Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
Did you follow the quantities suggested for stock and beer? Because that is watery as hell, at least for what I am used to. I cut back the stock quite a bit for this batch it is still on the watery/greasy side (though I imagine the grease is due to me using way more meat and chorizo)

I still love the poo poo out of that recipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I have to confess I use grounded Pork and Beef in my Chilli when I make it because I usually don't have time to cook it for ages. With Dried Chipotle and a good stock it comes out pretty good all in all.

If I'm making something with proper meat I'll usually go all the way and make a tagine out of it. Basically if I had several hours to make something it probably wouldn't be chilli.

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008
Chili is something that's pretty foreign to me, as a New Mexican.

When I prepare chile rojo I brown my meat with oil, then toast flour in a trace of the oil/meat, then I add chile powder, chicken or beef stock, and the browned meat.

Usually this is a general use chile that goes with everything from beans and chicos (toasted corn reheated and cooked with beans) to eggs in the morning and enchiladas.

Meatwise, beef and pork are common but I've used elk and bison and actually enjoy both more than beef and pork.

Mexcillent fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Aug 30, 2012

Duece Ex Machina
Aug 6, 2008

THE MACHO MAN posted:

Did you follow the quantities suggested for stock and beer? Because that is watery as hell, at least for what I am used to. I cut back the stock quite a bit for this batch it is still on the watery/greasy side (though I imagine the grease is due to me using way more meat and chorizo)

I still love the poo poo out of that recipe.

I followed the recipe to a T and just cooked it for longer. I started it around 4pm and we ate around 11...by then it had reduced to a good consistency.

I'm having trouble coordinating the heat though. MY GIRLFRIEND is not a huge fan of super spicy chili, and I want to include homemade chili powder but the last time I did it was just overwhelming spicy.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Duece Ex Machina posted:

I followed the recipe to a T and just cooked it for longer. I started it around 4pm and we ate around 11...by then it had reduced to a good consistency.

I'm having trouble coordinating the heat though. MY GIRLFRIEND is not a huge fan of super spicy chili, and I want to include homemade chili powder but the last time I did it was just overwhelming spicy.

I've had similar problems with my own recipe.

Now I put about half as much as I think I'm going to want in at the start, let it cook for an hour or two, then taste it before committing to the rest of it.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Duece Ex Machina posted:

Well that explains it. Longest I've waited is about 4.5hrs because I'm an impatient fatty.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
I took some poo poo earlier in this thread for my chili, specifically for using ground turkey. So I have made a few more batches trying different meats, including ground beef and "chili meat" which appeared to just be a cubed up roast. Along these lines, I have two "beef arm roasts" in my freezer. Would I do well to cube these up, sear them, and then use them for my chili meat? I don't want to waste one of the roasts if this is a bad idea.

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

adorai posted:

I took some poo poo earlier in this thread for my chili, specifically for using ground turkey. So I have made a few more batches trying different meats, including ground beef and "chili meat" which appeared to just be a cubed up roast. Along these lines, I have two "beef arm roasts" in my freezer. Would I do well to cube these up, sear them, and then use them for my chili meat? I don't want to waste one of the roasts if this is a bad idea.

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

It should be fine.

edit: I made chili this weekend with top sirloin, a leftover loin chop, and some old chorizo, and it came out pretty good. I think it really doesn't matter a lot what meat goes in once it is all cooked together.

cornface fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 3, 2012

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
This may or may not have been mentioned already somewhere, but with reference to Vegetarian Chili options:

Prepare the exact same thing as for a normal carnivore's chili, but instead of meat, add 1-2 pounds unsalted cashews (per pound of meat substituted). A friend of the family makes this every once in a while. And oh god it is the best stuff ever if you are looking for something vegetarian but still hearty as hell.

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Well, it's chili cook off time in my town again. In 2010 I got people's choice, and in 2011 I failed to place at all with the same recipe so I thought I'd post it here to see if anyone could see room for improvement. I used a recipe from the old GWS chili thread as a starting point, old timers should recognize it (been lurking for years).

basic rules:
(only) 3 hours to cook.
Must be outdoor with gas, no electricity.
Beans may be soaked overnight but all cooking (veggies included) must happen during competition.

