Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Rozzbot posted:

I'm going to have my first shot at an all grain brew in the next week or so and was planning on freezing some big soda bottles filled with water so I could sterilize the outside and then drop them the wort to cool it.
Do you recon this will be too slow as well?

I'm in New Zealand and I cant find anywhere that sells premade stainless steel chillers and copper ones are just way too expensive for me at the moment.

That could work for getting it the final distance to pitching temperature, if you're agitating it enough.

Really though, once you get the wort to where it's no longer hot, which is perfectly doable with ice bath and stirring, I don't think the cooling speed really matters so much. If it's too warm to pitch yeast when you get tired of chilling, put it in the carboy/bucket with a swamp cooler and pitch in the morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
In my opinion, quick cooling is important because it helps a bunch of crap precipitate out and settle quickly and it shortens the window of time where the wort is cool enough for wild yeast and bacteria, but too hot for yeast.
Both if these are kind of minor issues for early batches though, so don't worry. My first 4 batches just went into the bucket warm after an ice bath and got pitched the next morning. They came out fine.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
I just used my gift certificate from the Midwest Groupon deal in May and made my second order for brewing ingredients, a Hefeweizen kit and everything individually that I need to make a Two-Hearted clone recipie from Adventures in Homebrewing. I was even able to "find" the Centennial hops I needed!

After not screwing up the Irish Stout that was my first batch I'm hoping I can get lucky another couple of times. :ohdear:

Rozzbot
Nov 4, 2009

Pork, lamb, chicken and ham
Cheers dudes.
I was planning on using the big plastic iceblock to stir the pot, I'll let you know how it goes.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Rozzbot posted:

I'm going to have my first shot at an all grain brew in the next week or so and was planning on freezing some big soda bottles filled with water so I could sterilize the outside and then drop them the wort to cool it.
Do you recon this will be too slow as well?

I'm in New Zealand and I cant find anywhere that sells premade stainless steel chillers and copper ones are just way too expensive for me at the moment.

The bottles will melt and/or leach plastic into your wort.

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

OK, I pulled the trigger on my first round of equipment to get this started, already so excited! Quick question, anyone have any experience with this kettle manufacturer I found on craigslist: Spike Brewing Looks like a guy who is modding his own kettles and selling on the side, seems decent, but wanted to know what you guys thought.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

My only concern would be that the bottom is only 1mm thick which is pretty thin. If you're using something with very even heat distribution like a banjo burner then it probably won't matter but if your burner is from a turkey fryer/crayfish boiler which tend to be more concentrated then it might not be ideal.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Angry Grimace posted:

The bottles will melt and/or leach plastic into your wort.

Only if you drop them in boiling wort. If you take it down from "boiling" to "hot tap water" or so in an ice or cold water bath then use ice immersion to get it to pitching temperature that's fine. Which works fairly well: the slow part of ice bath cooling is after most of the temperature difference is gone.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

GORDON posted:

And I was not giving it my full attention because I was surfing and listening to music with raps, and when my boil started I added the bittering hops, and forgot to add the malt.

I realized this at 30 minutes when it was time for the Irish Moss. I added the IM, realized that I felt like I was forgetting something, then saw all my malt.

I added the malt right then, 3.3 pounds of LME, and 2 pounds of DME.

Boiled 20 more minutes, added aroma hops, boiled 5 more minutes, put it in the chiller. 1.041 OG.

Did I royally gently caress up, or will it be fine.... or possibly... did I accidentally stumble upon the recipe for the greatest beer in the world? Time will tell.

Followup:

Moved to secondary today, it smells great.

It started bubbling at about 20 hours and stopped about 40 hours later... I had 2 bubbles per second during peak, which may not seem like a lot but it is the most I have personally seen in 10 batches. I was whiffing the gas coming out of the airlock... I do that to get a sense of what is going on in the bucket... the first day it smelled really bitter, and was thinking it was going to have fairly high IBUs due to my brew timing being all screwed up, but today when transferring the bitterness was mostly gone (I am more a malt-head than a hop-head), and I had a nice, pungent ale smell. I am sure there are better ways to describe it, but I have never had any exposure to people who can describe these scents better.... self-taught, and all. I have an ignorant, uneducated nose.

tl;dr - the batch seems to be coming along fine, in spite of my accidentally having added the malt 30 minutes too late in the boil.

