Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I like Zen Pinball a lot. It's the way to do non-licensed video pinball IMO. Crazy tables, slightly goofy arcade physics. The only design decision I kinda question is how hard it can be to lose a ball once you learn most tables. I'm not the greatest pinball wizard, but it's at the point where if I want to try and beat my high scores I'm looking at really long games on most tables, the kind of time commitment where I don't typically even bother if it's a weeknight.

I really wish they'd 1) add some tables to the iOS version, and 2) port some of the PS3 tables to Xbox. I'm not sure what kind of exclusivity deals they signed but I've kinda given up hope on ever getting them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Starhawk posted:

The Pinball Cafe just reported on their Facebook page that they now have a Medieval Madness table! Now to just find a reason to drive to Toronto...

I was there last night and I was talking with the owner. He's going to be getting it on Monday or tuesday!

Pinball Cafe has a really good lineup right now. They just got X-Men and there is also Diner, Party Zone, Tales From the Crypt and BAAAAAD CATS. They also have NBA but it's really bad.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Sizone posted:

like Iron Man the most.

You like Iron Man? :stare:

Maybe I really suck at it, but I found it insanely frustrating. It's nothing but ramps, are annoying as poo poo to hit, and even after playing for a while I feel like I get nothing done. Could be something about the table I'm missing though. I haven't played it all that much because I just got too frustrated/bored to keep trying it.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
While playing Plants vs. Zombies, I realized for the first time that you can exit in the middle of a game and then resume it later. Has it always been like this in Pinball FX2, or does it vary on a table-by-table basis? Can you only save a state for one table at a time?

In any case this is a great feature, and it'll make an overly-forgiving table like PvZ more bearable now that I know I won't have to do a full game in one sitting.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Breaking a pinball trance sounds like a good way to load up a save and lose all your balls asap.

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

Discount Viscount posted:

On the PS3 at least, it seems you can copy your save to another account (or maybe even a USB stick/memory card), then copy it back after you've re-earned the goals on the tables on which you need to get trophies. I say "seems" because I haven't gotten to the copying it back part yet, and don't know how smoothly that will go, but I'd expect it to work just fine.

It saves some trouble, at least. I did it today and earned the three trophies on Bride of Pinbot.

The solution I'd like to see is a switch in each table menu to initialize goal status, even if it wiped out the ability to turn tilting off. Because really who the gently caress turns tilting. The high score trophies aren't really too much of a bother because unless you're #1 on the leaderboards you should definitely be trying to top your own high scores :cool:

I read a few posts on the official forums that players were being awarded the wizard trophy for some tables whenever they'd re-accomplish one of the wizard goals. I tried it and confirmed it works on Bride Of Pinbot and Funhouse. I haven't been able to get it to work on Cirqus Voltaire, even though I've done more than one of the wizard goals again during various games. I'm not sure why it won't trigger on CV, since it did on the other tables.

I then did the trick with saving my old game file on a flash drive and then creating a new save in order to get the trophies for the standard goals on each table, since there was evidently no other way to accomplish that. I'm not sure why they couldn't have programmed something similar to what happened with wizard goals, so that re-accomplishing any standard goal would trigger the trophy. Or a trigger that understood that if you were hitting any wizard goals, you obviously already had done all the standard goals. Regardless, the implementation is just sloppy.

Playing on the new save also helped me get the trophies for scoring in the top 5 on each table, since I had set the bar too high on some tables to be able to get that without a lot of trouble.

I still haven't been able to win the Battle For The Kingdom on Medieval Madness to get the wizard goals trophy for that table. Troll bombs still don't work for me, so that final bit of having to hit the castle over and over - with the trolls always in the way - is just sadistic. :(

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Minidust posted:

While playing Plants vs. Zombies, I realized for the first time that you can exit in the middle of a game and then resume it later. Has it always been like this in Pinball FX2, or does it vary on a table-by-table basis? Can you only save a state for one table at a time?

