Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Rhyno posted:

That's not concept art, it's the cover from issue 5 of the first Annihilation.

oops, sorry, thanks Rhyno. The original image looks a thousand times better to me than the actual cover, for some reason. The cover seems to cover up any brush strokes and character.

Thanos looks great though. Less like a fat purple skrull ape and more like a crazy strong cosmic motherfucker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah I agree, the originals do look better.

Sorry if I came off as a dick in the previous posts, kind of in a mood.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Pacra posted:

Nonsense, look at the angle of her legs and positioning of hips and glutes in the yoga picture. Then look at the comic cover. Completely different and kinesiologically unsound.

content:

Concept art (unfortunately couldn't find the artist) of Drax vs. Thanos, probably around Thanos Imperative; I love imagery of a less-goofy and more scary-rear end Thanos.

The artist is Gabriele Dell'Otto (his signature is on it but google has a pretty good reverse image search too). His style has kind of progressed over the last few years so the brush strokes are less visible. If you want to see a book of his work he did Secret War with Bendis a few years back.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Amano Batman. I'd buy that for my wall.

Deleuzionist
Jul 20, 2010

we respect the antelope; for the antelope is not a mere antelope
For some reason I suddenly thought about Jessica Rabbit.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Deleuzionist posted:

For some reason I suddenly thought about Jessica Rabbit.

Well, that's ruined forever.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Madkal posted:

I was looking back at some old comics in my collection and came across 52. Have I ever mentioned how much I loved the covers by J.G. Jones?

J.G. Jones is a pretty good cover artist:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mister Roboto posted:

Amano Batman. I'd buy that for my wall.

Pretty sure this was actually issued as a poster from DC.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

My favorite Steranko art is his work on the Nick Fury series in the 60s.

Favourite cover of all time, so so good.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I love this entire spread so goddamn much.

Edit:

Another

Man, Infinity Gauntlet. Man.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 20, 2012

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
From Bendis's twitter which has just been him mostly posting awesome comic art is Steranko's Shadow

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Hakkesshu posted:

Man, George Perez. Man.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I actually think that second picture might be Ron Lim. But I'll have to find my TPB to verify it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Codependent Poster posted:

I actually think that second picture might be Ron Lim. But I'll have to find my TPB to verify it.

Nah, Ron Lim finished off the series, but the first half was all Perez. :sigh: What a waste.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
Post Good Comic Book Art? Don't mind if I do!

Frazer Irving knocking it out of all the parks, Batman Inc. #0

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.
Transformers Spotlight: Kup has art that, by itself, is neither really good or bad, but the way it's used in the story makes it worth mentioning.
There will be :siren:SPOILERS:siren: for those who haven't read it.

Kup has crash landed on a planet loaded with extremely volatile crystals.

His partner Outback has not survived. Kup wields his arm as a weapon, and talks to him as if he were still alive. Their crashed ship is made into a hut of sorts.

The art here does a great job in portraying Kup as very old, and every thing has this gritty, broken look to it.
Every night at sundown, Kup is visited by a ghost, who heralds the arrival of robotic zombies.

He battles them every night, his power levels reaching dangerously low levels, until he somehow gets a surge and is able to last until sunrise, which drives the zombies away. One night he nearly reaches sparkcore meltdown, and a revelation is made.

The dark, gritty art is Kup's pov. Reality is portrayed in a more "normal" style.
The planet he's on gives off a powerful radiation that had fried Kup's brain, making him hallucinate. The Autobots attempting to rescue him must don anti-rads armor and wait until nightfall, when levels are at their lowest. Kup sees them as zombies.
Backup arrives in the form of Trailbreaker, whose force field powers protect him, and a final rescue attempt is made, during which Kup's spark chamber finally explodes. His final vision before passing out is haunting.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
This image comes from Avengers Initiative #35, art by Jorge Molina. Everything about this page is horrible, but I want to draw your attention to the toddler held in the arm of the woman in the last panel. She is too small and has no shading to give her depth. She looks more like a decal on her mother's sweater than an actual human being.

I don't think Jorge Molina is a bad artist, but the art in this issue was so uneven I think it was a rush-job.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006

Baron Bifford posted:

This image comes from Avengers Initiative #35, art by Jorge Molina. Everything about this page is horrible, but I want to draw your attention to the toddler held in the arm of the woman in the last panel. She is too small and has no shading to give her depth. She looks more like a decal on her mother's sweater than an actual human being.

I don't think Jorge Molina is a bad artist, but the art in this issue was so uneven I think it was a rush-job.

Since when does Tigra have tiger-paw hands?

