Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Invite please :)

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197969478448

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ephori
Sep 1, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
http://steamcommunity.com/id/ephori

I'll take any invite too.

Honestly, I think the DLC alone for Borderlands is evidence enough that these guys figured out what worked and what didn't. It got progressively better all the way along. Really my only concern left at this point is how good everything else is. It's pretty obvious the mechanics have been polished to an absurd degree, hopefully the writing and humour and voice acting are up to the same level.

Delaio
Jul 14, 2012

I'd like an invite as well, please.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197999904051

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
$36 to purchase BL2 on GMG and my paypal only has $27 :negative:

invite me please:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/lazors/

Dubstep Jesus fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Sep 7, 2012

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

God I checked this thread at the right time. I had a clock that ticked down to like 5 minutes to complete order but I got it pre-ordered for 36 bucks =D

http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheSpiritFox invite me please btw

TheSpiritFox fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Sep 8, 2012

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Invite please.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/mahoshonen

EDIT: did I miss something? :suicide:

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Rather than turn this thread into invite begging, just go into the group chat room and ask for one in there. I'll idle in it and invite any guests when I can.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Lblitzer posted:

Rather than turn this thread into invite begging, just go into the group chat room and ask for one in there. I'll idle in it and invite any guests when I can.

Confirming this works :)

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Skill trees are out, just click the character then Skill Tree.

Was going to do Axton, but his trees look (for the most part) as boring as Roland's were. Being a tank/support guy doesn't really appeal to me, so I looked at the other options. The other three look pretty fun, overall. I didn't expect to like Salvador, since dual wielding guns doesn't sound all that cool, but between Keep Firing... and the extensive support for his class ability, I think he'll be the most fun for me on release.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

Confirming this works :)

Whats the group? I can't find it and its not in the OP.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Looking for an invite if anyone's willing:
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197970583479

I think I've finally settled on Axton for my main... maybe.

Commodore Pugsley
Aug 8, 2012

TheSpiritFox posted:

Whats the group? I can't find it and its not in the OP.

Just search "Bordergoons" under the community tab.

Edit: Yup, still definitely going with Zero. The question is, how effective will his melee abilities actually be? I know I'll also be helping my son start up a dual rocket launcher Salvador, because he's a little anarchist and started giggling like a madman when I told him you could do that.

Commodore Pugsley fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Sep 8, 2012

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

So I guess I can't buy the season pass on steam if i bought the game through green man... do you think that will be a problem later? As in the season pass will go away and I'll have to pay more piecemeal?

Pandar
Oct 23, 2008

TheSpiritFox posted:

So I guess I can't buy the season pass on steam if i bought the game through green man... do you think that will be a problem later? As in the season pass will go away and I'll have to pay more piecemeal?

I too bought Borderlands 2 over GMG but I assume if you can't buy the season pass without having the key on your steam account it should all be gravy once GMG sends the key out and you activate it on steam.

Just one question: is the season pass only available before the launch?

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

TheSpiritFox posted:

Buy it as a gift and let the code sit in your inventory. Once GMG gets their codes out you can activate the season pass and everything will be alright.

I'm in no position of authority, so take what I say with as much salt as you have handy, but I doubt the pass will go away anytime soon. Even after all the DLC is out they'd still make more money if they have a slightly cheaper package deal, and they know that.

If you're really worried about it, remember that you'll probably be able to pick up the DLC for less than the season pass cost if you can hold onto your wallet until the next Steam sale.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Darke GBF posted:

Skill trees are out, just click the character then Skill Tree.

Was going to do Axton, but his trees look (for the most part) as boring as Roland's were. Being a tank/support guy doesn't really appeal to me, so I looked at the other options. The other three look pretty fun, overall. I didn't expect to like Salvador, since dual wielding guns doesn't sound all that cool, but between Keep Firing... and the extensive support for his class ability, I think he'll be the most fun for me on release.

Which is part of the reason Borderlands is awesome, the skill tree calculators demonstrated to me that I definitely want to play Axton first.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Goddamn Zer0's skilltrees just reveal a giant treasure trove of colossal damage. A ton of his abilities are just straight up "More crit damage", "Killing dudes makes you hurt other dudes better", "No really you're going to do fuckloads of damage holy poo poo". Not the most inspiring skill set but really, it doesn't have to be. Doing incredible damage is its own reward :haw:

magicalmako
Feb 13, 2005
Invite please!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/magicalmako

Pen Expers
May 3, 2006

Pillbug
Bordergoons invite please!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/pen31

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

Male Man posted:

if you can hold onto your wallet until the next Steam sale.

Heresy!

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
Invite please!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/almightypants/

Psygnosis
Jul 30, 2003
I'd like an invite to bordergoons as well.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/General_Chaos/

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Stop asking for invites in the thread, just go into the group chat and idle there and if I see any guests I'll invite them when I'm on my PC.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

In case it's not obvious how to ask in group chat:

1. Open Steam.
  2. Click the "Community" tab.
  3. In the search box in the upper right, enter "bordergoons" and then press Enter.
  4. You'll get one hit, which will have some information about membership. Click the text that reads "[n] In Group Chat" (for some integer n).
  5. You're in the chat. You should be able to work out the rest from here.

