Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Honestly, I've never really gotten all the love for Soule. His TA soundtrack was pretty good, I suppose, but it seems like a lot of his stuff is boring as hell. For every game soundtrack he's involved in I think I actually like about a quarter of the music or less.

Also the guy they have composing is the guy who did the Supreme Commander music, which I thought was pretty decent if a little boring compared to Forest green.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

I just put down $50 because this seems to be one of the kinds of RTS's I'll utterly adore. Just like TA, Spring and SupCom.

Orbital drops here I come :unsmigghh:

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

Giggily posted:

Honestly, I've never really gotten all the love for Soule. His TA soundtrack was pretty good, I suppose, but it seems like a lot of his stuff is boring as hell. For every game soundtrack he's involved in I think I actually like about a quarter of the music or less.

Also the guy they have composing is the guy who did the Supreme Commander music, which I thought was pretty decent if a little boring compared to Forest green.
Uh, the Supreme Commander music was Soule as well- one of the big reasons people want him is that he's a significant part of the experience people had with TA and SC.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
$1,799.004

I think Galactic war is a thing.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
It is now.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
That's mildly disturbing.

a cock shaped fruit
Aug 23, 2010

The true enemy of humanity is disorder.

Baloogan posted:

It is now.

I shook hands with that man, before he was a giant planet sized head.

Stretch goal $3,000,000 Scathis Planets :getin:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
Any speculation on when they will release the first alpha?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

sarmhan posted:

Uh, the Supreme Commander music was Soule as well- one of the big reasons people want him is that he's a significant part of the experience people had with TA and SC.

Jeremy Soule is WAAAAY more high profile and expensive now than he was in his TA days. They simply can't afford him, there is no way. When you're working with a $2 million budget, you're forced to pinch pennies. That means going with the reliable in-house guy over the extravagant and expensive option.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Baloogan posted:

It is now.

Planetary documentary...is that like the review you get at the end of Civ 4?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Just Offscreen posted:

No, it's a documentary film they want to make about the creation of the game.

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Just Offscreen posted:

No, it's not. But now that you mention it, I wish it would be! Having a 'historical progress' kind of map at the end of such a type of game is always really satisfying.

Wingless
Mar 3, 2009

Even as someone that works in film, I have to say it seems pretty stupid to spend a chunk of your budget making a documentary about your game. Surely a second faction, a single-player campaign, professional beta-testers, proprietary license fees (like for physics coding or netcode?)...or anything that would actually make the game better would be, uhm, better?

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Wingless posted:

Even as someone that works in film, I have to say it seems pretty stupid to spend a chunk of your budget making a documentary about your game. Surely a second faction, a single-player campaign, professional beta-testers, proprietary license fees (like for physics coding or netcode?)...or anything that would actually make the game better would be, uhm, better?

I dunno. From a marketing perspective I would think it's an investment actually, considering it's important to get content out there that people want to see if they want to convert them to customers, they are still selling this game after all.

It's especially important from an engagement perspective as well, they've just asked for goodwill from gamers to get their project started. You've got to be able to return the favour by showing them what you're doing with all their money, otherwise the Kickstarter well will start to dry up for future projects.

Stalkerr
Jun 10, 2012

So I just realized that the miniatures I'm supposed to get are unpainted. This makes me sad, because I am a horrible painter. I might as well just dunk them in a solid color and get it over with.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

sarmhan posted:

Oh. Well, the only SupCom song I actually really liked was its theme. I just got a mod that played the TA OST in game instead. I actually liked the trailer music way more than anything on the SupCom OST, too.

Wingless posted:

The entire idea of the stretch goal is that all that is already paid for. Most people don't want a second faction, Galactic War is our single player campaign, and I'm sure actual beta testers and liscence fees were included in the base 900k.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug

Maluco Marinero posted:

I dunno. From a marketing perspective I would think it's an investment actually, considering it's important to get content out there that people want to see if they want to convert them to customers, they are still selling this game after all.

It's especially important from an engagement perspective as well, they've just asked for goodwill from gamers to get their project started. You've got to be able to return the favour by showing them what you're doing with all their money, otherwise the Kickstarter well will start to dry up for future projects.

"So, the first thing we did was to buy a swimming pool for the office, to boost morale. Then, we poured the rest of the money into it and made like Scrooge McDuck."

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

Stalkerr posted:

So I just realized that the miniatures I'm supposed to get are unpainted. This makes me sad, because I am a horrible painter. I might as well just dunk them in a solid color and get it over with.
Dip it in chrome and pretend it's a CORE commander.

Stalkerr
Jun 10, 2012

Lprsti99 posted:

"So, the first thing we did was to buy a swimming pool for the office, to boost morale. Then, we poured the rest of the money into it and made like Scrooge McDuck."

