Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

It's like Sirius metal station fodder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

I miss Cool Guy. :(

Sargeant Biffalot
Nov 24, 2006

Optimum Gulps posted:

Sieges Even - The Art of Navigating By the Stars

This is a real lightning in a bottle album. I don't normally like that dream theater/rush kind of prog metal sound but it complements the "alone on a ship at night" melancholy/detached mood of the album so perfectly.

Also any mention of goofy pretty metal has to bring up the cheesiest musical theater metal band: Eternity X.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWcthKDffyE

Galloglass are nice as pretty power metal goes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpOmjQC9Dyk

Think there's probably a good deal of crossover between these kind of power/prog metal bands and the orchestral keyboards and clean vocals school of doom metal, like While Heaven Wept.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPVgQTHFlhk

On which note, granted, there's a fairly small gap between where they start being poppy and melodic and the point where they stop being a metal band at all, but I kind of want to throw in a word for The Gathering
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qP5nB0aJabQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoR_i7XAh9k

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Roasted Donut posted:

Also here's a cool new sports center commercial that is relevant here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USHZZ5bwASU

I have that slayer shirt, only with sleeves.

Duncan Doenitz
Nov 17, 2010

There are four lights.
On the subject of pretty metal, is anyone going to ProgPower in Atlanta next weekend? The headliners are Epica and Symphony X, but I'm not familiar with the rest.

http://www.progpowerusa.com/

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

And it's just a little bit of Cretaceous Castle Magic
Redemption, Pretty Maids, Primordial, and Mystic Prophecy are all pretty cool, though I'm unfamiliar with everyone else. Primordial seems a bit out of place to me, though.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!

Weaponized Cum posted:

If you like them listen to Maruta and Wormrot!

Cool thanks!

I'm glad I finally got around to watching this. After seeing the link passed around a for a few days it was interesting to see what the fuss was all about. As a youtuber mentioned, it would make a pretty good sitcom.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

I'm glad I finally got around to watching this. After seeing the link passed around a for a few days it was interesting to see what the fuss was all about. As a youtuber mentioned, it would make a pretty good sitcom.

Same. The premise reminded me of the movie He Was A Quiet Man (on Netflix streaming). It was funny how the techno bit fit in.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Velocirocktor posted:

Redemption, Pretty Maids, Primordial, and Mystic Prophecy are all pretty cool, though I'm unfamiliar with everyone else. Primordial seems a bit out of place to me, though.

I went to Progpower a few times and there's usually at least one really out of place band.

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

A couple of my best buds are heading there, I'm so loving jealous. Kamelot, Nightwish, and Serenity are also going to be there on top of the others mentioned. poo poo is just god damned ridiculous.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

IRQ posted:

I went to Progpower a few times and there's usually at least one really out of place band.

Solution .45 is the guy who quit Scar Symmetry, so they're going to be kind of out of place too. It's loud from the start so be careful!

vanov
Sep 19, 2005

sup space lol

Stoat posted:

Solution .45 is the guy who quit Scar Symmetry, so they're going to be kind of out of place too. It's loud from the start so be careful!

Christian Älvestam is one of the few growling vocalists that I wish just wouldn't growl ever. His cleans are so good but he also keeps ending up in bands that would sound extremely cheesy if he just did cleans the whole time I GUESS I DON'T KNOW WHAT I WANT. I think I'm maybe just drifting away from the guttural growls and getting more into the "natural"-sounding screaming of some of the newer guys. Samuel Bourreau of Hacride (:nws: for boobies) can get some work done.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

vanov posted:

Christian Älvestam is one of the few growling vocalists that I wish just wouldn't growl ever. His cleans are so good but he also keeps ending up in bands that would sound extremely cheesy if he just did cleans the whole time I GUESS I DON'T KNOW WHAT I WANT. I think I'm maybe just drifting away from the guttural growls and getting more into the "natural"-sounding screaming of some of the newer guys. Samuel Bourreau of Hacride (:nws: for boobies) can get some work done.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXRZylqsOBc

The only vocalist I've ever paid money to see who sounded worse live was Jonas Renkse from Katatonia. At least Christian's live growls are competent even if he sounds like poo poo by the end of a 30-minute set.

(Edit: gently caress, forgot about Geoff Tate.)

Maybe he's improved a lot in 6 years, I have no idea.