You can do this in Pinball FX 2. I remember this because I was gonna give up a marvellous game of "Secrets of the Deep" I had going to go pickup a friend and play some football. Got back and drained the last ball for a few thousand in my 12 million score.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Dre2Dee2 posted:

You like Iron Man? :stare:

Maybe I really suck at it, but I found it insanely frustrating. It's nothing but ramps, are annoying as poo poo to hit, and even after playing for a while I feel like I get nothing done. Could be something about the table I'm missing though. I haven't played it all that much because I just got too frustrated/bored to keep trying it.

Yup, one of the few PFX tables I've activated the wizard mode on (though I haven't cleared it). It's pretty straightforward, hit the 3 targets in front of the hole in the middle, get the ball in the hole, start a mission. That and hitting every ramp and orbit x number of times. The only thing you really need to know is that the far right ramp (Tony Stark's boozin', inappropriate sexual conduct with his secretary PARTY ramp)is way easier to hit with the -right- flipper than it is with the left. Same thing with the far left ramp (Stark's sellin' weapons to world millitaries to oppress the brown and the poor STARK TOWER ramp), it's easier to hit with the left flipper than it is with the right.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.
Gorgar is just an incredible table. So simple yet so much fun. My uncle had one in his basement when I was growing up so I have incredible nostalgia with it. I recognize MM is a better overall and more fun table, but Gorgor is my #1. First table I've bought twice (PS3 + iOS).

Also, if you ever get tired of the Gorgar sounds, listen to AC/DC Live at Donington while playing. It's awesome.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
The poor implementation of nudging in the Android version constantly makes me sad. There are plenty of times where the ball slooooowly starts going into the outlane and the knowledge that even with that large amount of time I could still never be fast and accurate enough to nudge it back into play is a huge bummer.
Also, even though I hardly ever lose balls down the center in Harley anyway, the button for the post is really small on my tablet. In fact, a great amount of my balls losses on the Harley table seem to be from the speed pops shooting the ball at light speed into the right outlane. Really wish I could just plug my logitech controller into my tablet and play like that.

On a positive note, I really goddamn love Creature from the Black Lagoon's MOVE YOUR CAR objective. Everything about it.

Red Minjo fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 7, 2012

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

I have the same problem with iPad. Half the time it does nothing, the other team it makes the table flip the gently caress out. Using the PS3 stick is way more accurate/useful from what I've played.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Did something change in the physics for Funhouse in Pinball Arcade on the Vita? I just played two games and Rudy spit 4 balls out straight into a drain out the left lane. I've never had this happen before and I just lost 2/3rds of my balls from it :wtc:

edit--> On another note, scored 2 billion + in BoPB :smuggo:

Boinks fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Sep 8, 2012

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.
TPA PS3 patched and now my flippers only map to R1/L1 regardless of what setting it tells me it's on.

Farsight slow the gently caress down and fix your poo poo correctly. You are making it incredibly hard to give you more money.

KamikazeJim
Sep 15, 2006

oh fuck are you seeing this bomb man. ARE YOU SEEING THIS?
Also make sure you're running at 1080 resolution or you won't see any tables besides the four original ones, so says Farsight.

The Pinball Arcade on Facebook posted:

We need to let everyone know that a major problem has been discovered in the Pinball Arcade PlayStation3 update that was released in North America today. If your PS3 is set to the 480 or 720 display modes only the original four tables are visible in the table menu. The temporary solution is to use the 1080 display mode if you can. We will be submitting a new patch to Sony on Monday that fixes this problem and we hope to have it deployed within a week or so. This is the second PS3 patch in a row that shipped with a major problem- we want to let you know that this is NOT acceptable to us, and that we will be making immediate changes to our testing and submission procedures to make sure this does not occur again, on any platform. In the meantime please accept our sincere apologies. Within the next several months we will be adding the ability to purchase custom virtual pinballs for use in the game. We will offer all of our PS3 customers a free custom ball as a small token of apology for the inconvenience we've caused you. Thanks for sticking with us, and thanks again for your support of the Pinball Arcade."

