Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thelonius Van Funk
Apr 7, 2007
Oh boy
"What I'm doing right now is called killing. It's probably the top thing you can do"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HateTheInternet
Dec 19, 2004

He just put the kibosh on me, do you know what the kibosh means, it's a kibosh!

DangerKat posted:

It happens to me from time to time on other albums with bad laughs but this is by far the worst.

There's a woman on Amy Schumer's album that nearly ruins it for me. Also, Bill Hicks' Rant in E Minor is a nearly perfect comedy album if it weren't for this one dude's obnoxious Barney Rubble laugh throughout.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Can someone point me to an amazing bit by Kurt Braunholer? I want to see if there's something I'm missing, since so many great comedians are friends with him and I just don't see it.

Analytic Engine fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Sep 4, 2012

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
To all fans of comedy: Rob Delanley's album is out on his website for $5. Get it or something.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Can anyone explain what the gently caress is supposed to be funny about Sam Kinison?

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

manyak posted:

Can anyone explain what the gently caress is supposed to be funny about Sam Kinison?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhh

DerbyTime!!!
Dec 17, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

manyak posted:

It seems to me likely to be one of those things where it's dependent upon being shocking in a way that it was then but isn't now. It's not a bad thing, but it's not as hilarious to me as I imagine it is for older people who can remember what the public discourse context was like when Kinison was performing. Or maybe I'm dumb.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Chelsea Peretti is going to be in Tacoma but I have no way to get there. :( drat my lack of transportation.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

DerbyTime!!! posted:

It seems to me likely to be one of those things where it's dependent upon being shocking in a way that it was then but isn't now. It's not a bad thing, but it's not as hilarious to me as I imagine it is for older people who can remember what the public discourse context was like when Kinison was performing. Or maybe I'm dumb.

This, and he kinda paved the way for Bill Hicks and every other shouty, angry comic. I don't like Kinison's stuff much myself, but he was undoubtedly an important influence.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

I'll always love standup as entertainment, but it has this truly amazing quality that comes out when you view it as an artform. The "artistic" impact of a comedian absolutely depends on their viewer's culture and exposure to preceding comics (who may or may not have influenced the performer), and so every performance remains unique. A comic that transcends the ages is much rarer than a musician who does so. I agree with Paul F Tompkins that you really have to see a standup live to fully evaluate their work.

In this way, we can appreciate that Carlin & Kinison etc. were "good" without finding them especially funny in today's world.

This just makes me want to see more live standup! Maybe our kids will be asking us why our favorite comedians were ever considered fumny?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Analytic Engine posted:

I'll always love standup as entertainment, but it has this truly amazing quality that comes out when you view it as an artform. The "artistic" impact of a comedian absolutely depends on their viewer's culture and exposure to preceding comics (who may or may not have influenced the performer), and so every performance remains unique. A comic that transcends the ages is much rarer than a musician who does so. I agree with Paul F Tompkins that you really have to see a standup live to fully evaluate their work.

In this way, we can appreciate that Carlin & Kinison etc. were "good" without finding them especially funny in today's world.

This just makes me want to see more live standup! Maybe our kids will be asking us why our favorite comedians were ever considered fumny?

Yeah, I've seen plenty of people wondering why Vic Reeves and Bob Mortimer were ever considered a big deal, whereas to me they were a breath of (weird) fresh air when they started showing up on TV in the early 90s. Sadly they're also the point of origin for stuff I loathe like The Mighty Boosh, but it can't really be helped.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Analytic Engine posted:

I agree with everything you've said here except for the implication that some people may not find Carlin funny in today's world.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Chelsea Peretti is going to be in Tacoma but I have no way to get there. :( drat my lack of transportation.

Her act is pretty good from what I hear.

DerbyTime!!!
Dec 17, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post

LesterGroans posted:

I agree with everything you've said here except for the implication that some people may not find Carlin funny in today's world.

Yep, this. Early Carlin sure, not everyone's as goofy as me, but Carlin's 'newer' stuff was incredible and I don't understand not loving it.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

i love it when you call me big poppa
I've shown people Carlin and Pryor to next to no reaction before. People have just aped their style and subject matter so much that I guess if a casual comedy fan can't put it into proper context it doesn't really resonate with them?

