Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Why are you using a 24-port switch?

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV
I mean, why are you using a 24 48 port switch when you have like four things plugged into it. Surely there isn't all that much load balancing you need to be doing here.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Aug 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

Why are you using a 24-port switch?

48 Port. Management and load balancing. Also it was just available on hand.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Whats the olpc used for

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT posted:

Whats the olpc used for

Switch management and server console. I got it for free from a friend who had tried to roll Fedora on it and failed, I reloaded a lightened version of Fedora and away it went. Was annoying as hell getting the WPA2 support working but finally did.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Aug 19, 2012

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

CommieGIR posted:

And yes, every computer in this photo is on and in use right now.
That makes the assumption an OLPC is capable of being used for something.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Aug 19, 2012

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Zorilla posted:

That makes the assumption an OLPC is capable of being used for something.

Agreed. Its a terrible machine, but a good first attempt. Hence why its just for console related use.

ZombieIsland
Jan 21, 2011

The name is Sherlock Holmes and the address is 221B Baker Street

Seamonster posted:

More ikea desk action (with glass top)

What kind of headphones are those that are on your case?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Sony XB700

blaitarch
Nov 19, 2002
Work- and play- station

http://i.imgur.com/RLzu5.jpg

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

I mean, why are you using a 24 48 port switch when you have like four things plugged into it. Surely there isn't all that much load balancing you need to be doing here.

Sorry I didn't see you ad this:

I found the switch in the trash at a job site, it worked beautifully and I don't have anything smaller to replace it with at the moment.

Normally I just use it for LAN parties.

Barnsey
Apr 19, 2005
Does anyone remember a picture being posted here of someones really cool home office space? It was posted a while a go and from what I remember featured in a magazine / website. I think the owner was some kind of architect. The wall colour was possibly a purple/maroon colour?

Bit vague I know but I've looked through most of this thread and either I am blind or the image has possibly expired :(

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

Barnsey posted:

Does anyone remember a picture being posted here of someones really cool home office space? It was posted a while a go and from what I remember featured in a magazine / website. I think the owner was some kind of architect. The wall colour was possibly a purple/maroon colour?

Bit vague I know but I've looked through most of this thread and either I am blind or the image has possibly expired :(

I haven't seen it, but this is probably easier than looking through the entire thread

Triikan
Feb 23, 2007
Most Loved

The one he's almost definitely looking for isn't listed in those results.

I remember the one that was posted here, then on lifehacker. That's the one he's looking for.

EDIT: This one?
http://lifehacker.com/5839605/the-isolation-chamber-workspace

Triikan fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Aug 28, 2012

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

Triikan posted:

The one he's almost definitely looking for isn't listed in those results.

I remember the one that was posted here, then on lifehacker. That's the one he's looking for.

In that case, is it this?

http://lifehacker.com/5811922/a-workspace-worthy-of-the-name-mission-control

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

This is amazing, I had no idea you could do that with google.

Milo Pollywalter
Nov 25, 2006

there's a bear going round, taking names

Barnsey posted:

First thing that came to mind was this: http://lifehacker.com/5839605/the-isolation-chamber-workspace

Chopper
Feb 13, 2006

This has to be one of the nicest rooms ever created. I am fearful of how productive I would be in that room.

That said said, the cost of all the items there; the speakers, designer chairs, three lacie hard drives, Mac Pro, MacBook Pro, iMac, MacBook Air, iPad and 5 dollar lamp gives an indication of how much it cost.

ddiddles
Oct 21, 2008

Roses are red, violets are blue, I'm a schizophrenic and so am I
I believe that is the workspace of forum member woot fatigue

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer
My workspace (also part of living room).

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Someone topped that goon who had that big Apple light in his office:

http://davidwu.me/my-apple-store-home-office/

krooj
Dec 2, 2006
Wanna know if there is product in those boxes on the shelves.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.

AlwaysWetID34 fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 18, 2019

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
That's just disgusting.

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

ಠ_ಠ

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
That's the creepiest room I've ever seen.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

McFunkerson posted:

Wow, that's an insane amount work to go to to replicate the look of an Apple store. The guy's attention to detail is a bit impressive. I've definitely been outclassed in terms if insanity.

Time to remodel.

TX297
Nov 7, 2005

IM A HUGE FAGGOT WHO STEALS BYOB AVATARS.
I'm usually the biggest Apple fanboy I know.

And I still feel the urge to smash the crap out of that clock.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

TX297 posted:

I'm usually the biggest Apple fanboy I know.

And I still feel the urge to smash the crap out of that clock.

What bothers me is that the clock isn't even a thing Apple would design, theres no reason to get rid of the time notches especially if you're going to add a big gently caress off logo over it, basically a Braun clock would be the kind Apple would design.

Especially considering Jonathan Ives was influenced by Dieter Rams so he would just make a modern version of a Braun clock anyway.

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 2, 2012

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Hey guys, here's a pic of my latest project. I love my new home office!

I worked really hard to make it look like my favorite place in the whole world! I even hired a helper to keep things orderly and neat for me.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Sep 2, 2012

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!
What's the best I could do for computer speakers for ~$150? Would a 2.1 system be better, or monitors of some sort?

If I go with a 2.1 system, this is probably what I'll go with.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

twice burned ice posted:

What's the best I could do for computer speakers for ~$150? Would a 2.1 system be better, or monitors of some sort?

I have a pair of those and they sound really great. They're far and away the best "specifically made for PC" speakers I've ever heard. Very clear and smooth, with a lot of punch, and they get plenty loud for what they are.

The sub can be a tiny bit boomy if it gets too loud, but if you turn it down just a hair from the recommended setting it's very easily tamed and sounds great.

You're probably have to start looking at professional studio monitors if you wanted better sound quality in an even remotely similarly sized package.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Sep 2, 2012

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

GreatGreen posted:

I have a pair of those and they sound really great. They're far and away the best "specifically made for PC" speakers I've ever heard. Very clear and smooth, with a lot of punch, and they get plenty loud for what they are.

The sub can be a tiny bit boomy if it gets too loud, but if you turn it down just a hair from the recommended setting it's very easily tamed and sounds great.

You're probably have to start looking at professional studio monitors if you wanted better sound quality in an even remotely similarly sized package.
Just wait till the M-Audio and Swann fans come out of the woodwork.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Josh Lyman posted:

Just wait till the M-Audio and Swann fans come out of the woodwork.

Is that a negative thing? :v: I was going to make a suggestion like that or some self built Microbes.

Hob_Gadling
Jul 6, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Grimey Drawer

twice burned ice posted:

Pair of these and one of these would sound nice, but they go over the budget. Maybe you have a spare stereo amp lying around?

You could get a pair of monitors from JBL, M-Audio or maaaaybe Behringer. I would recommend listening to them before buying however (then again, I would recommend you listen to anything before you buy it).

$150 buys a neat pair of headphones also. Can't beat the price to quality ratio headphones offer.

Largely it's a question of what you personally like and listen to.

Modern Pragmatist
Aug 20, 2008

Bob Morales posted:

I'm disappointed by the lack of Steve Jobs TIME magazine covers.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

twice burned ice posted:

Inspect Your Gadgets > PC speakers - need a recommendation should help you :)

Chopper
Feb 13, 2006

twice burned ice posted:

Little bit over your budget, but I have these and they are amazing. The sound quality is far far better than any comparable 2.1 system and takes up no space at all.

You wouldn't believe how something so small can fill a room with big bassy sound.

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup :buddy:

Fish lamp?! Where do I get ahold of that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
It's a Nemo beanie