On the other hand, PS3 players some cosmetic DLC for free as an apology for their completely broke-rear end version of the game.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Seriously, whoever is loving testing their new patches needs to get poo poo slammed. They are totally loving up the QC of EVERY. drat. PATCH.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Seriously, whoever is loving testing their new patches needs to get poo poo slammed. They are totally loving up the QC of EVERY. drat. PATCH.

If Farsight is as small as people make them out to be, perhaps the QC manager has other jobs to do too. Not that this would excuse going backwards with a product. It seems like they make the rookie business mistake of expanding too quickly.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The new update sent out to Star Trek Kickstarter backers dropped a nice surprise: Scared Stiff and Elvira and the Party Monsters are both licensed and coming to Pinball Arcade! No Kickstarter needed!

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

KamikazeJim posted:

Also make sure you're running at 1080 resolution or you won't see any tables besides the four original ones, so says Farsight.

On the other hand, PS3 players some cosmetic DLC for free as an apology for their completely broke-rear end version of the game.

How the hell does this even happen.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

The Kins posted:

The new update sent out to Star Trek Kickstarter backers dropped a nice surprise: Scared Stiff and Elvira and the Party Monsters are both licensed and coming to Pinball Arcade! No Kickstarter needed!
Also, Star Trek TNG met its goal! So stoked. Awww Farsight, c'mere :glomp:

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

The Kins posted:

Yay!!! I love Scared Stiff!

Avril Lavigne
May 29, 2006

The Kins posted:

Scared Stiff and Elvira and the Party Monsters are both licensed and coming to Pinball Arcade! No Kickstarter needed!

It's not very often I literally squeal with delight, but this is one of those times. This is what I've been waiting for since Pinball Arcade was first announced!

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Will they have a toggle for the modesty sticker in the options? This is important.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

The Kins posted:

YESS! That's loving awesome! :stare:

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Yay boobie pinball!

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

reflex posted:

Gorgar is just an incredible table. So simple yet so much fun. My uncle had one in his basement when I was growing up so I have incredible nostalgia with it. I recognize MM is a better overall and more fun table, but Gorgor is my #1. First table I've bought twice (PS3 + iOS).

Also, if you ever get tired of the Gorgar sounds, listen to AC/DC Live at Donington while playing. It's awesome.

I'd just like to note that clearly the correct music to listen to while playing Gorgar is
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyZ3pgABwss

:colbert:

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

The Kins posted:

Awwww, that just made me STIIIIIIIIIIIFFFF!

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Pro Pinball Kickstarter update:

We are now giving away the original edition of Big Race USA :siren:for free:siren:. Also, if you give us $2 you can have Timeshock and Fantastic Journey if when we hit our goal.

Tell your friends!

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Wolfsbane posted:

if when we hit our goal.

I'm not going to place any :toxx: bets here or anything, but I will be loving astounded if they raise $400,000 for this project. While Pat Lawlor's a golden god to us, he's hardly a household name. And FarSight barely scraped together a fifth of this total for Star Track and THE TWILIGHT loving ZONE. The whole thing just seems suspicious at best. How could they even need that kind of cash for this project anyway? It's remaking four tables they own all the assets and licenses for and then paying a guy from a hobby that barely exists anymore to do what he is already an expert at doing.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Even if they don't make it I think they're still going through with it, the 400k is just to help develop for other platforms.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

I just find out that Stern released an X-Men pinball machine. WANT NOW, WANT BADLY

My house doesn't have a machine anymore, but did at one point have a Jack-bot and Addams Family. I need that machine, as well as the LOTR machine.