I'm almost certain that, if this were a kickstarter, it would get funded. It really hits the novelty factor.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

They're doing some livestream thing:

http://www.twitch.tv/uberchannel

edit: I guess it's mostly over now, welp!

edit edit: or not who knows!

Kaboobi fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Sep 13, 2012

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed
Looks like they might just hit the Orchestral stretch yet!

Shorter Than Some
May 6, 2009

rear end-Haggis posted:

Looks like they might just hit the Orchestral stretch yet!

I think they probably already have, when you add in the Paypal donations.

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed

Shorter Than Some posted:

I think they probably already have, when you add in the Paypal donations.

poo poo, you may be right. This is seriously going to be a massive timesink for me once it hits.

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

This is getting pretty awesome.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

They're definitely gonna hit 2M, 2.1M may be tight though.

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!
I feel like this game's already going to have everything I could have wanted. All the extra planets, death stars, a procedurally generated single/multi campaign. Getting to hear a full blown orchestra ramp up as your rocket strapped asteroid careens into the enemy's homeworld is just icing on the cake.

wjs5
Aug 22, 2009
Welp 2M hit I wonder how much they have in paypal... as thay may be enough to hit the last goal if the main kickstarter amount doesnt.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

They've hit 2mil, 14 hours to go and they're already 12k towards 2.1mil so I'd say they might just make it, especially given the probable Paypal money.

This is pretty exciting and should ensure they can make a really polished game.

bradsh
Sep 17, 2007
titles are overrated
Can't decide if alpha is worth it. The SupCom Alpha was almost ridiculously unplayable. Although the launch version of SupCom really felt like a beta and had major issues so....

bradsh
Sep 17, 2007
titles are overrated

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Jeremy Soule is WAAAAY more high profile and expensive now than he was in his TA days. They simply can't afford him, there is no way. When you're working with a $2 million budget, you're forced to pinch pennies. That means going with the reliable in-house guy over the extravagant and expensive option.

Not only that but he sucks. He didn't conduct the orchestra or direct anything for TA, he only wrote the music and then someone else actualized it. The SupCom soundtrack was not even a real orchestra and was generally mediocre. Oblivion was pretty unremarkable too. Soule is all tapped out :(

I can already tell you I like the music in the PA trailer better than literally everything Soule did for SupCom. So let this new guy loving SHINE with his real orchestra. gently caress Soule.

bradsh fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Sep 14, 2012

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Alpha versions are almost guaranteed to make you not want to touch a game until release, FWIW.

Thoom
Jan 12, 2004

LUIGI SMASH!

bradsh posted:

Soule is all tapped out :(

Counterpoint: some of the music he did for Guild Wars 2 is flat out amazing.

I do like the trailer music though, so as long as the music in game is similarly good, I'll be happy.

Mr. Samuel Shitley
Jun 15, 2007

by XyloJW
I kind of wish they would look up Tim Wright or CoLD SToRAGE or whatever he goes by to do this, his soundtrack to the original Colony Wars seems like it would fit right in this sort of thing. I've never played TA or whatever so I'm not real familiar with the music but CW's soundtrack has a definite grand-scale warfare feel to it. I'm sure updated to the modern day with a real orchestra it would be unbelievable.

for example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SPZgyJCgHw&t=40s

or sort of downtempo exploration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3VOj77QI4w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohHeYyJzhVE

Keep in mind that this came out in like 96 so it has a bit of a 90's patina to it.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Get the guy from Freedom Fighters and Red Alert.

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no
Jesper Kyd (Freedom Fighters, Hitman, Assassin's Creed) might be the only guy out there more expensive than Jeremy Soule. He's also about a hundred times better though, so the best thing to do is make it a 3 million dollar stretch goal and hope for a miracle.

Luitpold
Aug 2, 2009
Talking of excrement ...
I'm impartial to Paul Ruskay, Basil Poledouris would be great too, in my opinion.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
They just reached Planetary Documentary through kickstarter funds alone with 5 hours to go. It should be fun to watch at some point.

Stoney
Sep 1, 2008
If anyone wants to save $5, the $15 tier is opening every few minutes as folks up their pledges to a higher tier.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

As a note: They also mentioned multiple times that the game will be more expensive after the kickstarter, I'm guessing a $30 release price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Thoom posted:

Counterpoint: some of the music he did for Guild Wars 2 is flat out amazing.

I do like the trailer music though, so as long as the music in game is similarly good, I'll be happy.

And some of the other music he did for it sounds almost identical to Oblivion. In fact that was the first thing I thought when I first heard the music in the game. Dude has his moments (the one you linked is good), but overall he's a pretty serious hack and I kind of dread whenever I find out he's making the music for a game.

• Locked thread