Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Ivar Bjørnson is one of the nicest musicians I have ever met. He looks mean, but he isn't.

One of the guitar players in Ghost and Matt loving Pike were also really cool and awesome to talk to. I love it when guys in bands I like aren't total dicks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

MrBling posted:

It's almost as if Iced Earth really isn't that good.

Maybe, but goddamn do I need a new Demons & Wizards album.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Weaponized Cum posted:

Murder Construct has a new album and it rules well cya

Ahh thanks for this. Very nice.

Here's a fun track about trendy-core music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=la-H6BVZhSU

Turk February posted:

I forgot how awesome Karl Sanders is. This interview done at Bloodstock just showed how laid back he was and it makes me like him and Nile even more.

Karl is rad. I got to see Nile during Amongst the Catacombs of Nephren-Ka in a small bar in Raleigh NC. There were 30 people there tops. Nile was lugging around a PC with a CRT monitor for their samples. The stage was about 6 inches to a foot tall. I stood right in front of Karl because I wanted to see this poo poo up close and he basically watched me watch him shred guitar that night. The dude just stared me down the whole time. In spite of that, he's very chill and approachable.

Edit: his forearms are like legs.

UFOTacoMan fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 2, 2012

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Does he still work at Pizza Hut?

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

BGrifter posted:

Maybe, but goddamn do I need a new Demons & Wizards album.
Apparently this is going to happen at some point.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Ivar Bjørnson is one of the nicest musicians I have ever met. He looks mean, but he isn't.

One of the guitar players in Ghost and Matt loving Pike were also really cool and awesome to talk to. I love it when guys in bands I like aren't total dicks.

I had the exact opposite experience with Ghost. In their get up, they were nice. After the show though, they were total dicks. There are a handful of really unpleasant metal people I've met, but most are really loving cool, even to sweaty dudes who mob them after they just walked off stage.

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

The new The Faceless album just keeps getting better. I just learned that the guy who did the Sexy Sax Man thing played the guest saxophone solo in Deconsecrate. Old news but holy poo poo that's amazing

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I was so sad when I couldn't get the new Murder Construct and Krallice on Spotify, but then yesterday I found them. Makes no sense, but hooray!

Then my list collaboration buddy noticed that I didn't add the latest Locust album. September is shaping up well already.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

ChickenArise posted:

the latest Locust album

The what now?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

I think he might mean the compilation that just came out--"Molecular Genetics from the Gold Standard Labs"

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
The new Dyrsrhythmia album is so good. In heavy rotation for me, specially love the production.

Now, The Locust? gently caress The Locust.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Weaponized Cum posted:

Insect Warfare

Murder Construct has had me revisiting some of my old grindcore flings today and this is the perfect end to it. I had no idea.

Kjorteo
Jun 25, 2012

by angerbot
Can anyone point me toward some clean, melodic stuff? I realize I'm pretty much living up to the Flower Metal stereotype here, but man, screw it, I just like my metal to be pretty, is that really so wrong.

Current top albums for me would be Avantasia's Angel of Babylon (all Avantasia is good, but anything from the Wicked Trilogy is especially good,) Symphony X's The Divine Wings of Tragedy and/or V: The New Mythology Suite, Masterplan's Aeronautics, Angra's Holy Land and/or Temple of Shadows, Symfonia's In Paradisum, and absolutely anything by Allen/Lande. Conversely, I get turned off by bands I like for their prettier stuff going too harsh (Helloween's 7 Sinners, most newer Symphony X) though admittedly I do love Blind Guardian. Those guys can be hard and still retain the melodic aspect, as just about anything on At the Edge of Time will attest.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Kjorteo posted:

Can anyone point me toward some clean, melodic stuff? I realize I'm pretty much living up to the Flower Metal stereotype here, but man, screw it, I just like my metal to be pretty, is that really so wrong.

Current top albums for me would be Avantasia's Angel of Babylon (all Avantasia is good, but anything from the Wicked Trilogy is especially good,) Symphony X's The Divine Wings of Tragedy and/or V: The New Mythology Suite, Masterplan's Aeronautics, Angra's Holy Land and/or Temple of Shadows, Symfonia's In Paradisum, and absolutely anything by Allen/Lande. Conversely, I get turned off by bands I like for their prettier stuff going too harsh (Helloween's 7 Sinners, most newer Symphony X) though admittedly I do love Blind Guardian. Those guys can be hard and still retain the melodic aspect, as just about anything on At the Edge of Time will attest.

