Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

TL posted:

Funny thing happened, though: I've been playing it with my eleven year old sister, meaning she does all the town/storyline stuff while I do all the fighting. We're still early in the game, and we just got through the sequence on the airship where you fight the Black Waltz. As we're watching the frantic chase to get through the closing gate, the kid asks me a great question I never thought of: "Why don't they just fly over the gate?".

I made a save when this game came out just so I could watch that part again.

I did not have sex until I was 18. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Azure_Horizon posted:

And it's most likely that ships running on Mist have an altitude limit, since we see no other ships going higher than the Gates pre-Disc 3.

Clearly Lindblum needs to invest in a Yafutoman engine.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Trasson posted:

Clearly Lindblum needs to invest in a Yafutoman engine.

Just 150,000gil!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

TL posted:

I'm doing my yearly playthrough of IX. I'm trying to make a point to steal with more regularity, I've never done much of it before and I really want to max out Thievery as quickly as I can.

Funny thing happened, though: I've been playing it with my eleven year old sister, meaning she does all the town/storyline stuff while I do all the fighting. We're still early in the game, and we just got through the sequence on the airship where you fight the Black Waltz. As we're watching the frantic chase to get through the closing gate, the kid asks me a great question I never thought of: "Why don't they just fly over the gate?".

Height limit because of Mist, they constantly make a big deal about how you need Mist for everything and "how could you operate without Mist" blah blah.

Also thing I didn't know until this playthrough:

You can get 4 of the hidden zodiac coins by the time you first get to Treno. If you give them all to the bird woman you get a Blood Sword which at that point in the game is amazing for Steiner, not only is it stronger than a Mythril sword but it fully recovers any damage he does. It lets you take on that monster in the Treno item shop basement as soon as you get it (equip the wind-reducing armor Steiner starts with) but your reward is just a dumb card.

Also you can good stuff in the Auction House early:

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Treno_Auction_House

Magician's Robe has 21 defense at a time when the highest defense item available to casters is 10. It teaches Auto-Potion and MP+10%, which are useful. I got it for 3500 gil even thought the estimated price is 8000. Fairy Earrings can give Level Up to anyone in your party, Reflect Ring gives auto-reflect but is usually really expensive and Pearl Rouge gives Reflect-Null which lets you heal whoever has auto-reflect.

You can get non-reflect ring items for about 4000 if you keep trying, I could only afford two before I'd have to sell stuff and I moved on.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Height limit because of Mist, they constantly make a big deal about how you need Mist for everything and "how could you operate without Mist" blah blah.

Also thing I didn't know until this playthrough:

You can get 4 of the hidden zodiac coins by the time you first get to Treno. If you give them all to the bird woman you get a Blood Sword which at that point in the game is amazing for Steiner, not only is it stronger than a Mythril sword but it fully recovers any damage he does. It lets you take on that monster in the Treno item shop basement as soon as you get it (equip the wind-reducing armor Steiner starts with) but your reward is just a dumb card.

Also you can good stuff in the Auction House early:

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Treno_Auction_House

Magician's Robe has 21 defense at a time when the highest defense item available to casters is 10. It teaches Auto-Potion and MP+10%, which are useful. I got it for 3500 gil even thought the estimated price is 8000. Fairy Earrings can give Level Up to anyone in your party, Reflect Ring gives auto-reflect but is usually really expensive and Pearl Rouge gives Reflect-Null which lets you heal whoever has auto-reflect.

You can get non-reflect ring items for about 4000 if you keep trying, I could only afford two before I'd have to sell stuff and I moved on.

You should be able to buy the key items (Griffin's Heart, Doga's Artifact, etc.) and sell them to certain people in Treno for extra gil.

And Silk Robes are probably better than Magician Robes because of the Ability Up ability early on. You can only get them at that point through a Chocograph I believe, which means doing it while you're on Zidane's side.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Winks posted:

Why is it weird? We knew this was a consequence of Valhalla merging with reality.

It's just personal preference. I would've rather had the story pick up right from the end of XIII-2. I know I'm being nitpicky and the game is probably gonna turn out great, but these are just my thoughts on the matter.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

TurnipFritter posted:

Here's a bunch of new Lightning Returns details.

