Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

Gestalt Intellect posted:

:pcgaming: N7 Demolisher :pcgaming:

I have appeased the RNG by staying through another whole game of London on gold.

I just unlocked the Demolisher today too. Great for FWB/G/G, but I'm not sure how well I'll do in real Gold games. Probably not very--whenever I have to take on even a centurion or Marauder one-on-one, I get shot to death, probably because I'm lovely at shooting.

What guns do people use with the Demolisher? I tried Typhoon I, but wasn't very impressed; I've been going Saber IV/Hurricane 1 or Piranha X and switching depending on the situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GulMadred
Oct 20, 2005

I don't understand how you can be so mistaken.

Jblade posted:

So, umm, is the N7 Slayer completely hosed in a bug way or am I just unlucky? The several times I've played him I've always glitched out. The first time I started to float around a little bit, the second time I ended up invisible except for my sword, and the 3rd time I actually ended up floating and falling through the level at rapid rates.
The first and third sound like normal Vanguard glitching. You can use a Slash-focused Slayer for Glacier farming in spite of heavy lag, but if you're specced for Charge > Disruptor > Melee then you should host your own matches.

The second glitch is caused by the interruption of a teleport-dodge (or teleport-punch) animation; your character's alpha value is temporarily set to zero during the move but if you get knocked out of it (e.g. by a Brute charge) then the game doesn't reach the "set alpha to 1" instruction. It's harmless, but if you find it annoying then you can fix it by performing a successful teleport dodge maneuver.

TacticalGranny
Feb 6, 2008

LogicNinja posted:

I just unlocked the Demolisher today too. Great for FWB/G/G, but I'm not sure how well I'll do in real Gold games. Probably not very--whenever I have to take on even a centurion or Marauder one-on-one, I get shot to death, probably because I'm lovely at shooting.

What guns do people use with the Demolisher? I tried Typhoon I, but wasn't very impressed; I've been going Saber IV/Hurricane 1 or Piranha X and switching depending on the situation.

I usually run Pirahna X and a fun gun that is flavor of the day. Pirahna is for bosses; fun gun for whatever situational purpose I have in mind. Lately, with the shield gate changes, it has been the Widow or Javelin. Sure, it's impractical, but I do it anyways. I mostly play the Demolisher on Gold or Platinum rounds where a bit of camping is in order.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

GulMadred posted:

The first and third sound like normal Vanguard glitching. You can use a Slash-focused Slayer for Glacier farming in spite of heavy lag, but if you're specced for Charge > Disruptor > Melee then you should host your own matches.

The second glitch is caused by the interruption of a teleport-dodge (or teleport-punch) animation; your character's alpha value is temporarily set to zero during the move but if you get knocked out of it (e.g. by a Brute charge) then the game doesn't reach the "set alpha to 1" instruction. It's harmless, but if you find it annoying then you can fix it by performing a successful teleport dodge maneuver.
Yeah I did get out of it when I dodged again; I was more worried that other players would assume I was a cheater and report me or something like that.

On another note, I just got the Harrier which is N7 rare for some reason even though it didn't seem that great (although I was playing on Gold) I also got the Striker which felt amazing to use but didn't really seem to do that much damage.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Equip the Harrier to a Destroyer or a Marksman Turian. It burns through ammo like nothing else, but it does some pretty insane damage pretty quickly.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

VJeff posted:

Equip the Harrier to a Destroyer or a Marksman Turian. It burns through ammo like nothing else, but it does some pretty insane damage pretty quickly.
Still haven't got the Destroyer yet :cry: I'll give the Turian a try though, thanks.

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?
Am I going mad or does the harrier have MORE recoil when you stand in cover? Been noticing that for a while and it certainly seems like it.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

LogicNinja posted:

I always use the Harrier and cycle the other, Crusader is ok, Claymore is ok, Reegar is ok. Just mix and match it with whatever, really.

SirViver
Oct 22, 2008

Pumpking posted:

Am I going mad or does the harrier have MORE recoil when you stand in cover? Been noticing that for a while and it certainly seems like it.
Yes, it does. No, it makes no sense. Bioware Quality Engineering™

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Jblade posted:

So, umm, is the N7 Slayer completely hosed in a bug way or am I just unlucky? The several times I've played him I've always glitched out. The first time I started to float around a little bit, the second time I ended up invisible except for my sword, and the 3rd time I actually ended up floating and falling through the level at rapid rates.
Yup, he seems to get raptured far more often than any other vanguard. I never play Slayer off-host and he's one of my favourite classes.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I haven't played in months, did they ever make the difficulty sane again?

