly worth watching.

Other than that, you need something with alcohol in it to really enjoy most of those. I hardily recommend this by the way.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

You have to see Poultrygeist if you haven't already.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Harminoff posted:

Any stand outs that I should watch? I've tried to watch a few of their movies but most are hard to watch. Tromeo and Juliet, Toxic Avenger, and Class of Nuke Em High are the only ones that I really enjoyed.

I have hazy memories of Blondes Have More Guns as being quite fun.

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Harminoff posted:

I really enjoyed Terror Firmer, if it's on there.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Aside from the ones mentioned above, Redneck Zombies, Rabid Grannies, There's Something Out There, The Children, Luther the Geek, The Last Horror Film, Monster in the Closet and Frightmare are Troma titles worth watching.

Holdenmagroyn
Mar 17, 2007
40 too long???

Keanu Grieves posted:

While searching for "Incident at Lake County," I found this.

It looks awesome.

It isn't.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

mysterious frankie posted:

It's down? I clicked the pdf link on the wiki and it took me right to it.

Well it seems like it was down for the brief moment I tried to download it, but nevermind got it working now too.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Patterns is an excellent movie, and it's written by Rod Serling.

the_Vandal
Feb 7, 2004

You make me wanna cry
You make me wanna die
I love you, I love you, I love you,
I love you, I love you
Night Man

Harminoff posted:

As others have said, check out Terror Firmer. Also check out Sgt. Kabukiman NYPD, and Toxic Avenger 4: Citizen Toxie. Toxic Avenger 2 and 3 aren't all that good and you can skip them if you want. Toxic Avenger 4 is my favorite of the series and has Lemmy in it.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth; fucked both a chick and her mom

I will get anal. Oh yes.
Just watched V/H/S. Thought it was decent, nothing mind blowing, overall gets a 6/10.

Thoughts on the stories:

1: Vampire Succubus Thingamajig: How loving stupid are these guys? There is something seriously wrong with that girl from the beginning, and it's loving obvious from the beginning. I've been poo poo faced drunk, alot, and even in my most pickled I would like to think that I would have been creeped out by her. Moving on. Fratboy douchebags move back to the hotel room, where the plan was for one guy with glasses to apparently film two guys getting laid. The logistics on this one were a little off. Vamp chick fucks poo poo up, I liked it, good and weird. 8/10

2: Brokeback Mountain: Aggressive Lesbian Version: God that was boring. I know characater development is important but the first 15 minutes of this part literally contribute nothing to the ending, nor does it foreshadow the ending in any way. It's the horror equivalent of ZANY MONKEYCHEESE LOL. Ok, I loving get it, the card from the fortune teller hints at the two chicks getting back together. But at no point did the marriage appear to be bad enough to kill the dude to get out. He didn't seem abusive, they seemed to be having fun, etc. It just seemed dull and off, even the brutal knife kill at the end couldn't redeem this. 2/10

3: Jason aquires a Predator suit: Whoever cast the "lead" girl for this one needs to be taken out in the yard behind the shed and put down like Old Yeller. Holy god she was a bad actress. Frankly, out of all of the ideas, this is one that I feel would have been suited better to a full movie because the concept of slasher that can only be quasi-detected with A/V equipment is really interesting. I think the technical aspects of this story were exceptionally well done, and I would like to see more from whoever did this. I did like the female lead being sexually agressive and the guy appearing uncomfortable with it, good change of pace. 6/10

4: MTV's 16 and Pregant by Ghost Aliens: Whoever cast the boyfriend for this one needs to go out in the yard too. loving hot looking chicks are showing their boobs on the internet to you, and you're just sitting there looking like you just snorted two Oxycontin and a Xanax for good measure and you're 3 seconds away from nodding out. This one just needed more explanation. Alien babies that get implanted from behind? Did they keep implanating the first girl? Was the second girl in rotation all along? What drugs was the director on to come up with this idea? Pixie haired girl just seemed really sweet and likable, and this was a harsh contrast to the complete lack of personality exhibited by cardboard man. 5/10