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Sep 9, 2012

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

The first most obvious recommendation is Hangar. Their drummer is Aquiles Priester who was in Angra for a bit and is phenomenal.

This is about as heavy as they get:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYrCf7L67gM

Yo thanks for posting this because Aquiles Priester owns, and the three albums of Angra hes on are my favorite, and this youtube linked me to a vid of him playing DEATH's Symbolic which was unreal. I wish more bands had the balls to cover DEATH and do it well.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

wAstIng 10 bUcks ON an aVaTar iS StUpid
We'll interview the following bands in the next few weeks, in case anybody has any questions:
Witchcraft
Eluveitie
Kreator

Also, the following are likely:
Sabaton
Delain
Grave

We're also finishing a massive interview with Selim Lenouchi of The Devil's Blood. A 3-hour interview that will probably end up as a 20/30 minute mini documentary which will coincide with some new from them. ;)

Finally, we are supporting a fundraising effort for a metal fan who, long story short, had a brain tumor removed and, as a consequence, has a debt of about 45k. To make matters worse, to get that money the family asked money from loan sharks... in Serbia. http://www.indiegogo.com/SaveDaniela

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Oh my, I haven't listened to Delain in a while.

But yeah it probably isn't fun to deal with Serbian loan sharks after getting cancer treated.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Dead Man Posting posted:

Oh my, I haven't listened to Delain in a while.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbXE6OtyCoI

It's pretty crappy, and preaches to the choir.

Kjorteo
Jun 25, 2012

by angerbot

Non Serviam posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbXE6OtyCoI

It's pretty crappy, and preaches to the choir.

I think I'm going to give that the same kind of let-it-slide pass I sometimes (usually) extend to Nightwish, in that those lyrics are ridiculous but I actually like the sound so it's okay. Of course, there are other things with that kind of sound that are higher on my priority list (I don't see myself picking that album up before I get Within Temptation's The Unforgiving, for example,) but hey, good to know these guys are an option, too.

Also, I didn't get a chance to respond to everyone's recommendations earlier and probably couldn't now without completely spamming the thread with however many replies in a row, so let's just leave it at "thanks, everyone!" I appreciate it, I really do.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Non Serviam posted:

We'll interview the following bands in the next few weeks, in case anybody has any questions:
Witchcraft
Eluveitie
Kreator

Also, the following are likely:
Sabaton
Delain
Grave

I don't have any questions but want to say that Grave's new disc is loving awesome.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Defleshed posted:

I don't have any questions but want to say that Grave's new disc is loving awesome.

Agreed.

Adding that the new Hooded Menace disc, Effigies of Evil is awesome! Fullfill the Curse was a landmark death/doom album for me. Never Cross the Dead was only a slight let down. Effigies of Evil is a return to form!!!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Agreed.

Adding that the new Hooded Menace disc, Effigies of Evil is awesome! Fullfill the Curse was a landmark death/doom album for me. Never Cross the Dead was only a slight let down. Effigies of Evil is a return to form!!!

Fulfill The Curse is one of the most insanely heavy and groovy albums. The title track alone is so catchy and awesome... gently caress I need to go listen to it right now.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
Obituary and Broken Hope on the 17th woooo! This after an entire weekend of punk rock (and GWAR!) at Riot Fest. I am going to be brain dead by Tuesday.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

My girlfriend informed me that linkin Park released a new music video which is "interactive" (it isn't) by accessing your facebook account and using your pictures. (http://lostintheecho.com/)

At the end, you can submit a message, inspired by what you saw, for all to see.
I submitted this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.

Non Serviam posted:

My girlfriend informed me that linkin Park released a new music video which is "interactive" (it isn't) by accessing your facebook account and using your pictures. (http://lostintheecho.com/)

At the end, you can submit a message, inspired by what you saw, for all to see.
I submitted this:

Why are you talking about Linkin Park in the metal thread?

Seriously, though, who are you interviewing in Eluveitie? If it's Chrigel, ask how the group was put together, as well as where they learned Gaulish? I'm curious as to how the metal people found the "random folk instrument" people.

Finally, how researched is the Serb girl? I find it suspicious that her profile and video play up the war when it took place in Bosnia, Croatia and Slovenia, and her part of Serbia wasn't affected at all (I don't count refugees as "affected", especially when the video is showing bombed out cities, which didn't happen in Vojvodina).