Elman fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 3, 2012

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Elman posted:

I haven't played in months, did they ever make the difficulty sane again or is it still unplayable?

Yeah. Gold isn't bad at all, unless you fight Geth without a stagger-resistant class. Platinum took a lot of the bullshit off.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Elman posted:

I haven't played in months, did they ever make the difficulty sane again?

Nope! Instead they introduced Platinum. :pseudo:

EDIT: Well yeah, Gold isn't ridiculous anymore. Bronze is still a joke though, and Silver is basically Gold-Lite. Sane is the farthest thing from the difficulty curve.

Felinoid fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Sep 3, 2012

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Been abroad for 2 months, just got back and played my first round of platinum which ended in a full extraction but wow it's fun as hell and also much much harder. What's changed since I've been gone? Is there an idiots guide to what's good and what isn't out of the new gear/levels/classes/weapons? Unlocked the N7 Slayer and the particle rifle with the first premium spectre pack I bought. Also what's been nerfed? I hear the Krysae is poo poo now.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

LogicNinja posted:

Pirhana and Harrier is a good combo. You're effective at any range with two powerful guns plus your grenades.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

LogicNinja posted:

Throw more Arc Grenades. If you are not throwing Arc Grenades, you should be bouncing between ammo crates and the supply pylon you set up in an area you expect to be moving through a lot that is also near at least one ammo crate. Know where enemies can spawn (and where the current distribution of your team suggest they will spawn) so you can hit 3-5 of them with each grenade. Don't be ashamed of using one to shield-strip and stun an individual enemy you got the jump on you, though.

quote:

I use a Phaeston VII and Piranha VI, as I don't have a Harrier. The Pirahna really does most of the work, the Phaeston is there for much longer ranges and to take advantage of the Warfighter V I have. I'd gladly swap the Warfighter for more levels of Shock Trooper, though.

I did manage to outscore a guy who was also using a Demolisher on Jade with a Harrier V, Pirahna X, a full set of level 3 consumables (I wasn't using any), and an NV score over 15x mine. And by outscore, I mean by half again as much. Throwing multiple Arc Grenades at fresh spawn points is just that ridiculous.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

heh, I did manage to outscore the rest of my team as a level 1 soldier on London Silver...but I was using the Saber and Black Widow so that's hardly fair on them (and it was Cerberus which is still the easiest enemy to fight) :v:

pacman
May 7, 2003

PARADOL EX FAN CLUB
I am still pretty noob at multiplayer, but I find that Bronze is a cake walk I could probably do solo or with 1 other team mate. On Silver I do ok and sometimes even lead the scoreboard. I haven't tried Gold or Platinum yet, but I would love to. My main character is a Human Female Engineer. I maxed out Combat Drone, Overload, Fitness, Aliance Training and didn't put any points into Incinerate. I am using a chain overload with neural shock, and a chain lightning drone that blows up. All Nemesis, Maurauders and any enemy with shileds becomes my bitch and I have no problems taking down hordes of husks or other easy monsters by spamming my drone and overloads.

My problem is, I don't know what gun to use. I usually take an M-8 Avenger X because I like assault rifles and this one is light enough for me to spam overload without a long cooldown. I also had good luck with a Pirahna and a submachine gun, but I didn't like the longer cooldowns. The Avenger doesn't do a lot of damage, though so I am not sure if there would be a more effective gun that other players would recommend.

LogicNinja
Jan 21, 2011

...the blur blurs blurringly across the blurred blur in a blur of blurring blurriness that blurred...

Psion posted:

Pirhana and Harrier is a good combo. You're effective at any range with two powerful guns plus your grenades.

I have no harrier. :(

What is the poor man's harrier? Revenant? Saber?

e: God, fighting Cerberus as a melee-specced Shadow makes me feel like such an enormous badass. Teleporting around, murdering the gently caress out of every Nemesis and Centurion and a lot of phantoms. Shadow Strike->Heavy Melee, dead Phantom... unless they dodge. I wish the melee tracked better.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Krogan Soldier is hilarious on Reapers - Glacier. Mass inferno grenades while standing on the stairs to avoid execution. Nothing like seeing a Banshee, Ravager, and Brute all keel over dead from inferno grenades while futilely trying to claw past each other to attack you

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

pacman posted:

My problem is, I don't know what gun to use. I usually take an M-8 Avenger X because I like assault rifles and this one is light enough for me to spam overload without a long cooldown. I also had good luck with a Pirahna and a submachine gun, but I didn't like the longer cooldowns. The Avenger doesn't do a lot of damage, though so I am not sure if there would be a more effective gun that other players would recommend.
The Avenger is a perfectly fine gun when you're starting out, just make sure you have a stability mod on it.

