Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Nope! Not if it means getting out of 2nd and 3rd shift in this hospital basement.
And the local place I'm interning for pays assistant brewers $10 an hour, not sure about the other local places, but as long as I can pay rent and buy my textbooks...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

RiggenBlaque posted:

I'm not trying to come across as a dick, but I'm actually really interested in knowing - to people who are looking for jobs in the brewing industry, what do you currently do? I can only imagine looking for a brewery related job if I absolutely despised what I do now, as it would entail an absolutely massive pay cut, and I don't even make what I consider a higher-end salary.

I work for a big park welding, building trails, fixing things, etc. It's actually a good job, but it's perpetually seasonal and not good pay. I should have been full time by now, but things are changing due to a change in management.

I actually like my job quite a bit, but I also like brewery work quite a bit. It really, really does take the right kind of person. This is coming from someone with a decent opportunity to be a full time public employee with good benefits and decent pay, public retirement, etc.

Nanpa
Apr 24, 2007
Nap Ghost
Okay, so I've had my first kit brew sitting in the primary and will be ready (hopefully) to be bottled soon. In the mean time, I've been to the homebrew store and picked up some malt/extract to do a simple British Brown/Dark Ale. I was wondering if anyone could have a look at what my planned process is and see if I'm going to do anything wrong:

Ingredients:
*3kg Golden Light Dried Malt Extract, 0.3kg Crystal Malt, 0.1kg Chocolate Malt, 0.1kg Wheat Malt
*20g Horizon Hops, 40g Goldings hops
*1 packet of Windsor yeast
Planning to brew ~23L

Since I only have a ~11L pot, my plan is to steep the grains at 65-75C in 5L of water in the pot for half an hour, then top up to around 10L, start boiling and add the extract. Then I'll put the Horizons in at the start, half the Goldings in with five minutes of boil left, and then the rest of the Goldings once the boil has stopped. I'll then try to cool the wort in the sink and chuck in some (preboiled) blocks of ice, and then top up to 23L in the fermenter, and then pitch the yeast.

Am I going to be able to get away with this, or will I need to scale back/get another pot? My first brew was just a can of premix with instructions to just mix in with some included sugar and fill up appropriately with water/boiling water.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Ubik posted:

If I'm bringing beer to a Chicago Beer Society event or something, though, I use an Avery template to print paper labels to stick on there. They don't look bad, but they don't last long if you put them in a tub of ice.

Any chance you could go into more detail, as to the process and specifics? Those labels look amazing.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Yeah, I'm looking for labels that come off when the bottle's cleaned but don't fall off by themselves three minutes out of the fridge... I guess everyone probably is. :v:

e: To the guy asking what people are labeling with, we put a strip of masking tape on our bottles and write the relevant info on that. I find caps are too small to write what I want and can be wiped off accidentally if they get wet. I haven't found out yet how survivable in an ice bucket this method is, but probably not great.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Sep 6, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I imagine a paint pen or a silver sharpee would work fine. Using something stronger like acetone would probably wipe the bottle clean afterwards too.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Manky posted:

Any chance you could go into more detail, as to the process and specifics? Those labels look amazing.

Looking back into it, I think they're Avery 5164 labels, which are about 3.33"x4". MS Word and Open Office will both have it in their templates. Then you can fill them in with whatever images/text you want to use. I had a friend of mine come up with the logo (he used my homebrew "brand" as part of a design project), and then filled the rest of the text myself. I got the spacing effect on the OG/SRM/etc. specs by drawing new tables inside the label cells. If you like, I can send you a blank template for what I did.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Wait, they're actual Avery labels? How on earth do you remove them? That gum won't come off for love or money for me. I thought you were talking about a beer-specific product that was the same size as the Avery templates.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Ubik posted:

Looking back into it, I think they're Avery 5164 labels, which are about 3.33"x4". MS Word and Open Office will both have it in their templates. Then you can fill them in with whatever images/text you want to use. I had a friend of mine come up with the logo (he used my homebrew "brand" as part of a design project), and then filled the rest of the text myself. I got the spacing effect on the OG/SRM/etc. specs by drawing new tables inside the label cells. If you like, I can send you a blank template for what I did.