Dave's Chili v.4 (the 2010 winner)
3 lbs cubed chuck steak (seasoned with granulated garlic, sea salt and pepper)
2 lbs cubed pork shoulder (ditto)

6 cups chicken stock
.5 cup evo
2 shots quervo gold
2 shots black strap molasses
4 cups day old french roast

12 minced garlic cloves
.5 lbs jalapenos
.25 lbs habaneros

.5 cup chili powder
1 tsp cayanne
2 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp oregano
3 tbsp smoked paprika
.5 cup white flour

Flour the meat then brown in cast iron pot. Add tequila, stir, add garlic, stir and cook garlic.
Add all spices, then beer and molasses
Add all peppers, stir, cook
Add chicken stock
cook for two hours, rehydrating with stale coffee

Main criticisms I got were thickening with corn starch slurry at the end (year one) and too spicy (year two).

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

BBQ Dave posted:

Main criticisms I got were thickening with corn starch slurry at the end (year one) and too spicy (year two).

The french toast is new for me. I think your biggest improvement would be grind your own chilies for powder. The difference between homemade and store bought is significant. Also I would switch to beef broth.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

wormil posted:

The french toast is new for me. I think your biggest improvement would be grind your own chilies for powder. The difference between homemade and store bought is significant. Also I would switch to beef broth.

He said roast, not toast. I'm assuming he meant coffee...and I hope day old means the coffee was roasted a day ago, not brewed because eww...

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I can see why they thought it was too spicy, that's a hell of a lot of spice in there. I would see how spicy it is before adding your chillies and adjusting how much you add accordingly (You'll need to extrapolate how spicy it tastes at that point with the end product mind). I would have always gone for a beef stock instead of a chicken stock. I would lighten the spice and try to highlight the other flavours, the smokiness etc. I've never made this recipe but I imagine it comes out fairly uniform as well, chorizo can make a great addition not only for flavour but as a texture change.

Pokeylope
Nov 12, 2010
I've been on a cooking rampage since a whole foods opened up nearby, and chili's been on the menu more than a few times. I love making it because you can put nearly anything in the pot and it'll still turn out great if you follow some basic guidelines.

The Good Eats episode on chili is an excellent resource. Unfortunately, it's a tough one to watch as he does this hokey cowboy thing the whole time that wears thin rather quickly. So here's an quick list of helpful chili tips:

• For thickening, mexican corn flour is recommended. It's called masa harina, and it's a pain to find. Tortilla chips are made of the same stuff, so just crush a few handfulls up into your chili and let em simmer for a bit till they dissolve. Just make sure to account for the extra salt they'll be adding.

• I'm not a big fan of beer, you can use nearly anything as the liquid in your chili and it'll turn out just fine. I prefer smoked tea. It can be tough to find but I love how it brings sweet and smokey to the party with an extra caffeine kick.

• Brown your meat in the chili pot. High heat, tiny bit of oil, and only stir once per batch. Don't crowd the pot or the extra moisture will ruin everything. You'll probably need to brown in batches, setting the cooked meat aside till you need it again. You want the meat to stick to the pot and leave a nice brown film on the bottom, but not burn. It can take a few tries to get it right, but once you get the hang of it you can omit broth from the recipe as the glaze should give you plenty of meat flavor for your sauce.

• Wear gloves (or sandwich baggies if you don't have gloves) when handling chile peppers. Capsaicin likes to hide under you fingernails stick to your skin. Even thorough washing won't get it all off (not water soluble) and it can linger for hours, just waiting for you to rub your eyes or pick your nose.

• Don't go overboard with the spices. You can always add more later, but you can't get rid of it once it's in the pot. Wait till it's almost done before taste-testing and fine tuning your spices.

• Instead of chopping up tons of veggies, just add a jar or two of your favorite salsa. you might still want to toss in a few fresh veggies and peppers, but it'll save you a lot of hassle.

• Make your own chili powder. I promise you won't regret it. (provided you don't open the blender too soon and mace yourself)

• Don't be afraid to experiment. Chili involves some seriously powerful spices and it takes a concentrated effort to really ruin a pot of chili. Mushrooms, rice, nuts, fruit, chocolate, whatever. If you like it, toss it in the chili pot and see what happens.

I'm making a fresh pot this weekend, I'm definitely gonna try adding some cashews like crazyeyes recommended. Thats sounds delicious.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
I've never had to add a thickener to chili, it reduces down a lot.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Pokeylope posted:

...it can linger for hours, just waiting for you to rub your eyes or pick your nose.

Or use the bathroom. :cry:

Jar salsa tastes like crap. Chopping veggies isn't much work relative to the whole process anyway. Corn, okra (also a thickener), carrots, celery, broccoli stalks, all make good additions. I prefer beef over pork in chili.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Pokeylope posted:

I've been on a cooking rampage since a whole foods opened up nearby, and chili's been on the menu more than a few times. I love making it because you can put nearly anything in the pot and it'll still turn out great if you follow some basic guidelines.