Bleusilences
Jun 23, 2004

Be careful for what you wish for.

Anybody want to play some borderland tonight?

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

I was sold on Salvador as soon as I saw Fistful of Hurt. I not only get to walk around with twin machine guns that regenerate ammo and fire faster the longer I shoot them for, but I also get to occasionally punch dudes in the crotch and send them flying? SOLD!

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007
Take the bomb to C, C Dammit!!

:dukedog:
I am so looking forward to playing as Axton. The only thing that disappoints is that I'm going to have to put points into a lot of things I don't really care for so that I can get to a few of them. (looking at you magnet turrets....)

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

I am not really sold on Axton's survival tree, to tell you the truth. Preparation is good, and Healthy is okay, but after that it feels like there is a bit of a dead zone. I think that a large part of it will depend on how good Phalanx Shield is. Going deep enough to max resourceful feels like it would really take a lot of combat power away from your character.

Metal storm was always one of the soldier's signature skills, so I feel it is going to be tough to go without some investment into the middle tree. In particular, it feels like five points in impact and five points in metal storm should be the first things you level your soldier with. The skills are early, and they have big impact right now.

Without seeing how good the turret actually is, my bet is something like this for most soldiers.

The turret is mostly just used as a longbow nuke and distraction. That feels pretty efficient for only a two point investment. Metal storm and onslaught means that you become a monster after a kill.

Of course, the downside is that you are pretty much locked into using non-elemental assault rifles with a setup like that. It is a shame that overload only applies to assault rifles now. If it turns out the turret is actually pretty punchy, I forsee a setup something like this.

You still get the benefit of impact, metal storm, and onslaught. No big overload clip, but at least we have ready for fast reloading. We lose the weapon specific skills, freeing us from nonelemental assault rifles, and pick up a lot more turret action. A long duration, rocket firing, large burst firing double cannon slag-gun (makes enemies take more damage!). Of course, if you still want assault rifles, you could move the three from battlefront into overload.

I had originally tried to mix double up with resourceful from the survival tree, but it feels like your actual character damage skills suffer too much. What soldier doesn't have metal storm?

Filthy Monkey fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Sep 9, 2012

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
From the videos I've seen, the turret looks pretty punchy, even without a massive investment. Until I'm shown otherwise, I plan on making turret-focused builds.
Unless the extra survability gained here is overkill, this is my favorite looking build so far. Having a second turret, both with higher firing bursts and rocket pods should make up for not having quite as many gun skills as another build.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
Do we know what respec costs are going to be like? In the original they were so cheap as to be inconsequential and I liked it like that!

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

No OSX version :( Oh well. I'll play it on 360 sometime.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

AlmightyPants posted:

Do we know what respec costs are going to be like? In the original they were so cheap as to be inconsequential and I liked it like that!

Considering that Gearbox have said they're put fun ahead of any sort of balance, I'm guessing they'll still be cheap.

Metrohunter posted:

From the videos I've seen, the turret looks pretty punchy, even without a massive investment. Until I'm shown otherwise, I plan on making turret-focused builds.
Unless the extra survability gained here is overkill, this is my favorite looking build so far. Having a second turret, both with higher firing bursts and rocket pods should make up for not having quite as many gun skills as another build.

That's actually pretty similar to what I ended up with:

Although I did go a little heavy on the survivability, just to be safe :tinfoil:

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Sep 9, 2012

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
e: Double Post

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
Have they stated how they are handling multiplayer? Gamespy again? Or just using steam to do it?

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm really liking the Siren class from what I'm seeing. I'm going to use Axton or Zero for my solo game but I really want to roll a siren with healing abilities and turn-something-on-its-friends phaselock. It's going to depend alot on the damage potential of phase and how many non boss enemies you can't use it on. If you can't use phase except as direct damage on anything "elite" level it's going to suck alot more.

Aenslaed
Mar 29, 2004
Nonfactor
Steamworks, difficulty averaging except in extreme differences, don't need to restart to turn it into multiplayer, quests can be reset.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.

TheSpiritFox posted:

I'm really liking the Siren class from what I'm seeing. I'm going to use Axton or Zero for my solo game but I really want to roll a siren with healing abilities and turn-something-on-its-friends phaselock. It's going to depend alot on the damage potential of phase and how many non boss enemies you can't use it on. If you can't use phase except as direct damage on anything "elite" level it's going to suck alot more.

I'm fairly certain I've seen a video of Maya Phaselocking a Badass War Loader so I assume the majority of non-boss enemies will be affected.

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

No OSX version :( Oh well. I'll play it on 360 sometime.

Just dual-boot, you turkey.

Delaio
Jul 14, 2012

Man, I just can't come to a decision on Zer0s skill tree, none of them really seem to work all that well together. I mean, one for sniping and one for melee? Seems counter intuitive. After messing around with it I'm going to try out a pistol/melee build that doesn't reach any of the bottom skills. T3 of his sniping branch (OSOK and Velocity) would be great for pistols, and if Two Fang ends up not sucking I'll have something similar to my hunter/pistol build from BL1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Delaio posted:

Man, I just can't come to a decision on Zer0s skill tree, none of them really seem to work all that well together.
Pssh, I think I know how I would play zero.

He left his sword at home.

• Locked thread