Despite taking place hundreds of years in the future or whatever, everyone who was in FFXIII-2 are still alive and at the same age because no one ages or dies anymore. Which is great, because it means that Hope can make a triumphant return in a support role:

quote:

Lightning is all by herself in battle, allowing you to concentrate more than when you had to control a party.

quote:

You can freely move around during battle. Some elements of the battle system are timing-based.

quote:

During battle, you don't select menu commands. Instead, you select abilities which have been assigned to buttons.

It really sounds like they're making a straight up action rpg like it seems they've been trying to do for a while. It sounds like it could be fun though, can't wait to see some footage.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

I already have Final Fantasy Tactics on the PSN for my PS3. I'm getting a PSP soon, is it worth getting The War of the Lions for that if I already have the PS1 version?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Safari Disco Lion posted:

I already have Final Fantasy Tactics on the PSN for my PS3. I'm getting a PSP soon, is it worth getting The War of the Lions for that if I already have the PS1 version?

The PSP version (post unofficial patch, oh dear god post patch) has a re-written script and some additional content. If you love FF Tactics and want a little bit more of it then yeah, get War of the Lions. Otherwise you're fine just using the original version.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Barudak posted:

The PSP version (post unofficial patch, oh dear god post patch) has a re-written script and some additional content. If you love FF Tactics and want a little bit more of it then yeah, get War of the Lions. Otherwise you're fine just using the original version.

And the slowdown has been fixed. It's the best version out there.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Did the patch fix the translation? (Yes, I mean the new translation.)

Sorry, that's going to start another argument here, isn't it? Oh, well. All bets on TWD. Even though I liked Vagrant Story's language-ing.

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

Then again some people don't like the new translation because things like "I had a good feeling" are gone. Some people are weird.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
"Life is short! Bury! Steady Sword!"

Only quote I miss.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

ApplesandOranges posted:

You should be able to buy the key items (Griffin's Heart, Doga's Artifact, etc.) and sell them to certain people in Treno for extra gil.
And you should, because you won't be able to buy the Rat Tail until you sell all of them.

VagueRant posted:

Sorry, that's going to start another argument here, isn't it? Oh, well. All bets on TWD. Even though I liked Vagrant Story's language-ing.
A mandate from heaven has suggested that I no longer discuss such things. I am professionally convicted to my beliefs about localization theory, but that is all I will say on this topic.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 5, 2012

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Sex_Ferguson posted:

It really sounds like they're making a straight up action rpg like it seems they've been trying to do for a while. It sounds like it could be fun though, can't wait to see some footage.

I'm really excited to see how this pans out. I enjoyed FFXIII although I can accept that it was somewhat lacking in the content department, FFXIII-2 was a big improvement but again, quite streamlined. They've mentioned two cities and two larger rural areas, hopefully this time the cities actually feel like they're inhabited by actual people.

Three games spring to mind based on what they've said so far:

Alpha Protocol (can finish the game in a short space of time, but offers replayability)

Majora's mask (obviously)

Metroidvania (the potential for gaining new abilities and exploring further old areas)

I'm cautiously optimistic, but I will probably be buying this

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Polite Tim posted:

I'm really excited to see how this pans out. I enjoyed FFXIII although I can accept that it was somewhat lacking in the content department, FFXIII-2 was a big improvement but again, quite streamlined. They've mentioned two cities and two larger rural areas, hopefully this time the cities actually feel like they're inhabited by actual people.

Three games spring to mind based on what they've said so far:

Alpha Protocol (can finish the game in a short space of time, but offers replayability)

Majora's mask (obviously)

Metroidvania (the potential for gaining new abilities and exploring further old areas)

I'm cautiously optimistic, but I will probably be buying this

They've also discussed how each Day in the game (of 13 days) takes 1-2 hours of gameplay, but you can extend or shorten these Days depending on your actions; the game is built for multiple replays and you can easily end the game before the 13 days are up, but they'll only ever be a maximum of 26 hours for a full, 13-day playthrough.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Playin' FF9 again, for the first time in years.

Just got out of the Evil Forest and onto the world map for the first time, thoughts so far;

it's already more fun than most FF games at this point. The graphics are charming and suck you in, i love all the old school touches (item icons! YES!), I love the musical throwbacks as well

the Princess heist is really fun, with a lot of cool FMV sequences built in, Queen Brahne attacking the Prima Vista could be the climax of a disc easily, it looks great and is exciting

of course, Zidane is cool and not a douche compared to most FF heroes, and Steiner is just a hilarious foil. I forgot how funny this part is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y1yB2f7yu0o&t=5m32s

Yay good times FF games again!