5: Scooby Doo For Adults: I loving loved this one. Pretty much blows most haunted house movies out of the water, and does so in 20 minutes. Great chemistry between the four guys, their reactions were almost completely believable for the situations, and the awkward "Yeah! Shout him down!" moment had my girlfriend and I actually laughing. I liked how without shouting "HEY VIEWERS THESE GUYS ARE DECENT DUDES" they were established as likeable by going back to get the girl. None of them wanted to do it, but everyone just threw in at once and even took turns carrying her. I cared more about these guys than every character in all of the previous shorts combined. That's why I don't get the ending of this one. Yeah I know everyone has to die, but they saved the girl from the house, and she responds by killing them? Pissed me off, otherwise, I loved it.

6: Zombie Grandpa: I know this one had to be here to drive the plot, but drat did it suck. The characters were awful in literally every way, the dialogue was bad, there was no chemistry between anyone, nothing they did was rooted in logic in anyway, and the moustache was the creepiest thing in this story. How many loving guys had to dissappear from the same room before anyone thought something might be awry? Apparently, all of them. Ugh this was just bad in every way.

7: The overall plot: How the gently caress did any of this end up on a VHS tape? Why would anyone put a Skype conversation on VHS? Furthermore, how did the Skype conversation get on VHS? With the other stories everyone died and presumably someone else "found" the footage, etc. But with the Skype story, no one died that I could tell. It just doesn't make any sense.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
James Stokoe did a fan movie poster for V/H/S

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

James Stokoe did a fan movie poster for V/H/S

That's....that's about right actually.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Weren't these all the alternate endings there were?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcL-YppYD-c

Spoiler alert! They're all terrible.

I know that there was a 'Witch' ending planned, but it's entirely possible it didn't get past the design stage. I was almost certain I read an interview with the directors where they said they shot it but it looked terrible. There must've been something else in place though since the interview that explains the Rustin Parr ending was part of re-shoots done on the film.

Saying that, I like the ending with Mike just staring at Heather instead of facing the corner, as it strikes me as a little more sinister.

As for the deleted footage, a lot of it has shown up in the past. TV airings have a few deleted scenes inserted into the closing credits. One is Mike saying goodbye to his family, the other is a scene where Heather tells Mike it's all her fault.

Amazon has a couple of scenes that were 'exclusive' to them and some scenes turned up with various promo material. The 'soundtrack' cd had some on there, as did the VHS and DVD.

Interestingly enough, those alternate endings show how 'planned' those final shots were. It's probably the only 'directed' segment in the whole film.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

DrVenkman posted:

Saying that, I like the ending with Mike just staring at Heather instead of facing the corner, as it strikes me as a little more sinister.

As an isolated clip, maybe. But in the context of the movie where you've been hinted at as to what Mike standing in the corner means, the original ending is infinitely creepier.

DrVenkman posted:

As for the deleted footage, a lot of it has shown up in the past. TV airings have a few deleted scenes inserted into the closing credits. One is Mike saying goodbye to his family, the other is a scene where Heather tells Mike it's all her fault.

Amazon has a couple of scenes that were 'exclusive' to them and some scenes turned up with various promo material. The 'soundtrack' cd had some on there, as did the VHS and DVD.

Interestingly enough, those alternate endings show how 'planned' those final shots were. It's probably the only 'directed' segment in the whole film.

That's really interesting.

Wait, soundtrack?

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

Dissapointed Owl posted:

As an isolated clip, maybe. But in the context of the movie where you've been hinted at as to what Mike standing in the corner means, the original ending is infinitely creepier.

That's really interesting.

Wait, soundtrack?

Ha yes, cannily titled 'Josh's Mix Tape'. It was supposed to be the tape that was found in his car. It's mainly goth/industrial type stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Blair-Witch-Project-Enhanced/dp/B00000JHKV

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

DrVenkman posted:

Ha yes, cannily titled 'Josh's Mix Tape'. It was supposed to be the tape that was found in his car. It's mainly goth/industrial type stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Blair-Witch-Project-Enhanced/dp/B00000JHKV

Should've been an actual tape. :colbert:

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

I've always wished for a more comprehensive DVD of Blair Witch. There's got to be a TON of extra footage, and I'd love to see some of the missteps and extra material that went into the movie. I don't think they ever made a new version of it that I know of - not even a good 10th anniversary - and it's the kind of movie that deserves it.