Thank you, that would be terrific! Sorry, just one more question: what method did you use to paste them on? Oh they're adhesive labels, duh

e: I guess I should also add, my email address is dougie@gmail.com

Manky fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Sep 6, 2012

Blistering Sunburn
Aug 2, 2005

Splizwarf posted:

Wait, they're actual Avery labels? How on earth do you remove them? That gum won't come off for love or money for me. I thought you were talking about a beer-specific product that was the same size as the Avery templates.

We have a couple of 1L bottles from our first batch a few months ago that STILL have Avery backing stuck to them after three or four trips through detergent/Oxyclean. Would love to hear a solution if it's out there.

(They do look cool before they get wet though)

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
Another option, possibly maybe, is GrogTags, but I don't know if they're good or not v:shobon:v

For my first batch I just used a Brother Labeler to print the name on 1/2" tape which I then stuck to the bottle caps. Again, I haven't put them in a cooler full of ice+water, so I don't know how well they'll hold up long-term. (So far, so good in the refrigerator, though.)

Whoever mentioned printing on vinyl reminded me that I know someone who prints arcade machine sideart on vinyl with a nice plotter, so I might quickly design something and have him run me a batch.

Zakath
Mar 22, 2001

Docjowles posted:

Yeah sorry to dogpile but 2lbs of crystal is a looooot in a 5 gallon batch unless you explicitly want it to finish super rich and sweet. Especially paired with already flavorful base malts like Munich and Vienna. If you must, mash that at like 147*.

Interesting hop schedule but it should work ok, it's not like you're throwing Citra or Sorachi Ace or something totally out of left field in there.
Thanks for the advice, I've really dialed back the crystal and added 2 lbs of marris otter instead. The hop schedule is a bunch of odds and ends I've been accumulating in my freezer, and unfortunately doesn't really match the couple of beers I'm planning on brewing in the next few months.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

nmfree posted:

Another option, possibly maybe, is GrogTags, but I don't know if they're good or not v:shobon:v

Those look great! Their website is unusably horrible! Why is it choking so bad?!

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
Got my starter kit and beer ingredients from nb tonight, without the priming sugar. :argh: :argh:

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

LaserWash posted:

Got my starter kit and beer ingredients from nb tonight, without the priming sugar. :argh: :argh:

Just use regular sugar, it doesn't make a difference (look up the amount to use, don't just use 3/4 cup)

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

LaserWash posted:

Well you won't need it for like a month anyway. Also regular sugar will work fine too.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

RiggenBlaque posted:

Just use regular sugar, it doesn't make a difference (look up the amount to use, don't just use 3/4 cup)

How much for a 5 gallon batch? I think out of principle I'm going to bug them for my sugar tomorrow.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

That depends on the type of beer you're making. What's the kit?

Actually might as well just use one of these since that's all I will do with the information.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
It's the caribou slobber kit, a brown ale kit.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Here's the output of the second calculator I listed using 70*F for the current temp of the beer at pitching time. Northern Brewer says that an American brown ale should be at 2.4 volumes of CO2.

code:
Sugar				Grams	Oz 	Cups
Corn Sugar			119.99 	4.23 	0.60
Sucrose				109.19 	3.85 	0.53
Turbinado			109.19 	3.85 	0.53
Demarara			109.19 	3.85 	0.53
Dextrose			119.99 	4.23 	0.60
Corn Syrup (Dark and Light)	158.98 	5.61 	0.49
Brown Sugar			122.99 	4.34 	0.53
Molasses			152.98 	5.40 	0.48
Maple Syrup			140.98 	4.97 	0.44
Sorghum Syrup			158.98 	5.61 	0.50
Honey				146.98 	5.18 	0.43
DME – All varieties		159.88 	5.64 	0.97
DME – Laaglander		218.97 	7.72 	1.33
Belgian Candy Syrup		172.48 	6.08 	0.54
Belgian Soft Candy Sugar - all	145.48 	5.13 	0.63
Invert Sugar syrup – all	119.99 	4.23 	0.37
Black Treacle			125.98 	4.44 	0.39
Rice Solids			137.98 	4.87 	0.63

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
A really important thing to keep in mind is to base it on your actual final volume of beer that made it in to the bottling bucket. My first batch came out super overcarbonated because I only had about 4 gallons in the bottling bucket due to wort loss from trub and yeast. I still used the recommended volume for 5 gallons and it was completely undrinkable.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What do you guys use to make your labels?

