Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Another question I should ask is whether it's a better deal to get a refurb (a bit older, better discount) vs. a new laptop with an education discount (newer product, worse discount? I think it's $100). It looks like the priciest Air (the one I'd want since it has 13" screen and 256 GB of storage) would be $1449 with the education discount. The most recent refurb (July 2011) is $1179.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Third option here

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/871873-REG/Apple_MD232LL_A_Mcbook_Air_Ci5_1_8g_4GB_256GB_SSD_13_3.html

Current Ivy bridge model with 256gig SSD. No tax and free shipping. Apple charges tax in every state.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Third option here

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/871873-REG/Apple_MD232LL_A_Mcbook_Air_Ci5_1_8g_4GB_256GB_SSD_13_3.html

Current Ivy bridge model with 256gig SSD. No tax and free shipping. Apple charges tax in every state.

Oh poo poo. I'm pretty tempted to return the base 13" MBA I just bought, I could get one with 256 GB and an i7 for what I paid after tax.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/812525-REG/Apple_MD226LL_A_13_3_MacBook_Air_Notebook.html

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Personally i wouldn't because that one is Sandy Bridge. It doesn't have USB3 and the graphics card is rear end. It depends on what you want though.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

Personally i wouldn't because that one is Sandy Bridge. It doesn't have USB3 and the graphics card is rear end. It depends on what you want though.

Ah, I was thinking that was the newest model, thanks.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Do the 27" Displays come with a thunderbolt cable or have buyable warranty?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Boris Galerkin posted:

You can buy AppleCare for sure. Not sure about the cable, but the web site lists what is in the box.

Voodoo Cafe
Jul 19, 2004
"You got, uhh, Holden Caulfield in there, man?"

Boris Galerkin posted:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC913ZM/A/apple-thunderbolt-cable-20-m
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC250LL/B/applecare-wuip-for-apple-display

eames
May 9, 2009

eames posted:

Does anybody in this thread happen to have some experience with the OWC Envoy?

My 2011 MBA is out of warranty and would require a new logic board (not worth it) but the 256 GB SSD still works fine.

That OWC housing looks like a great way to recycle the SSD with my new 2012 MBA, unless the performance of the USB 3.0 controller is really terrible. I just can’t find a single benchmark of it online. :(

To answer my own question, my OWC Envoy enclosure arrived today and I put the 2010 MBA’s old Toshiba drive in it.

Not blazing fast, but I can’t complain since it only cost me €40 to build this 256GB USB 3.0 SSD.

I didn’t realise that USB does not support TRIM, so I am pretty happy that the 2010 MBA SSD still relied on Garbage Collection since Snow Leopard had no TRIM support either.

personaljesus
Mar 30, 2003
I have a Core 2 Duo MBP (I think late 2009 model) with 4GB RAM. I am planning to replace the harddrive with an M4 SSD. Also planning to up the RAM. Should I go for 2 x 4GB or 2 x 8GB? 16GB RAM seems like overkill to me, but the price difference is only $20 or so. So might as well?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

personaljesus posted:

I have a Core 2 Duo MBP (I think late 2009 model) with 4GB RAM. I am planning to replace the harddrive with an M4 SSD. Also planning to up the RAM. Should I go for 2 x 4GB or 2 x 8GB? 16GB RAM seems like overkill to me, but the price difference is only $20 or so. So might as well?

It's insanely overkill but if $20 isn't going to affect your budget, you might as well.

edit: almost 100% sure you can't put 16GB in a C2D

Have you considered selling it and buying a 13" with an i5? It will tear your C2D a new one while having better graphics and battery (and Thunderbolt), and you can still upgrade the RAM/SSD.

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

Mu Zeta posted:

I've never been taxed here in Oregon.

personaljesus
Mar 30, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Have you considered selling it and buying a 13" with an i5? It will tear your C2D a new one while having better graphics and battery (and Thunderbolt), and you can still upgrade the RAM/SSD.

That might actually make more sense financially. Appreciate the heads-up, I will check the prices now.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/09/10/production-of-13-inch-retina-macbook-pro-and-updated-imacs-reportedly-ramping-up/

I'm not sure how I feel about this. I just bought a 15".

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

What do you mean you know how you feel about that? You knew that there would eventually be a 13" MBP with Retina Display; and you knew that next year there's probably going to be a second generation 15" MBP with Retina Display.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Boris Galerkin posted:

What do you mean you know how you feel about that? You knew that there would eventually be a 13" MBP with Retina Display; and you knew that next year there's probably going to be a second generation 15" MBP with Retina Display.

Didn't realize it'd be this soon.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Okay, at least when HP copied the MacBook Pro they put ugly red lines on it. But what the gently caress is this poo poo with their new all-in-one. Look at the keyboard and mouse!

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

"Not from this distance, your honor."

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Bob Morales posted:

Okay, at least when HP copied the MacBook Pro they put ugly red lines on it. But what the gently caress is this poo poo with their new all-in-one. Look at the keyboard and mouse!

If only Apple could copy the HP Z8XX workstations into a new Mac Pro.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You'd think after Samsung got bitch slapped for copying Apple, HP would have done something to differentiate their product.

I'm not sure making horribly useless arrow keys qualifies as "differentiation".

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

Sweet jesus this thing is terrible.

