Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

TL posted:

I'm surprised to see so many people picking the Black Waltz chase as their favorite movie from FFIX, when IX has this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MqtmQ7EvUU

Seriously, this is my favorite movie in any FF.

I just think the fancifully epic music combined with Vivi going loving berserk, Zidane barely hanging onto Vivi after he expended on all of his power, and Black Waltz #3 loving his own poo poo up makes it the best movie in an FF game to me. When I played it for the first time, I knew the game would be my favorite of the series and nothing would ever, ever, ever top it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Miracon posted:

Since espers all have a white magic spell and the ability to use items, they can still be useful for defensive play. In my playthrough of IZJS, I managed to pull out of a big pinch on more than one occasion thanks to the ability to create a spare party member. Especially versus the 100th Trial, where I burned every single Elixir and Megalixir I had in order to call more espers.

I'm not sure if it was a fully intended consequence of the change, but I think it's cool that you have a way to use your mist bar for defense.

Really, defensive play is the only reason TO use them, outside burst damage from their finishers. If you have any idea what you're doing, the damage output from an Esper is far lower than what you'd get from your two missing party members. The problem with using them defensively is they have far too few HP to tank tough monsters, which are the only kind you usually need to take special defensive measures against. This is exacerbated in IZJS, when only certain classes have access to things like Bubble, Protect, etc. to increase their longevity.

Their best features are their status immunity, and sometimes their elemental immunities. I always use Zalera to kill the last Crystal Bug early, because he's immune to all elemental damage. They're also good against things like the Elder Wyrm and other status-happy enemies.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Francois Kofko posted:

You think stealing gives you mad items, just wait til you get to The Best Minigame.

Chocobo Minigame is the only one I am bothering with this time, although I'm not sure if I'm gonna go all the way and get to the point where I can fight Ozma. gently caress stupid jumpropes and races and stuff I just wanna dig up some treasure. I forgot, don't you have to play the cardgame at some point? Ugh.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Chocobo Minigame is the only one I am bothering with this time, although I'm not sure if I'm gonna go all the way and get to the point where I can fight Ozma. gently caress stupid jumpropes and races and stuff I just wanna dig up some treasure. I forgot, don't you have to play the cardgame at some point? Ugh.
You do, but you can lose with no problems, it's only three matches tops, and the final match is a joke. You get a Rebirth Ring for winning, but that's about it.

As far as Ozma goes, I would suggest doing the Friendly Monsters sidequest too. I didn't know this until recently, but completing it makes Ozma weak to Dark-element spells rather than absorb them. That helps right out the gate because pretty much the only opener you'll keep against Ozma is when it starts with Doomsday, anything else is pretty much an instant wipe.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Sep 6, 2012

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
You do but it's three matches.
Been playing through it with a friend for the past couple weeks and I'm remembering just how obnoxious the Mognet sidequest is (very). Chocobo totes makes up for it but seriously who thought up this moogle poo poo that falls apart if you miss one letter

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Francois Kofko posted:

Been playing through it with a friend for the past couple weeks and I'm remembering just how obnoxious the Mognet sidequest is (very). Chocobo totes makes up for it but seriously who thought up this moogle poo poo that falls apart if you miss one letter

I like the Mognet sidequest because it emphasizes exploration and most of the letters are well-written/entertaining.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

You do, but you can lose with no problems, it's only three matches tops, and the final match is a joke. You get a Rebirth Ring for winning, but that's about it.

As far as Ozma goes, I would suggest doing the Friendly Monsters sidequest too. I didn't know this until recently, but completing it makes Ozma weak to Dark-element spells rather than absorb them. That helps right out the gate because pretty much the only opener you'll keep against Ozma is when it starts with Doomsday, anything else is pretty much an instant wipe.

Oh yeah when I beat Ozma way back in PS1 days I did the friendly monsters quest, wouldn't have won otherwise as I think Ozma ended up killing itself with Doomsday. I did pretty much everything other than Treasure Hunter/Card stuff, I think I got every Chocograph and had Zidane/Vivi/Steiner/Dagger all hitting for 9999 which was tedious as poo poo.

I think Steiner just needed to get Shock to do it which is a chocobo reward, Vivi just needed Flare and Reflectx2, but Zidane needed to grind up thievery and for Dagger you needed to grind up I think Rubies so that Bahamut would become stronger.