Apart from the baby I don't think the art is terrible, save for the gratuitous T & A shots. I've always thought Molina is hit or miss, and disliked his tendency to draw everyone with super-model proportions, but that baby doesn't even look like he drew it. It looks like somebody photoshopped in a Larry Stroman drawing.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
The baby in the last panel holds a strong resemblance to the infamous restored jesus painting.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

The baby in the last panel also has adult (or at least teenager) facial proportions, which makes it even more disconcerting.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The twist is that it's not actually a baby. It's the "mother's" Mini-Me.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Couldn't find the source, but it looks like one of Tony Stark's many drunk sweats from the 1980s Iron Man. John Romita Jr.?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Dick Trauma posted:

Couldn't find the source, but it looks like one of Tony Stark's many drunk sweats from the 1980s Iron Man. John Romita Jr.?

It'll be from Demon In A Bottle. Doesn't look like JRjr, but I don't know enough to tell if it's Bob Layton or Carmine Infantino.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Dick Trauma posted:

Is Stark supposed to have a lazy eye when he gets drunk? I actually suffer from this condition. When I'm not concentrating my gaze, my left eye will swing to the left. Quite an ice-breaker at parties.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Dick Trauma posted:

Charles Bronson isn't looking too good.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAME2NCkFK4&t=3s

FutureBoy
Jan 18, 2003

"Listen, no offense, but if I'm getting taken down, man, it ain't gonna be from fuckin' Speedball!"

Hakkesshu posted:

I love this entire spread so goddamn much.

Man, Infinity Gauntlet. Man.

What I like about this most is the footprints. The thought of two all powerful beings trudging up a hill to look at giant stone letters makes this seem a little more real.

That Ignorant Sap posted:

Transformers Spotlight: Kup has art that, by itself, is neither really good or bad, but the way it's used in the story makes it worth mentioning.
There will be :siren:SPOILERS:siren: for those who haven't read it.

Backup arrives in the form of Trailbreaker, whose force field powers protect him, and a final rescue attempt is made, during which Kup's spark chamber finally explodes. His final vision before passing out is haunting.

So is Kup dead now?

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif
Yes, he probably is, but not from that

BooDooBoo fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Oct 7, 2012

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

That Ignorant Sap posted:

The dark, gritty art is Kup's pov. Reality is portrayed in a more "normal" style.
The planet he's on gives off a powerful radiation that had fried Kup's brain, making him hallucinate. The Autobots attempting to rescue him must don anti-rads armor and wait until nightfall, when levels are at their lowest. Kup sees them as zombies.
Did the radiation also age him? I thought Cybertronians were practically immortal.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Baron Bifford posted:

Did the radiation also age him? I thought Cybertronians were practically immortal.

The idea of "sparks" was introduced to TF canon.

They're basically electronic souls, a plot point which was necessary to ensure that they can't just rebuild every single robot that gets blown up, which would kill any storytelling drama.

Sparks can be damaged/destroyed out by things like radiation or really concentrated blasts or electron knives stabbing right through them.

In Kup's case, he's clearly damaged and degrading due to whatever he's gone through.

So while their bodies can keep being rebuilt, if their "spark" goes out, they are gone forever.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Silhouette posted:

Charles Bronson isn't looking too good.
That's not Charles Bronson, it's Jason King!

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Mister Roboto posted:

So while their bodies can keep being rebuilt, if their "spark" goes out, they are gone forever.

He also refused to upgrade as time went on, they make a point of this in the same issue, they're gonna have problems fixing him because he's basically a zeotrope in a Blu-ray age.

Later on in the run though...

...which is pretty good itself.

BooDooBoo fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Oct 9, 2012

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
They really, really need to put Infinity Gauntlet out in Omnibus form. Goddamn.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

They really, really need to put Infinity Gauntlet out in Omnibus form. Goddamn.

It'll probably happen when the Avengers 2 hype train starts rolling.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
I don't know why it would need an omnibus. It's only six issues, and I'm sure there's a trade in print.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I don't know why it would need an omnibus. It's only six issues, and I'm sure there's a trade in print.
There has been since '92.

Urdnot Fire fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Oct 10, 2012

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Senior Woodchuck posted:

There is also the Silver Surfer: Rebirth of Thanos

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Heh. '92 is probably when I got my copy.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I'm pretty sure he means one with the addition of at least the Silver Surfer tie-in issues (namely a good chunk of the issues between #34–60), The Thanos Quest 1-2, and Doctor Strange 36 (you could even include 31-35 if desired). There's definitely enough issues for a nice'n'thick hardcover.

I looked into creating my own once, but never got past early planning.

redbackground fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Oct 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

redbackground posted:

I'm pretty sure he means one with the addition of at least the Silver Surfer issues (quite a few of these), Thanos Quest 1-2, and Doctor Strange 36.
Minus the Doctor Strange issue, there is the aforementioned Silver Surfer: Rebirth of Thanos. But yeah, an omnibus combining the two books would be nifty as well.