Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

broom
Aug 29, 2005

Splizwarf posted:

I can't wait, everyone in the house likes it. :dance:

Did you find it ahead of the distribution wave or should I head to the store tonight?

I got it in Wisconsin last Thursday. I thought founders usually took a while to get to us?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Might be I've either missed it or it's been sold out at our local beershop, I do live quite a bit closer than you. v:downs:v

e: derp, no I don't, it comes from Michigan.

Splizwarf fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Sep 17, 2012

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Splizwarf posted:

Might be I've either missed it or it's been sold out at our local beershop, I do live quite a bit closer than you. v:downs:v

Historically, this stuff has come in waves by me. The first batch doesn't sit around for long, but a month later, it's everywhere.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

danbanana posted:

crazyfish, add this to your list of "awesome" right now:

"10 times as much will be available in Chicago"

Maybe this means more than one bottle for me this year...

Awesome. Gonna buy a case...

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Looks like Enigma is the seasonal release from new glarus this year. Can't wait to crack this open, I've never tried it before. Super fresh as well, just came in on Monday.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

It's under the Thumbprint series now, right? Did they just start using that instead of Unplugged?

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003
Yeah, Thumbprint is the "new" Unplugged.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

I Dont Like You posted:

Yeah, Thumbprint is the "new" Unplugged.

Really? I thought they were different series?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
This beer is very good. Not as good as Raspberry Tart but close. Lots of tart cherry taste. I hear they might be brewing the Apple Ale again this year. Can't wait to try it. I've only been drinking micro brews for the last six months so I didn't get a chance to try these last year.

Also, no way this is 5.5% like BA lists it as. I'm thinking more like 7-9%.

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 14, 2012

I Dont Like You
Jul 6, 2003

danbanana posted:

Really? I thought they were different series?

Well, it's the same in spirit, I suppose. Just a different title and different label.

Also, really hoping that the ramped up production of BCBS means that I can land more than a single this year (still haven't cracked mine open, heh. Saw a single of it sitting at Whole Foods next to a lone bottle of King Henry and didn't grab both, just the KH... I know, I am an idiot.). Just one 4-pack would be nice..

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Founders Breakfast Stout is literally the perfect stout. I'll loving cut anyone that disagrees.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Woo picked up Founders Breakfast Stout, this will be my first time trying it! Also got a 4 pack of the latest BCS. Almost more interestingly though, my dad and I realized that he still has 1 bottle of the '09 (I think) that we'll be able to compare it to! I bought it for his birthday all those years ago and he totally forgot about the last bottle in the back of the basement fridge! Should be fun to compare them.

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008

danbanana posted:

And tonight I ran into the first Founders Breakfast Stouts of the year. Seriously a perfect beer.

I'm fairly new to "good" beer. I picked up a growler of FBS from a local shop about a month ago. Everyone saying it's just now being released makes me think it wasn't recently brewed. Is this true or are release dates very different depending on what part of the country you're in?

Edit: Also, does it even matter if it was from a previous brew and not recent?

AHugeDickhead fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Sep 14, 2012

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

RHIN0002 posted:

I'm fairly new to "good" beer. I picked up a growler of FBS from a local shop about a month ago. Everyone saying it's just now being released makes me think it wasn't recently brewed. Is this true or are release dates very different depending on what part of the country you're in?

Edit: Also, does it even matter if it was from a previous brew and not recent?

Yeah different batches go to different markets.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
I keep getting confused and think that people talking about BCS are referring to Brooklyn's Black Chocolate Stout, which is a fantastic loving beer, by the way.

Drinking a Honkers Ale currently. I stand by my previous statement: this is more ESB than GI's Harvest. And it turns out it actually is an ESB, which I was not aware of but am delighted to know. Might have to see what the case prices are around here. Or maybe invest in a keg...

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Munkaboo posted:

Yeah different batches go to different markets.

also think kegs might have preceded bottles in some markets.

got a lovely box from Sirotan that included, among other things, some Brewery Vivant Escoffier, a collaboration with New Belgium labeled as a "bretta ale." more siginificantly, it is 9.25%ABV and in a can. a good dose of brett funk and dryness with really complex fruit flavors make for a pretty tasty beverage, and the fact that the can says to age up to five years... well, it's a shame the NB version will be a dead beer, because i'd to sit on a few and that's the only way i'm likely to get a bunch.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Kraven Moorhed posted:

I keep getting confused and think that people talking about BCS are referring to Brooklyn's Black Chocolate Stout, which is a fantastic loving beer, by the way.

Correct. A fantastic loving beer... But there's no comparison. Besides being one of the most influential American beers ever, Bourbon County is on a level pretty much by itself...

But they kicked the keg at the Spoke ten (10!) minutes before I got there. Was forced to drink a few drafts of Parabola instead. Life is hard sometimes...

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

funkybottoms posted:

Brewery Vivant

Word was that their expansion included distro to the Chicago area starting in September. I was excited for that given their rep, but haven't heard anything in months...

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

danbanana posted:

Word was that their expansion included distro to the Chicago area starting in September. I was excited for that given their rep, but haven't heard anything in months...

So do you think they are good enough to warrant excitement? When I had their stuff (canned from GR) I was meh. Of course, Belgians are incredibly hit or miss for me. But over 3 types I didn't have much interest.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

ChiTownEddie posted:

So do you think they are good enough to warrant excitement? When I had their stuff (canned from GR) I was meh. Of course, Belgians are incredibly hit or miss for me. But over 3 types I didn't have much interest.

I haven't had anything from them! But I've heard rumblings from people in MI who say it's one of the best breweries in the state and it is- in my opinion- the best beer state in the country. There's plenty of opportunities to disappoint (like Sixpoint did for me when we got them), but I'm still pumped to try.

Completely unrelated except for my multiple posts regarding them: Dieu Du Ciel does brilliant work. At $5-ish a 12 oz, I was worried about some of their bottled offerings living up to Peche Mortel, but "Equinoxe du printemps" is a great Scotch ale and Solstice D'Hiver may be the best standard (non-BA'd) barley wine I've ever had. Great stuff.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

danbanana posted:

I haven't had anything from them! But I've heard rumblings from people in MI who say it's one of the best breweries in the state and it is- in my opinion- the best beer state in the country. There's plenty of opportunities to disappoint (like Sixpoint did for me when we got them), but I'm still pumped to try.

Ahh gotcha, coolio then. I wouldn't want my opinion to discourage anyone, we've all got different tastes, eh? And as you say, better to have the distro and be disappointed than never know. Who knows, maybe I just wasn't feelin Belgians when I tried them the first time. (I remember a lot of TOO sweet, which for me is a pretty low threshold)

My buddy moved to Grand Rapids recently, can't wait to visit. So much goodness to be had.

ChiTownEddie fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Sep 14, 2012

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Vertigo posted:

Local bottle shop got in the Lost Abbey Red Poppy and Betta Bretta(or whatever it is) for $25/bottle. Is that worth the price?
Red Poppy: depends on the year. If it's this year's or 2011, no. If it's 2010 maybe, I thought it was pretty good. If by some miracle you have found some 2008 or 2009 buy loving all of it.

Mo Betta Bretta: no. It's a solid beer, nothing wrong with it, but it's not worth $25 by any stretch.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

ChiTownEddie posted:

Ahh gotcha, coolio then. I wouldn't want my opinion to discourage anyone, we've all got different tastes, eh? And as you say, better to have the distro and be disappointed than never know. Who knows, maybe I just wasn't feelin Belgians when I tried them the first time. (I remember a lot of TOO sweet, which for me is a pretty low threshold)

My buddy moved to Grand Rapids recently, can't wait to visit. So much goodness to be had.

TBH, their regular canned lineup, while pretty decent, is really nothing to get worked up about (I think I like the Solitude best out of those), and their "brewer's reserve" releases (limited-run cannings of some of their seasonals?) can be really hit or miss. The hits have been really good though (Big Red Coq, Tripel, Trebuchet), and there's a ton of stuff they put out at the brewery that never gets packaged. They had a nitro milk stout a few months ago that was easly the equal of Left Hand's, and some of the wood-aged stuff they've done has been fantastic.

I'd say if you come up to GR to visit, stop by the brewery and try a flight where you can select all your beers. Note that they also typically tap an experimental firkin every Friday afternoon as well.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

FBS also spotted in NOVA. There's a fuckton of it. Very good stuff indeed :cheers:

Lucked out and got another Tart of Darkness as well; totally was NOT expecting to see that one sitting on a store shelf.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

air- posted:

FBS also spotted in NOVA. There's a fuckton of it. Very good stuff indeed :cheers:

Lucked out and got another Tart of Darkness as well; totally was NOT expecting to see that one sitting on a store shelf.

think i said this last year, but it's crazy to see people worried about enough FBS getting to their area. it's a favorite of mine, so i get why people are excited, but i swear i could still find bottles from last year a few months back. on the opposite end, i, too, was surprised that a shop up the street still had ToD the other day, but it was only because they got a second case (that someone else decided was too expensive) a week after the initial excitement. if i was dying to drop another $40 i'd snatch a few more up.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

danbanana posted:

I've yet to actually go to their tap room but based on what I've had that they've put into distro (almost everything so far except for a couple of the limited releases), I dunno that I could call them one of the best in Michigan yet. Then again, they have some really stiff competition here for that kind of honor.

I grabbed a bunch of cans of the Bretta Ale they did with New Belgium, as well as a 4-pack of some kind of honey ale that was a limited release. Hoping for some better luck with those.

I'm still mad that my hometown of Grand Rapids didn't turn into anything resembling a beer town until after I moved away from it. :mad:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

air- posted:

Grabbed us a couple 4-packs yesterday and that's going to be my night tonight. :allears:

nominal
Oct 13, 2007

I've never tried dried apples.
What are they?
Pork Pro
People in this town are nuts. I found some neglected Breakfast Stout from last year at a hole-in-the-wall liquor store as recently as a month ago. It keeps up pretty well, I thought. I think I like the coffee taste in the fresh stuff a little better, though. It seems a little more bold.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

nominal posted:

People in this town are nuts. I found some neglected Breakfast Stout from last year at a hole-in-the-wall liquor store as recently as a month ago. It keeps up pretty well, I thought. I think I like the coffee taste in the fresh stuff a little better, though. It seems a little more bold.

That's usually the case with coffee-based beers: the coffee-forward flavor mellows with time.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Finally had time to stop by a bottle shop here and whoooaaa compared to TX I'm in heaven. JP and Lost Abbey and Alesmith and Russian River and my beloved Southern Tier and 21st Amendment? Sure I'll take all of the above please!

I wouldn't mind having FBS right now but I'll just have to cry myself to bed with Speedway Stout instead :smug:

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
I just want to say that the Firestone Walker Facebook page just confirmed to me that they are going to start selling sour beers under the name "Barrelworks", and that more info is coming soon. I'm loving excited.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Splizwarf posted:

Grabbed us a couple 4-packs yesterday and that's going to be my night tonight. :allears:

I wish Founder's was in CA :(

I've never had Breakfast Stout, but we had KBS and the rest of the regular Founder's lineup for a limited 45 day distribution license last year.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Looked for some KBS tonight on my way home from work at Binny's and while they didn't have that, I did get a 4 pack of the Goose Island Bourbon County Stout :w00t:

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

americanzero4128 posted:

Looked for some KBS tonight on my way home from work at Binny's and while they didn't have that, I did get a 4 pack of the Goose Island Bourbon County Stout :w00t:

It's absurd how much more of it they released this year. My local store had eight cases on the floor when I got my one allotted four pack, and I'm not sure how many cases they went through before I arrived. Then I drove to a different store and picked up one there as well.

edit: It will all still be gone by the end of the day.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer

crazyfish posted:

It's absurd how much more of it they released this year. My local store had eight cases on the floor when I got my one allotted four pack, and I'm not sure how many cases they went through before I arrived. Then I drove to a different store and picked up one there as well.

I had to ask a manager for it, they didn't have any on the floor. I am guessing they didn't have much left because I saw a few empty cases and that was it; no signs or anything. I did also sample some Oskar Blues at the Binny's I went to. Pretty solid beers, nothing earth shattering but pretty good. The G'Knight Imperial Red was my favorite out of them all. The Oskar Blues rep was cool as hell. Gave me a bunch of stickers and coasters.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

crazyfish posted:

Aren't they going to be just releasing it year round now thanks to A-B?

Seems like eventually the demand would die down. We never get BCS in California. The only GI beers we get are Matilda and Pepe Nero as far as I can tell.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Angry Grimace posted:

That's the rumor given the giant barrel house they bought, but I would think it'd be a year or two before that got rolling.

Snagged a four pack at a suburban store this morning. Even with the increased production, people are still hiding it in the back and limiting purchasing. And Beermenus is showing some places still gouging at $9 a bottle...

Vertigo
Jul 15, 2002

Thanks for the tips guys. I'll be passing on the Red Poppy and Betta Bretta at those prices.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Actual sign behind the bar at Hamilton's last night: "5th anniversary shirts on sale $10. Women's any size, men's small and medium only."

Ladies and gentlemen, beer culture demographics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Angry Grimace posted:

Seems like eventually the demand would die down. We never get BCS in California. The only GI beers we get are Matilda and Pepe Nero as far as I can tell.

When I first got into craft beer I bought a bottle of BCBS at Beverages 4 Less. I had no clue it was something I'd have trouble finding - nor do I imagine I was versed well enough in the art of brewing to appreciate what I had. But, yeah, it makes it around here.