That being said, I still think the movie has one of the most interesting commentary tracks I ever listened to. It was one of the first DVDs I owned, and the idea of commentary tracks was still novel to me. It's a great listen - it really gets into how much of the movie was planned, how much wasn't, and how they made this thing. If you're a fan of the movie, you really should give it a listen.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

rxcowboy posted:

V/H/S

2: Brokeback Mountain: Aggressive Lesbian Version

This was actually my favorite, precisely because it was the only one that holds up under scrutiny, and in fact encourages you to think about it. The first fifteen minutes seem completely pointless at first, until the final few seconds -- when the reveal locks everything that came before into place.

What's brilliant about this segment is that this couple hates each other, but of course they aren't going to record that stuff for their mementos or whatever the gently caress. They're in trouble and have been in trouble a long time, because they're both selfish assholes, but like most selfish assholes, they're adept enough to hide it from the hypothetical viewer of their vacation footage (ostensibly themselves in the future, but really, you) except for small, bizarre cracks and disagreements. Retroactively you can realize how close they are to fighting at pretty much every moment, and how the lady-half has been apparently planning this for some time, since her partner is following them and scoping out canyons where to dump the body and so on. The downside is that it's not so much a horror short as it is a kind of blackly comic psychological thriller about how petty murder is.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

ClydeUmney posted:

I've always wished for a more comprehensive DVD of Blair Witch. There's got to be a TON of extra footage

I think the consensus was that they had around 20 hours of "usable" footage, so yeah, there's a lot of poo poo just sitting around somewhere.

rxcowboy
Sep 13, 2008

I will get anal. Oh yes.

H.P. Shivcraft posted:

This was actually my favorite, precisely because it was the only one that holds up under scrutiny, and in fact encourages you to think about it. The first fifteen minutes seem completely pointless at first, until the final few seconds -- when the reveal locks everything that came before into place.

What's brilliant about this segment is that this couple hates each other, but of course they aren't going to record that stuff for their mementos or whatever the gently caress. They're in trouble and have been in trouble a long time, because they're both selfish assholes, but like most selfish assholes, they're adept enough to hide it from the hypothetical viewer of their vacation footage (ostensibly themselves in the future, but really, you) except for small, bizarre cracks and disagreements. Retroactively you can realize how close they are to fighting at pretty much every moment, and how the lady-half has been apparently planning this for some time, since her partner is following them and scoping out canyons where to dump the body and so on. The downside is that it's not so much a horror short as it is a kind of blackly comic psychological thriller about how petty murder is.

Hmmm, allow me to retort:

I agree with your analysis 100 percent that the relationship is strained. The little lines like "This wouldn't be the first time you've decided to treat yourself" where the contempt just starts leaking in by the end of the sentence do give it away. The problem isn't that it doesn't hold up, it almost completely holds up to scrutiny. It's the pacing. We've had a frantic intro, a frantic first episode, and then, BAM. You're right, its a psychological thriller and a well thought out one, but it just doesn't fit. The pacing is too slow and deliberate, it basically kills the momentum of the movie in my opinion. Had it been put at the end, after Skype Ghosts and before Haunted House, I think it would have "fit" better if that makes any sense.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

ClydeUmney posted:

I've always wished for a more comprehensive DVD of Blair Witch. There's got to be a TON of extra footage, and I'd love to see some of the missteps and extra material that went into the movie. I don't think they ever made a new version of it that I know of - not even a good 10th anniversary - and it's the kind of movie that deserves it.

That being said, I still think the movie has one of the most interesting commentary tracks I ever listened to. It was one of the first DVDs I owned, and the idea of commentary tracks was still novel to me. It's a great listen - it really gets into how much of the movie was planned, how much wasn't, and how they made this thing. If you're a fan of the movie, you really should give it a listen.