These and a ball-point pen (or a printer if you want to get fancy). Stick them to the cap and there is no label to clean off after.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What do you guys use to make your labels?

Blue painters tape.

Full wrap so it's touching itself on the other side and a black sharpie and tadaa, comes off easily but sticks perfectly.

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

Midorka posted:

To become a professional brewer.

I think if your going to 'teach' a course on pro-brewing you should get the local SSA or whatever involved, or something.

I love the idea of being a pro-brewer, I do, but I think the fact that everyone is missing is that it is a business. And sure, you can brew some killer beers, and have been doing so for x amount of time - but can you run a business? At first when I hear about breweries that are "marketing" and "daddy's little investment" - it grinds my gears like no other. Those bastards elbowing into the market and taking up space where passionate people should take their place. But those places also aren't stupid. They hire passionate people who know what they are doing - they have homebrew outreach events (Finch's does this) - they are SUPER dedicated to the local economy (Baxter does this) - they are "green" (both breweries do this).

And yes business fail all the time, but I'd not foster misguided hope for some basement neck-beard who goes and saves all his pennies to then loose it thinking all he has to do is brew the perfect pint. That may come off as convoluted and/or overwrought with inaccurate stereotypes - but the message is still there: try and ground people in the fact that it [i]is[/] still a business.

e:

quote:

label chat
I, too, use the .75 stickers for caps. I've also used them to hold a strip of paper with a "label" on too - there is always that option if/when you buy them.

Jacobey000 fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Sep 7, 2012

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

Jacobey000 posted:

I love the idea of being a pro-brewer, I do, but I think the fact that everyone is missing is that it is a business.

The fact that it's a business is exactly why I am not interested in being a professional brewer.

Rant snipped, but suffice it to say that I don't want the financial burdens of running a business to impinge on my enjoyment of the process and the product.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
What's my best bet for bang-for-buck for propane burners? Bonus points if it's locally available. Time to step up out of the kitchen (and into one pot for my wort boils :dance:).

e: If there's a two-burner stand option available for $100 or less that'd be very preferable. Must be able to seat two decent size pots or a pot and a converted keg side by side.

For some background, one of the other people in our household is springing for NB's 10-gallon Megapot with the valve and thermometer and NB's $82 low-profile propane burner (the 210,000 BTU one). I'm just checking to see if there's anything better / more recommended / if you'll yell at us for paying way too much. If there's something way better around for a little more I'll throw some of my own money at it too.

I do wish NB's Megapot had a sight glass on it like the MoreBeer ones but MoreBeer doesn't make a 10 gallon pot, only 8 and 15+ (and they're in California so shipping is expensive and takes 5-6 days).

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 7, 2012

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Splizwarf posted:

What's my best bet for bang-for-buck for propane burners? Bonus points if it's locally available. Time to step up out of the kitchen (and into one pot for my wort boils :dance:).

e: If there's a two-burner stand option available for $100 or less that'd be very preferable. Must be able to seat two decent size pots or a pot and a converted keg side by side.

Deep turkey fryers work really well. I got one from Lowes for $50 that included a massive pot (it was on sale). If I had to start all over again I would buy this one.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Deep turkey fryers work really well. I got one from Lowes for $50 that included a massive pot (it was on sale). If I had to start all over again I would buy this one.

Yeah, I got the KAB6 and it's total overkill. The KAB6 would probably work on 15 gallon batches, and I only do 5 and have no interest in ever moving up to 10G batches even.

The one that you linked is really popular from what I can tell, although people bitch about the regulator a lot; I have no real clue what the difference is.

I will say that I liked the fact that the KAB6 came assembled instead of in pieces. The downside is that I think the legs are not all of even length so it wobbles a little bit, which isn't really acceptable for a 100 dollar burner. It's not really a big deal, just kind of disappointing.

