Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small

Chido posted:

I know :glomp:, I just really hate going to the doctor, so I try to give excuses and postpone the trip as much as I can when I know I have to pay. If I had scratched my eye while in college, then I would've gone much sooner to the campus health center.

Chido, thank you for getting that checked. You only have one set of eyes. Now you need to start keeping the feathers of your hen hoes to help pay for this! AHA HA HA Take care Chido! I feel like we are a family here. :3:

piscesbobbie fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Sep 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Uh huh, corneal abrasion. Thought that sounded familiar. They hurt like a BITCH. Good girl for getting it looked at, and one word of caution: Make sure the eye drops they gave you are for use in the EYE. Years ago I had a doctor give me samples that clearly said, 'Not for opthalmic use' right on the label. When I pointed it out, he looked pretty shaken. Do the full course of antibiotics, even if you think you're gonna be OK--stopping them too soon can lead to a relapse of the infection which can then be drug resistant and even HARDER to treat the second time around.

That poor guy in the other chat window looks SO confused. :keke:

Nettle: I've never run chickens on woodchips, but straw stays pretty dry on top and works well for us...my chickens always managed to scratch around my garden bed woodchips and pretty much got to the dirt, but straw tends to just spread around and interlock better.

Zeta, I agree with everyone else, friend or not if someone is on the job kids and pets should stay at home. Or in the truck. Dogs, that is. :v:

We successfully integrated both coops today with only minimal grumpy fussiness on the part of the older chickens. The really older birds just gave us that disgusted, 'What, again?' glare. Nigel has gone to a new home and Dinner and Weedcat are now in the small coop till the rest of the flock is running smoothly. The two boys aren't too happy but all is well. Scott jumped Bloop about three times, just enough to make the point of who is Head Roo, which Bloop accepted. Georgia is just blending in although some of the older hens have givien him the hairy eyeball and he's wisely run away when they do. Rafe is just chill with everyone, he doesn't bother anyone and no one bothers him (he's too damned big!).

Detente is a beautiful thing. :)

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Very sad day. :(

Rafe, our big buff Brahma roo hatched last year, just died of a heart attack. He'd been hanging out with some dust bathing hens moments before.

It's kind of a known hazard of large breed roos, they carry so much weight on their chests. He was one of my favorites, so big and beautiful, so calm and sweet to the hens.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

Oh no Rafe :( I'm so sorry VS :sympathy:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Very sorry to hear that VS. You gave Rafe a wonderful life. :sympathy:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Very sad day. :(

Rafe, our big buff Brahma roo hatched last year, just died of a heart attack. He'd been hanging out with some dust bathing hens moments before.

Oh god, poor baby, he was one of my favourite Chickam kids. :( So sorry to hear.

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!
Rafe, no! :ohdear:

How big was Rafe compared to the other Roos?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

Vaga42Bond posted:

Rafe, no! :ohdear:

How big was Rafe compared to the other Roos?

Rafe was the biggest and heaviest, taller and broader than Dinner. He weighed about 15 pounds I think. He was the Brahma roo we'd just decided to keep, we and the hens loved him. :smith:

Why is it always your favorite?

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

VELVET SPARROW - Nooo so sorry to hear about Rafe. :sympathy:

I remember seeing the KID introducing him and using him for a pillow. He was bigger than her head! He was so calm.

I hope he did not suffer.

piscesbobbie fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Sep 7, 2012

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Nettle: I've never run chickens on woodchips, but straw stays pretty dry on top and works well for us...my chickens always managed to scratch around my garden bed woodchips and pretty much got to the dirt, but straw tends to just spread around and interlock better.

Seems we're gonna go with gravel, looking around, seems it'll come out to about the same price but it won't need replacing nearly as often and shouldn't have the same mould risk.

Sorry about your roo. :(

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Rafe was the biggest and heaviest, taller and broader than Dinner. He weighed about 15 pounds I think. He was the Brahma roo we'd just decided to keep, we and the hens loved him. :smith:

Why is it always your favorite?