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

LogicNinja posted:

I have no harrier. :(

What is the poor man's harrier? Revenant? Saber?

A Mattock and mad click skills

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

pacman posted:

I am still pretty noob at multiplayer, but I find that Bronze is a cake walk I could probably do solo or with 1 other team mate. On Silver I do ok and sometimes even lead the scoreboard. I haven't tried Gold or Platinum yet, but I would love to. My main character is a Human Female Engineer. I maxed out Combat Drone, Overload, Fitness, Aliance Training and didn't put any points into Incinerate. I am using a chain overload with neural shock, and a chain lightning drone that blows up. All Nemesis, Maurauders and any enemy with shileds becomes my bitch and I have no problems taking down hordes of husks or other easy monsters by spamming my drone and overloads.

I would be more worried about your class setup than your guns. Neural shock is not very good at all and you should have incinerate maxed so you can set off tech bursts. As a human engineer that's where a huge chunk of your damage will be coming from. As for guns I run the phaeston on my human engis, good cooldown and decent firepower.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat

Magmarashi posted:

A Mattock and mad click skills

Is it possible to bind your mousewheel to fire? I might actually give that a shot later.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Neural shock does extra damage to organics and their defenses.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat

UnknownMercenary posted:

Neural shock does extra damage to organics and their defenses.

Didn't know that, honestly I never noticed. To me it just seems to make them harder to hit when they fall down not to mention overload already paralyzes the basic poo poo. I have a feeling that recharge speed will lead to better dps overall but maybe not. My point about tech bursts still stands though

pacman
May 7, 2003

PARADOL EX FAN CLUB
Ok, I'll respec and max out Drone, Overload and Incinerate. Should I sacrifice Alliance Training or Fitness? I'm thinking probably fitness since I'm not a very melee-driven character. As for the gun, I'll stick with the Avenger for now until I can find something stronger.

Synonamess Botch
Jun 5, 2006

dicks are for my cat
I would go 66653 as overload's raw dps is still valuable against shields. If you find yourself too squishy take shield gear.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
I usually just go 4/4; I never find myself in a situation where I would rather melee than cast a power or shoot so I just take all the health/shield fitness bonuses and whichever caster-style bonuses I can get out of alliance training. For weapons, I recommend anything you can stick a piercing mod on, just because it gives you a method to quickly take care of guardians instead of trying to bank incinerates over their shields or hope there is someone behind them you can hit instead.

pacman
May 7, 2003

PARADOL EX FAN CLUB

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I usually just go 4/4; I never find myself in a situation where I would rather melee than cast a power or shoot so I just take all the health/shield fitness bonuses and whichever caster-style bonuses I can get out of alliance training. For weapons, I recommend anything you can stick a piercing mod on, just because it gives you a method to quickly take care of guardians instead of trying to bank incinerates over their shields or hope there is someone behind them you can hit instead.

For Guardians I just spawn a combat drone behind them and they turn around to see what's shocking them in the butt. I don't know if they do this on any difficulty higher than silver, though. Once they turn around, I just neural shock them and they drop to the ground/drop their shield and I shoot them/spawn another combat drone behind the next Guardian. One time I was able to take out 4 Guardians coming at me from a distance this way very quickly. But yeah, I'll definitely put a piercing mod and a stabilization mod on my gun. And when I respec, I'll go 6/6/6 and try out 5/3 and 4/4 to see which I like better.

pacman fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Sep 3, 2012

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.
I haven't used my Geth Engi in a long time but I love Neural Shock, it was always the perfect set up to force enemies to move in a predictable pattern (that stunned pose before falling over) so that I can get a pistol head shot in and kill them quickly. You can't really underestimate having permanent disruptor ammo stun effects.

Felinoid
Mar 8, 2009

Marginally better than Shepard's dancing. 2/10

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

5/3 versus 4/4 is 15% power damage against 15% shields & health, so that's definitely a judgment call. Piercing is also not strictly necessary, as he'll have a Combat Drone to turn them around or he could just mailslot them if he's got good aim (and the host isn't completely horrid), but it can be nice against bosses too.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
So uh, did they reduce the delay for guys stomping you in Gold to 0 or what?