Can you go back to Alexandria and get the jumprope champion later? I gave up after a bit, I got like, 75'ish jumps.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah, you can get Jump Rope champion later in the game.

Question, I've decided to give Final Fantasy Type-0 a shot, is there anywhere I can get a good guide of the story or a gameplay walkthrough? I've already checked the FF Wiki and ff-type0.net, but neither one's really giving me as much as I think I need.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Man, I realized I'm far more affected by the death of Jessie, Wedge, and Biggs in FF7 and the death of Aeris. :(

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Loving Life Partner posted:

Can you go back to Alexandria and get the jumprope champion later? I gave up after a bit, I got like, 75'ish jumps.

Yes, but don't worry about it; Jumprope King is a real pain in the rear end to do and you don't need it to get Treasure Hunter Rank S anyway. Running Queen is a limited-time-only Key Item that you can only do really early in disc 3, but as long as you have some fast fingers you don't have to worry about weird timing poo poo.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Moldy Taxes posted:

That is both the stupidest and best thing I've heard. I was afraid they were going to leave XIII-2 plot threads hanging by throwing the storyline into the future, but god damnit there's better ways to go about it than this.

In fact a lot of the points on the list read to me as "wow, that sounds like a cool idea, but I didn't really want XIII-3 to have that". Especially this:

Yeah sure I can dig that in other games. Not sure if I want it in this one.

Hey it worked for Chrono Trigger. Replaying the hell out of that game was good.

Now if only Square could actually make games as good as Chrono Trigger, we'd be all set.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
Started replaying IX because of others doing so in this thread. I got through Evil Forest, stealing from all the bosses. Holy poo poo this gets you items early on. Too bad it takes upwards of ten tries to successfully steal most of the time.

Still love this game though. Only really played it once at launch, so I don't really remember a whole lot about it other than I enjoyed it.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
You think stealing gives you mad items, just wait til you get to The Best Minigame.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

Francois Kofko posted:

You think stealing gives you mad items, just wait til you get to The Best Minigame.

Oh I loved Chocobo Hot & Cold. I never fought Ozma though, which is my goal this time through.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Whoever is narrating that needs to be locked in a basement with no connection to the outside world.

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Kin posted:

Whoever is narrating that needs to be locked in a basement with no connection to the outside world.

Look, he clearly already has been.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
When I hear of Final Fantasy XIII: Lightning Returns, I think of Shenmue and Majora's Mask. Shenmue 1 and 2 are my favorite game, and Majora's Mask is my favorite Zelda.

So yeah, I'm pretty excited.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I would laugh about this game coming out before VS XIII, an action RPG at that, but at this point it's just sad.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Momomo posted:

I would laugh about this game coming out before VS XIII, an action RPG at that, but at this point it's just sad.

Actually, no, it's still really funny.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Why is Versus taking so long? Does Square have a team dedicated to the game at all or does some guy walk in every day and write like a few lines of code and then leave to go work on games that are actually being released?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
They're trying to figure out how to render more belts.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Well they didn't even start making the game until what, last year? If they had waited until then to actually reveal it, absolutely no one would have a problem with this. It's just the biggest victim of Square's "Show cool stuff, figure out context later, or never if it's XIII" brand of game development.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I wish to report that I'm quite enjoying Final Fantasy Dimensions, even though I'm only up to chapter 2 still. It really feels like it could have come out in 1993 or 1994, something that fits smoothly along the trajectory established by Final Fantasies 3, 4, and 5. Like it was made in the same throwback spirit as FF9 was, but with far more attention to authenticity. You've got your chocobos, your Cids, your airship-powered empire with nefarious goals, your secluded village inhabited by moogles, your absurd yet endearingly earnest scenes of melodrama punctuating a story driven by convenience.

In particular, they've really nailed the gameplay balance, at least this early on. The JP system encourages (but does not require) you to switch your characters' jobs frequently, ensuring that you change up your tactics against random encounters. These encounters are strong enough to drain your resources and require you to employ strategy if you want to ensure you can reach the next save point without just running from everything, and the bosses are suitably interesting. You can even use status effects on 'em! Dungeons have dense layouts with treasure at every dead end, so they're nice and frictioney to traverse, and there's two or three in every chapter.