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Gorilla Radio posted:

Why are you talking about Linkin Park in the metal thread?

Seriously, though, who are you interviewing in Eluveitie? If it's Chrigel, ask how the group was put together, as well as where they learned Gaulish? I'm curious as to how the metal people found the "random folk instrument" people.

Finally, how researched is the Serb girl? I find it suspicious that her profile and video play up the war when it took place in Bosnia, Croatia and Slovenia, and her part of Serbia wasn't affected at all (I don't count refugees as "affected", especially when the video is showing bombed out cities, which didn't happen in Vojvodina).

Eluveitie Interview:Merlin (drummer). I wanted to interview the singer... but the reply was, literally "here's Merlin's number".

The girl:
a. She's the friend of one of our staff members, who is also Serbian. I can get you the proper documents, whether you want to help or not, just to make sure it's clear that it isn't a scam.
b. The war footage was used, as far as I know, for illustrative purposes, giving a context to life in the Ex-Yu (it's no more than 5-10 seconds of that while video I think). The point was to show that living in Serbia, as in any ex-Yu republic, was terrible due to the constant violence in the region (anywhere between 10k and 20k Serbians died in the Civil war, where their families had to serve; and Later, in the NATO bombings of the early 2000's they lived, quite literally, in the bombed regions).

Thanks for the questions though; if anybody else had any doubts it's good that this is clarified.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

If I see Eluveitie live can I raid the stage with a battleaxe and take Anna Murphy as my salt wife?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Fingers McGee posted:

If I see Eluveitie live can I raid the stage with a battleaxe and take Anna Murphy as my salt wife?
Why are you asking that instead of just paying the iron price and getting it done?

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.

Non Serviam posted:

Eluveitie Interview:Merlin (drummer). I wanted to interview the singer... but the reply was, literally "here's Merlin's number".

The girl:
a. She's the friend of one of our staff members, who is also Serbian. I can get you the proper documents, whether you want to help or not, just to make sure it's clear that it isn't a scam.
b. The war footage was used, as far as I know, for illustrative purposes, giving a context to life in the Ex-Yu (it's no more than 5-10 seconds of that while video I think). The point was to show that living in Serbia, as in any ex-Yu republic, was terrible due to the constant violence in the region (anywhere between 10k and 20k Serbians died in the Civil war, where their families had to serve; and Later, in the NATO bombings of the early 2000's they lived, quite literally, in the bombed regions).

Thanks for the questions though; if anybody else had any doubts it's good that this is clarified.

Ask Merlin what it was like playing with Tyr in 2008 and whether he had to learn the songs and how easy is it for a drummer to pick up and play with another band?

As for the Serb, good to know she's legit. My family came from Serbia, so I can say for a fact that Serbia was not itself fought in or attacked during the 1989-1995 wars. And knowing my people, I really wouldn't be surprised to see war footage used in a scam (this is a joke). But since you know someone who knows her personally, I'll try to throw in some money.

Gorilla Radio fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 11, 2012

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Saw Symphony X in DC tonight. They were great, just like they were the last 9 times, but uh, the crowd, I hesitate to call it one. There was easily less than 100 people there total, which was kind of sad, but they still put on a good show.

I mean, this is literally 95% of the people there:

Better luck in Baltimore tomorrow dudes.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I've got that guy's sweet Apt. 9 striped shirt from Kohl's

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Yes, the dress was shameful, so many khakis. I was wearing an Agalloch shirt and dark jeans. :black101:

(:goonsay:)

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
Seeing them tonight in Baltimore. What was their set list like?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

Seeing them tonight in Baltimore. What was their set list like?

Disappointing if you've seen them before on this tour or like their older stuff at all. Also very short for them being the only band playing. About 45 minutes before the encore.

From what I remember, and I think this is the entire set: Iconoclast, Dehumanized, End of Innocence, Bastards of the Machine, Electric Messiah, When All is Lost, Sins and Shadows, Set the World on Fire, Encore was The Odyssey (again). So not even the best songs from the most recent album, at least in my opinion.

Nothing off of V (they aren't even playing Egypt or Evolution anymore, goddamn), nothing off of Twilight in Olympus, nothing off of Damnation Game, nothing off of The Odyssey aside from the title track. They were great at what they played, of course, but as a long time fan I really wanted at least some old stuff.

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

^^
Nothing from Adrenaline mob? (be it a song OR a fedora?)

Gorilla Radio posted:

And knowing my people, I really wouldn't be surprised to see war footage used in a scam (this is a joke)

Sadly, Serbia has a big mafia (known for its ruthlessness) so, no, nothing is impossible. :(

Kjorteo
Jun 25, 2012

by angerbot

IRQ posted:

Saw Symphony X in DC tonight. They were great, just like they were the last 9 times, but uh, the crowd, I hesitate to call it one. There was easily less than 100 people there total, which was kind of sad, but they still put on a good show.

I mean, this is literally 95% of the people there:

Better luck in Baltimore tomorrow dudes.

That was about the size of the crowd for the Blind Guardian (with Seven Kingdoms/Holy Grail) show in Albuquerque I got to attend. The actual theater was a lot smaller, but it's not like it was hard to fit that many people in there anyway. At least acts like Iron Maiden and Scorpions and such can still draw a crowd, but Americans just aren't very good at recognizing stuff outside the I Heart Radio radar, I guess.

I know there was a "reasons Hansi Kursch is a cool guy and Blind Guardian is awesome live" discussion a while ago, but this portion of it bears repeating: to their credit, this did not deter them at all.

IRQ posted:

Disappointing if you've seen them before on this tour or like their older stuff at all. Also very short for them being the only band playing. About 45 minutes before the encore.

From what I remember, and I think this is the entire set: Iconoclast, Dehumanized, End of Innocence, Bastards of the Machine, Electric Messiah, When All is Lost, Sins and Shadows, Set the World on Fire, Encore was The Odyssey (again). So not even the best songs from the most recent album, at least in my opinion.

Nothing off of V (they aren't even playing Egypt or Evolution anymore, goddamn), nothing off of Twilight in Olympus, nothing off of Damnation Game, nothing off of The Odyssey aside from the title track. They were great at what they played, of course, but as a long time fan I really wanted at least some old stuff.

Then again, I actually dislike most of their newer stuff, so I guess I'm not missing much, then. Russell Allen has a beautiful voice when he applies it to clean melodic stuff like Divine Wings/V, or has anyone heard basically any of his contributions to Allen/Lande but especially "Copernicus" off The Showdown? But then most of Paradise Lost and/or Iconoclast is just ... agh, Russell, you're not a death metal singer, stop it :(

super size soft serve
Aug 28, 2011

You think I'm fat, but it's an optical illusion.

Kjorteo posted:

That was about the size of the crowd for the Blind Guardian (with Seven Kingdoms/Holy Grail) show in Albuquerque I got to attend.

That's such a weird idea to me, since any Blind Guardian show anywhere near me would sell out pretty easily. And I'm not even talking about tiny venues either.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I went to an Immolation show about a year ago at a small venue on a Sunday night and there was literally like 25 people there. Turnout for metal shows in my area is usually a lot better but it was like the worst time to have a show and I felt a little bad for the bands since nobody was there. Somehow with the place basically empty a fight still started between two morons moshing too.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
Motorhead did a last minute addition show in NH a few years ago and because they'd already played in new england a night or two before, almost nobody was there. I was maybe 15ft from the stage and absolutely nobody close enough to me to care about. Lemmy and Phil were slapping people five and poo poo, it was awesome. (I didn't get any fives slapped :( )

Redrum and Coke
Feb 25, 2006

Nergal (singer, Behemoth) is going to publish his autobiography. He released the first "trailer" of the book: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6QYPL4BagE

Yes, it looks like a Calvin Klein commercial...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

And it's just a little bit of Cretaceous Castle Magic

BjornOfBorg posted:

That's such a weird idea to me, since any Blind Guardian show anywhere near me would sell out pretty easily. And I'm not even talking about tiny venues either.

Yeah, no kidding. Every time I've seen Symphony X, they've been at or near capacity at The Opera House in Toronto, which holds 850. For that matter when I saw Blind Guardian at the Kool Haus on the tour with Holy Grail and Seven Kingdoms there had to have been at least 1500, and I'm probably low balling it (capacity is 2500 I think). Hell, the people who bothered to show up for Seven Kingdoms was bigger than the crowd in IRQ's picture.

I guess America is getting bored with nerdy as poo poo power metal.