I'm sorry to hear this :(

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Sorry for your loss VS :(

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

... I'm angry with Roo right now. He's usually very quite and doesn't crow much in the morning, but man, today he kept on going for like an hour. I gave up trying to sleep and looked out of the window to see why he's being so loud, and I only see him and Flake.

I went out to check on the chickens, and apparently Roo was crowing nonstop because his hoes didn't want to get out of the coop. I kicked them all out and went back to bed. I'm gonna have to punish Roo for being so obnoxious, so I'm gonna have my nieces put on all heir build-a-bear clothes on Roo today. \

I'll post pics later. I need coffee.

Edit: Chicken humiliation time!

Roostroyer

Turkey

Tissue

Megatron

Godzilla

Rusty

Flake aka Baba

Dust

Chido fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 8, 2012

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

LOL! Love Turkey's outfit with belt! The correct accessories are so important! I see that Roostroyer has spats (made of some type of atheletic tape, I assume). Flake's "bad girl" tee shirt is great. :3:

You need to take a photo of Roo (in his tux) with at least two adoring chicken babes (in dresses). Like a James Bond movie poster.

Also, requesting Roostroyer in that hot pink plaid number.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

AHA HA HA HA CHIDO! Love those photos! THANK YOU for sharing. Roo looks so dapper in his tux. Tell him girls need their beauty sleep in the morning! Hope your eye is doing well!

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Note: we tried to put the black/pink hello kitty dress on Roo, he freaked out so much he ran away and was sounding the alarm and hiding behind the shed. I didn't know what was wrong with him and why he was so agitated this morning, until we tried the tux, then his princess dress... then grabbed the black dress again. He hates that dress.

Also the bandages in his feet are for his recurrent bumblefoot. It's almost healed in both feet an there's no abscess in either one, but I'm keeping the bandages on until there's no scabbing left at all. The claw he ripped off is finally growing back, but it's growing upwards in a weird shape. I'll wait and see hos it keeps growing and see if I can trim it.

I've also collected quite a nmumber of Roo's hackle feathers in case anybody wants them. Most of the chickens are molting right now, but the hens have been losing mostly tail and wing feathers.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I have collected a ton of feathers off my chickens the past couple of days, I never realised how many they lose!

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Chido posted:

Roostroyer

I love that you have to hold all of the other chickens for the picture, but Roo just stands there. He knows how good he looks. Quite the dapper gentleman.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

VS - I just read the twitter feed, so sorry about Peepsquire. This has not been a good week. Hugs to you and your family. :sympathy:

Vaga42Bond
Apr 10, 2009

Die Essensrationen wurden verdoppelt!
Die Anzahl der Torpedos wurde verdoppelt!

piscesbobbie posted:

VS - I just read the twitter feed, so sorry about Peepsquire. This has not been a good week. Hugs to you and your family. :sympathy:

Peepsquire? The Dapperest (Non-Clothing) Hen? :ohdear:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Very sorry to hear about Peepsquire, VS. :sympathy:

Peeps and Rafe are up in chicken heaven now, playing Halo and feasting on mealworms. :angel: :angel:

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Vaga42Bond posted:

Peepsquire? The Dapperest (Non-Clothing) Hen? :ohdear:

Remember the 'squire and her big girl panties! She was awesome and quite the artist! RIP Peepsquire. Because of her I laughed so hard I ended up with two compression fractures! Because of Peepsquire I became addicted to Chickam2008 and my love of chickens that I have now!

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

:sympathy: I'm so sorry Velvet :(

kirrus
Feb 17, 2011

At long last. Volume Two!

Nettle Soup posted:

I have collected a ton of feathers off my chickens the past couple of days, I never realised how many they lose!

What do you do with them, just throw them out?