The first most obvious recommendation is Hangar. Their drummer is Aquiles Priester who was in Angra for a bit and is phenomenal.

This is about as heavy as they get:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYrCf7L67gM

and here's their normal stuff:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nL4GJckDYGg

Other than that here's some other stuff you didn't list that you may already know, may not like, whatever: Iced Earth (read the last page or 2 to get the feel for them), Demons and Wizards (Iced Earth / Blind Guardian collaboration), Kamelot, Rhapsody (of Fire!), Ancient Bards, Shaman, Edguy is always fun, Falconer, Stratovarius, Epica, Pagan's Mind, Seventh Wonder...

Katatonia is really good too but a lot more on the more dark / depressing sort of stuff. I really like their new album (this is also probably their "heaviest" track off their new album):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u79MohYXcl4

Also if you like good melodic music, basically listen to anything by Steven Wilson.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Kjorteo posted:

If you like Avantasia, check out Tobias Sammet's "actual" band, Edguy. They've gotten a bit more rocky nowadays, but their earlier albums are pretty pure and undiluted euro power metal. Specifically, you'll want the albums Vain Glory Opera, Theater of Salvation and Mandrake.

Kamelot are pretty much as sleek and smooth as metal can get. One of the best power metal bands around, or at least used to be. A good album to start with is Karma. If you want bigger stuff with more orchestra and choirs and stuff, try The Black Halo. If you want more regular power metal, The Fourth Legacy.

Twilightning did a couple grade A melodic power metal albums before going a bit weird and then disbanding. Namely, Delirium Veil and Plague-House Puppet Show.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

Murder Construct has had me revisiting some of my old grindcore flings today and this is the perfect end to it. I had no idea.

If you like them listen to Maruta and Wormrot!

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...

Kjorteo posted:

Have you heard Fates Warning's "The Spectre Within" and "Awaken the Guardian"? They're quite a different from their later stuff that seems to get more attention. Lethal's "Programmed" is hard to not fall in love with. Razorwyre have rough guitars and a pretty vocalist. Not to name too many obvious ones, but make sure you've heard Helstar's first four, Crimson Glory's first two or three, and Malice's "In The Beginning".

If you want it to be straight up cheesy 80s power metal, listen to Rage of Angels.

If you want something that's more flowery than Avantasia and cheesier than Dragonforce, listen to Pathfinder. I think they're even flowerier than Fairyland.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Also try dragonland, Neal Morse, Judas Priest,Andromeda, Arwen, Hammerfall, At Vance(though you can find better stuff on youtube but I'm lazy), Ayreon, Dezperadoz (hehe), Freedom Call.

Some of these might bit a bit on the heavy side, can't really remember.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
Got my copy of Agalloch's new EP Faustian Echoes in the mail today and it's pretty rad

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

Kjorteo posted:

To add to everyone else's suggestions, you might give the following a try:
Pain of Salvation - Entropia, One Hour by the Concrete Lake, The Perfect Element Part I, and Remedy Lane. 12:5 is a live acoustic album with completely rearranged songs that is sonically just plain perfect, and then they put out sort of a pretentious (but good) metal opera album after that called Be. Everything else since then (2004-present) has been tremendously disappointing. Pain of Salvation is more straight-up prog, rather than "powerprog" (the mixture of power metal and progressive metal that you obviously prefer), but they're so drat excellent there's no reason to not at least give them a chance.
Redemption - This Mortal Coil (Ray Alder of Fates Warning's other band, might be a little on the dark end of what you'd like)
Anything Arjen Lucassen has collaborated with other artists on, specifically Ayreon and Star One
Ark - Burn the Sun (I assume you've heard this already since it's Jorn Lande)
Sieges Even - The Art of Navigating By the Stars
both Myrath albums (the first ever metal band from Tunisia signed to a label, lyrics in English and Arabic)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9V-AxS2kao

And by the way, I totally agree with you. Those are the two best Symphony X albums by a mile.

edit: poo poo, forgot Lost Horizon. Cheesy as hell, but I'll be damned if the Highlander song isn't unbelievable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OffF0e2h4TU

Optimum Gulps fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Sep 6, 2012

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Apparently, Wintersun is now on tour. In the US. I want to go just for curiosity's sake.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Optimum Gulps posted:

Sieges Even - The Art of Navigating By the Stars

In this vein may I also suggest Subsignal's second album Touchstones, also no one has suggested Dream Theater's Images and Words which is a god damned amazing album.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

Power Metal Guy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EbseMiDe00

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

My favorite Heavenly song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ymfrq4RrFtU

THAT INTRO

edit-- and now if we're talking about power metal intros:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOHUVC9aTIg

wheeeeeere doooo iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii
GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Sep 6, 2012

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Optimum Gulps posted:

edit: poo poo, forgot Lost Horizon. Cheesy as hell, but I'll be damned if the Highlander song isn't unbelievable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OffF0e2h4TU
gently caress yes. No idea why I didn't recommend them (again). Daniel Heiman has some incredible loving pipes. (I have the WOOAAAOOOAAAAOOHHH part from Highlander as my phone's ringtone, btw.)

I also have this annoying nagging feeling that I'm forgetting some painfully obvious recommendation, but it's eluding me.

Wattsamatta
Feb 24, 2008

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

The first most obvious recommendation is Hangar. Their drummer is Aquiles Priester who was in Angra for a bit and is phenomenal.

Katatonia is really good too but a lot more on the more dark / depressing sort of stuff. I really like their new album (this is also probably their "heaviest" track off their new album):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u79MohYXcl4

Also if you like good melodic music, basically listen to anything by Steven Wilson.

Just chiming in to agree whole-heartedly with this. Katatonia is amazing. And even more amazing live. Get all their albums. All of them. And see them live. Lots of times see them live.

deliciousbeth
Aug 6, 2006
Anyone going on the Sweden Rock double cruise in October? I'm only going on the 2nd half, but it looks like the better half with Satyricon, Amorphis and Finntroll!
(http://www.swedenrockcruise.com/index.cfm?lg=2)

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I know there are some people in here from Chicago. I stopped by Reckless Records today and even they didn't have what I was looking for. What are the good metal record stores in this city?

e: phone posting sucks

Full Collapse fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Sep 7, 2012

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Qu Appelle posted:

Apparently, Wintersun is now on tour. In the US. I want to go just for curiosity's sake.

A Pittsburgh date? Sick. Going to have to try and get to this

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
Also here's a cool new sports center commercial that is relevant here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USHZZ5bwASU

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm

Minto Took posted:

I know there are some people in here from Chicago. I stopped Reckless Records today and even they didn't have what I was looking for. What are the good metal record stores in this city?

Not much since Metal Haven closed I'd say your best bet will be the record store at Reggies Rock Club...Logan Hardware also has a small metal collection, but its not much and pretty expensive. Really without metal haven there isnt much else.

Feast of Burden
Oct 9, 2008

WARNING: may cause indigestion and severe heartburn
New Nekrogoblikon video owns bones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsMKOx6fumc

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

First the Fertile Green video and now this. I thought metal videos were supposed to suck.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
e: wow I should have read two posts above me

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Minto Took posted:

I know there are some people in here from Chicago. I stopped by Reckless Records today and even they didn't have what I was looking for. What are the good metal record stores in this city?

e: phone posting sucks

Honestly there isn't much. The aforementioned smallish store at Reggie's is OK, but there is no other reason to go to that area of town, at least for me (I don't really need to buy heroin or anything), so I only am able to browse when I go to a show. I typically just end up buying my music online, unfortunately. Usually directly from the band if possible.

Wattsamatta
Feb 24, 2008

This is amazing. Hahaha.

Also that ESPN commercial is probably the best commercial ever made.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Roasted Donut posted:

Also here's a cool new sports center commercial that is relevant here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USHZZ5bwASU

:lol: ESPN makes the best commercials.

This also owns.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Now that's doing metal right.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

I came on here earlier to post this. Their guitarist was my best friend in high school. They've really come a long way since back when I used to invite myself on stage:

72_525586163987_5581_n by LargeHadron, on Flickr

To be honest though, I love the song but the video itself just doesn't do it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

That's awesome.