Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Fraction posted:

Either way we're definitely going to the vet tomorrow.

I'm not trying to criticize, I just want to throw in my $.02 in regards to small rodent health in that (for guinea pigs at least), but the minute you notice any possibly serious ailments you need to be out the door and to the vet because they are probably already in trouble if they're starting to show visible symptoms. Waiting a few days because you're 'too busy' could be the difference between life and death.

I hope you get good news from the vet, she really looks quite dreadful. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

The only thing that she was showing before Monday was mite'y fur though. The only reason I'd have been going in was to double check the dose for the ivermectin - but research told me that 0.5ml ivermectin was fine for mice. My vets aren't super knowledgeable about mice; they couldn't tell me what my other mouse died from (couldn't even really offer a good guess) so... But there's no other vets that I could get to by walking/bus route, and I *need* a nearby vet.

This is the first time I've ever put off going to the vets immediately. When my mouse got a tumor appear on a Sunday, she was in Monday morning. When another mouse started having some sort of seizure/brain damage/idk, I had her in within ten minutes. :( I won't be waiting again in future.

I'm *guessing* that her face being cut up by the other mice led to a stress explosion of mites, which has then led to,I dunno, a lowered immune system and her getting an eye infection and a URI. I'm not sure what the vet is going to say tomorrow though.

Paume
Jun 8, 2008

:commissar:
Feeling like posting my two Guinea Pigs! Jarno (the brindle) and Muna ( the tri colour one).

http://imgur.com/a/soQ6J

I made that happy little album to save from overloading the page with pictures.

These little duders are the greatest. Every day I come home from work, their excited squeeking makes my day!

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Welp, I'm £25 poorer and I got some eye drops. He wasn't really concerned about the noises she was making last night, and the ivermectin is fine to use, so basically I'm taking her back in a week to see if that's helped. Her lungs had no sign of being infected, so no pneumonia (what) or URI.

Do you know how fun it is to give a mouse eye drops? Spoilers: it's not fun at all.

This better fix you, mouse :mad:

Cold_Ethyl
Aug 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS

I am SO smart
Hey guys!

I posted a few pages back about getting a hamster with a bad eye from the pet shop, well I got her and took her to the vet the very next day. Her eye was all congealed with blood and closed over, the vet prescribed some eye drops to apply morning and night for 2 weeks. They made very little difference and she'd started off pretty tame but started to hate being touched because of the frequency of the drops. We took her back again and he said there was nothing we could really do. 2 weeks later, and her eye being left alone has seemed to have helped! It still sticks together some mornings but I haven't seen any blood and it looks pretty normal when it's open!

Here's J-Bear

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

OK so with the ivermectin treatment and the eye drops from the vet, Kinkajou seems to be looking a little better imo. Her right eye went pretty dry/scabby, but it feels like it's getting slightly better. It'd be getting better a lot faster if I could actually apply the eye drops properly, but at the moment it's pretty hit and miss.

In the last pic you can see just how bad her fur is/got. She has a back afro :saddowns: But she doesn't seem to be scratching nearly as much as she was - at one point she couldn't even eat a full mealworm without scratching. Other than the back of her head/neck and her back afro, her fur is looking in nicer condition overall. She doesn't look like a disease riddled sewer mouse anymore.

I'm supposed to go later this week to the vets if she didn't look any better (so that we could try some other stuff) but if she continues improving I'll probably just ring and update them. I'll have to carry on using the eye drops for more than a week though, as the amount of times I've been unable to get it near her eyes is pretty crazy, and I always worry about overdosing her in case she licks it off or something. I think the mite problem is getting under hand now though, and I know what to look for in future! :toot:

Also, Captain Invictus, how are the hamster bubs doing?

Shiny Penny
Feb 1, 2009
Ugh you guys I just came home to find my gerbils fighting :( They've been getting along so well the last few months, ever since I did the split-tank screen introduction. They groomed each other and slept together and everything. Now I think that's shot, because one had drawn blood. I don't think either of them are hurt too badly, as I couldn't really find where they had broken the skin. If I do, is there any kind of antiseptic I can put on it so it doesn't get infected? Obviously if it looks real bad I'll take him in, but if it's an in-home looking thing I'll just treat it here. Any idea why they would mysteriously stop getting along? I've read that once blood is drawn they never reconcile their grudges, so it looks like I'll be rehoming one as well as I don't have the space for two set ups. I feel like it's my fault somehow. Man, today sucks :(

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy
Hey guys, I just got 2 gerbils today, both female and both adorable. I was severely tempted to buy a third female from the litter, but I read here that females do better in pairs and though better of it.

Here's what I set them up in:

I'm about to head out and buy some more toys and a proper water bottle (the one I bought is broken), and I'll be buying them a lot more stuff to gnaw on/play with this afternoon. Any suggestions/criticisms regarding the setup? Did I buy the right kind of wheel? I heard they like to burrow so I gave them a nice big cushon of CareFresh Basic bedding that says it's gerbil safe; is this too much or too little for them to play in? For size comparison, the blue and black case in front of the cage is a bit bigger than a CD.

On a side note, I'll be buying a sturdier wood nest for them later today, since the dark one (haven't named them yet) is probably going to destroy that little hut by sundown.

Minister of Chance
Apr 6, 2011

rear end Crackers! posted:

Gerbils fighting :(
Nah, it's really not your fault. Gerbils can develop grudges from one moment to the other.
Never heard that one with the blood drawing before, I don't think that's a sure fire sign for everlasting hate. Try the split-tank technique again, it can work a second time.
I wouldn't put anything on the wounds, but take out the bedding and put papertowels in instead. If they have bathing sand in their home take it out, too.

Your girls look cute. Is one of them gray? Never seen a gray one before. I have two boys, a black and white one (called Chomsky) and a fox with red eyes(called Montague).

Can you measure the height of your bedding? I'm really bad at guessing heights. I like to give my boys a lot of bedding, 20 cm, ~8 inches. They love to build tunnels and caves. I'm in Germany and we don't have that CareFresh stuff, so I don't know how stable it is. If you see that the tunnels crumble easily, you could add some straw. My boys use it to stabilise their tunnels.

Be careful with heavier stuff. Gerbils aren't really intelligent, they burry under heavy stuff and can be crushed by it. One way to prevent that is to buy a wodden house with a flat roof, putting it on the ground and heavy stuff on top.

I'm not really liking the wheel. I've heard horror stories about gerbils loosing their tail because it got between the rungs. Another point is the size, it might be too small. It should have a mesh structure or a closed running surface so that the tail is safe and be at least ~10 inches in diameter. Many people like to hang their wheel down from the top, so it doesn't get burried.
My boys don't have one, they get some time outside their home every other day.

Do you have a bowl with bathing sand? My boys have one in their home all the time, but you can put it in there every weekend, or so, too.

Hope that I wasn't too preachy. Got all my infos from the biggest German gerbil forum and we Germans are fussy about everthing, gerbils included :)

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

Minister of Chance posted:

Nah, it's really not your fault. Gerbils can develop grudges from one moment to the other.
Never heard that one with the blood drawing before, I don't think that's a sure fire sign for everlasting hate. Try the split-tank technique again, it can work a second time.
I wouldn't put anything on the wounds, but take out the bedding and put papertowels in instead. If they have bathing sand in their home take it out, too.

Your girls look cute. Is one of them gray? Never seen a gray one before. I have two boys, a black and white one (called Chomsky) and a fox with red eyes(called Montague).

Can you measure the height of your bedding? I'm really bad at guessing heights. I like to give my boys a lot of bedding, 20 cm, ~8 inches. They love to build tunnels and caves. I'm in Germany and we don't have that CareFresh stuff, so I don't know how stable it is. If you see that the tunnels crumble easily, you could add some straw. My boys use it to stabilise their tunnels.

Be careful with heavier stuff. Gerbils aren't really intelligent, they burry under heavy stuff and can be crushed by it. One way to prevent that is to buy a wodden house with a flat roof, putting it on the ground and heavy stuff on top.

I'm not really liking the wheel. I've heard horror stories about gerbils loosing their tail because it got between the rungs. Another point is the size, it might be too small. It should have a mesh structure or a closed running surface so that the tail is safe and be at least ~10 inches in diameter. Many people like to hang their wheel down from the top, so it doesn't get burried.
My boys don't have one, they get some time outside their home every other day.

Do you have a bowl with bathing sand? My boys have one in their home all the time, but you can put it in there every weekend, or so, too.

Hope that I wasn't too preachy. Got all my infos from the biggest German gerbil forum and we Germans are fussy about everthing, gerbils included :)

Thanks for the advice, and these are the first mammals I've ever owned that were smaller than a cat, so preachy is exactly what I need. You're right about the wheel; now that you mention it I can see how that would be dangerous for them. I took it out and I'll go looking for a safe one tomorrow.

The bedding is about 6 inches deep, so I might add a bit more so they can do some nice tunnels. Thanks for the tips about heavy objects, I just picked up a couple of wood houses, so I'll try that out. I don't have the sand either, so that's another thing I'll get for them in the morning. I have a small secondary cage I'm going to use for them when I'm cleaning their main cage, so I think I'll put the sand bath in that and let them have fun in it a couple times a week, that way when the time comes to clean, they'll be used to it and have something fun to do.

And yeah, the one is gray on top, white on bottom. She's a little calmer than the yellow one, but will sprint from across the cage to crawl into my hand. :) Since I'm studying for the CPA exam (which entails 3 hours of accounting 6 nights a week for about a year), I'm at my computer desk studying pretty much every night after work, so I can already tell that having these two inches away is going to be both extremely distracting and the best thing ever.

Current state of the cage:

I bought some gerbil-safe sticks for chewing and buried them. Mostly I did it for me, because I think it looks cool, but those two love climbing onto their toys to gnaw at the tops of them. They also like pulling them out and running across the cage with them.

And again, these are the first rodents I've ever owned, so please be as preachy as possible. I did a lot of research before getting them, but as evidenced by the wheel, I still have a lot to learn.

e: Also, I haven't seen either of them use the water bottle yet. Do I need to teach them to use one of those that have the little metal ball at the end, or are they smart enough to figure it out themselves?

e2: 6 hours later and their cage resembles a war zone. They chewed a giant chunk out of their tunnel, knocked over/snapped most of the twigs, undermined both their straw hut and their wooden hut, and managed to scatter hay and sticks everywhere. It's the most adorable war diorama ever.

Sumac fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Aug 26, 2012

Minister of Chance
Apr 6, 2011
Looks great :)

My figured the water bottle out on their own. They smell the water and should lick the ball if they're thirsty. Gerbils don't drink that much water, one time a day normally. One of my boys sometimes doesn't drink at all one day and a lot the next. Perhaps roll the ball with your finger so that there is water on it, then they should lick it.

Yeah, gerbils love to redecorate their home. It's great fun to watch. Another great pastime for them is searching for food, so you can just sprinkle it over the bedding and let them find it.
The only things you should give in bowls are fruits and vegs if it's fresh. But to be honest it's easier to buy gerbil food with dried fruits and vegs in it. With fresh food you have to be careful and not let them bury it, or it can get moldy.

Apropos food, does your gerbil food have sunflower seeds in it? If yes, I would sort it out and only give it sometimes as a treat. They are really fatty and gerbils love them, so they get fat rather fast.
Another thing they need, especially till they are one year old, is protein. I prefer to buy food with dried meal worms and grasshoppers. Some food brands have other meat in them, best is lean meat like turkey.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
We let the chins run around in our kitchen while we clean their cages, but they like to try to get behind the fridge. We made a barrier to block the back of the fridge, and we had to keep making it taller and taller because they kept finding ways to get over it. Now they like to climb up our barrier and sit on the top of the fridge. If they jump off it can be Very Bad. If we take down our barrier and they get behind the fridge, they could chew on the wires and that would also be Very Bad.

CHINCHILLAS :negative:

I'm going to have to construct a fridge safety net, aren't I.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

Minister of Chance posted:

Looks great :)

My figured the water bottle out on their own. They smell the water and should lick the ball if they're thirsty. Gerbils don't drink that much water, one time a day normally. One of my boys sometimes doesn't drink at all one day and a lot the next. Perhaps roll the ball with your finger so that there is water on it, then they should lick it.

Yeah, gerbils love to redecorate their home. It's great fun to watch. Another great pastime for them is searching for food, so you can just sprinkle it over the bedding and let them find it.
The only things you should give in bowls are fruits and vegs if it's fresh. But to be honest it's easier to buy gerbil food with dried fruits and vegs in it. With fresh food you have to be careful and not let them bury it, or it can get moldy.

Apropos food, does your gerbil food have sunflower seeds in it? If yes, I would sort it out and only give it sometimes as a treat. They are really fatty and gerbils love them, so they get fat rather fast.
Another thing they need, especially till they are one year old, is protein. I prefer to buy food with dried meal worms and grasshoppers. Some food brands have other meat in them, best is lean meat like turkey.

Thanks for the tips about food. I noticed after the first time I fed them that they took all the food out of the bowl and buried it, then proceeded to poop in the bowl. I'm leaving the bowl there in the hopes they keep doing that, but I'm going to sprinkle the food as you suggested. You're right, it's much more fun watching them hunt and dig for their food.

The stuff I got has sunflower seeds in the kernels, but only about one seed every other tablespoon, so I'll keep an eye out for that in the future, and look into some extra protein sources.

I also introduced them to the big hamster/gerbil ball. I put each one in individually and let them figure out what it did, then let them out. After two introductory trips each, now all I have to do is lower the ball into the cage and they'll race for the entrance. They like it so much that when I lower the ball into the cage to let one out, the other will usually run up and jump in before I can pull it away.

e: Fixed the wording on a couple things.

Sumac fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Aug 27, 2012

furushotakeru
Jul 20, 2004

Your Honor, why am I pink?!

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

We let the chins run around in our kitchen while we clean their cages, but they like to try to get behind the fridge. We made a barrier to block the back of the fridge, and we had to keep making it taller and taller because they kept finding ways to get over it. Now they like to climb up our barrier and sit on the top of the fridge. If they jump off it can be Very Bad. If we take down our barrier and they get behind the fridge, they could chew on the wires and that would also be Very Bad.

CHINCHILLAS :negative:

I'm going to have to construct a fridge safety net, aren't I.

Or, you could put them in a carrier? Or at least put them someplace more controlled like a bathroom.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

It's been a couple years since I made new fleece bedding for my pigs and my current sets are starting to get pretty tired and worn looking. Here's one of the new sets:

Go Blue :toot:

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper
I swear to god that Paul Bunham, my little black dwarf hamster, actually outright enjoys running around my store in his ball. He does fast laps, follows people, checks in with me, and tries to jump into the ball once he sees it. Does anyone else have a ham who seems to love their rolly ball?

My customers think I am super weird for liking this little ham so much and bringing him at times instead of my other, bigger pets. :3:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Pardalis posted:

I swear to god that Paul Bunham, my little black dwarf hamster, actually outright enjoys running around my store in his ball. He does fast laps, follows people, checks in with me, and tries to jump into the ball once he sees it. Does anyone else have a ham who seems to love their rolly ball?

Mine absolutely loves his. He's far more eager about jumping into the ball than climbing onto my hand to leave his cage. He usually just ends up falling asleep in a corner in it after rolling around for awhile, though.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Sirotan posted:

It's been a couple years since I made new fleece bedding for my pigs and my current sets are starting to get pretty tired and worn looking. Here's one of the new sets:

Go Blue :toot:

They look so clean! My three pigs turn the cage into a poop garden about 30 minutes after a fleece change. How do you manage?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Bastard Tetris posted:

They look so clean! My three pigs turn the cage into a poop garden about 30 minutes after a fleece change. How do you manage?

Haha, rest assured after a full day of eating and pooping their cage is totally trashed. I probably took that photo only an hour or so after putting them back in.

dweebgal
Aug 1, 2004

Pardalis posted:

My girl *loves* her ball.

The cutest thing is, when she's whizzing around in it, I always seem to find her rolling about by my feet after a while.

She must get attracted to the vibrations or something from me walking about

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

A question for alucinor or anyone else who has had experience with elderly guinea pigs: my oldest, as seen in my recent photo, is now about 7yrs 6mo old. Old! I guess its not a record or anything but in my history of pigs she is the oldest I've ever had. The past month/month and a half her weight has started to drop and she's lost around 60-70g. I know weight loss due to old age isn't uncommon, I'm just not sure how gradual that weight loss typically is.

She's getting pretty thin and frail but still loves her cukes and hay and runs around like she doesn't know she's old. I know I don't have her for much longer so I just try to make everyday special for her. The bestest piggy. :unsmith:

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

Sirotan posted:

A question for alucinor or anyone else who has had experience with elderly guinea pigs: my oldest, as seen in my recent photo, is now about 7yrs 6mo old. Old! I guess its not a record or anything but in my history of pigs she is the oldest I've ever had. The past month/month and a half her weight has started to drop and she's lost around 60-70g. I know weight loss due to old age isn't uncommon, I'm just not sure how gradual that weight loss typically is.

She's getting pretty thin and frail but still loves her cukes and hay and runs around like she doesn't know she's old. I know I don't have her for much longer so I just try to make everyday special for her. The bestest piggy. :unsmith:

Before I had my chinchillas I had guinea pigs, and all of my old ones got frail before the end. No amount of food would put weight back on, I guess it's just part of getting old. My favorite piggy was almost 8 when she died, she seemed to be a normal weight then seemed to drop weight relatively fast and was pretty frail for about a month before she passed.

As long as she seems happy and otherwise healthy I wouldn't worry too much about it and just enjoy the time you have left. :)

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

As long as she seems happy and otherwise healthy I wouldn't worry too much about it and just enjoy the time you have left. :)

That's the plan. Won't lie though that every time I lose a pig regardless of how I do some amount of soul searching as to why I continue to have animals with such short lifespans as pets. But having pigs like Fuji are exactly why I've kept going back for 17ish years now. :)

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender
Sometimes age-related weight loss is very gradual (100g over 12 months), sometimes it seems a bit faster. My current oldest pig is only 6.5 but he had a thyroid tumor removed in 2009, and he's slowly dropped from 1200g to 850g in the last two years. He used to be such a perfectly sausage shaped pig but now he's my bony old man. :unsmith:

I do much more frequent molar exams on elderly pigs because there's no other way to be sure if a drop is just old age, or if it's the teeth (which is usually the most common cause of anorexia). I bought an otoscope on Amazon and it's been such a reassurance.

Out of curiosity, is your old girl spayed? I have had terrible luck with intact females, they typically only seem to live 5-6 years for me. My neutered males usually easily pass 7, and I've had several 8 and 9 year olds (all neutered boys). But my two spayed females both lived over 7, so I'm always curious if there's a link to spaying. Last year I got three new girls, all about 2 years old, and one got spayed because she'd been housed with a male in the shelter. It'll be interesting to see if she lives longer than her cousins.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I had her into the vet maybe a month and a half ago for something totally different* and her teeth were checked then, vet said they looked excellent. I might consider an otoscope though, seems like a good thing to have around.

She's actually not spayed, and about a year and a half ago when she had a bladder stone removed I asked the vet to spay her while she was opened up. The vet ended up not doing it because she thought it was too much of a risk at the time.

*They were unwilling to give me meds for an eye infection despite my history with the office and relationship with the vets, so I had to haul her in and pay out the nose just for them to admit 'yeah its an eye infection here's some drops'. Pissed me off quite a bit tbqh.

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

One of my gerbils figured out how to eat sunflower seeds today, and suddenly she is a hundred times tamer, although she does root around between my fingers looking for hidden seeds when I pick her up. The other is a bit dumb and hasn't quite got the hang of it yet, so she's still a little more skittish around me.

e: It's the yellow one (getting to know them before naming them) that's the slower one. She also hasn't quite got the hang of the ball, but she's still eager to get in. The grey one rockets around the room, follows me, and all that jazz. The yellow one kind of goes around in a slow circle and gets stuck. At first I thought she didn't like it, but every time I have to scoop her out to get her to leave the ball and block her from jumping back in.

Meanwhile the gray one has mastered the sunflower seed, the ball, and how to stack the furniture so she can jump out of her cage. Definitely not leaving the mesh top off from now on.

Sumac fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Aug 30, 2012

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

I wish my mice liked their ball. I tried putting the girls in when they were younger and it was just an explosion of pee and poop everywhere :saddowns:

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

Oh man, nobody told me that gerbils chirped when they groom each other. :3:

Minister of Chance
Apr 6, 2011

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Oh man, nobody told me that gerbils chirped when they groom each other. :3:

Yeah, it's always cute to hear it. They even chirp to let the other one that they want cuddels, or being groomed.

If they get afraid of something they do this to warn other gerbils:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo8YRX7PdBk

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I present to you: 2 Hamster 1 Wheel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VuMdLm0ccU

I recommend emptying your bladder before watching this so you don't accidentally pee yourself laughing like I almost did.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

rear end Crackers! posted:

Ugh you guys I just came home to find my gerbils fighting :( They've been getting along so well the last few months, ever since I did the split-tank screen introduction. They groomed each other and slept together and everything. Now I think that's shot, because one had drawn blood. I don't think either of them are hurt too badly, as I couldn't really find where they had broken the skin. If I do, is there any kind of antiseptic I can put on it so it doesn't get infected? Obviously if it looks real bad I'll take him in, but if it's an in-home looking thing I'll just treat it here. Any idea why they would mysteriously stop getting along? I've read that once blood is drawn they never reconcile their grudges, so it looks like I'll be rehoming one as well as I don't have the space for two set ups. I feel like it's my fault somehow. Man, today sucks :(

Just catching up on this thread, and I didn't see an update for your dudes. Everything turn out okay? What did you end up doing? :ohdear:

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Kinkajou responded really well to the mite treatment, hasn't been itching at all, and her fur has nearly fully grown back. Her face is still clearing up, albeit slowly because it is very difficult to put any of the eye cream where they have to go so I probably only get some on her eye one in three times, but that's all on the mend.

I'm thinking about trying to reintroduce her and my other solo girl, since I feel bad that they're both on their own. Tosca may or may not have been the one to bite Kinkajou; iirc they were both in the same cage with a third mouse when I seperated Kinks.

I assume I'll have to go very slowly with reintroductions, though having their cages next to each other can't have hurt, so does anyone have any tips? I'm thinking of putting a drop or two of vanilla extract on each of them, putting them in a cage that neither of them have been in for a while (and which has been cleaned etc) as neutral territory, and having them together during the day and splitting up during the night until I'm ready to try them together overnight - thoughts?

McCloud24
May 23, 2008

You call yourself a knight; what is that?

Pardalis posted:

My customers think I am super weird for liking this little ham so much and bringing him at times instead of my other, bigger pets. :3:

My girls like to race each other. I'll make a little track out of shoes. Sunny usually wins, but she's like twice the size of her daughter Daisy, so I'm not surprised by that. Daisy tends to enjoy the ball more. She'll bomb around steadily for as long as I'll let her. Sunny will sit still for a while, then tear off into a wall or a table leg, then sit still again. Both of them will jump right into their ball when I put it up to the open doors of their respective cages.