I imagine a lot of it would just be poo poo mind. The hotel footage was 90 minutes long, with the cast just getting drunk. They were basically told to just film every thing and it will all be sorted out afterwards.

What is interesting is that Mike and Heather didn't get on that much, and the raw footage is very heavy with them arguing. But the finished footage doesn't really reflect that at all. As the makers said, it just made it look like the guys were ganging up on her.

What's also pretty impressive is that they were given a dossier on the legend of the Burkitsville witch, but it wasn't until the film was released that they realised the whole thing was made up and the 'mythology' was just another trick by the Directors.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I watched Area 407 last night and...well er, I kind of enjoyed it. I dunno, something about it worked for me. This could be the combination of "ZOMG Dinosaurs in a found footage movie" and the large amounts of rum that were in my system at the time, but gently caress it, I had fun with it. It's not GOOD, but I thought it worked well within its' budget limitations and I actually even liked a performance or two in it.

I still accept that this may make me an idiot.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I think there's just a chumminess to the improvisation that works. It's not good but I was never bored by it.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
So I noticed the newer Amityville Horror movie was on Netflix instant last night and decided to watch it. As expected it was fairly meh with some rather stand out portions of poo poo, the primary issue of which being the child actor filming everything (cause everything needs to be found footage). Nearly every time this kid was in trouble or scared he would let out the most half hearted scream or exclamation that it was painful to listen to. Then there were the deaths themselves; now I suppose some of them worked (such as the sex crazed teens at the start) but then some of them went back into the realm of the bizarrely stupid (the old army buddy's well acted death by electrocution). I mean it wasn't without a few scares but they were horribly overshadowed by just the kid's 'acting' and the bizarre motivations of the family.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

There seems to be an ominous lack of discussion regarding The Possession on these forums. So, how bad is it? Has anyone even bothered with it?

e: holy poo poo, Ole Bornedal, the director, wrote and directed Just Another Love Story. It's not a horror but it's one of my favorite Netflix finds. I'm interested now.

zombieman
Aug 8, 2003

That's one happy fucking egg!
On the subject of The Blair Witch Project, has anyone seen the blu-ray? Is it worth upgrading?

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I think there's just a chumminess to the improvisation that works. It's not good but I was never bored by it.

That's a possibility. I thought the fellow who played Charlie did a pretty drat good job of giving his stereotypical rear end in a top hat character a little more to work with and enjoyed the air marshall and male leads efforts.

I never want to hear that squeaky voiced teenaged girl ever speak again however.

Oh yeah and the T-rex attack at the end genuinely startled the hell outta me even though I saw it coming from a mile away.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Them clearly improvising everything sells me more on the fact that this is "real" and nobody knows what's going on. In most found footage stuff, "bad" acting is people clearly acting out a script. I prefer the crummy community theatre stuff to very polished acting in this kinda movie.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
So it's been a while since I posted in CineD and I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I think it is. I finally watched Night Watch for the first time the other night and I just need to ask, what's the big deal?

I feel like I've been hearing nothing but praise from horror circles about this movie since it came out, and don't get me wrong it was pretty cool at some parts, but it just didn't click with me as being a "great" horror film.

It kinda actually struck me as a Russian, lower-budget Underworld, albeit with a better plot and cooler moments.

Since I went in totally blind except for the praise I've heard heaped upon it, and I'm not well versed in Russian horror cinema, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything that would have made me appreciate it more.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

LightsGameraAction posted:

So it's been a while since I posted in CineD and I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this, but I think it is. I finally watched Night Watch for the first time the other night and I just need to ask, what's the big deal?

I feel like I've been hearing nothing but praise from horror circles about this movie since it came out, and don't get me wrong it was pretty cool at some parts, but it just didn't click with me as being a "great" horror film.

It kinda actually struck me as a Russian, lower-budget Underworld, albeit with a better plot and cooler moments.