So, for all that it looks cheap, there was definitely great care and talent brought to bear in the game's development; whatever it was that separated early Final Fantasy from its less successful competitors is present in this game as well. I don't want to make a decisive recommendation until I'm done with it, 'cause at $30 it's priced itself out of impulse-buy range, but it's definitely worth checking out if you're of the sort that thinks all these FFXIII spinoffs are a bunch of newfangled nonsense and malarkey.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
Playing through FFXII Zodiac at the moment. It's starting to get a bit painful to play. I'm using a Hunter/Machinist/Archer/Knight/WM/BM and I'm running Hunter/WM/BM for pretty much every encounter. Mist knacks I don't even bother with.. the animations are way too long for such little damage, and don't get me started with the Espers. I think I've summoned the ones I have.. twice ever?
Hunts have become a nuisance. Too much running around towns involved in that.

I'm at Giruvegan at the moment.. figure I'll just play the rest out then go replay FFX or something :)

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

Krad posted:

They're trying to figure out how to render more belts.

Final Fantasy XII Versus, part of the Fabula Nova Beltallis

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Why is Versus taking so long? Does Square have a team dedicated to the game at all or does some guy walk in every day and write like a few lines of code and then leave to go work on games that are actually being released?

Normally when JRPG developers officially announce a game, they estimate development is at least ~30% complete. When Versus XIII was announced, the only thing they had was the trailer. Everything was in Nomura's head and they had literally nothing on paper, let alone any actual coding done.

Development of the actual game engine wasn't complete until 2007 (later Nomura said that the gameplay uses a completely new engine developed specifically for Versus, but I don't know if that actually means game engine or if that's a mistranslation of him talking about it having new gameplay mechanics that only exist in Versus XIII)...

In conclusion, they gave Tetsuya Nomura a vanity project and it's going about as well as you would imagine.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I'm afraid that they've secretly turned it into XIII-3, what with all this talk of semi-action based gameplay, possibly some kind of open world, etc. :ohdear:

Cyberbob posted:

Playing through FFXII Zodiac at the moment. It's starting to get a bit painful to play. I'm using a Hunter/Machinist/Archer/Knight/WM/BM and I'm running Hunter/WM/BM for pretty much every encounter. Mist knacks I don't even bother with.. the animations are way too long for such little damage, and don't get me started with the Espers. I think I've summoned the ones I have.. twice ever?
Hunts have become a nuisance. Too much running around towns involved in that.

I'm at Giruvegan at the moment.. figure I'll just play the rest out then go replay FFX or something :)

You sure you're doing the quickenings right? I mean, yeah, they take a long time to animate, but you can pretty easily do 30,000+ damage with them, which can be REALLY handy when tough enemies get into critical HP and get a ton of buffs, and you just need to finish them off. Espers are still not that great, but some of them can do pretty good damage even if you just summon them for their finishing moves. May as well get some use out of your mist charges.

Also, yeah, Hunter/Machinist/Archer are pretty redundant jobs, so I can see you not getting much use out of having all of them. The Knight can still do a lot of damage and tank hits like a pro with a shield; casting Decoy on your Tank may leave your BM at full HP for murdering the poo poo out of everything more efficiently.

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

Espers are still not that great, but some of them can do pretty good damage even if you just summon them for their finishing moves. May as well get some use out of your mist charges.

Since espers all have a white magic spell and the ability to use items, they can still be useful for defensive play. In my playthrough of IZJS, I managed to pull out of a big pinch on more than one occasion thanks to the ability to create a spare party member. Especially versus the 100th Trial, where I burned every single Elixir and Megalixir I had in order to call more espers.

I'm not sure if it was a fully intended consequence of the change, but I think it's cool that you have a way to use your mist bar for defense.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
I'm surprised to see so many people picking the Black Waltz chase as their favorite movie from FFIX, when IX has this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MqtmQ7EvUU

Seriously, this is my favorite movie in any FF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

So, for all that it looks cheap, there was definitely great care and talent brought to bear in the game's development; whatever it was that separated early Final Fantasy from its less successful competitors is present in this game as well. I don't want to make a decisive recommendation until I'm done with it, 'cause at $30 it's priced itself out of impulse-buy range, but it's definitely worth checking out if you're of the sort that thinks all these FFXIII spinoffs are a bunch of newfangled nonsense and malarkey.
Really, they should have just used the phone version's sprite assets and call it a day, I think they would have gotten less poo poo for that than putting effort in and getting the "RPG Maker" insults flung at them.