This time I'm trying to use a completely different party from the first 4 you get. I was thinking Freya who has a very easy 9999, maybe Quina for his spells but his frog drop 9999 is too boring to level up so I'll see how Limit Glove does, and I wanted Eiko but as far as I know she can't reliably do 9999 right?

Francois Kofko posted:

I am obsessively checking every moogle. It's dumb, sometimes if you deliver a letter you still have to check mognet again for them to give you their own letter. I don't even remember what the reward was.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Oh yeah when I beat Ozma way back in PS1 days I did the friendly monsters quest, wouldn't have won otherwise as I think Ozma ended up killing itself with Doomsday. I did pretty much everything other than Treasure Hunter/Card stuff, I think I got every Chocograph and had Zidane/Vivi/Steiner/Dagger all hitting for 9999 which was tedious as poo poo.

I think Steiner just needed to get Shock to do it which is a chocobo reward, Vivi just needed Flare and Reflectx2, but Zidane needed to grind up thievery and for Dagger you needed to grind up I think Rubies so that Bahamut would become stronger.

This time I'm trying to use a completely different party from the first 4 you get. I was thinking Freya who has a very easy 9999, maybe Quina for his spells but his frog drop 9999 is too boring to level up so I'll see how Limit Glove does, and I wanted Eiko but as far as I know she can't reliably do 9999 right?

I am obsessively checking every moogle. It's dumb, sometimes if you deliver a letter you still have to check mognet again for them to give you their own letter. I don't even remember what the reward was.

supersoft I believe

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Limit Glove is super reliable, actually, since Ozma's repertoire is like 99% instant-death-from-damage poo poo. It takes a tiiiiiiny little bit of preparation, but it's nothing really: put on Auto-Life (which always revives you at 1HP, which is Limit Glove's activation value), kill Quina and let it revive hir before heading into battle, and make sure you have that one armor that nullifies Dark damage (there's two Dark-element armors, one of which absorbs it instead) equipped. Bonus: when Ozma inevitably uses some bullshit auto-wipe spell like Meteor, Quina will still come back, and still have the requisite 1HP.

Polite Tim posted:

supersoft I believe
Protect Ring. They exist in a strictly limited quantity. They halve all elemental damage and teach your fighters Long Reach (which does exactly what it says on the tin). Of course, it's your call between that and the (casters-only) Wind and Holy nullification of Ribbons. I prefer the former on everyone; some folks like to give their mages Ribbons for the magic bonus, but I've always found that completely unnecessary.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Sep 6, 2012

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Azure_Horizon posted:

I just think the fancifully epic music combined with Vivi going loving berserk, Zidane barely hanging onto Vivi after he expended on all of his power, and Black Waltz #3 loving his own poo poo up makes it the best movie in an FF game to me. When I played it for the first time, I knew the game would be my favorite of the series and nothing would ever, ever, ever top it.

Lets just agree that FF9 had excellent FMVs. Really the whole game was fantastic. I know people aren't all that fond of the other continents due to the lack of big cities, but I really liked the whole package. Yes, including hippo racing and jumprope. The whole atmosphere and design of the game is wholly charming and likeable, and as much as I enjoy the later Final Fantasy games, I think 9 was the last truly great game in the series.

The soundtracks to the PSOne era games were really memorable too, I can't remember any music from XIII-2 even though I played it only three months ago. apart from Crazy Chocobo, of course

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Apprently Versus is still a thing, or at least, Nomura thinks it is:

quote:

Tetsuya Nomura revealed a drawing to celebrate the Final Fantasy 25th Anniversary in the Final Fantasy Gallery Official Pamphlet. The drawing shows Final Fantasy Versus XIII's protagonist Noctis, with the text "Congratulations on the 25th anniversary. Please wait for his turn to appear".

His turn coming around Final Fantasy's 300th Anniversary.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Sep 6, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The White Dragon posted:

Limit Glove is super reliable, actually, since Ozma's repertoire is like 99% instant-death-from-damage poo poo.