Bayou Classic has ridiculous customer service too. I called them up based on the C/S number I got because my hose guard broke and some guy in Louisiana answered the phone. When I asked him for a new hose guard, he said he'd have to "go check in the back." He was actually sitting in some office in the factory. He then asked for my address and sent me it through FedEx. He never asked where I got the burner or how old it was.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 7, 2012

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Vaguely related to the labeling topic, these magnetic dry-erase strips popped up on Homebrew Finds today. Seems like a great option for kegerator labeling. Not as fancy as something like a chalkboard tap handle but they're also $10 for a 25-pack as opposed to like $40 each :)

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
Gotta be honest, I've talked myself into the Blichmann burner for stability reasons... and then talked myself right back out of it because I need it in a week. :(

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Be careful of turkey pots. Many of them are pure aluminum.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

BDawg posted:

Be careful of turkey pots. Many of them are pure aluminum.

And?

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Pure aluminum gives you aids, duh. What the hell do you think the "a" stands for?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Alcohol?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
What's a good thermometer to measure mash temps? I was looking at the Blichman one, but I didn't know if there was better. I will be holding it in my hand and dipping it in to measure, if that matters.

Also what should I use as a PH buffer for my mash water?

Edit: Also should I order some malt extract for making yeast starters?

Midorka fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Sep 7, 2012

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
I'm brewing for the first time on Sunday with the brinkmann turkey fryer that hb finds had on amazon for 60 bucks, shipped. It comes with the burner, lid, a 12 inch (!!!) thermometer, lid and 7.5 gallon aluminum pot. I guess you can fry a turkey in it to, if you have that kind of thing going on.

I've already burned off some water for 30 minutes, turning the inside of the pot darker, so my beer doesn't give me aids.

They also have them at home depot for the same price if you check online.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Midorka posted:

What's a good thermometer to measure mash temps? I was looking at the Blichman one, but I didn't know if there was better. I will be holding it in my hand and dipping it in to measure, if that matters.

Also what should I use as a PH buffer for my mash water?

Edit: Also should I order some malt extract for making yeast starters?

We had a pretty long conversation on mash thermometers about two pages back which had a few varying opinions on which works best.

The only pH buffer I have ever heard recommended is Five Star's 5.2 Mash Stabilizer.

You can just buy a pound of DME at the brewstore or order some, yes. You don't want to use sugar and there's no point in making an all-grain wort for a yeast starter that will be unhopped and oxidized anyways (I always decant the starter beer).

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 7, 2012

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

The stories about off flavors or Alzheimer's or what have you aren't true, but as I understand there are a couple extra concerns with aluminum. First, you need to pre-cook the pot to form an oxide layer when you first get it and if anything cleans the layer off (for example if you scour it out after scorching the bottom.) Second, you can't use more caustic or oxygen-based cleaners on it, so no oxi-clean soaks or anything. Other than that it's light, cheap, and conducts heat well. So even if aluminum isn't bad, it's still good to know exactly what material you're using since it does affect your procedure.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Killer robot posted:

The stories about off flavors or Alzheimer's or what have you aren't true, but as I understand there are a couple extra concerns with aluminum. First, you need to pre-cook the pot to form an oxide layer when you first get it and if anything cleans the layer off (for example if you scour it out after scorching the bottom.) Second, you can't use more caustic or oxygen-based cleaners on it, so no oxi-clean soaks or anything. Other than that it's light, cheap, and conducts heat well. So even if aluminum isn't bad, it's still good to know exactly what material you're using since it does affect your procedure.
The oxide layer on Aluminum occurs naturally through exposure to air. Even assuming you scrubbed it off, it would just immediately come back. You don't actually have to do something special to make it come back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Angry Grimace posted:

We had a pretty long conversation on mash thermometers about two pages back which had a few varying opinions on which works best.

The only pH buffer I have ever heard recommended is Five Star's 5.2 Mash Stabilizer.

You can just buy a pound of DME at the brewstore or order some, yes. You don't want to use sugar and there's no point in making an all-grain wort for a yeast starter that will be unhopped and oxidized anyways (I always decant the starter beer).

Seems the thermopen is highly recommended, but $90 is a bit to throw down on it for now. Would the Brewmometer be sufficient for mashing temps though? I want something sturdy and good quality and I've heard good things about Blichmann. Would the stem be long enough?