The Good Eats episode on chili is an excellent resource. Unfortunately, it's a tough one to watch as he does this hokey cowboy thing the whole time that wears thin rather quickly. So here's an quick list of helpful chili tips:

• For thickening, mexican corn flour is recommended. It's called masa harina, and it's a pain to find. Tortilla chips are made of the same stuff, so just crush a few handfulls up into your chili and let em simmer for a bit till they dissolve. Just make sure to account for the extra salt they'll be adding.

• I'm not a big fan of beer, you can use nearly anything as the liquid in your chili and it'll turn out just fine. I prefer smoked tea. It can be tough to find but I love how it brings sweet and smokey to the party with an extra caffeine kick.

• Brown your meat in the chili pot. High heat, tiny bit of oil, and only stir once per batch. Don't crowd the pot or the extra moisture will ruin everything. You'll probably need to brown in batches, setting the cooked meat aside till you need it again. You want the meat to stick to the pot and leave a nice brown film on the bottom, but not burn. It can take a few tries to get it right, but once you get the hang of it you can omit broth from the recipe as the glaze should give you plenty of meat flavor for your sauce.

• Wear gloves (or sandwich baggies if you don't have gloves) when handling chile peppers. Capsaicin likes to hide under you fingernails stick to your skin. Even thorough washing won't get it all off (not water soluble) and it can linger for hours, just waiting for you to rub your eyes or pick your nose.

• Don't go overboard with the spices. You can always add more later, but you can't get rid of it once it's in the pot. Wait till it's almost done before taste-testing and fine tuning your spices.

• Instead of chopping up tons of veggies, just add a jar or two of your favorite salsa. you might still want to toss in a few fresh veggies and peppers, but it'll save you a lot of hassle.

• Make your own chili powder. I promise you won't regret it. (provided you don't open the blender too soon and mace yourself)

• Don't be afraid to experiment. Chili involves some seriously powerful spices and it takes a concentrated effort to really ruin a pot of chili. Mushrooms, rice, nuts, fruit, chocolate, whatever. If you like it, toss it in the chili pot and see what happens.

I'm making a fresh pot this weekend, I'm definitely gonna try adding some cashews like crazyeyes recommended. Thats sounds delicious.

Chili should be thick enough to stand a spoon straight up, without adding anything else to it. Not sure why a thickener would be necessary.

Making your own chili powder, browning the meat, and using gloves for cutting up peppers are all good tips, but please do not call your other points "tips" in a chili thread. "Stuff that I think makes a tasty soup!" would work, but putting cashews, mushrooms, rice, broccoli, etc... into the pot causes it to cease being chili.

"I made some awesome Carbonara this weekend! The candied pecans and green bell peppers were the highlight of it!"

Edit: I really don't know how to make that sound less lovely. I'm sorry. :(

Doom Rooster fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Sep 8, 2012

Pokeylope
Nov 12, 2010
Chili is a contentious dish, I don't take offense or anything. Folks want what they want out of a bowl of red and I certainly understand how mushrooms or especially something like rice that changes the character of the dish could make some people cringe. I've seen debates over bean or no beans nearly come to blows, so I'll just say that chili can take a lot of punishment if you like to experiment.

As far as the thickener is concerned, I don't boil my chili for long. Most of the cooking is done covered in a low heat oven which really tenderizes the meat, but doesn't allow for much evaporation. I could boil off the excess liquid, or not add it in the first place, but I like the flavor and texture a few handfuls of tortilla chips add. Again, I know putting chips and salsa in my chili pot probably makes some of you want to hit me, but it works, I swear!

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
I'm going to be making chili for the first time today, and I have a few questions. I'm making a texas-style chili similar to the recipe on the first page. Adding chuck, ground beef, and pork shoulder from last night's roast, pork stock, jalapenos, dried ancho peppers, anaheim, and serrano chiles (only like 2 of each), can of chipotles in adobe sauce,bell peppers, a few tomatoes and onions.

I have an oatmeal stout that I was going to add, but now I'm wondering if something else would be better. Would that be a desirable choice for the flavors I have going on? Should I go get some more chiles and a different beer? Are dried anchos good enough for the chili flavor? I have generic chili powder I could add too. The stock's simmering right now, so I got some time before I start making chili.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Schmeichy posted:

I'm going to be making chili for the first time today, and I have a few questions. I'm making a texas-style chili similar to the recipe on the first page. Adding chuck, ground beef, and pork shoulder from last night's roast, pork stock, jalapenos, dried ancho peppers, anaheim, and serrano chiles (only like 2 of each), can of chipotles in adobe sauce,bell peppers, a few tomatoes and onions.