Yeah Limit Glove is effective against Ozma but in general gameplay it's kind of annoying to constantly revive Quina before you get Auto-Life. I have the spell but the ability is still later in the game. I also don't remember when you get the freedom to actually stick to a party either, I forgot how much they decide your party for you and even later on they have stuff like the split dungeons where you have to use all 8 members.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TL posted:

I'm surprised to see so many people picking the Black Waltz chase as their favorite movie from FFIX, when IX has this:

Haha, I forgot that "Quite a woman you fell in love with!" "You're one to talk!" exchange.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Polite Tim posted:

as much as I enjoy the later Final Fantasy games, I think 9 was the last truly great game in the series.

People said that about 6. They either do or will say that about 12. Every game is the worst game in the series.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Every game is the worst game in the series.

Except 5. :colbert:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I just booted up my FF Tactics (WotL) file again, and apparently I left it off at around Orbourne Monastery or something.

Right now I apparently have:

-Ramza, who's almost done with Monk and Squire
-Generic Archer who's maxed out Monk
-Generic Ninja who's got about 4 levels in Chemist
-Generic Time Mage. I think I was going to make him a Summoner?
-2 Red Chocobos
-Mustadio and Agrias

All the generics are male. Everyone is around level 21 except Agrias and Mustadio who are level 15.

Is it going to be rough going from here on? Do I need any female generics, or will I be fine with the current party?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I'd ditch the Archer for... anything, really. If you're intending to make that Time Mage a Summoner, they might benefit from being female, yeah. Females get better MA, males better PA.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

TL posted:

That could easily be top 5 favorite scenes in any FF game ever for me. The music, the visuals, the atmosphere they create, the simple dialogue showing how characters like Steiner, Garnet and Beatrix have all grown, it's just perfect in every way.

I'm totally on a FFX kick at the moment due to TDI's LP though and that really effects my judgment of whatever I think is the absolute best. For instance, I'd probably say, currently, my favorite scene in any FF is the FFX party crashing Seymour's evil wedding or the final confrontation with Yunalesca.

I need to buy a new copy of FFX now. It's gotta be like, $5 on Amazon or something.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

I just booted up my FF Tactics (WotL) file again, and apparently I left it off at around Orbourne Monastery or something.

Right now I apparently have:

-Ramza, who's almost done with Monk and Squire
-Generic Archer who's maxed out Monk
-Generic Ninja who's got about 4 levels in Chemist
-Generic Time Mage. I think I was going to make him a Summoner?
-2 Red Chocobos
-Mustadio and Agrias

All the generics are male. Everyone is around level 21 except Agrias and Mustadio who are level 15.

Is it going to be rough going from here on? Do I need any female generics, or will I be fine with the current party?

What are their zodiac signs? I can't emphasize enough how important it is to have three units in a good compatibility triangle, epsecially that time mage.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
I have never once paid attention to zodiac signs. Worry about them if you find that level of sperging fun, but it's not the make-it-or-break-it deal Fister Roboto says it is. At all.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Bonaventure posted:

I have never once paid attention to zodiac signs. Worry about them if you find that level of sperging fun, but it's not the make-it-or-break-it deal Fister Roboto says it is. At all.
It only really fucks up your healer/buffer. If they have bad compatibility with your guys they can't heal or revive them in a crucial moment but you can get around that by using chemists or raising Faith.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics
Since we're talking about FFIX, if anyone's a completionist, in the middle of the three mandatory card games, there's a certain sidequest item you can miss completely and be unable to retrieve afterward.

You can go to the Mayor's Room in Dali, then keep searching around until you get some coffee. I think you have to search the dresser or something twice to get it.

I found this out a couple hours after I was locked out of it. :(

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Polite Tim posted:

Lets just agree that FF9 had excellent FMVs. Really the whole game was fantastic. I know people aren't all that fond of the other continents due to the lack of big cities, but I really liked the whole package. Yes, including hippo racing and jumprope. The whole atmosphere and design of the game is wholly charming and likeable, and as much as I enjoy the later Final Fantasy games, I think 9 was the last truly great game in the series.

The soundtracks to the PSOne era games were really memorable too, I can't remember any music from XIII-2 even though I played it only three months ago. apart from Crazy Chocobo, of course

I can't agree with that last point; XIII-2 has the best music in the series since IX, and I play the OST almost daily.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

It only really fucks up your healer/buffer. If they have bad compatibility with your guys they can't heal or revive them in a crucial moment but you can get around that by using chemists or raising Faith.