GORDON fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Sep 15, 2012

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

GORDON posted:

tl;dr - the batch seems to be coming along fine, in spite of my accidentally having added the malt 30 minutes too late in the boil.

You're probably better off for that anyway. Malt extract has already been boiled once, so all putting it in for a full hour does is darken it up more. Unless you're mashing, the full boil time is pretty much just for the benefit of your bittering hops and they can do that with little or no malt in the water.

Just make sure that if you add extract mid-boil in the future, you take it off the heat. It sinks right to the bottom, so can stick or scorch if there's active heat underneath while you're still stirring it in.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Killer robot posted:

You're probably better off for that anyway. Malt extract has already been boiled once, so all putting it in for a full hour does is darken it up more. Unless you're mashing, the full boil time is pretty much just for the benefit of your bittering hops and they can do that with little or no malt in the water.

Just make sure that if you add extract mid-boil in the future, you take it off the heat. It sinks right to the bottom, so can stick or scorch if there's active heat underneath while you're still stirring it in.

I was already planning that if this turns out nice, to continue tweaking my personal recipe to add the malt mid-boil. Are you saying that I could/should add it right at the end of the boil?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

GORDON posted:

I was already planning that if this turns out nice, to continue tweaking my personal recipe to add the malt mid-boil. Are you saying that I could/should add it right at the end of the boil?

It varies. I've seen people add the extract at the end of the boil, and some fifteen minutes before the end just to make sure it's fully sanitized in case it got contaminated during packaging/storage. Either way gives a lighter color and possibly better taste than a full boil of all your extract. Most also add a half cup or so at the start: the theory is that a little sugar in the mix helps the hops isomerize better, but I don't know if the chemistry really works that way or not.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Hello homebrew thread.

I've been a hardcore beer nerd for years. About a month ago I got around to finally trying homebrew. I got a starter kit and a Brewers Best box (Munich Helles) and cooked it up about 3 weeks ago. I didn't have anywhere to lager it so I let it ferment at ale temps in a closet and waited very impatiently for my beer to get done.

As the wait went on I read more and more about homebrewing and the more stuff I started to want. I had yesterday off, and it was hardcore homebrew equipment acquisition day. I stumbled onto a cheap full size fridge on craigslist, so I got a thermostat for that and now have a proper fermentation chamber. I also lucked into a lightly used mini fridge and got the remaining kegerator plumbing I needed yesterday. I'd ordered a couple of corny kegs and a tower last week; the kegs got here Thursday but the tower wasn't supposed to arrive until next Wednesday. Instead when I got home from breakfast this morning, there was my tower!

So, I just spent the last few hours building my kegerator. It was surprisingly easy to do even considering my fairly lightweight building poo poo skills. My helles lager isn't done yet (I hooked it up for forced carbonation last night) but I couldn't wait to try it...it was very cloudy, mostly flat, and totally delicious. That I pulled it from a tap in my dining room made it that much better.

My main purpose in posting this is to express excitement to people who I don't know but who participate in this hobby, so here, have some enthusiasm! I now have an APA I cooked last night in my fridge doing its thing. I can't wait to try it.

(I must have spent $7-800 on this already)

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

Made 10 gallons of Scottish 80 schilling last night, great night to brew. Taught some friends how it's done and got pretty blitzed. In a few weeks I'm going to have 2 carboys with nice yeast cakes of WLP028 Edinburgh Ale, any suggestions on what I should brew to pitch on top of them?

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
Bewbies,

Let me know how that helles goes. My wife and I love Münchner styled beers and I'd really like to do something like that w/o cold fermenting.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

bewbies posted:

My main purpose in posting this is to express excitement to people who I don't know but who participate in this hobby, so here, have some enthusiasm! I now have an APA I cooked last night in my fridge doing its thing. I can't wait to try it.

(I must have spent $7-800 on this already)

I needed a new hobby when I turned 40 that didn't involve computers, and took this up. It really is the coolest thing. It is science, cooking, chemistry, biology, and a hell of a conversation starter when the husbands of your wife's friends discover you homebrew. At the end, you have beer.