I have an oatmeal stout that I was going to add, but now I'm wondering if something else would be better. Would that be a desirable choice for the flavors I have going on? Should I go get some more chiles and a different beer? Are dried anchos good enough for the chili flavor? I have generic chili powder I could add too. The stock's simmering right now, so I got some time before I start making chili.

Oatmeal stout should work just fine. I love the good, malty dark beers for chili.

Anchos alone will be a fairly one-dimensional chili flavor, but with all the fresh peppers and chipotle, you should be good. Feel free to add some of the generic chili powder for a little more depth as long as it doesn't taste like sawdust. Don't forget to add Cumin though, as it is one of the main flavors that is included in pretty much every chili powder ever, and you won't get if you are just using dried chiles to make your own powder.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Doom Rooster posted:

Oatmeal stout should work just fine. I love the good, malty dark beers for chili.

Anchos alone will be a fairly one-dimensional chili flavor, but with all the fresh peppers and chipotle, you should be good. Feel free to add some of the generic chili powder for a little more depth as long as it doesn't taste like sawdust. Don't forget to add Cumin though, as it is one of the main flavors that is included in pretty much every chili powder ever, and you won't get if you are just using dried chiles to make your own powder.

I'm toasting cumin seeds and the dried peppers before I grind em up. Fresh ground cumin is so much better than the pre-ground stuff

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Doom Rooster posted:

Don't forget to add Cumin though, as it is one of the main flavors that is included in pretty much every chili powder ever, and you won't get if you are just using dried chiles to make your own powder.

Be careful with cumin. I don't usually use any in mine, and when I do I go very light on it with toasted whole cumin. Cumin is (at least to me) one of the spices with flavor even more potent than the massive amount of chilis I put it the pot, and it seems to make it taste more one-dimensional and...flat somehow?

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

OnceIWasAnOstrich posted:

Be careful with cumin. I don't usually use any in mine, and when I do I go very light on it with toasted whole cumin. Cumin is (at least to me) one of the spices with flavor even more potent than the massive amount of chilis I put it the pot, and it seems to make it taste more one-dimensional and...flat somehow?

Yeah, definitely with you on taking it easy with the Cumin. A little goes a long way, but if it isn't there at all, it just doesn't taste right to me.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Cumin is essential to me but it can get overpowering - you can always fry a little extra cumin to add if you didn't get enough in the beginning, easier to put in than take out etc. etc.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Doom Rooster posted:

Making your own chili powder, browning the meat, and using gloves for cutting up peppers are all good tips, but please do not call your other points "tips" in a chili thread. "Stuff that I think makes a tasty soup!" would work, but putting cashews, mushrooms, rice, broccoli, etc... into the pot causes it to cease being chili.

"I made some awesome Carbonara this weekend! The candied pecans and green bell peppers were the highlight of it!"

Edit: I really don't know how to make that sound less lovely. I'm sorry. :(

This is just nonsense. If you put mushrooms in your chilli it doesn't stop being chilli, it's just different chilli. You'll struggle to find many chillis in the UK without tomatoes and beans in them, that's just how they are, that's not how they are in Texas for example. That doesn't mean one is chilli and one is not-chilli. Chilli is about a certain character and serving, not sticking to a one true recipe or something.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Chili is a living recipe

BBQ Dave
Jun 17, 2012

Well, that's easy for you to say. You have a bad imagination. It's stupid. I live in a fantasy world.

Thanks for the ti...uh, suggestions. The stale coffee thing is a weird trick my boss (he's a chef, I work in a deli that always has a chef managing) had me try and it makes the chili smell really rich. As for the thickener, well, it's only three hours over a propane stove and you gotta produce 2 gallons for sampling. The first hour gets spent browning and mixing, and I had a hard time standing up a spoon in it so at the last minute I made a slurry. The judges said they could taste corn starch. The tortilla chip thing sounds interesting. Thanks. Also I'll take it easy on the cumin.

Well, I'm going to go look up making my own chili powder, and try to simplify the recipe outline. Let you know how it goes.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Cornflour has a weird way of coming though all tastes like a majestic piece of farm machinery. so you always need to use with caution and make sure you cook out the flavour (but not go too far and break down the thickening again)

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
Thanks for the suggestions, it turned out really well. I ended up having to go to the store, so I picked up some chorizo to throw in with the pork and chuck. Didn't put ground beef in, and added some molasses and corn flour to offset the spiciness.

