Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

GrandpaPants posted:

Is anyone else annoyed that cards/sleeves aren't standardized to a greater degree? Having to get a specific sleeve size for a specific game (7 Wonders, FFG tiny cards, etc. :argh:) is really annoying. Trading cards used to be all one size, why can't my boardgame cards?

I have all these cool hard shell containers that can hold about 100 cards in each.

The freaking "Euro" cards are like 1-2mm too long for them. Makes me want to smash stuff.

Just use a universal playing size for cripes sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Speaking of, is there any way to get sleeves for those extra long Space Alert threat cards? Even those lovely Mayday ones.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Crackbone posted:

CSI/etc list it for ~$38 when in stock. I know it's not a huge difference, but by the same token getting it for less is getting it for less. If there's more stock coming from the reprint I'm not going to buy just so I can have it now.

When they get it in stock it may be like last time where it vanishes immediately. I just bought it on Amazon, it's been miserable to fin a copy for under $90. I could care less about $6

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Pierzak posted:

Speaking of, is there any way to get sleeves for those extra long Space Alert threat cards? Even those lovely Mayday ones.

The only thing that comes close are Mayday Platinum sleeves. They're exactly the right width, but too long. I just sleeved them myself (had to toss 20+ sleeves between base+expansion threat cards because they were too thin, lol Mayday), but don't have any good way of trimming them unfortunately; scissors are too imprecise, and my wheel slicer thing is pretty dull :v: If anyone has any ideas for that, they'd be appreciated!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

taser rates posted:

The only thing that comes close are Mayday Platinum sleeves. They're exactly the right width, but too long. I just sleeved them myself (had to toss 20+ sleeves between base+expansion threat cards because they were too thin, lol Mayday), but don't have any good way of trimming them unfortunately; scissors are too imprecise, and my wheel slicer thing is pretty dull :v: If anyone has any ideas for that, they'd be appreciated!

Steel ruler and scalpel. Doesn't everyone have those at home? :v:

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

taser rates posted:

The only thing that comes close are Mayday Platinum sleeves.

Yeah, I had been eyeing those for a long while but I never got around to trying them out because I'm too lazy to trim them and I have no idea how thick they are. I'd hate to spend money on standard thickness Mayday sleeves (they suck) instead of their premium thickness ones.

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Just realized I don't have enough sleeves for all of Netrunner. I guess that means we won't be playing anytime soon. Life is really difficult.

Edit: Oh wait, there aren't that many cards. Life is good again :unsmith:

Kiranamos fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Sep 12, 2012

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Redacted

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Apr 19, 2013

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Indolent Bastard posted:

What is with the sleeving mania? As long as I'm not eating finger foods while playing I don't have any issue keeping cards in good shape.

Games where you shuffle every 30 seconds tend to be rough on cards.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Indolent Bastard posted:

What is with the sleeving mania? As long as I'm not eating finger foods while playing I don't have any issue keeping cards in good shape.

A long history of playing Magic has caused me to develop a tic wherein I shuffle the cards in my hand for absolutely no reason. I mean, there was a reason in Magic, but there's no real reason in games like Dominion. This has a tendency to degrade card quality considerably.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Indolent Bastard posted:

Some games don't have quality card stock. No cards will hold up to shuffling indefinitely. I don't even want to think what my 7 Wonders cards would look like if I hadn't sleeved them. Also, as a Magic player, I have a mountain of old sleeves, so sleeving any standard sized cards is essentially just recycling stuff I had laying around.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

Indolent Bastard posted:

At least for me, it's because I want to extend the life of my cards and have an easier time shuffling sleeved cards.

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

A long history of playing Magic has caused me to develop a tic wherein I shuffle the cards in my hand for absolutely no reason. I mean, there was a reason in Magic, but there's no real reason in games like Dominion. This has a tendency to degrade card quality considerably.

Stopping myself from doing this was by far the hardest part of playing Bohnanza for me.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

MonsterUnderYourBed posted:

Stopping myself from doing this was by far the hardest part of playing Bohnanza for me.

I strongly dislike Bohnanza, at least in part because of the mechanic where you have to keep the contents of your hand in the correct order. It just really, really irks me.

That and I find the game is just generally frustrating to play.

Han Yolo
Feb 14, 2012

VoodooXT posted:

Yeah, I had been eyeing those for a long while but I never got around to trying them out because I'm too lazy to trim them and I have no idea how thick they are. I'd hate to spend money on standard thickness Mayday sleeves (they suck) instead of their premium thickness ones.

Fantasy Flight has a new tarot-size card sleeve sized at 70 x 120 mm. http://store.fantasyflightgames.com/productdetails.cfm?sku=FFS66 They're bigger than the Mayday sleeves but they should be higher quality. Plus, Fantasy Flight isn't a scummy company.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006

1Q84 posted:

Fantasy Flight has a new tarot-size card sleeve sized at 70 x 120 mm. http://store.fantasyflightgames.com/productdetails.cfm?sku=FFS66 They're bigger than the Mayday sleeves but they should be higher quality. Plus, Fantasy Flight isn't a scummy company.

I've known about those since they came out since I've been looking to replace my WotR sleeves. The bunch I got with my tin are all miscut.

hairrorist
Mar 29, 2011
Is there an appropriate place to ask if there's any interest in a fully painted brand new copy of Descent? I didn't see any game trade/sale thread, but it is very possible that I am an idiot.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

hairrorist posted:

Is there an appropriate place to ask if there's any interest in a fully painted brand new copy of Descent? I didn't see any game trade/sale thread, but it is very possible that I am an idiot.

1st or 2nd edition?

I don't think you're likely to find one that's fully painted to a quality that isn't "blind man throwing buckets at a wall" unless you commission it yourself (say, from PaintVagrant :v: ) (oh wait, he's not doing large commissions any more. Welp!)

bobvonunheil fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Sep 12, 2012

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

bobvonunheil posted:

1st or 2nd edition?

I don't think you're likely to find one that's fully painted to a quality that isn't "blind man throwing buckets at a wall" unless you commission it yourself (say, from PaintVagrant :v: ) (oh wait, he's not doing large commissions any more. Welp!)

If he's asking if anyone would be interested in it, then he's selling, not buying.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Jedit posted:

If he's asking if anyone would be interested in it, then he's selling, not buying.

Oops. I am a doofus.

Anyway, first part still stands. Not sure where you'd advertise it exactly, maybe BGG or EBay, there will probably be a bit of interest there.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

taser rates posted:

Yeah, I have a good way of trimming. My local copy/printing shop has a cutter set to a certain length. Cut the first sleeve to the exact size you want and then put then in 20s in a vise and cut to same size.

Monte Blood Bank
Dec 1, 2005

and we are faceless
you cannot attack us

take the money and then
run

hairrorist posted:

Put up a thread in SA mart and link us up, brah.

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth

hairrorist posted:

Just another hoodrep for the Board Game Trading Thread, too. Maybe worth mentioning it there.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I (think I) lost my first game of Twilight Struggle last night in the middle of turn two.

I lost track of the Defcon counter and suddenly realized I had Olympics and Korean War in my hand when the counter was on 2. I had no space race plays left and no way of not playing at least one of those cards.

Is it correct that I lost here? What happens if you just draw a hand with like four war cards in it and your opponent also has multiple war cards? Does this just create a random chance for the game to end early where you play chicken with each other and hope you aren't the one who gets stuck ending it and losing?

Other than the confusion on this point the game was really fun and my fiance and I figured it out pretty fast. I was worried it would be overly complicated but we both understood the general rules after just a few action rounds. Obviously some more specific stuff is still up in the air.

Another question I had was when placing the extra 6 or 7 points of influence you get at the beginning of the game, does that influence follow the rules about friendly nearby influence markers? Also when a card says you can "redistribute" influence, does this also follow the nearby rule?

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

systran posted:

I (think I) lost my first game of Twilight Struggle last night in the middle of turn two.

I lost track of the Defcon counter and suddenly realized I had Olympics and Korean War in my hand when the counter was on 2. I had no space race plays left and no way of not playing at least one of those cards.

Yeah, you lost. Always play your Defcon decreasing events first or throw them into space, cause they will only gently caress you over if the other person has one or more of them as well. Also remember to never play Missile Envy as your Headline and don't play it as a regular event if Defcon is at 2. My buddy stole my Olympic Games during a headline Missile Envy, but he didn't anticipate a Cuban Missile Crisis putting us on Defcon 2 immediately.

As far as I could tell, placing influence from events/start of game can be anywhere you want in the designated continents. Unless I've been playing it wrong.

hairrorist
Mar 29, 2011
NO SELLING OUTSIDE SA MART

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

systran posted:

Is it correct that I lost here? What happens if you just draw a hand with like four war cards in it and your opponent also has multiple war cards? Does this just create a random chance for the game to end early where you play chicken with each other and hope you aren't the one who gets stuck ending it and losing?

Other than the confusion on this point the game was really fun and my fiance and I figured it out pretty fast. I was worried it would be overly complicated but we both understood the general rules after just a few action rounds. Obviously some more specific stuff is still up in the air.

Another question I had was when placing the extra 6 or 7 points of influence you get at the beginning of the game, does that influence follow the rules about friendly nearby influence markers? Also when a card says you can "redistribute" influence, does this also follow the nearby rule?
I'm not a TS expert but I'm pretty sure Olympics is a neutral card, so you don't have to play the event (and would not have lost immediately).

Edit: Also, there aren't enough war cards to worry about the scenario you describe where each player has several. There are like eight war/defcon cards, spread across three eras.

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Sep 12, 2012

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

quote:

I'm pretty sure Olympics is a neutral card, so you don't have to play the event

Ahh... I forgot that rule. Glad it's this way because otherwise it was seeming too easy for the game to end due to draw of the cards.

Moogs
Jan 25, 2004

Proceeds the Weedian... Nazareth
Got the $37 Space Alert from Amazon today -- looks like it's branded as both Rio Grande and Czech Games, does this mean anything about the edition? It looks like some of them only have Czech Games.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Also in the latest version, War Cards should not decrease DEFCON value, only increase milops. See Korean War here.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Ah, I was wondering why war cards would degrade the DEFCON. I have the Deluxe version, so they changed the rules for that one?

Nitis
Mar 22, 2003

Amused? I think not.
Seriously?! Crime Lords for $100?!

I've had my copy sitting on my shelf for a long time, only breaking it out to play with a buddy that does funny mobster voices while we play.

This can't be real.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Seems so. I don't think I ever played the game with war cards decreasing DEFCON and I can't think it would be much fun since there are so many trap cards already present anyway.

Quidthulhu
Dec 17, 2003

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

I finally got to play some boardgames this weekend after having not played any since probably April. It was choir camp for the school I'm student teaching at so I of course packed a suitcase with 6 games in hopes of tricking some of my students into realizing board games are not lame and are actually super fun.

Didn't REALLY succeed, but I did get 3 people slightly hooked with 2/3rds of a game of Forbidden Island. What I did manage to do was hook the chaperones thanks to a game of Dixit. One of the couples actually had so much fun playing it that they're thinking about starting a weekly boardgame night at their place with their family and friends. They're gonna pick up Ticket to Ride and probably Dixit as well.

The power of boardgaming! If I was a real teacher I would convince some students to start a lunchtime boardgame club so I could always have people to play with. Someday!

EDIT: Also thanks to this weekend the itch is beginning again and I need to see what has come out in the last 6 months. And get some money. Because holy poo poo I want the Netrunner game and IT'S OUT!!!

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Moogs posted:

Got the $37 Space Alert from Amazon today -- looks like it's branded as both Rio Grande and Czech Games, does this mean anything about the edition? It looks like some of them only have Czech Games.

No one will be getting the really old rear end first edition new anymore. You can tell yours is ok because the third round card is a little board and the dice are black, among other things.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Kiranamos posted:

No one will be getting the really old rear end first edition new anymore. You can tell yours is ok because the third round card is a little board and the dice are black, among other things.
I think you're talking about Galaxy Trucker, not Space Alert.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
Played Netrunner with my girl, really liked it! I was the runner and she was the corp, we just played the basic starters, Shaper v Jinteki.

She seemed to run into some economy problems late game, whereas I had aesops pawnshop out and was hocking all of my poo poo to be rich as gently caress. It helped me a lot and I managed to make a run on a completely unrezzed server that had 2 ice. Got through both because she made the critical mistake of being low on credits, and I got to the 3-agenda that let me win, as I already had 2x2-agendas.

Super sweet, it took a long time but next game will go way faster, we had almost no rules questions at all by the end.

Now its just figuring out optimal strategies and digging into all the decks!

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Nitis posted:

Seriously?! Crime Lords for $100?!

I've had my copy sitting on my shelf for a long time, only breaking it out to play with a buddy that does funny mobster voices while we play.

This can't be real.

But see:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Illuminati-...=item2c679f0b45

hairrorist
Mar 29, 2011
I'd also appreciate any feedback on price for that painted Descent set. I've no idea what its worth or what is fair. Is that too high? Too low? Too poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gilgamesh
Nov 26, 2001

hairrorist posted:

I'd also appreciate any feedback on price for that painted Descent set. I've no idea what its worth or what is fair. Is that too high? Too low? Too poo poo?

A game with painted minis is worth more, but to a much much smaller set of people. I know a guy on BGG that gets commissioned to paint board game minis. You send them to him and he charges $7 each. So I don't think your price is too expensive if you don't mind waiting until the right buyer comes along.

Edit: Even if I had the desire and money, I wouldn't buy from your auction because you only show a sampling. I'd want to know exactly what I'm bidding on if I'm spending that much money. I'd want to see at the very least a picture of all the minis together. Plus you're selling a board game and you don't even show a picture of the box.

Gilgamesh fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Sep 13, 2012

• Locked thread