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

kirrus posted:

What do you do with them, just throw them out?

People buy chicken feathers to make jewelery, fishing things, etc. You can check it out on ebay!

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

What do you suppose has her attention?

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

MisterOblivious posted:

What do you suppose has her attention?

All chickens do this, it has to do with keeping their equilibrium.

Yeah, even though she had recovered from her bout with Cocci, was eating, drinking and carrying on normally, yesterday evening we found Peepsquire dead in one of the nest boxes. :(

I think she had just been too weakened, had lost too much weight and her heart just gave out, poor baby. We put her next to Rafe.

This has been a really lovely week.

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

Velvet Sparrow posted:

All chickens do this, it has to do with keeping their equilibrium.

Yeah, even though she had recovered from her bout with Cocci, was eating, drinking and carrying on normally, yesterday evening we found Peepsquire dead in one of the nest boxes. :(

I think she had just been too weakened, had lost too much weight and her heart just gave out, poor baby. We put her next to Rafe.

This has been a really lovely week.

:(

Peepsquire was a favorite of mine. How is the rest of the flock/gang taking it?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Mum's decided that when a chicken gets sick, it's like they've stepped onto a down escalator, and nothing you can do will get them off it. You can prolong the ride but eventually they reach the bottom and die...

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Nettle Soup posted:

Mum's decided that when a chicken gets sick, it's like they've stepped onto a down escalator, and nothing you can do will get them off it. You can prolong the ride but eventually they reach the bottom and die...

awww Nettle Soup, that is such a sad saying and appears to be true. How are your chickens doing? Are both flocks integrated and how is that lavender leghorn? Picture, pretty please? That adorable Flora?

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

They're all in together, still having to take Floras group off the roof at night and put them inside, but the small group have been going in on their own.

Fish has some sort of tear on his leg/thigh, but it's healing on it's own, no blood, just like the skin split... It doesn't seem to be bothering him or slowing him down at all, he's not even limping, so we've put some wound powder on it and left it to heal on it's own. Been checking it every day.

Pretty sure our boys are Abacus, Eros, Ruth and Fish, which is kind of a bitch really. I really like Ruth... Abacus and Fish may have to go. Anyone in the North West UK want a couple of pure breed Ancona roosters?

Oh and I think somebody may have laid an egg yesterday, either Conquest or Flora.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Aw nooo. So young too. Sorry to hear that VS. :(

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I swear, I love both this and the house rabbit thread, but I always kind of dread finding sad news. :( I'm sorry about Peepsquire VS.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

CHIDO Is Flake the hen with the floppy comb! I love that floppy comb, so adorable. Is she a white leghorn?

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chido posted:

Note: we tried to put the black/pink hello kitty dress on Roo, he freaked out so much he ran away and was sounding the alarm and hiding behind the shed. I didn't know what was wrong with him and why he was so agitated this morning, until we tried the tux, then his princess dress... then grabbed the black dress again. He hates that dress.

Perhaps next time Roostroyer starts acting up, take that Hello Kitty dress out and show it to him. That should shut him up. :)

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

piscesbobbie posted:

CHIDO Is Flake the hen with the floppy comb! I love that floppy comb, so adorable. Is she a white leghorn?

Yep, she's a white leghorn and she's derpy as hell.

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
I need some names for my bantams, the black and white one is a booted bantam and the other two are Pekins (I think, although i'm not 100%).

Had them for a few weeks now and they seem to be pretty happy together.

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

RAIKIRI - Such CUTE peeps! Thank you for sharing the pictures! :dance: Do you know if they are all hens?

Raikiri
Nov 3, 2008
I think so, still not 100% on the chick but it appears to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo
Good news from my city last night: Backyard Chicken Ordinance should be finalized in the next 30 days or so. $50 per year for 5 hens is really steep ($20 per dog every 2 years) so hopefully they'll adjust that figure downwards. The $50 figure is the same as a pigeon license.