DerbyTime!!!
Dec 17, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Makes sense, I guess I just found my blind spot.

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

One of the stand ups that people always blow off to me is Eddie Murphy. It blows my mind that people don't like or laugh during RAW. Eddie is at his apex. Its bootiful

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I can understand maybe not wanting to listen to people like Eddie Murphy or George Carlin. Carlin kind of turned into a rambling, grumpy old man in the end, and that wasn't for everyone. Eddie Murphy is currently about as far away as anyone can be from classic Eddie Murphy. So I can get people not thinking their old stuff would be very good. While he's not it the same tier, I was the same with Bob Saget because I grew up watching Full House and AFV. But liking them after watching them baffles me completely.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

Politicalrancor posted:

One of the stand ups that people always blow off to me is Eddie Murphy. It blows my mind that people don't like or laugh during RAW. Eddie is at his apex. Its bootiful

I was actually going to mention him in my post about showing people pantheon comics and having them not like them. I guess his poo poo has been done to death by the people that came after him, too.

Jay Mohr told a story about working with him on Pluto Nash and doing Eddie's classic bits for him and Eddie being like "Yeah that's funny, whose joke is that?"

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Eddie Murphy was hysterical in his old stand up bits, but at the same time I can totally understand not wanting to watch them at all these days just for the simple fact of how loving homophobic they are. Every other thing said is faggots this, or sucking a dick that. It can get really uncomfortable.

edit:I mean poo poo, the very beginning of Delirious is Murphy just talking about how he walks around so faggots can't look at his rear end, and how his biggest fear is Mr T being a human being who wants to gently caress him in the rear end.

The_Rob fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Sep 14, 2012

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
The thing is even though Im a younger Boy i can still go back and find Carlin, and Eddie Murphy and even like Lenny Bruce really funny so I understand the whole thing with comedy aging. Some guys are still funny even after all these years and people aping their style. But I cant imagine ever being like drat, this Sam Kinison bit is insanely funny even if it was new

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3zXsQ5QBfk

This poo poo sucks so hard

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

manyak posted:

The thing is even though Im a younger Boy i can still go back and find Carlin, and Eddie Murphy and even like Lenny Bruce really funny so I understand the whole thing with comedy aging. Some guys are still funny even after all these years and people aping their style. But I cant imagine ever being like drat, this Sam Kinison bit is insanely funny even if it was new

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3zXsQ5QBfk

This poo poo sucks so hard

Yeah Kinison is one of those guys who when I was younger I loved him. I think it was because I was a huge Howard Stern fan and Stern always talked highly of the guy. So when I got older, and really started listening to his stuff, I just remember thinking wow this is really just not good.

DannoMack
Aug 1, 2003

Yeah I remember watching a video of Kinison on Letterman for the first time thinking I was about to see some major piece of comedy history and being really really disappointed. I laughed out loud at a Carrot Top set at Just for Laughs once, I'm REALLY easy to entertain... Kinison sucks.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I remember liking Kinison the first time I heard him when I was, like, 17. My parents showed me an old tape of him on some HBO stand up show or something. His set was short, and reasonably funny, so it never got tiresome.

I've tried to listen to him since, and I just can't do it. He has 3 jokes, and they are screaming, swearing, and screaming swears.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

SpacePig posted:

I remember liking Kinison the first time I heard him when I was, like, 17. My parents showed me an old tape of him on some HBO stand up show or something. His set was short, and reasonably funny, so it never got tiresome.

I've tried to listen to him since, and I just can't do it. He has 3 jokes, and they are screaming, swearing, and screaming swears.

Also racism and Misogyny.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I think the issue with Kinison is that Hicks basically does a very similar act, but does it with more jokes. If you've seen Hicks then Kinison is an anticlimax.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Kinison revolutionized saying things loudly.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

The_Rob posted:

Also racism and Misogyny.

Oh, right. I remember now that one of the only jokes of his I can remember is him yelling "MARLBORO! MARLBORO! SMOKEY-SMOKEY!" because a Hispanic or Indian (I can't remember) convenience store worker couldn't find his cigarettes. He probably also was a horrible misogynist, but I don't think I ever made it that far into a bit.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

DannoMack posted:

I laughed out loud at a Carrot Top set at Just for Laughs once, I'm REALLY easy to entertain... Kinison sucks.

Carrot Top gets a lot of poo poo but he's actually a really funny stand up.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

-Atom- posted:

Carrot Top gets a lot of poo poo but he's actually a really funny stand up.

I've heard this from time to time, and I feel bad talking poo poo without having more than a few minutes of gag material to judge him by. Could you point me in the direction of something to watch?

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything

BobTheCow posted:

I've heard this from time to time, and I feel bad talking poo poo without having more than a few minutes of gag material to judge him by. Could you point me in the direction of something to watch?

Honestly, I was just walking around the Luxor in Vegas and some guy offered me free tickets to his show. Much like everyone else I was pretty hesitant and wasn't expecting much, but I was amazed on how funny and quick he was with the audience.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

-Atom- posted:

Honestly, I was just walking around the Luxor in Vegas and some guy offered me free tickets to his show. Much like everyone else I was pretty hesitant and wasn't expecting much, but I was amazed on how funny and quick he was with the audience.

Does he do 100% props, or does he mix in monologue comedy?

From his WTF interview there seems to be a standup sidekick opening for him; was he any good either?

Politicalrancor
Jan 29, 2008

The_Rob posted:

Eddie Murphy was hysterical in his old stand up bits, but at the same time I can totally understand not wanting to watch them at all these days just for the simple fact of how loving homophobic they are. Every other thing said is faggots this, or sucking a dick that. It can get really uncomfortable.

edit:I mean poo poo, the very beginning of Delirious is Murphy just talking about how he walks around so faggots can't look at his rear end, and how his biggest fear is Mr T being a human being who wants to gently caress him in the rear end.

Yeah that is something that really is off putting to me and the reason I don't enjoy Delirious. Raw ends with the Italian guys-Night Club Fight-LILLIAN CAN NOT USE THE PHONE! LILLIAN CAN NOT GO OUTSIDE! EVER AGAIN!! which is amazing and perfect and I love it and I can't see how people aren't even amused by it.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Ron White decided to go the same route Louis C.K took.

http://ronwhitespecial.com/

I haven't heard anything of his since his first album and the story Doug Stanhope told about him isn't too encouraging (he buys jokes from other comedians like Andy Andrist and told Doug "I buy good jokes, take the teeth out of them and than they applaud me") but who knows, maybe it's good?

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Sep 28, 2012

Howdy
Jan 25, 2005

quote:

When you buy my special, you are automatically entered to win VIP tickets to my live show and a ride with me on my plane.
That Blue Collar Comedy tour was a loving gold mine, I guess.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Howdy posted:

That Blue Collar Comedy tour was a loving gold mine, I guess.

How very Blue Collar of him.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Sporadic posted:

Ron White decided to go the same route Louis C.K took.

http://ronwhitespecial.com/

I haven't heard anything of his since his first album and the story Doug Stanhope told about him isn't too encouraging (he buys jokes from other comedians like Andy Andrist and told Doug "I buy good jokes, take the teeth out of them and than they applaud me") but who knows, maybe it's good?

I've seen a few of his specials and was never dissapointed. He's a decent comic and the only good thing to come from the Blue Collar Comedy bullshit. Goons would probably have an ok opinion of him if he had never done it.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
To get into the twitter recs from several pages ago, Colin Quinn has the best twitter, possibly ever. You might not think his stand-up is good, I know a lot of people don't, but this motherfucker knows twitter. He's got this ultra naive, well-meaning old guy overcome by arrogance and inflated ego kind of persona going and it's unbelievably funny.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Well its great when he trolls everyone.

He'll say things like "Maybe America is the real terrorists." Then just let everyone get angry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mst3kmann
Aug 8, 2005

FOREST WHITAKER EYE
Tig Nataro's legendary Largo set is now available on Louis CK's site.

https://buy.louisck.net/purchase/tig-notaro-live