Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Exploder
Nov 15, 2005

Just a humble motherfucker with a big ass dick

pahuyuth posted:

Prison Break is one of my favorite shows behind The X-Files, The Wire, and Lost. The first season is one of the best seasons of TV ever.

T-Bag is so creepily cool and awesome.

Those three are definitely in my top 10, so I would say that you have good taste sir. I just finished season 1 and have started season 2. It isn't the greatest show ever, but it is entertaining as hell. A lot of people said there is a dropoff in quality, but judging from the first three eps of season 2, I would say that it hasn't skipped a beat. T-Bag is one of my favorites so far, even if he is an irredeemable rear end in a top hat killer. The way he delivers the line to the veterinarian "my hand has been in this cooler for hours, it is dying" after he got his hand chopped off by Abruzzi was perfect, and had me busting up laughing. I will have to check out that episode of Breakout Kings, even though I watched a couple episodes of it and got bored.

richardfun posted:

Nikita (everybody should watch this loving show. It has no business being as good as it is, but it just is)

I've seen Nikita get a lot of love, and it has Xander Berkeley in it, so I will have to check this out too. I would have never thought about watching shows like Nikita and Vampire Diaries without this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DAAS Kapitalist
Nov 9, 2005

Jackass: The Mad Monk

Don't try this at home.

richardfun posted:

I want an action/thriller/drama series, or even scifi. But I need something that's got longer running arcs. Also, I love reading people here raving about discovering Supernatural. It's awesome. Edit: Also, I'm a sucker for any kind of conspiracy stuff at the highest levels of government, or shady government operations/organizations in general.

Only six episodes, but Ultraviolet has as solid a six episode arc as you'll ever see, a supernatural conspiracy, and a shady paramilitary/police organisation.

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop
My most recent binge would have to be Game Of Thrones S1 and 2, followed by Game Of Thrones S1 and 2 viewed with every family member I could get into it. That show is rough to binge, because "just one more episode" pushes bedtime back at least another hour :(. I've been meaning to check out Burn Notice also, watched a couple of episodes a few years ago and really liked it. The only question is, is it as good as I remember it to be?

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

I finished watching Moral Orel last night and I don't know how I fell. I mean, I liked the show, I really did, but the last half of the second and all of the third season hosed me up emotionally. Bluberta and Clay's relationship is the stuff of nightmares.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

empty sea posted:

After finishing Life on Mars, this is the most hilarious comment.

God, that show was good. It wasn't just good because of the sci-fi aspect, but also the crime show aspect. I don't even enjoy crime shows but this one was great. Just enough twists so that you didn't guess the murderer ten minutes in. And the time travel/wtf is happening parts were amazing.

My only complaint is that the finale should've been 2 episodes to deal with all the twists. And that more people noticed that Sam was insane.

Well you might want to now watch Ashes to Ashes. The first season is not that great but once it gets its footing its pretty awesome.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

richardfun posted:

Edit: Also, I'm a sucker for any kind of conspiracy stuff at the highest levels of government, or shady government operations/organizations in general.

RUBICON RUBICON RUBICON

It starts out kind of weird (it had a different showrunner for the first couple eps I think), but man does it get good. The last 3 eps are some drat good tv.

But then it got canceled so that AMC could make ~*~The Killing~*~. Correlation = causation imo.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Conduit for Sale! posted:

RUBICON RUBICON RUBICON

It starts out kind of weird (it had a different showrunner for the first couple eps I think), but man does it get good. The last 3 eps are some drat good tv.

But then it got canceled so that AMC could make ~*~The Killing~*~. Correlation = causation imo.

I've seen Rubicon recommended in a number of places, and I've seen it compared to Homeland. I loved Homeland because of a number of reasons, one being the flawed strength and charisma of the main character which Clare Danes should be given a lifetime achievement award for portraying, others being the tight plotting, progressive depiction of religion and a willingness to have events take place during an episode (The Weekend) that completely change the gameplan of the entire series.

Is Rubicon like that at all?

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Rubicon and Homeland aren't really all that alike, other than they center around a conspiracy. Rubicon's focus is really on the main character's efforts to unravel the conspiracy. The actors' performances aren't anywhere near the level of Homeland, but that's true of every other show on tv that isn't Breaking Bad or Mad Men. I think the story is much better though - I thought Homeland's plot was kind of dull actually, partially because I was comparing it to Rubicon.

