Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They should make a Princess and the Frog level so Facilier could summon the forces of hell while singing with Keith David's voice.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

:lol:

Speaking of which, bring those mother fuckers from Final Fantasy back. Also, put a couple dudes from like XIII in it. Snow and Seifer have a doppelgänger showdown!!! They loving love Lightning, so I wouldn't be shocked to see her make an appearance.

I would love for Lightning to walk into KH and completely shrug off Sora while she's kicking rear end in the OLYMPUS COLISEUM... because it's gonna come back, you know?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Sex_Ferguson posted:

They should make a Princess and the Frog level so Facilier could summon the forces of hell while singing with Keith David's voice.

I would love for Lightning to walk into KH and completely shrug off Sora while she's kicking rear end in the OLYMPUS COLISEUM... because it's gonna come back, you know?

I agree with this post in its entirety.

Maybe throw Sazh in there. Or Vanille and Fang.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
I desperately want to see a Princess and the Frog level, because the aesthetics would be gorgeous. And Tangled because I want Rapunzel the kick rear end with her hair as a party member.

Please, no more Coliseum, though. I've been through it so many times I hear the overture in my nightmares.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Sex_Ferguson posted:

"Let me introduce you to my new friends on the other side."

Maybe he'd actually get the screentime he should've had in the drat movie.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Kingdom Hearts style remix of When We're Human and Friends on the Other Side (battle tune) :swoon:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Liar Lyre posted:

They should bring back Port Royal. Barbossa was cool, but I wanna whoop Davey Jones' butt!

Also, I beat Phantom for the first time and he didn't cast Doom once. It was so weird.

Technically he doesn't cast Doom. Just that you die when the clock reaches midnight. It's called Doom because Kingdom Hearts fans tend to also be Final Fantasy fans.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

effervescible posted:

I desperately want to see a Princess and the Frog level, because the aesthetics would be gorgeous. And Tangled because I want Rapunzel the kick rear end with her hair as a party member.

Please, no more Coliseum, though. I've been through it so many times I hear the overture in my nightmares.

Well sorry to tell you this but, it's gonna come back.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I suspect they put the Coliseum in the games so they can give James Woods more money.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Dr Pepper posted:

I suspect they put the Coliseum in the games so they can give James Woods more money.

A worthwhile investment I'd say

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Dr Pepper posted:

How much money would it cost to have everyone voiced either by James Woods, Christoper Lee, Corey Burton or Billy Zane? Because I need the game that does this :allears:

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.

Macaluso posted:

Kingdom Hearts style remix of When We're Human and Friends on the Other Side (battle tune) :swoon:

Mm... Yes.

Would a Fox in the Hound world ever fit into KH? I loved that movie and its song "Best of Friends". Todd is one of my favorite Disney characters and I would love to fight by his side.

Just got to the Country of the Musketeers in KH:DDD. Is this even based on a movie, or is it just for fun? :confused:

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

It was a direct to DVD movie.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've said it before and I'll say it again, Pixar needs to join in on KH3. Toy Story, Monsters Inc., A Bug's Life, The Incredibles, Brave and maybe even Up would make decent worlds where combat makes sense. Also, I love that they included Julius from Runaway Brain, and I hope they continue to mine Mickey's history for good stuff such as that and Timeless River.

DapperDinosaur
May 27, 2012

This is what America's next drag super star does...

She works for a living.
I just want The World Ends With You gang to keep hanging around because I just really love them.

As far as Disney goes, I'd like a Great Mouse Detective world or a Phineas and Ferb mini-game world.

Shiran
Feb 20, 2003

Macaluso posted:

Well obviously we need some more Aladdin :v:

I really do want more Aladdin. I understand that a lot of people are tired of Agrabah but we haven't lived through King of Thieves yet. And Aladdin the series villains could show up like Mirage. Also I'm angry that I still haven't gotten a boss fight with Jafar in his giant cobra form, this really should of happened by now since we've fought him repeatedly throughout the series.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Wow, the person who did the english patch for KH2 FM could have seriously done with a proof reader or two. The new scenes' dialogue is understandable but there are some glaringly obvious typos every other line and the grammar is barely serviceable so it sometimes takes a fair bit off effort to work out roughly what is actually being said at times.