Ramza's Taurus, the Mage is Virgo, so... pretty bad, I guess.

The other two are Aries/Libra, so I guess that's another no go.

I guess I should just raise up another generic. I could use another mage anyway, since I don't think Red Chocobos will last all the way to the endgame, right?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ApplesandOranges posted:

Ramza's Taurus, the Mage is Virgo, so... pretty bad, I guess.

The other two are Aries/Libra, so I guess that's another no go.

I guess I should just raise up another generic. I could use another mage anyway, since I don't think Red Chocobos will last all the way to the endgame, right?

Taurus and Virgo have good compatibility so you're actually doing it right. Consider getting a capricorn to round it out, although you'll probably want to make a new female mage as others have said. Your aries and libra have worst compatibility because they're the same sex.

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

Apprently Versus is still a thing, or at least, Nomura thinks it is:

And people say that Toriyama's characters all look alike...

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Azure_Horizon posted:

I like the Mognet sidequest because it emphasizes exploration and most of the letters are well-written/entertaining.

I distinctly remember that if you miss one or two of them, you're disqualified from the whole sidequest (because there are some moogles you can't reach again, iirc). Encouraging exploration is good, but permanently missable fairly large sidequests aren't. (Jumprope and Hippaul Racing are both tiny in comparison so it's not a big deal that they vanish, imo)

VVVVV

BEADS AND SASHES 4 LYFE

fronz fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 6, 2012

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

CarpiliusCoralinus posted:

It is basically Cloud and Lightning's face. Or, rather, Nomura's generic "protagonist" face.

To move away from Belts and Zippers, and on to Beads and Sashes:

Amano celebrating 25 years of the best and worst games of the series.

Can you tell which game they're from? Or which white-haired, androgynous character is which?

[e]: Yeah, it's easy to know where they're from, but Amano really has a thing for blondes :v:
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 6, 2012

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Yeah, that's actually pretty easy to identify them.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I'm seriously digging Amano's Tidus.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Mr. Maltose posted:

I'm seriously digging Amano's Tidus.

Here's a pretty decent other one of him:

He also manages the impossible, and makes Tidus' shorts look not retarded, by making it look like someone ripped the leg off, rather than just not having it because...uh...fashion.

[e]: Makes me sad it's only a picture of her head. All his character designs for IX were pretty great. Some of his other stuff for IX like the airship, not so much.
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 6, 2012

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Pesky Splinter posted:

[e]: Yeah, it's easy to know where they're from, but Amano really has a thing for blondes :v:
I hear you on that. It's odd though, because he does more art sometimes that fleshes out the characters instead of having the same silhouettes.

That Tidus piece was one I was going to point to. He also does a nice Beatrix.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
All of Amano's character designs remind me of Elric. Here's Elric in sport shorts and a water sword, there's Elric with two swords, have Elric as a pirate for free. They're distinct enough that you can easily tell them apart, but they all have the willowy albino thing going.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Huh. :stare:

Never knew Amano did stuff for Moorcock.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Mr. Maltose posted:

All of Amano's character designs remind me of Elric. Here's Elric in sport shorts and a water sword, there's Elric with two swords, have Elric as a pirate for free. They're distinct enough that you can easily tell them apart, but they all have the willowy albino thing going.

Better than Nomura's "Everyone is Gackt."

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Every game is the worst game in the series.

This is true, except that 2 actually really is the worst game in the series. And Amano is the best artist.

You are allowed to disagree because we are all friends here, but keep in mind that you are also technically allowed to cheat on your spouse; it may still say something about your character.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Pesky Splinter posted:

Here's a pretty decent other one of him:

He also manages the impossible, and makes Tidus' shorts look not retarded, by making it look like someone ripped the leg off, rather than just not having it because...uh...fashion.

Don't worry, Nomura can fix that:

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

CarpiliusCoralinus posted:

I have no idea what you're talking ab

Well now!

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

TurnipFritter posted:

Don't worry, Nomura can fix that:

NOOOOOOOMMMMMUUUURRRRAAAAA! :argh:

(I actually like most of the Dissidia designs and models, mostly because of how decent they look.)

Krad posted:

I have no idea what you're talking ab

Well now!

Oh, c'mon now seriou-

:stare:

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Sep 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Azure_Horizon posted: