Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm currently installing a vCenter server for my 2 node Enterprise cluster and I'm loving terrified/in awe that I'm actually installing it on a real thing, not just reading about it.

Today for grins I started looking at what it would take to get us from ESXi 4.0 to at least 4.1U3. Systems are all firewalled off and on private IP's so I'm not SUPER concerned about drive by hackings, but still, we're behind as gently caress.

vCenter is installed on Win Server 2k3 32-bit, and vCenter 4.1 requires a 64-bit OS :cry: And a bunch of VM's use local storage so I can't do a nice no-downtime vMotion to reboot hosts anyway. That's a lot of work to upgrade to a still-obsolete version.

I pitched a proposal to renew our support contracts so we can get to vSphere 5.1 and buy a modern SAN that actually has the capacity and reliability to get poo poo entirely off local storage. Have a feeling it's going to be shot down for budgetary reasons, though. My boss is also very high on moving operations to the cloud which is another strike against it (not for stupid buzzword reasons, he's a smart and technical guy).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

COCKMOUTH.GIF posted:

So I just found out from reading this ArsTechnica article that Hyper-V Server 2012 has arrived. I've downloaded it and have it running in VMware now, but I haven't played with it extensively yet. I've had a physical Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 going for a while now so I don't have a problem navigating through it. I'm curious to know if anyone else has dabbled in this yet. I haven't looked it up yet but I'm curious to know if you can access the new features of Hyper-V Server 2012 through the Hyper-V Manager in Windows 7, or if you absolutely have to be using Windows 8. Is there an updated RSAT from Microsoft for manipulating the new features from Windows 7? Has anyone actually had a chance to play with the new Hyper-V Server and its features?

From what I've gleaned you won't have an RSAT for Windows 7, it will require Windows 8 to administer Server 2012 machines. TBH I haven't looked farther than reading and talking to folks at MS about it though.

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole

vty posted:

Anyone use Xangati? I've recently migrated my entire environment from Xenserver over to Vmware Enterprise (VSPP). I have Veeam One, haven't gotten to far with messing around with it as it's only been a few days, but I just ran across Xangati and it looks pretty damned nice.

It's good, but vCenter Operations is better.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Nebulis01 posted:

From what I've gleaned you won't have an RSAT for Windows 7, it will require Windows 8 to administer Server 2012 machines. TBH I haven't looked farther than reading and talking to folks at MS about it though.
RSAT also runs on Server 2012, of course, if you'd rather take the terminal server route than upgrade all your Windows 7 clients.

Jadus
Sep 11, 2003

COCKMOUTH.GIF posted:

Is there an updated RSAT from Microsoft for manipulating the new features from Windows 7? Has anyone actually had a chance to play with the new Hyper-V Server and its features?

Unfortunately you can't manage Hyper-v 2012 from windows 7 RSAT or Hyper-v Manager and you also can't manage Hyper-v 2008 r2 from a Windows 8 or server 2012 hyper-v manager. See this post and comments: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/virtual_pc_guy/archive/2012/05/29/installing-the-remote-management-tools-for-windows-8-hyper-v.aspx

I've got an install of 2012 about to go live, using vhdx which are larger than 2TB, and I'll be looking at upgrading my cluster in the very near future for the better CSV features and Replica feature.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Misogynist posted:

RSAT also runs on Server 2012, of course, if you'd rather take the terminal server route than upgrade all your Windows 7 clients.

That's an idea, but I'm not sure how well it would work on Hyper-V Server 2012. It's all console-based so unless I can get it to run from the command prompt it might be a bit of a challenge. This whole thing seems pretty counter-intuitive on Microsoft's part, but I understand it makes sense from a "make more money and keep forcing people to migrate" perspective.

PUBLIC TOILET fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Sep 5, 2012

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

COCKMOUTH.GIF posted:

That's an idea, but I'm not sure how well it would work on Hyper-V Server 2012. It's all console-based so unless I can get it to run from the command prompt it might be a bit of a challenge. This whole thing seems pretty counter-intuitive on Microsoft's part, but I understand it makes sense from a "make more money and keep forcing people to migrate" perspective.

I believe you should be to everything from powershell in regards to Hyper-V administration from a Windows 7 box though.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Hopefully I can get to work on some 5.1 revisions tomorrow night assuming I don't have to *basically* rebuild the environment tomorrow nights class, and assuming I don't get asked too many questions from students.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
1 month, 11 hours and 42 minutes. I'm proud of your restraint, son.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

FISHMANPET posted:

I'm currently installing a vCenter server for my 2 node Enterprise cluster and I'm loving terrified/in awe that I'm actually installing it on a real thing, not just reading about it.

There isn't much to it.

Are you going for physical or virtual for vCenter?

Also what are you going to use for your DB?

three
Aug 9, 2007

Moey posted:

There isn't much to it.

Are you going for physical or virtual for vCenter?

Also what are you going to use for your DB?

Oracle like a real man.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

three posted:

Oracle like a real man.
He'll be dead by the new year

Included SQL Express for two nodes is my vote. I mean at most, even if you go crazy with funding, it turns into a ten node cluster. If you somehow end up with 700 hosts, build another vCenter server then.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

three posted:

Oracle like a real man.
Can I have your mailing address? I want to send you a bullet to save you the trouble it buying it yourself.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Sql Server Standard, because why the gently caress not.

It's all research so to the best of my reading and conferring with supervisors, it's all "free" with our MS Dreamspark and VMware academic program licenses. Which is the only reason I've got a 2 node cluster of Enterprise with vCenter Standard.

Currently installing two separate virtual servers, both 1 vCPU 4GB RAM for SQL and vCenter. They're on local storage right now because I don't have a wired connection to the SAN yet, but once I do I'll svmotion them to shared storage.

Would it be completely insane to run vCenter and its SQL server with FT?

E: Not that it would be needed, because HA would be enough, but are they any recommendations/warnings about running those with FT?

E2:

three posted:

Oracle like a real man.

We have an instruction license for Oracle DB, and our Oracle rep has basically said "everything you do with it is research" wink wink nudge nudge so we're leaving it at that, and after a meeting my boss asked if we'd be using Oracle for the DB and if I'd been drinking something I think I would have done a spit take all over him, as he was sitting across the table from me.

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 6, 2012

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Yeah I have yet to see someone choose or someone switch from MS MSQL to Oracle.

Like you said HA should be fine.

I believe VMware supports the use of 2 vCpu's but am not aware of support to 1 vCPU. Worst is you run into slowdowns with vCenter responding, VUM updating, or provisioning of resources, and if poo poo hits the fan VMware won't provide support for your vCenter server as it is configured in an unsupported method.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 6, 2012

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
That bug with upgrading vCenter 5 on an Oracle database pretty much put the nail in the coffin for me, because it pretty clearly screams that not even VMware tests Oracle DB that well.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
I sometimes wish FT was an Ent+ feature only or something, because the fact that it's available Standard and Ent just makes people think it's a good idea to actually use it.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

Mierdaan posted:

I sometimes wish FT was an Ent+ feature only or something, because the fact that it's available Standard and Ent just makes people think it's a good idea to actually use it.

So I know that it requires the VM ve only single vCPU, and that since the VM is always running on two machines it uses twice the resources. It's also not a replacement for redundant services (clustered file servers, multiple domain controllers, etc etc). Is there anything else I'm missing?

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

FISHMANPET posted:

So I know that it requires the VM ve only single vCPU, and that since the VM is always running on two machines it uses twice the resources. It's also not a replacement for redundant services (clustered file servers, multiple domain controllers, etc etc). Is there anything else I'm missing?

Twice the resources is a massive understatement. It's costing you host CPU cycles and a massive amount of network traffic between the hosts to keep the VM in lockstep. In addition, you're also looking at a massive amount of complexity. You can't vMotion a FT VM.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

madsushi posted:

Twice the resources is a massive understatement. It's costing you host CPU cycles and a massive amount of network traffic between the hosts to keep the VM in lockstep. In addition, you're also looking at a massive amount of complexity. You can't vMotion a FT VM.