As for series-changing events, uh... Rubicon kind of blows Homeland out of the water in that department. :v:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

A really short one, but: Mr. Bean.

only a handful of episodes. Generally holds up well. Pretty timeless, really. Only downside is they there's not enough of it.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

RUBICON RUBICON RUBICON

The annoying part is that at some point, AMC executives looked at the first three episodes of Rubicon, liked the general idea, but realized it wasn't quite working, and brought in a new showrunner that actually managed to make what started off horribly mediocre, and created a great slow burn spy drama show. Then they cancelled it.

If only they had done the same with The Killing.

I have to assume at some point AMC fired the guy who retooled Rubicon because it wasn't a success, then they replaced him with the guy who thought that what people want to watch after Breaking Bad is a reality TV series about a small town transvestite security guard.

thrakkorzog fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Sep 2, 2012

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Martytoof posted:

only a handful of episodes. Generally holds up well. Pretty timeless, really. Only downside is they there's not enough of it.

Blackadder>Mr. Bean :colbert:

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

Well you might want to now watch Ashes to Ashes. The first season is not that great but once it gets its footing its pretty awesome.

Seconded. I think Season 3 of Ashes to Ashes (including the buildup to it at the end of season 2) is better than Life on Mars.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

RUBICON RUBICON RUBICON

Yes, Rubicon was fantastic, if tough to follow. You literally can't take your eye off your screen for a few minutes, or you will be lost forever.

Martytoof posted:

If you're going to watch Atkinson comedy, go with Blackadder.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah, I went through Blackadder a few months ago but forgot to post about it. I liked it all, except for the first series, honestly. I just don't think it found its footing until the second series.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, I went through Blackadder a few months ago but forgot to post about it. I liked it all, except for the first series, honestly. I just don't think it found its footing until the second series.

That is when they stopped filming on location and got Ben Elton on the writting staff.

afgrunden
Jul 21, 2011

I've been watching a ton of Supernatural. Supernatural, at least in the early seasons, is kind of like a nice show to watch when you want to turn your brain off. I love Sliders (a terrible show) for the same reason. But the rate at which I'm binging through it is kind of impressive - last week I watched like, three seasons, and there's 20+ episodes in each season. The show is pretty bad so I don't know why I find it so compelling. I guess I just like monsters.

Also, I've been watching a lot of Six Feet Under (I don't have internet at my house so in my free time I just watch stuff I have saved on the computer - I watch a lot of television) and that show is seriously great. I've been taking it slow, like an episode or two a day, because I don't know what I'll do when I get through all of it.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I'm a huge Joss Whedon fan, and I've loved all of his projects except for Dollhouse. I saw the first episode some time back and it didn't make much of an impression, and the main concept (people who are programmed to be assassins/sex slaves/etc. and then mindwiped) does nothing for me. Does it get better and build to some level of serialized awesomeness? If so, is there a good point where I can jump in later? Because if it remains just the job-and-mindwipe of the week, I won't even bother.

Same question goes for Fringe. I don't have a lot of patience for monster/mystery-of-the-week episodes, but I'm intrigued by what I've heard about the parallel/alternate universes (dimensions?) that become important later.

Hayden
Jan 17, 2006

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I'm a huge Joss Whedon fan, and I've loved all of his projects except for Dollhouse. I saw the first episode some time back and it didn't make much of an impression, and the main concept (people who are programmed to be assassins/sex slaves/etc. and then mindwiped) does nothing for me. Does it get better and build to some level of serialized awesomeness? If so, is there a good point where I can jump in later? Because if it remains just the job-and-mindwipe of the week, I won't even bother.

Same question goes for Fringe. I don't have a lot of patience for monster/mystery-of-the-week episodes, but I'm intrigued by what I've heard about the parallel/alternate universes (dimensions?) that become important later.

I'm burning through Fringe at the moment. I'm about 16 episodes in since Wednesday. While the second and third episodes do have a bit of a monster of the week feel, they get into the mythology of the series fairly quickly. I'm really enjoying this series so far, but it is bad when "one more episode" becomes "gently caress it's four am."

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

Martytoof posted:

I don't think there are many people that would disagree. It's mostly because the character of Blackadder himself was radically changed.