ActionZero fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Sep 2, 2012

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011

Dr Pepper posted:

Technically he doesn't cast Doom. Just that you die when the clock reaches midnight. It's called Doom because Kingdom Hearts fans tend to also be Final Fantasy fans.

Kingdom Hearts Re: Chain of Memories had a pretty awesome Doom spell that also used a countdown mechanic, so I get where they're coming from.

And yeah, KH1's Phantom is pretty damned easy once you get the rhythm. Hit him three times, he charges at you to melee you a bunch, hit him three times again, he retreats to the clock to launch homing bolts at you, they all miss if you hang out in front of a different clock face, pattern repeats indefinitely. Also, whenever he's doing his homing bolts attack, cast Stopra on the clock again to keep it from winding down. It helps to load up your allies with healing items since they're so eager to waste all their MP hitting Phantom with ineffective attacks, but beyond that, just be patient and Phantom will die easily, if slowly.

Pittsburgh Lambic fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Sep 2, 2012

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Hi. I haven't played any KH games. Draw me a roadmap?

My rough plan right now is KH1 to KH2 to BBS to 3D. I hear those are the best ones.

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
The OP has a pretty good writeup on each of the games, if you wanna check that out.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Sir John Feelgood posted:

My rough plan right now is KH1 to KH2 to BBS to 3D. I hear those are the best ones.

KH1 has aged pretty badly, KH2 is just aggressively mediocre in terms of gameplay.

BbS has fantastic gameplay, 3DS isn't quite as good but still up there.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Pureauthor posted:

KH1 has aged pretty badly,

Apart from the platforming, which was terrible even at the time, this isn't really true.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Apart from the platforming, which was terrible even at the time, this isn't really true.
I just beat it for the first time yesterday. Besides some confusion on where to go sometimes, it's still really good. And looks really fantastic for a ps2 game let alone one that is a decade old.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The methods for using Magic and special attacks were/are clunky and unintuitive. And also the bad platforming tends to be a pretty big deal in the game since they emphasized it so much.

It's still overall a good game, but... eh, wouldn't say great.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2

Liar Lyre posted:

I just beat it for the first time yesterday. Besides some confusion on where to go sometimes, it's still really good. And looks really fantastic for a ps2 game let alone one that is a decade old.

Yeah, I remember at the time thinking the graphics were bloody amazing, especially in cutscenes. KH rivals most current-gen games that utilise the cartoony style.

I will agree with the magic system being total BS though, I never used magic or items in KH1 apart from Cure which I think you could bind to R1 and Square or something.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I always used the right stick to navigate. It wasn't the best, but it worked pretty good.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Yeah, I remember at the time thinking the graphics were bloody amazing, especially in cutscenes. KH rivals most current-gen games that utilise the cartoony style.

I've said it before, but Kingdom Hearts has the same thing going for it that WoW has: It's a game that's several years old, but it still looks great because the art direction is so good. They really got the Disney look down really well, especially with the texture work on all the characters.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

That's exactly what I did. If you can, get the Final Mix versions of II and BBS (the first one doesn't add very much) with thier translation patches. The best thing about playing the games in order isn't that you will understand the plot (you won't), its that you get to see how much each one improves on the ones before.

For the portable spin-offs, just read the LPs in the archive. While Chain of Memories does introduce a lot of new plot threads and characters, it's mostly backloaded, with most of the game spent going through areas from the first game using a new card battle system.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Re:Chain is also good, I would recommend it. Don't let the card-based battle system turn you off, it has a lot of depth and deck building is fun.

I'd agree that you should watch my 358/2 Days lp instead of playing it. I suffered through that game so nobody has to ever again. I'm about to LP BBS Final Mix, and then I'm gonna do re:coded, although I would recommend playing that game since it's fun as hell.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

So I was just thinking about what new worlds I'd like to see in future KH games and I looked on Wikipedia to see a full list of Disney movies and I was floored by how much they have. It's already crazy with all the animated and well known live action stuff, but you also have everything owned by Touchstone, Marvel, and Hollywood Films. I mean we can have a Deuce Bigallow: Male Gigalo world.

Skylark
Apr 27, 2007

︵‿୨🤍୧‿︵
༶⋆˙⊹。⋆ʚ🦢ɞ ✩ ˛˚.

Liar Lyre posted:

I mean we can have a Deuce Bigallow: Male Gigalo world.

As ridiculous as that idea is, I would probably have a lot of fun in a DBMG world, as long as the sense of humor from the movie was translated well to the game. And if there's a huge heartless boss battle at the end that smashes Antoine's fish tank.

Despite not being familiar with the source material, I find myself loving the Musketeers world. So much whimsy! :mufasa: And great battles as well.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
That was a pretty amusing film. I remember when it came out and I showed it to some younger cousins. Nice humour, even had a pretty funny rendition "In the Hall of the Mountain King" at one point.

I hear Versus has been pushed back yet again, or at least, it's been pulled out from the most recent conventions. I guess this means we have more spinoffs coming our way, though I'm wondering if it'll only be one or two more.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Skylark posted:

Despite not being familiar with the source material, I find myself loving the Musketeers world. So much whimsy! :mufasa: And great battles as well.

Dat Musketeer music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVZ1wUAWhbU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ODAH1gBqyE

No, seriously. I think the World of Musketeers have some of the best field and battle music in a KH game! :colbert:

I loved how they adapted the "Three Musketeers" world as a whole though, and Sora's boss was really fun to fight!

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Hey Folt, what's it like to be completely wrong?

http://youtu.be/Vjb7SbeSKBc
http://youtu.be/Zq8zOghP2vg

Cavern of Remembrance all the way. :smugbert:

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
Note that I said "some of".

That said, I didn't find Cavern of Remembrance's music particularly noteworthy. The original Hollow Bastion music (both field and battle), and 3D's The World That Never Was music (also both field and battle) are among my favorites when it comes to field and battle music.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I always find the music to be top notch in these games. Shimomura is fantastic (even though it's really easy to recognise her music since a lot of it sounds the same).
I have to admit, one of the biggest reasons I'm looking forward to KH3 is the end boss rush, and the music playing being a Forze del Male/Darkness of the Unknown/Another Side/Dark Impetus/Black Powder/Enter the Darkness/Rage Awakened/Dismiss/L'Oscurita dell'Ignoto/L'Eminenza Oscura/L'Impeto Oscuro/The Eye of Darkness remix. :pcgaming:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Folt The Bolt posted:

Dat Musketeer music:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVZ1wUAWhbU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ODAH1gBqyE

No, seriously. I think the World of Musketeers have some of the best field and battle music in a KH game! :colbert:

I loved how they adapted the "Three Musketeers" world as a whole though, and Sora's boss was really fun to fight!

It's good that the music was good for the game, because the songs in the actual movie sucked. balls. I liked the movie otherwise but the songs were so bad it was almost embarrassing.

Also I'd like to see a Roger Rabbit and Enchanted world :shobon:

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Goddamn the areas are way too big in 3D. Never should have gone with they highest difficulty - having a real possibility of dying just isn't any fun when you get dumped back at the beginning of one of them with absolutely everything you accomplished undone.

Why is this series so schizophrenic with it's difficulty? Half the time picking the highest difficulty is the only way of squeezing a real fun challenge out of the game and half the time it turns it into an unbearable slog (namely 3D and Days).

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Proud isn't really that bad in Days though?

And the only reason 3D's difficulty is weird is because you don't get Once More until way late in the game. You get Leaf Bracer and Second Chance pretty early, though.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

It's rather the fact that both Days and 3D love enemies that cannot be stunlocked and doing any damage worth a drat with the keyblade relies on criticals - And in Days anything that's not trash mob just takes too long to kill considering how much of the game is just fighting Heartless over and over.

3D at least lets you cheese stuff with flowmotion and it has much more user-friendly magic system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

BioMe posted:

It's rather the fact that both Days and 3D love enemies that cannot be stunlocked and doing any damage worth a drat with the keyblade relies on criticals - And in Days anything that's not trash mob just takes too long to kill considering how much of the game is just fighting Heartless over and over.

3D at least lets you cheese stuff with flowmotion and it has much more user-friendly magic system.

You clearly weren't using enough magic in Days.