Ugh, that's right, forgot about that last one. So I know HA has to be enabled, but what happens when you put one of those hosts in maintenance mode. Do you have to manually disable FT and reenable it so the host appears on a new node?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

FISHMANPET posted:

We have an instruction license for Oracle DB, and our Oracle rep has basically said "everything you do with it is research" wink wink nudge nudge so we're leaving it at that
The moment he learns you're not using it for research you'll get hit with licensing. Oracle is very good at one thing, and that's extracting money from customers.

FISHMANPET posted:

Would it be completely insane to run vCenter and its SQL server with FT?
Just don't. HA the VM's, check your backups and call it a day.

Corvettefisher posted:

if poo poo hits the fan VMware won't provide support for your vCenter server as it is configured in an unsupported method.
No biggie right?

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Sep 6, 2012

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Do not FT a god damned vCenter server

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

adorai posted:

Can I have your mailing address? I want to send you a bullet to save you the trouble it buying it yourself.

Send him two: One to shoot the vcenter box with, the second to kill himself.

three
Aug 9, 2007

Oh look at all the little babies not many enough to run a real database.

PS I dont actually run Oracle for vCenter, you silly guys.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003
In place upgrades of esxi 4.0 to 5 on hosts with local storage (gently caress local storage), has anyone experienced any kind of disaster? Coworkers have done a few but I'm nervous all the same since the client has no vm level backups and rebuilding all of their servers in a weekend would suck if the datastore gets eaten. I'd be using the iso.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

I just wish I could ditch vCenter's SQL Server for Postgres, since that's the only database I know how to run.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

sanchez posted:

In place upgrades of esxi 4.0 to 5 on hosts with local storage (gently caress local storage), has anyone experienced any kind of disaster? Coworkers have done a few but I'm nervous all the same since the client has no vm level backups and rebuilding all of their servers in a weekend would suck if the datastore gets eaten. I'd be using the iso.
And there's nowhere to put the VM files while you upgrade? lole

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

sanchez posted:

Backup the virtual machines to some separate storage before doing the upgrade if you are that nervous (USB Drive maybe?)

I honestly wouldn't even do it if they had no off host backups and you couldn't facilitate a cheapo solution like a USB drive.

Edit: Is there a vcenter server involved? If so vmotion the VM's to another host then do the upgrade.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Can't vmotion without shared storage.

three
Aug 9, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

You can now (with 5.1, which isn't that helpful).

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

evil_bunnY posted:

Well not vmotion but you can migrate without shared.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Rhymenoserous posted:

Well not vmotion but you can migrate without shared.

If they're just now upgrading to 5 and haven't sprung for shared storage yet, what are the chances they've got Enterprise licensing

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Mierdaan posted:

If they're just now upgrading to 5 and haven't sprung for shared storage yet, what are the chances they've got Enterprise licensing

One day I'll introduce you to my old webhosting company.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011
Set up cheapo NFS if you really must.

madsushi
Apr 19, 2009

Baller.
#essereFerrari

sanchez posted:

I've done it about a dozen times and never had to restore from backup. Note how I used the word "backup" there, because I took one before every single upgrade. Don't chance it, just bring in a big USB drive and use the CLI to copy the VMDKs to it. You could also use WinSCP from a desktop or something too.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
Has anyone dabbled with Mac OS on ESXi? I really want to have a 10.7.4 server running on a Mac Pro host because our XServe is ancient and I want more reliability.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

madsushi posted:

I've done it about a dozen times and never had to restore from backup. Note how I used the word "backup" there, because I took one before every single upgrade. Don't chance it, just bring in a big USB drive and use the CLI to copy the VMDKs to it. You could also use WinSCP from a desktop or something too.

After some discussion this is more or less the plan. Thankyou sirs for your input

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Anyone have suggestions for tools to stress test or otherwise analyze the config of a new deployment? I feel like I should be automating this.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Was Oracle ever the best, or at least a good database? I don't know anything about it but from reading this thread I don't understand how they are a business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

thebigcow posted:

Was Oracle ever the best, or at least a good database? I don't know anything about it but from reading this thread I don't understand how they are a business.
Oracle's a really good database for very many things, they're just a third-class citizen as far as vCenter DB support is concerned.