TheKeeper
Jul 18, 2003

Quantum Shit
In the past two months I've gone through The Wire, Six Feet Under, Rome, and I'm presently halfway through season 4 of Oz and loving it.

After I finish up with Oz I think I may leave my HBO binge and turn my attention to Fringe.

EddieDean
Nov 17, 2009

I struggled with both of these at first but now love both of them, so I feel equipped to answer:

Dollhouse gets far better, and speeds up exponentially. The first five episodes are very 'of the week' as they were asked to tone down the arc stuff, and as such they're probably the weakest five, so I'd try to blast through them in one sitting. When you start to learn more about the Dolls and their histories other than Echo, it starts to really hot up. The non-Dolls have beautiful relationships too, especially Topher with some others. Something happens in the season one finale (episode 13, not 12) which REALLY shakes up the show (for the better), and adds a very exciting perspective during the second season's huge escalation to a very complete and satisfying finale. After those initial five, I don't remember any dud episodes, though there's a crap twist near the end which people didn't like. It didn't ruin the series for me, and it certainly didn't ruin the great buildup and finale.

Fringe, again, is worst at the start. When the show was finding its footing it was pretty weak. However, it moves at a very quick pace: You're not just waiting until the finales for plot and character development. I, like you, got into it once I heard it was dealing with alternate universes (I'd just watched the excellent Charlie Jade), and once that kicks off the show has a lot of very fertile material to play with. I LOVED what they did with the alternate reality stuff. Oh, and the other main mystery, the Observers, develops slowly but steadily, and they clearly knew what they were doing with it so whenever it pops up it's very satisfying. In terms of real character drama, Fringe has some of the best of any show I watch, especially during season two, which is VERY strong. The three main characters (Walter, Pater, Olivia) all seem a little boring at the start. All of them develop very strongly and beautifully over the show's run, starting very soon. A lot of the 'of the week' episodes are excellent - again coming from a guy who doesn't normally like them - especially in season two. Seriously, don't miss this show.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

I have been binging Deadwood lately; I just finished Season 1 and the finale was very very good. I'm thinking maybe Rubicon next but the first episode didn't grab me.

Gone through the first couple seasons of Always Sunny in Philadelphia when people are over mainly... it's kind of hit or miss but usually good.

Anyone have specific recommendations? I like a lot of gritty and at least vaguely realistic stuff. Depictions of the criminal underworld, particularly organized crime, that aim for realism.

Some of my top stuff: The Wire, Breaking Bad, Band of Brothers, Huff, Rome; Firefly, Arrested Development, Suits

Stuff that was in my alley, held my interest for a while, then lost it and I quit watching: Dexter, Burn Notice, Sons of Anarchy, The Walking Dead

JainDoh fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Sep 3, 2012

Ratatozsk
Mar 6, 2007

Had we turned left instead, we may have encountered something like this...

nilumtil posted:

I have been binging Deadwood lately; I just finished Season 1 and the finale was very very good. I'm thinking maybe Rubicon next but the first episode didn't grab me.

Gone through the first couple seasons of Always Sunny in Philadelphia when people are over mainly... it's kind of hit or miss but usually good.

Anyone have specific recommendations? I like a lot of gritty and at least vaguely realistic stuff. Depictions of the criminal underworld, particularly organized crime, that aim for realism.

Some of my top stuff: The Wire, Breaking Bad, Band of Brothers, Huff, Rome; Firefly, Arrested Development, Suits

Stuff that was in my alley, held my interest for a while, then lost it and I quit watching: Dexter, Burn Notice, Sons of Anarchy, The Walking Dead
The Sopranos, for one, seems like it would fit your bill. Then Brotherhood, which is about as close as you can get to a cross between the Sopranos and the Wire.

And the Shield. Are you sure you didn't mistakenly leave the Shield and the Sopranos off your list of things watched?

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

nilumtil posted:

I didn't see the Sopranos in there and if you have not watched it you're missing out.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002

Yeah, I've seen all of the Sopranos episodes and most twice, enjoyed them but didnt consider it on the same level as The Wire or something. I used to watch Brotherhood, I think I got the first two seasons, kind of assumed it got cancelled or ended after that. I'll have to look into there being more of that. I enjoyed it a lot.

Never got into The Shield though. I just can't suppress my rage at the main character, kind of kills it for me. I just want to punch him the whole time because... he's a crooked cop (from what little I've seen). Irrational, perhaps, but it kind of ruined it for me.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

nilumtil posted:

It was mentioned just a few posts up, but Oz is ridiculously good. If you liked The Wire you'll recognize a bunch of actors, and spend the rest of your TV watching life constantly going "oh poo poo, that's the guy/girl from Oz".

On some level I consider The Wire to be the evolved version of Oz. Oz focused on the struggle between criminal factions in a prison. The Wire expanded that to a larger-scale with a more diverse group of warring factions.

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

I watched the first season of The Wire then watched the last 2 seasons of Prison Break (since I didn't see them when they aired) and was looking for my next bindge. As ridiculous as it sounds, I've been marathoning Ally McBeal the last week. It was one of those moments when browsing Netflix, and I saw it was there and thought "Eh, why not". I remember watching part of the last season when it aired, and I'll admit it's a pretty decent show.

I just saw today Twin Peaks is on Netflix too, I think that's my next series.

Really wish The Shield would come on instant watch, I really want to see it finally

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

BGrifter posted:

It was mentioned just a few posts up, but Oz is ridiculously good. If you liked The Wire you'll recognize a bunch of actors, and spend the rest of your TV watching life constantly going "oh poo poo, that's the guy/girl from Oz".

On some level I consider The Wire to be the evolved version of Oz. Oz focused on the struggle between criminal factions in a prison. The Wire expanded that to a larger-scale with a more diverse group of warring factions.

So I guess that it's a smart move to go into Oz after The Wire then? Because that's what I'm doing.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

screenwritersblues posted:

So I guess that it's a smart move to go into Oz after The Wire then? Because that's what I'm doing.

I watched Oz first, but they're both great shows. It's tough to go wrong watching them in either order.

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!

Messyass posted:

I don't think there are many people that would disagree. It's mostly because the character of Blackadder himself was radically changed.

Have they ever revealed why they did a 180 on Blackadder? In the pilot he was the smart one and Baldrick the stupid one. A lot of people seem to think it was Elton's influence that changed this for the second series, but Elton had nothing to do with the pilot.

After several years of putting it off I finally got around to watching 24 S1 and S2 this week. S1 starts off terrible but gets better, S2 is the other way around starting off decent then having 8 episodes of filler involving Jim Robinson at the end. I was able to speed through this even quicker with the sKim Bauer technique of fast forwarding any scene with his wife/kid, doubly so if they happen to be in danger from strange men at the time. S3 apparently has smackhead Bauer so that should be fun.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Messyass posted:

And Hugh Laurie isn't in the first season at all.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Thanks for suggesting Oz. Halfway through season 2, and it is awesome!

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

It's been so long, remind me. How did Blackadder change radically after the first season?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

richardfun posted:

It's been so long, remind me. How did Blackadder change radically after the first season?

In the first season Blackadder was the stupid one and Baldrick was the smart one

CanUSayGym
Aug 19, 2006

Hmm? Vincent van Gogh fuck myself?
Survey says?

Was binging through battlestar galactica then Netflix went to poo poo on my phone. Binged through game of thrones season 1. Now being a huge nerd and binging red vs blue. Probably going to go through Suits after.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

richardfun posted:

It was also shot on location in a castle somewhere, and the quality was just not .. there? I guess shooting it on a soundstage made a big difference too.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I've just been ploughing through Dexter over the last few weeks. I rarely ever watch TV so I completely missed out on it, but I love detective style shows and Dexter had a really unique take on it that I've enjoyed a whole lot. Unfortunately I've found the latest seasons (5 and 6) to be kind of lacking and I've realised that it's just really, really made me want to rewatch Monk again.

So that's what I'm going to do :v: It's going to be weird going from this gory swearfest to the relatively tame and much more cheerful world of the Defective Detective, but goddamn it's just so charming and it's been such a long time since I've seen it that I'm kind of excited to see it all again.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
Just started watching the X Files. I guess i know where my free time will go for the next month or two.

Messyass
Dec 23, 2003

Martytoof posted:

It was also shot on location in a castle somewhere, and the quality was just not .. there? I guess shooting it on a soundstage made a big difference too.

The documentary Blackadder Rides Again explains all of this really well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

As for the monster of the week episodes, you'll be surprised how many of those will be getting referred to later. A lot of them fit into the bigger picture, so I would not skip them, just in case.