Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
That's a good point.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Oct 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I named her "shiv." I wanted her to act hard, yo, like she'd done time.

Defiance Industries fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Sep 12, 2012

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Defiance Industries posted:

Wouldn't this conflict with Shiva, though?

I forget, can summons be renamed in 9?

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

This may be a dumb question, but has anyone heard anything about plans to put the Anniversary edition of FF1 on the PSN? I really don't want to purchase a UMD this late in the PSP life cycle.

EDIT: It just really makes no sense to me that they would release it for the iOS/Android market but not on the PSN.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Sep 12, 2012

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

My sister named her 'ouch' because she thought the idea was Garnet cut herself on the dagger :3:

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Defiance Industries posted:

I called her Shiv too! Seemed appropriate given the lack of sharp weapons in her roster :banjo:

It's a shame we can't go back to the pre-VA days of RPGs where you can name people. In games where you have generic units you still can, of course. Or even just have it so the players are referred to as a nickname but you can choose their actual name.

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne even had the option of giving your characters a forename and surname

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Hedera Helix posted:

Wouldn't this conflict with Shiva, though?

I forget, can summons be renamed in 9?
Speaking of which, "Arc" was never seen in any another FF game, right?

One thing I can really imagine wanting for the next game is having an interconnected and cohesive world with expansive environments, such as FFXII or Xenoblade, but with an old school FF world map feel to it between the various locales (thinking anything FFI - IX), but instead of being a freakish giant, you're at a more realistic scale and there's that vivid green grass, rivers, looming huge mountains and oceans around you, and all the features we know about including kickass music you never get bored of, even years later. You know, mixing old with new. I can't help but think of Xenoblade's Gaur Plains as an example, and to a lesser extent, Dragon's Dogma (I've only seen videos though, so may be off there).

Talk about pie in the sky though :smith:

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

ImpAtom posted:

gently caress no, it's still a stupid scene in the Japanese version, but "well, make it foreign" isn't really a solution because that is what they did in the first place.

Japan has a thing for names. I mean, let's be honest here. Ever author has a thing for names. That's why we unironically have popular fantasy series with characters named Draco Malfoy. (spoiler alert: dude is an rear end in a top hat.) Japanese media, or at least certain forms of it, have an even bigger thing for cheesy-rear end name stuff. That is why we got a protagonist named Cloud Strife battling a guy named Sephiroth. It's why the love interests in FFX are effectively named Sun and Moon and battle a monster called Sin.

Almost every form of media has name symbolism. Why FFXIII's is stupid is that they literally have two characters sit around and discuss the symbolism behind their names in the stupidest and most hamfisted way possible. No amount of foreigning the names would change that because it's a bad scene at heart.

Well, it's also partly because there's an actual cultural aspect to it too. You know how everyone in the west loving loves tattoo of kanji, even when they don't necessarily know what it means or give a poo poo? It's pretty much the same thing. Using English denoties a certain style and coolness, hence why you see so much weird and irrelevant gibberish, even on simple things like a can of beer.

See that English text? Japanese people aren't reading that poo poo, it's more like a kind of graphic design element. It's not especially engrishy, sure, but it also doesn't match up with the actual Japanese down below it.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Yeah Dagger literally picked up a Dagger and then said "This is called a Dagger? Then I will name myself..." And you get a naming prompt.

Which is funny because you can type in literally anything and the whole scene falls apart

Well, that's true of a lot of the characters. You could also name Freya one of the names Zidane accidentally called her.

"Stacy?"
"Argh, no!"
"I'm just kidding, I know your name is...Stacy!"

Let's not even get into the stupid poo poo you could name Amarant. All I'll say is that I was 16 when it came out.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Japan? They love little flavor bits like that. The FF VII manual even lists each character's blood type.

You know that's not just a fluff thing, right? Blood types in Japanese culture. It's like a horoscope.

Zellyn fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Sep 12, 2012

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

If you've never done a 'Call every single character Sephiroth' run of FF7 you are missing out (on hours of nonsense conversations and confusing plot twists)

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Stoat posted:

If you've never done a 'Call every single character Sephiroth' run of FF7 you are missing out (on hours of nonsense conversations and confusing plot twists)

My real name's Zack, and boy let me tell ya, when I renamed Squall it made FF6 really funny!

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Stoat posted:

Just name them all DICK and it's even better.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
^ I recently named Aeris, "a hobo."

"sephiroth you killed a hobo"

Fister Roboto posted:

No that just means it didn't have a consistent tone. I mean it's all SERIOUS SERIOUS WE'RE JUST SLAVES ARGH I'M GONNA SHOOT MYSELF and then suddenly HAHAHA WACKY MASCOT CHARACTER SHENANIGANS. That's not to say that a serious story can't have comic relief, but to be good it needs to fit with the overall tone. You see that kind of inconsistent tone thing in a lot of anime, and FF13 just happens to be The Biggest Anime.
Yeah, for all of its gravity, poo poo like Breaking Bad has fantastic comic relief bits in. It's fantastic because it follows, though, and because it has consequences.

ApplesandOranges posted:

It might even be weirder if they didn't have a last name - it worked for FFX due to the whole doomwhale killing off people regularly so I guess parents getting killed off early was a bit of a given, but in most games where you presumably have societies and such, why wouldn't they have a last name?
They totally had last names. Seymour Guado, Kimahri Ronso. Yuna

Human :colbert:

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Sep 12, 2012

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Mister Roboto posted:

My real name's Zack, and boy let me tell ya, when I renamed Squall it made FF6 really funny!

:psyduck:

WeaponBoy posted:

You know that's not just a fluff thing, right? Blood types in Japanese culture. It's like a horoscope.

I'm aware of that, and... it's fluff. If Shulk from Xenoblade is an Aquarius, that still doesn't tell me anything about Shulk because blood types and astrological signs are fluff.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

The White Dragon posted:

They totally had last names. Seymour Guado, Kimahri Ronso. Yuna

Human :colbert:

I always assumed Braska was the family name, though it was weird that none of the human characters seemed to have surnames. I mean, the game had an entirely made up (and academically stupid) language based on symbol replacement, but no surnames?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

WeaponBoy posted:

Let's not even get into the stupid poo poo you could name Amarant. All I'll say is that I was 16 when it came out.

I named him Lips. EarthBound isn't the only one who can do musical references.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Last names in these games aren't a big deal to me anymore after finding out Cecil's last name is freaking Harvey.

So the sequel then gives you...Ceodore Harvey.

Fat Turkey
Aug 1, 2004

Gobble Gobble Gobble!
Have they ever spoken about the origin of the name Zidane? It may well be wishful thinking but based on when the game came out and how Korea and Japan were to hold the football World Cup, it feels like it should tie into the best footballer in the world at the time, Zinedine Zidane.

The name is Algerian so I guess there could have been a different influence from there, but the timing of it seems huge.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Fat Turkey posted:

Have they ever spoken about the origin of the name Zidane? It may well be wishful thinking but based on when the game came out and how Korea and Japan were to hold the football World Cup, it feels like it should tie into the best footballer in the world at the time, Zinedine Zidane.

The name is Algerian so I guess there could have been a different influence from there, but the timing of it seems huge.

I remember when it came out everyone I knew was convinced they named a blonde monkey man after Zinedine Zidane. Except in the French version of the game he's called... Djidane. If it was intended to be the football player I don't know why they'd change the name in his own country.

Also his japanese name was Jitan I don't even know what that's supposed to be mean

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
According to the Wikia

quote:

All spellings of Zidane's name are somewhat phonetically close to the French word "gitane", which means "gypsy", although this word is used for women. Vincent Zouzoulkovsky, lead translator of the French version of Final Fantasy IX, revealed in an interview that the change from the official spelling "Zidane" to the French spelling "Djidane" was done for the sole purpose of avoiding any misplaced association between the character and the French soccer player Zinedine Zidane.

Long before Final Fantasy IX, Hironobu Sakaguchi had already used the name ジタン; it was in the very first game he ever made, The Death Trap. ジタン is romanized "Gitanes" in The Death Trap and "Zidane" in Final Fantasy IX, but it is the same word in Japanese.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Polite Tim posted:

I always assumed Braska was the family name, though it was weird that none of the human characters seemed to have surnames. I mean, the game had an entirely made up (and academically stupid) language based on symbol replacement, but no surnames?

There was Yo Mika and Wen Kinoc, 2 of the 4 maesters.

Obviously only the extremely powerful and religious get surnames in Spira.

Although what does O'aka the XXIII count as?

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Idioteque Dance posted:

Speaking of which, "Arc" was never seen in any another FF game, right?

One thing I can really imagine wanting for the next game is having an interconnected and cohesive world with expansive environments, such as FFXII or Xenoblade, but with an old school FF world map feel to it between the various locales (thinking anything FFI - IX), but instead of being a freakish giant, you're at a more realistic scale and there's that vivid green grass, rivers, looming huge mountains and oceans around you, and all the features we know about including kickass music you never get bored of, even years later. You know, mixing old with new. I can't help but think of Xenoblade's Gaur Plains as an example, and to a lesser extent, Dragon's Dogma (I've only seen videos though, so may be off there).

Play Dragon Quest VIII, if you somehow haven't. But yes, I'd love to see this done again since it loving ruled.

Idioteque Dance
Jun 19, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

Wendell posted:

Play Dragon Quest VIII, if you somehow haven't. But yes, I'd love to see this done again since it loving ruled.
Good point, this is a great example. Just, for the love of god, with seamless battles instead of random battles. DQVIII was beautiful but the battles were a serious bummer. I'd just love to see that kind of thing with a bigger, more jaw-dropping scale (WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY) and a distinctly FF world map aesthetic.

Idioteque Dance fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Sep 12, 2012

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

Idioteque Dance posted:

Good point, this is a great example. Just, for the love of god, with seamless battles instead of random battles. DQVIII was beautiful but the battles were a serious bummer. I'd just love to see that kind of thing with a bigger, more jaw-dropping scale (WE HAVE THE TECHNOLOGY) and a distinctly FF world map aesthetic.

Dragon QUest IX does it! Hopefully DQX will do as well.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Idioteque Dance posted:

Both of the MMORPGs fit this criteria. :c00lbutt:

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

fount of knowledge posted:

Both of the MMORPGs fit this criteria. :c00lbutt:

XIV even has the bonus feature of all the rivers being copy-pasted, like a tileset! :v:*

*Until next year when they completely relaunch the game.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

The two hours I spent in XIV in late beta were literally the least fun I've ever had while playing a video game.

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

Stoat posted:

Having enough rename cards to name everyone KEFKA for his final speech in FFVI is pretty good too.

I could see FFVII's story making about the same amount of sense with everyone named Sephiroth...

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I'm aware of that, and... it's fluff. If Shulk from Xenoblade is an Aquarius, that still doesn't tell me anything about Shulk because blood types and astrological signs are fluff.

I heard it's more serious there, like employment discrimination for "lazy" blood types serious.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Japan? They love little flavor bits like that. The FF VII manual even lists each character's blood type.

Does blood type have some special significance in Japanese culture? They seem to do this in other games too (Street Fighter for example; I'm sure there are a lot of others).

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Ross posted:

Does blood time have some special significance in Japanese culture? They seem to do this in other games too (Street Fighter for example; I'm sure there are a lot of others).

It's considered an indicator of personality type and interpersonal compatibility much like astrological sign is in the West.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Boten Anna posted:

XIV even has the bonus feature of all the rivers being copy-pasted, like a tileset! :v:*

*Until next year when they completely relaunch the game.

What? They're not just gonna disown the drat thing? 11 already exists...

p.crestmont posted:

I heard it's more serious there, like employment discrimination for "lazy" blood types serious.

Myers-Briggs personality test-level serious, really.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pollyanna posted:

What? They're not just gonna disown the drat thing? 11 already exists...

Its getting a full relaunch and PS3 release. FFXI is also about 11-12 years old now so they're going to try to make FFXIV work. It is massively improved from launch and after the new upgrade will basically be a new game designed by the guy who should have been in charge in the first place.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Barudak posted:

Its getting a full relaunch and PS3 release. FFXI is also about 11-12 years old now so they're going to try to make FFXIV work. It is massively improved from launch and after the new upgrade will basically be a new game designed by the guy who should have been in charge in the first place.

Can you give me a couple sentences about what was so bad? I remember it was a panned universally at launch, but I never looked into it whatsoever after until I heard about SE apologizing profusely and saying they were going to fix it.

I did some googling and all I can find is "unfinished".

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Loving Life Partner posted:

Can you give me a couple sentences about what was so bad? I remember it was a panned universally at launch, but I never looked into it whatsoever after until I heard about SE apologizing profusely and saying they were going to fix it.

I did some googling and all I can find is "unfinished".

Basically it was FFXI at launch all over again which means no quests, no jobs, no skills, no cool areas, bad UI, and tons of grinding. Then the guy who made FFXI and FFXIV got fired and was replaced with the guy who fixed FFXI into a good game and now FFXIV is going to relaunch into what will probably be a good game.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
That's basically it. There wasn't a ton to do in the game, but once you hit later levels, there was NOTHING to do. That's the opposite of every mmo I can think of. Usually you tolerate the grind for the fun poo poo endgame players get access to.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Barudak posted:

Basically it was FFXI at launch all over again which means no quests, no jobs, no skills, no cool areas, bad UI, and tons of grinding. Then the guy who made FFXI and FFXIV got fired and was replaced with the guy who fixed FFXI into a good game and now FFXIV is going to relaunch into what will probably be a good game.

What's the good points of it? How would it compare to games like Guild Wars, WoW, etc.? What're draws of the system?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Loving Life Partner posted:

Ever since I had a call from Thor about his auto insurance, I'm 100% positive there are a few dozen Cloud's and Squall's running around out there.

Thor's an actual Scandinavian name, like Freya or Balder. If you ever meet anyone named Odin or Loki, though, those are just the children of vikaboos.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Pollyanna posted:

What's the good points of it? How would it compare to games like Guild Wars, WoW, etc.? What're draws of the system?

No classes - your equipment determines what you can do.

It's prettier than FFXI.

That's all I can think of. 2.0 is supposedly a different beast entirely, and one I know nothing about.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
FFXIV A Realm Reborn looks seriously awesome, though.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I'm going to assume that when FFXIV is finally launched for reals it's going to be a good game. If only because there's no way Square didn't notice the backlash.

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

No classes - your equipment determines what you can do.

It's probably more accurate to say what weapon you're using at the moment determines your class.

One thing I liked when I played it a little in beta was that crafting had its own classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Wide open customization and big emphasis on deep crafting, I eat that poo poo up, I EAT. IT. UP.

I may check it out if it has a trial or something, but needless to say WoW's takeover pissed me off at least with regards to crafting. There should be some experimentation, some danger of loss, and some fun in crafting, not just taking a grocery list of items and hitting "Craft!" and TADA!