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Felinoid posted:

5/3 versus 4/4 is 15% power damage against 15% shields & health, so that's definitely a judgment call. Piercing is also not strictly necessary, as he'll have a Combat Drone to turn them around or he could just mailslot them if he's got good aim (and the host isn't completely horrid), but it can be nice against bosses too.

The drone tactic certainly works too, I just prefer the expediency of continuing to fire between casts, especially if my drone is off distracting something. I use a phalanx so mailslotting without a scope can be problematic at range. With the damage and piercing mods it acts like a simple, universally applicable dps source between casts. Super easy and effective up until platinum.

Pumpking
Oct 27, 2007

Who is number 1?

VJeff posted:

So uh, did they reduce the delay for guys stomping you in Gold to 0 or what?

It used to be instant to the point you couldn't even medigel sometimes but they patched it recently to take half a second or so.

pacman posted:

For Guardians I just spawn a combat drone behind them and they turn around to see what's shocking them in the butt. I don't know if they do this on any difficulty higher than silver, though. Once they turn around, I just neural shock them and they drop to the ground/drop their shield and I shoot them/spawn another combat drone behind the next Guardian. One time I was able to take out 4 Guardians coming at me from a distance this way very quickly. But yeah, I'll definitely put a piercing mod and a stabilization mod on my gun. And when I respec, I'll go 6/6/6 and try out 5/3 and 4/4 to see which I like better.

Neural shock is great. Also if you want to play gold you're going to need a stronger gun than the avenger. If you post your manifest people will be able to give you suggestions.

E:

Butterfly Valley posted:

Been abroad for 2 months, just got back and played my first round of platinum which ended in a full extraction but wow it's fun as hell and also much much harder. What's changed since I've been gone? Is there an idiots guide to what's good and what isn't out of the new gear/levels/classes/weapons? Unlocked the N7 Slayer and the particle rifle with the first premium spectre pack I bought. Also what's been nerfed? I hear the Krysae is poo poo now.

I forget exactly what was and wasn't present in the game 2 months ago but theres a new DLC which added a bunch of N7 characters which are all good. A few new guns were also added the best one being the piranha, a rapid fire shotgun which tears through everything and is pretty light to boot, meaning its a bit overpowered despite being nerfed once already. If you want info on a specific gun or character just post in the thread. Of course you can proabably work a lot of stuff out through playing.

Also a repost but if anyone wants to play sometime I'm Landofever on origin. I rarely check my friends list but if you want a game and I'm online just send me an invite. Always up for playing with goons.

Pumpking fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 3, 2012

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
From mid-August:

quote:

Enemy Stomping Behavior
- (Silver) Delay before enemies will move to your body to stomp you increased from 1.5 to 2 seconds
- (Silver) Delay before enemies stomp you once they reach your body increased from 0.75 to 1 second
- (Gold) Delay before enemies will move to your body to stomp you increased from 0.75 to 1 second
- (Gold) Delay before enemies stomp you once they reach your body increased from 0.25 to 1 second
- (Platinum) Delay before enemies will move to your body to stomp you remains at 0
- (Platinum) Delay before enemies stomp you once they reach your body increased from 0 to 1 second
...but they also patched it in July because Gold/Plat enemies weren't stomping at all.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Destroyer + Harrier = Ammo Box Chain Chomp

That thing is a death laser :stare:

can't believe I never tried that before, I usually went Piranha/Typhoon instead.

So like, can I have an Indra now? I literally have every single other gun (except the Collector Rifle but that doesn't count)

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I have both and I actually prefer the Harrier to the Indra (both at I) for my destroyer, but I have no idea if that's the pro DPS optimal strategy.

MrDude
Jun 23, 2011

pacman posted:

For Guardians I just spawn a combat drone behind them and they turn around to see what's shocking them in the butt. I don't know if they do this on any difficulty higher than silver, though.

It works on Atlases on Gold. Better stunlocking potential than a Female Quarian Infiltrator. The real secret to Combat Drone is to always be tossing it at distant powerful enemies (before they start attacking an ally) to effectively lock them down for a bit. Brutes will literally just stare at them until they get shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Psion posted:

I have both and I actually prefer the Harrier to the Indra (both at I) for my destroyer, but I have no idea if that's the pro DPS optimal strategy.

I think the nice thing about the Indra is its weight and the fact that it's basically a scoped assault rifle that benefits from sniper rifle passive buffs -- so, in other words, a lot of utterly useless stuff for the Destroyer, but something incredibly useful for a bunch of other classes.

I also want one :(

• Locked thread