Tasteful Bulge
Sep 5, 2003

It's down to you and me, you one-eyed freak.
Kindle update hit yesterday. I used to love Taxi, and it was one of the tables I cut my teeth on, so to speak, but it's been ages since I played it last. I still love it. Of course, there's bugs, like the spinout doesn't work right and the Santa passenger sometimes registers as Gorby. It's still fun to play, though. I'll like it better on Xbox, I think. I had forgotten about the loud bell the game used, though. I hit the 1 million target and almost threw my tablet when the bell went off.

I do wish FarSight would get around to fixing the flippers, though. It still feels like there is no rubber on the drat things. Not an ounce of friction.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Black Knight has a bell too, I forgot when it goes off but knowing how stupidly easy the table is you'll hear it several times.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Gorgar has sound issues on PS3, I think. It seems like the voice clips and sometimes the heartbeat just stop playing until you drain to the next ball.

Zip
Mar 19, 2006

i think ps3 is the worst version...
well I dont know about the kindle version but out of ipad, iphone, xbox and vita, I dislike the ps3 versions the most.

The flippers dont feel right. I think the xbox version is the best and if you can get past the REALLY lovely GRAPHICS on totan (seriously gently caress you white blob on left of screen) the vita version plays pretty well.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Zip posted:

i think ps3 is the worst version...
well I dont know about the kindle version but out of ipad, iphone, xbox and vita, I dislike the ps3 versions the most.

The flippers dont feel right. I think the xbox version is the best and if you can get past the REALLY lovely GRAPHICS on totan (seriously gently caress you white blob on left of screen) the vita version plays pretty well.

Dunno I love the ps3 version. Maybe you have the delay bug that affects certain tv setups for reasons they still haven't figured out yet? It seems pretty much perfect to me though.

Mr. Met
Jan 14, 2008

Personally I preferred the mixed nuts caper!
Maybe I screwed up the camera settings somehow but playing Funhouse on PHOF, the camera would would move over to the left when you were shooting the ball out of the steps, and it would zoom in on the upper portion of the playfield when you had a ball up there. Now, on TPA, it doesn't do that anymore, and it's a lot harder to hit the trapdoor as a result. Anyone know how to fix this?

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!
So if Theater of Magic is my favorite of the initial 4 PA tables with Ripley's being my least favorite. Would I be happier picking up the Gorgar/Monster Bash pack or the BOPB/Mideval Madness pack for more tables?

edit: VV Individual Table Purchases are available on Xbox? VV

CatelynIsAZombie fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 12, 2012

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

I would say get Gorgar/Monster Bash and get Medieval Madness on it's own. BoPB is not a bad table, there's just not much to do.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Pan Ache posted:

So if Theater of Magic is my favorite of the initial 4 PA tables with Ripley's being my least favorite. Would I be happier picking up the Gorgar/Monster Bash pack or the BOPB/Mideval Madness pack for more tables?

edit: VV Individual Table Purchases are available on Xbox? VV

Bride is all style no substance, Medieval Madness is an excellent table. Monster Bash is a bit too quirky for my tastes and Gorgar is a very good extremely simple early solid state table (as in it has no ramps, no multiball, no modes, nothing).

If I had to decide between the packs I'd get the Bride/MM pack because while bride is almost useless for gameplay it has oodles of style, and MM is overall probably the best of the four tables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Medieval Madness is really on the cusp between too complex to follow and not enough going on to hold interest. Perfect sweet spot.

Mr. Met posted:

Maybe I screwed up the camera settings somehow but playing Funhouse on PHOF, the camera would would move over to the left when you were shooting the ball out of the steps, and it would zoom in on the upper portion of the playfield when you had a ball up there. Now, on TPA, it doesn't do that anymore, and it's a lot harder to hit the trapdoor as a result. Anyone know how to fix this?

They changed the camera a bit from PHoF and this is my biggest complaint with it :( I think your best bet is to use camera view 3, which is as overhead on the table as you can get, and make sure you're in unlocked mode (toggled with square on PS3.)

I had the camera glitch out on Funhouse yesterday after shooting the ball up the steps, it stayed in the way zoomed out view. That was fun.