Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
I watched the whole Clint Eastwood chair video. It was nothing like Maher described. It was sad and awkward. It was incredibly sad and awkward. Anyone else watch it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Dudebro posted:

I watched the whole Clint Eastwood chair video. It was nothing like Maher described. It was sad and awkward. It was incredibly sad and awkward. Anyone else watch it?
Yes, and it was indeed sad and awkward. He kept stuttering and it was weird.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Dudebro posted:

It was sad and awkward. I did kind of chuckle at the 'Romney can't do that to himself' line.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I'm glad somebody finally called out D'souza for being the rat gently caress that he is.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
Hahaha, holy poo poo, this is only tangentially related to Real Time, but I wanted to point it out because we all hate a certain someone. Go watch The Colbert Report from September 4; Reihan Salam was the interview guest. He's one of the few guests that was interrupted by boos from the audience, in my recent memory at least. He's so far gone that he could be a character on Colbert's show, yet he's dead serious about what he's saying. It almost seems like he doesn't realize he's being used by Colbert for laughs and to point out how stupid some conservatives are. How sad. I would almost pity him if I weren't in a frenzied state of frustration induced by everything he says.

He seriously tried defending/justifying Paul Ryan's lies. Seriously.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Dudebro posted:

Hahaha, holy poo poo, this is only tangentially related to Real Time, but I wanted to point it out because we all hate a certain someone. Go watch The Colbert Report from September 4; Reihan Salam was the interview guest. He's one of the few guests that was interrupted by boos from the audience, in my recent memory at least. He's so far gone that he could be a character on Colbert's show, yet he's dead serious about what he's saying. It almost seems like he doesn't realize he's being used by Colbert for laughs and to point out how stupid some conservatives are. How sad. I would almost pity him if I weren't in a frenzied state of frustration induced by everything he says.

He seriously tried defending/justifying Paul Ryan's lies. Seriously.
This kind of thing happens every once in awhile on Colbert, and it's amazing.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Zogo posted:

Also, in that Ron Paul segment he said the "peace candidate always wins?" What happened to McGovern in 1972?

The October Surprise where Nixon was pretending to be a peace candidate as well.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

So....how is it tonight?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

ApexAftermath posted:

So....how is it tonight?

Christine O'Donnell and Bill made out at the beginning.

The lady on the panel was annoying but David Simon in the last segment made up for her.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Keyser S0ze posted:

Christine O'Donnell and Bill made out at the beginning.

The lady on the panel was annoying but David Simon in the last segment made up for her.

So O'Donnell wasn't on the panel?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
nope, just the beginning "chair" segment, she didn't come off as completely deranged and they made fun of their 1990's hair from the "PI" days.

New Rules kind of sucked, in hindsight, as well.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

There was some unintentional humor when Bill was doing the new rules talking about white/black felony/non-felony job hiring stats and that smattering of applause erupted.

Former Human posted:

The October Surprise where Nixon was pretending to be a peace candidate as well.

McGovern had no shot before that happened though anyway right?

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Oh man David Simon was hilarious in overtime. His body language screamed "oh my god Bill how could you sit me next to this crazy lady."

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
Yeah, Simon is one of those guests that you could just sit in a permanent chair and I'd be totally fine with that....Politico hack was annoyingly ineffectual with yet more of "the middle" schtick.

OT was OK, save for Christine really digging that hole deeper with a quickness that she didn't on broadcast in terms of States being the ones that granted Civil Rights for the Civil Rights eta and all kinds of crap.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Zogo posted:

McGovern had no shot before that happened though anyway right?

It was McGovern's VP candidate receiving electro-shock therapy that killed him in the election, unless that's what he meant by October surprise.

At that point, everyone was sick of Vietnam and McGovern was calling for full withdrawal, and consequently, had a lot of support, which is why he went from no-name to Democratic frontrunner (and candidate) so quickly.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Fragmented posted:

Oh man David Simon was hilarious in overtime. His body language screamed "oh my god Bill how could you sit me next to this crazy lady."

Wow, she just launched head first into "nutter" mode for OT. Good girl! :v:

az
Dec 2, 2005

I just noticed the intro when he had Biden and Affleck as guests years ago. Why can't we have nice guests anymore? Bill, you're not even picking a republican to mix it up but you get the craziest loonies that kill all proper discourse.

The Rooster
Jul 25, 2004

If you've got white people problems I feel bad for you son
I've got 99 problems but being socially privileged ain't one
Steve Schmidt seemed like a nuanced choice. Also it was awesome he had David Simon on there, but he should've talked more.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
Bill disappointed again this week by reiterating that he thought Clint Eastwood killed with his performance at the DNC. Bill should watch it again while trying not to cringe.

I thought that was a great episode. The woman on the panel kept making me think Kevin Neelon was in drag. She seriously looks like him in a creepy way.

And David Simon along with Neil Tyson should be on the show more and only as panel members so that way they can at least get the most possible face time for a guest.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

Dudebro posted:

I thought that was a great episode. The woman on the panel kept making me think Kevin Neelon was in drag. She seriously looks like him in a creepy way.

The best way to tell the difference is that Kevin Nealon is funny.

amaranthine
Aug 27, 2009
I AM A TERRIBLE HUMAN BEING

ExiledTinkerer posted:

Politico hack was annoyingly ineffectual with yet more of "the middle" schtick.