Paume
Jun 8, 2008

Question for Guinea Pig owners: I have two pigs, both just under a year old and they don't drink any water. Any at all. I mean I have a water bottle for them, fresh water constantly, and I have seen one drink from it like, twice. My previous two pigs had no issue with drinking, but these two never ever drink. I have to give them their vit c through special pellets, chewables and some fruit. We do feed them fresh vegetables many times every day, so do they get enough water from that? It is mostly lettuce, carrots, kale, endives, and a bit of apple. When we do feed it to them, it is washed and still wet when handed over to the pigs. Is that really enough water for them over a day?

Bonus pics:
Jarno

Muna

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Do you put vitamin c drops/tabs in the water? Also, is it filtered? My guinea pigs were extremely picky and only drank filtered water with no drops in it (because I assume that tastes nasty to them).

Paume
Jun 8, 2008

Bear Rape posted:

Do you put vitamin c drops/tabs in the water? Also, is it filtered? My guinea pigs were extremely picky and only drank filtered water with no drops in it (because I assume that tastes nasty to them).

Tried with drops in water, tried without. Gave them filtered water, and tried just tap water ( we have nice water here). No dice.

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

The only guinea pig my family ever had that drank a significant amount of water had severe kidney issues. All the others drabk very minimally. Several pigs would share one bottle that didn't need to be refilled for days, and only then to make sure the water was fresh.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Hey guys. Quick question. I've been asked to take care of my friend's Robo Hamster. Other than the info present on Robo websites, is there any particular precautions I should take? He doesn't like being held so for the most part I just feed him/change bedding/get him water, is that all there is to it really? I'm just unfamiliar with hamsters. I'll be keeping him for a semester or two so I want him to be comfortable.

He's about 4 months old and never stops running on his wheel unless I'm asleep or not home. :v: Seems relaxed, but hides behind his house when I feed him.

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper

Bear Rape posted:

Hey guys. Quick question. I've been asked to take care of my friend's Robo Hamster. Other than the info present on Robo websites, is there any particular precautions I should take? He doesn't like being held so for the most part I just feed him/change bedding/get him water, is that all there is to it really? I'm just unfamiliar with hamsters. I'll be keeping him for a semester or two so I want him to be comfortable.

He's about 4 months old and never stops running on his wheel unless I'm asleep or not home. :v: Seems relaxed, but hides behind his house when I feed him.

I would suggest handling him every few days to keep him calm. If you want to pick him up without being mauled, put a toilet paper tube over him, scoop him up, and plop him on your palm. Make sure to wash your hands first, too, so you don't smell like food. Also, try offering him treats whenever you are doing stuff in his cage to make him less shy. They can be really neat, sweet little pets but take frequent socializing to stay tame because they haven't been bred for the pet trade as long as Syrians have.

Give him a dish of fine dirt for a dust bath if you haven't yet. It is the cutest poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bagleworm
Aug 15, 2007
I has your rocks
I think one of our new mice might be having seizures...

Every now and then I'll hear very loud, distressed squeaking from the cage (it's almost like screaming). When I go over to investigate, there's no movement and more often than not the mice are separated or sleeping. Two nights ago Sparkles was by the front of the cage when she started squeaking. I looked over and she had her head buried in the shavings with her mouth wide open, writhing back and forth. It stopped pretty quickly, but for ten or fifteen minutes afterwards, she was lethargic and disoriented - she sat still but was waving her head back and forth. She seemed to be confused about where she was. That's the first time I've seen an... attack. Normally when I hear the squeaking, I find them in the cage and neither of them seem distressed or disoriented.

I don't know what to do about it. Would taking her to the vet help at all, or is this the kind of thing that you just live with?