It's obviously not a ripoff because the guts are in the stand, not in the monitor! Plus it has an external power brick! :v:

Also, that means it's not wall-mountable :buddy:

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Sep 10, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Did the Vizio iMac ever come out or does it only exist in 3D Studio

Wanna snap that stand in half so bad.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007
The HP one is a pretty blatant ripoff, especially when you look at what their designers pump out when they don't outright copy apple:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

That eMachines iMac was the worst ripoff ever:

The worst part about the original iMac was that every computer accessory was made in that translucent colored plastic for like 10 years.

personaljesus
Mar 30, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

That eMachines iMac was the worst ripoff ever:

The worst part about the original iMac was that every computer accessory was made in that translucent colored plastic for like 10 years.

Ok so we had:

- Translucent Plastic
- Piano Black
- Brushed Steel / Aluminum

What's next?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

personaljesus posted:

Ok so we had:

- Translucent Plastic
- Piano Black
- Brushed Steel / Aluminum

What's next?

You missed machined metal. Thats not the same as brushed.

Maybe we can have carbon fiber(mass produced) or magnesium next.

personaljesus
Mar 30, 2003

Shaocaholica posted:

Personally I am waiting for an organic case that you actually have to feed.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

personaljesus posted:

Personally I am waiting for an organic case that you actually have to feed.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Things are going to come full circle and we're going to have beige computers once more.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
The hard drive in my 2009 MBP is slowly (sometimes quickly) but surely giving up the ghost, locking up and sometimes failing to register as a bootable volume on startup. I've used this thing almost constantly since I got it so no big deal, these things happen, this machine doesn't owe me a goddamn thing and I've got multiple backups of everything that'll be missed.

But the Apple store nearest me is being seriously dickish about getting it fixed, insisting I take it into the store which is on the opposite side of the city from where I live. They won't even entertain the idea of giving me an idea of how long it'll take to work on when I call, let alone give me a ballpark quote for replacing it since the sales reps that take the calls are physically barred from talking to the CJ's who work six feet away from them. This sucks because I *need* this laptop to work and to find more work in a timely fashion, and I don't have the time to be dicked around for a week while the ~Genius Bar~ replaces one single part. I don't need a loving diagnostic run because I know what the problem is the problem is a dying hard drive, I don't need a backup service and likely couldn't use it if I did since the hard drive is suffering a mechanical failure, what I need is a new goddamned HD and a ballpark figure of how much it'll set me back.

I'd swap it out my own goddamned self but for the fact that somewhere in my last three moves I've lost my OS install CD, and I'd be screwed if my HD died altogether in the 2 weeks or so it'd take for a replacement HD to ship. I figured the Apple store had a few HDs kicking around and could slap a new one in there and get Mountain Lion installing while they move on to work on other things but I guess that Herculean labor is just A Bridge Too motherfucking Far.

I'm sorry for the rant but I had to get that out of my system. In the last two years or so Apple has done a lot to sell me on the idea of building a dual-boot Hackintosh for my next big computer purchase.

Complaints aside, my questions are:

1. How much would it cost and how long would y'all suppose it'd take to replace the HD on a 2009 MBP? I cannot believe I have to ask this of a forum instead of calling the store b... wait. Sorry, I said the rant was over. Sorry.

1a. Depending on the answer to the above, would it save or create headaches to rush order a replacement HD and put it in myself, either shelling out for Mountain Lion or using a friend's Snow Leopard CD's which have never been used once except to show a sales rep he once bought an OS in order to get a free OS upgrade?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

It takes all of 3 minutes to replace the HD in a unibody. Even more if you have the model were you can just pop the battery cover off and it's right there.

You either need a retail Snow Leopard DVD, or the DVD from your model MBP - I don't think you can just use some rnadom one but I may be wrong. You could also make a USB disk (8GB) from the installer of Lion/Mountain Lion.

If your HD works for a little while, you can try to image it - stick it in a USB housing and use carbon copy cloner or super duper. I do that and I want to say it only takes like 2GB/minute to image a drive.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Shaocaholica posted:

Magnesium will be hilarious when it overheats :supaburn:

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

LOL, my local Costco is selling this as we speak.

Absolutely terrible in person, I almost feel sorry for it...

gregday
May 23, 2003

wdarkk posted:

Weren't NeXT computers magnesium?

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

They have 4 at the ATL Windows Store. I was fascinated by it, but many things didn't work and the surfaces felt cheap. But cheap in that "if I had never purchased any Mac hardware in the last decade, this would blow my mind" kind of way. Same with the Vizio laptops, I thought to myself "if Apple was somehow illegal and I was a stowaway on a cargo ship with no power in the Ukraine, I would totally use the heck out of this if I found it."

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Bob Morales posted:

You either need a retail Snow Leopard DVD, or the DVD from your model MBP - I don't think you can just use some rnadom one but I may be wrong. You could also make a USB disk (8GB) from the installer of Lion/Mountain Lion.

No 2009 MacBook Pro shipped with anything higher than 10.6.0. The retail Snow Leopard DVD if its labeled 10.6.3 would be just fine.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

edit: almost 100% sure you can't put 16GB in a C2D

This is correct. The 2009s only support 8GB.

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
I have a 2010 MacBook Air. I'm on Mountain Lion 10.8.1. I'm using a non Apple mini-Displayport to HDMI cable to hook my laptop up to an LG HDTV. For so,e reason I do not get sound on the TV, even if I set the tv to the output source in sound preferences it still plays through the built in speakers. I'm using my Jawbone Jambox for now but it's kind of annoying. Is there a fix for this?

Edit: it's a Late 2010 air, the newer style, so it should support audio over displayport

Rubiks Pubes fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 11, 2012

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

gregday posted:

Weren't NeXT computers magnesium?

Yes. As were substantial parts of the non-toilet-lid iBooks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

wdarkk posted:

Magnesium as a structural metal for electronics is rarely pure enough to ignite but pure enough that you can have weight savings even over aluminum. Its still pricey though.