That's basically Politico's brand, and it's why everyone loving hates them except politicians and their ilk (who love them because they're the most sycophantic loving douchelords out there, and will act as stenographers for anyone that will give them attention). Gawker has done a lot of lovely pieces on how awful their "journalism" is.

Short and to the Point
Jun 3, 2000

If found please return to Durham.
Just got around to watching Overtime and just watching O'Donnell go through her mental gymnastics to criticize federal power and defend state government power as "different" was stunning.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

If there's one thing consistent about O'Donnell, it's that her positions are never consistent.

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Almost felt sorry for that republican tonight.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Was David Simon a panel member last night? I might have to suffer through the cringes if so. I love me some David Simon.

Vhy
May 12, 2001

David Simon was on last week. Last night was a couple of partisan hacks and a lady from the Economist who doesn't understand money.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Vhy posted:

David Simon was on last week. Last night was a couple of partisan hacks and a lady from the Economist who doesn't understand money.

Chris Hayes, a centrist woman from the Economist and I think Dennis Hastert's former chief of staff.

OG KUSH BLUNTS
Jan 4, 2011

Last night was the only episode since the MTV VJ lady episode where I just turned it off 5 minutes into the panel.

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
See, these sorts of somewhat more subdued panels are the ones that Bill is supposed to jostle into freaky and/or unexpected territory to get them off message---Costas and Legend were OK for what they do, but mainly it was just meh.

Still better than the idiot parade episodes, though the lady and chief of staff moreso were edging on that at times.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Frot Lesnar posted:

Chris Hayes, a centrist woman from the Economist and I think Dennis Hastert's former chief of staff.

I really hate it how The Economist always prides itself in being "centrist". There is nothing centrist about it.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Bill said something last night about this being the week that "Romney lost the election." I don't think he ever had a chance really.

Obama easily dominates Romney in total receipts and total disbursements: http://www.fec.gov/data/CandidateSummary.do?format=html&election_yr=2012

I've heard whoever leads in those categories usually wins. Although I can't find any comprehensive data on this.

Rousimar Pauladeen
Feb 27, 2007

I hate the mods I hate the mods I hate the mods! I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS! Hey wait a minute why do the mods hate me I'm contributing to the conversation I HATE THE MODS I HATE THE MODS I HA

Zogo posted:

Bill said something last night about this being the week that "Romney lost the election." I don't think he ever had a chance really.

Obama easily dominates Romney in total receipts and total disbursements: http://www.fec.gov/data/CandidateSummary.do?format=html&election_yr=2012

I've heard whoever leads in those categories usually wins. Although I can't find any comprehensive data on this.

Do those totals include SuperPAC money?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I wouldn't call Chris Hayes a hack, by any means.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Zogo posted:

The Romneybot will outspend Obama. Money probably won't determine this one though, as even compared to 2008 the amount both (lol) parties are spending is astronomical. Romney has led in fundraising and spending thus far, though. The problem with what you linked is that campaign advertising now has sweet fuckall to do with the FEC thanks to Citizens United.

Bill was referring to the horribly bungled Libya embassy thing.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

escape artist posted:

I wouldn't call Chris Hayes a hack, by any means.

Yeah, Hayes' own show is half-decent. About the only thing on cable news worth bothering with, though he gets the occasional nutbar conservative or super-Zionist and everything just shuts down there as well.

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Sep 16, 2012

Short and to the Point
Jun 3, 2000

If found please return to Durham.
It was a pretty unamazing show but nothing was bad. Last episode was a hard one to top.

I tend to try to avoid surrounding mysel with too much of an echo chamber but I do want to give Hayes' show a shot. Seemed informed and engaging enough.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

IRQ posted:

The Romneybot will outspend Obama.

Is it possible to conclusively determine that (if we're including all sources that are pro-romney versus all that are pro-obama)?

IRQ posted:

Money probably won't determine this one though, as even compared to 2008 the amount both (lol) parties are spending is astronomical. Romney has led in fundraising and spending thus far, though. The problem with what you linked is that campaign advertising now has sweet fuckall to do with the FEC thanks to Citizens United.

Do you have any good sources showing that Romney is outspending Obama? Those FEC numbers put Obama $105million ahead.

I've looked around a lot and even the FEC numbers from 2004 or older are put in the most asinine layout as possible: ftp://ftp.fec.gov/FEC/2004/webk04.zip

Frot Lesnar posted:

Do those totals include SuperPAC money?

I'm not sure if they contain any. Here's the form they use to determine each item:
http://www.fec.gov/pdf/forms/fecfrm3.pdf On the third and fourth page there are lines for PAC contributions.

Obama's FEC numbers from 2008 easily trounced McCain's from that year.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
Holy poo poo this guy is already on my nerves on the 1st question

Edit : God drat Chris is about to kill this guy.

Winkie01 fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 22, 2012

Steinuh
Nov 17, 2011

Chris Matthews owns. I wish Bill Oreilly would be on the panel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Steinuh posted:

Chris Matthews owns. I wish Bill Oreilly would be on the panel.

Yeah I don't know who would want to go on Bill's show and debate with Chris Matthews. He'll talk you to death and he's very informed.