Since I went in totally blind except for the praise I've heard heaped upon it, and I'm not well versed in Russian horror cinema, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything that would have made me appreciate it more.
At the time there really wasn't in the way of big budget Russian blockbusters and Night Watch and Day Watch were some of the most expensive movies made. It made Russia proud and it got some attention outside of Russia (name of those big Russian movies we've heard of). I wouldn't really call the movie horror though; it was more just an action movie with some horror themes. It was enjoyable though for a pointless action movie with a confused story, but I doubt the final part of the trilogy will ever get made.

VVVVVVV
I'd say if you didn't like Night Watch then you probably won't like Day Watch.

discworld is all I read fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Sep 1, 2012

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Niggurath posted:

At the time there really wasn't in the way of big budget Russian blockbusters and Night Watch and Day Watch were some of the most expensive movies made. It made Russia proud and it got some attention outside of Russia (name of those big Russian movies we've heard of). I wouldn't really call the movie horror though; it was more just an action movie with some horror themes. It was enjoyable though for a pointless action movie with a confused story, but I doubt the final part of the trilogy will ever get made.

Is Day Watch worth watching?

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001

RightClickSaveAs posted:

There seems to be an ominous lack of discussion regarding The Possession on these forums. So, how bad is it? Has anyone even bothered with it?

Girlfriend wanted to see it, so we went last night. She liked it enough, but I thought it was pretty bad. A few jump scares, but nothing unpredictable (doubly so if you've seen the trailer) and not particularly frightening. JDM's acting borders on solid, but most performances are bad - very general spoiler I suppose the supremely useless older sister plays her part well, she's just not interesting in the least. A few absurd moments remind you that Sam Raimi is involved, particularly a few of the final scenes. I'd say save it for DVD/Netflix.

Edit: how did I not mention Matisyahu?!

JoeRules fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Sep 2, 2012

WhatAliceFoundThere
Jul 18, 2007
Dressed like a victorian at a swimming pool
So I've decided to properly work my way through the more famous "New French Extremism" horror films, as I've only watched half watched a couple of them.

Started with "Switchblade Romance" (Haute Tension) today and I was enjoying it right up until that stupid twist. I knew a twist was coming due to something I'd read, made a guess at what it was, but when it finally happened it just made so little sense that it actually made me angry.

The film totally lost me for the last act with the wholeconcrete saw/car disembowelment, which is annoying because that is totally the kind of scene I was expecting from this kind of film and it delivered what this "genre" is supposed to deliver well. It's genuinely soured the rest of the film and I like it a lot less than when I was actually watching it.

I assume I can only go up from here? The films that interest me and the order I plan to watch them in are - À l'intérieur, Frontiere(s), ILS and finally Martyrs. I want to watch Frontiere(s) and ILS back to back because they are both linked to a project I'm working on, and I'm saving Martyrs until last because it's the one no one would shut up about.

Any other suggestions from anyone?

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

JoeRules posted:

Girlfriend wanted to see it, so we went last night. She liked it enough, but I thought it was pretty bad. A few jump scares, but nothing unpredictable (doubly so if you've seen the trailer) and not particularly frightening. JDM's acting borders on solid, but most performances are bad - very general spoiler I suppose the supremely useless older sister plays her part well, she's just not interesting in the least. A few absurd moments remind you that Sam Raimi is involved, particularly a few of the final scenes. I'd say save it for DVD/Netflix.

Edit: how did I not mention Matisyahu?!

Is it better than the other dybbuk movie, The Unborn? Because The Unborn is garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just a fool
Oct 14, 2004
Well they call me the hunter, baby that's my name, they call me the hunter, that's how I got my fame.

RightClickSaveAs posted:

e: holy poo poo, Ole Bornedal, the director, wrote and directed Just Another Love Story. It's not a horror but it's one of my favorite Netflix finds. I'm interested now.

We saw The Possession earlier and I liked it. I got a little creeped out here and there, especially when the demon crawled out from the dad's mouth at the end. My wife said she wanted more scariness from the possessed girl than seeing her running away from her father so much. I thought it was pretty decent.