Things I would change: I underestimated how many chiles I was adding. I made a chile powder out of chile de arbol and anchos, and I liked the flavor, but I added way too many fresh peppers. I liked it, but my husband is kind of a wimp when it comes to spice, so next time I'll add only one serrano and anaheim and up the less spicy jalapenos and chipotles. Also should have chopped the peppers finer and roasted them first.

All-in-all, the homemade chile powder, oatmeal stout, pork/beef/chorizo combo, and over 5-hour cooking time are all things I'd do again. Delicious spicy goodness! Thanks, chili thread.

Fake edit: I found a person online that suggested making chili and putting it in the bottom of the pan you're making cornbread in. Definitely trying that with the leftovers.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
Chili is exactly one thing and cooking mushrooms for hours is gross as gently caress.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

bunnielab posted:

Chili is exactly one thing and cooking mushrooms for hours is gross as gently caress.

Soooooo sear them in oil separately and add them at the end?

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Schmeichy posted:

Things I would change: I underestimated how many chiles I was adding. I made a chile powder out of chile de arbol and anchos, and I liked the flavor, but I added way too many fresh peppers. I liked it, but my husband is kind of a wimp when it comes to spice, so next time I'll add only one serrano and anaheim and up the less spicy jalapenos and chipotles. Also should have chopped the peppers finer and roasted them first.

As a heads up if you just want some flavor but not all the heat from the fresh chiles, throw them in whole without slicing or cutting them at all. It's not quite as potent as having them sliced and stuff but you get a lot less of the heat that way too as long as they don't get broken. Chopping them up finer will probably make each bite a bit hotter, I think.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Aramoro posted:

This is just nonsense. If you put mushrooms in your chilli it doesn't stop being chilli, it's just different chilli. You'll struggle to find many chillis in the UK without tomatoes and beans in them, that's just how they are, that's not how they are in Texas for example. That doesn't mean one is chilli and one is not-chilli. Chilli is about a certain character and serving, not sticking to a one true recipe or something.

Chilli in the UK is generally absolutely crap for all sorts of reasons, the main one being I've never met anyone who doesn't just use standard supermarket chilli powder. This is largely due to the variety of dried and fresh chillis being fairly non-existant outside of searching online or very rare specialist shops.

My local supermarket had a massive overhaul of their fresh fruit and veg section and there are now 4 chillis available after years of some generic red chillis and birdseye if you're lucky

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Soooooo sear them in oil separately and add them at the end?

Which kinda defeats the reason chili is cooked the way that it is. I would love to hear a good reason to add them, as I cannot see them adding anything worthwhile to the dish.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Well you see mushrooms add an umami element

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Heh.

edit: But seriously the only non-spice non-broth/beer ingredients in my chili are chili peppers, meat, and garlic. I feel like people add onions and mushrooms and tomatoes and stuff because they don't really commit to their chili peppers. They're afraid of the heat. You should not be afraid of the heat. Use so many peppers.

Kenning fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Sep 11, 2012

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

bunnielab posted:

Exactly one thing? What exactly is it then pray tell, I mean precisely. I mean beer in chilli is hardly a traditional element.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Scott Bakula posted:

Chilli in the UK is generally absolutely crap for all sorts of reasons, the main one being I've never met anyone who doesn't just use standard supermarket chilli powder. This is largely due to the variety of dried and fresh chillis being fairly non-existant outside of searching online or very rare specialist shops.

My local supermarket had a massive overhaul of their fresh fruit and veg section and there are now 4 chillis available after years of some generic red chillis and birdseye if you're lucky

That's really the fault of the people making the Chilli, not the style of chilli they're attempting to make though. I'm sure you'll find a lot of people in the US making Chilli with store bought chilli powder. I guess I'm fortunate that I live in a city with a really good Mexican deli so getting things like dried chipotle chillies is easy.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Aramoro posted:

Exactly one thing? What exactly is it then pray tell, I mean precisely. I mean beer in chilli is hardly a traditional element.

Chili is beef + chili peppers. Clearly there is room to stretch this a bit but there comes a point where by making it too inclusive the word loses meaning. It is a really simple dish that people keep trying to add unnecessary poo poo in to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

bunnielab posted:

Chili is beef + chili peppers. Clearly there is room to stretch this a bit but there comes a point where by making it too inclusive the word loses meaning. It is a really simple dish that people keep trying to add unnecessary poo poo in to.

I'm really interested to see you Chili recipe that is nothing but Beef and Chili peppers. Can you write it out for us? No onion or garlic at all? You said it was Exactly one thing, what is it exactly.

So if it's got tomatoes in it, like the winner of the Terlingua International Chili Championship 2009, then it's not Chili right?