I only spent about $125 to get started, still very happy cooking ales. A year and 10 batches later and haven't had a bad batch yet, or even a bad bottle. You can get into it as fast or as slow as you want.... I think I am asking for a small freezer to start making some lagers and pilsners, for christmas. :-D

Senior Moment
Jan 28, 2008

Anyone have experiences to share with oak casks? Do beers always come out super oaky and mellow out with time? How long did it take reach that "just right" level?

I helped a buddy brew a 55 gallon batch of imperial stout, which sat in an oak barrel for ~1 month. The oak flavour is a little overpowering right now, but at least it's a beer that should age well.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

LaserWash posted:

Bewbies,

Let me know how that helles goes. My wife and I love Münchner styled beers and I'd really like to do something like that w/o cold fermenting.

So far, fantastic. It actually tastes a bit more like a marzen than a helles but I'd hardly complain about that. I kegged it too early so it is pretty cloudy...not sure if that will clear up or not. It definitely doesn't look like a typical helles (it is a little ugly to look at) but it tastes fantastic.

FYI it spent most of its fermentation time at 76-78 degrees (we keep our house pretty warm) and it didn't seem to phase it at all.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Sadly, I think one of the best ways to improve your results/process is to not actually drink homebrew while you are brewing.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Has anyone used MoreBeer's Grain Gobbler mills? I'm still doing extract batches with specialty grains but with a mind to move from kits to making my own recipes and eventually all-grain. I'm wondering if I should get a grain mill now or just order pre-milled grain and vacuum seal the unused portions.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

I'm doing a whole hop recipe and I forgot to put the bazooka tube on the pot before I filled the pot all the way. For some insane reason I decided it would be a great idea to put on a latex glove and put it in through the hot wort.

Note to self: Don't ever stick your arm in hot wort. Don't.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
:stare:

Are you okay?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

JawKnee posted:

:stare:

Are you okay?

Pretty minor burns. The problem was that one glove wasn't enough insulation from the heat (they're for washing dishes), so I used two, but then the wort got into the glove and ran down into it which hurt like loving hell. To make matters worse the gloves were really tight, so it was hard to get off.

Edit:

The bloodied remains of some ungodly amount of whole hops in my brew kettle (about 8 oz.)

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Sep 16, 2012

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Double posting, but a hydrometer question - does wort density stratify as it sits? I didn't take pre-boil gravity readings on this IIPA because I've had pretty consistent efficiency (consistently on the lowish side but within typical ranges for batch sparging and I usually just goose the base malt a bit to compensate) and the recipe called for a lot of plain sugar, and I didn't know whether that was supposed to be counted. Due to the temperatures in the region (it was 103), I couldn't really chill the wort below ~85 degrees, so I let it sit in the fermentation fridge in the carboy for an hour or so while the yeast rehydrated (and I got some rolled tacos) and I took a hydro sample right before I pitched the yeast.

I was expecting a pre-boil gravity of like 1.072 or so, but I had 1.062. The only explanation I can come up with is either a significant drop off in efficiency (which would be unusual given that I hit all my temps and have hit the pretty much same efficiency every tim even with beers bigger than this and a lot of adjuncts), or the wort is just less dense on the top since it had been sitting there unmoved for about 30-45 minutes.

Edit: I used my other hydrometer on the same sample and it now reads 1.068? :iiam:

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Sep 16, 2012

Senior Moment
Jan 28, 2008

Angry Grimace posted:

Sadly, I think one of the best ways to improve your results/process is to not actually drink homebrew while you are brewing.

I disagree completely. When I'm brewing with my friends, we have a rule called "Step 3." You see, brewing can be broken up into multiple 3-step processes. Every third step is have a homebrew.

icehewk
Jul 7, 2003

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
How long do home grown hops need to dry out? I've set them up on a screen over a box fan.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

icehewk posted:

How long do home grown hops need to dry out? I've set them up on a screen over a box fan.

Mine have just been sitting in a paper bag that I shake once a day. It's been 3-4 days and they seem pretty dry now.

I think when you do it with a forced hot air system it works over night, so maybe a day for your setup? Best way to tell is probably by experience and the way they look and feel. Cut one open and see if the inside is still damp and green.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
I understand this is probably a troll image but what the hell I might as well ask.

My room mate sent me this picture

Wants me to help him out on it, I think it is just a troll image but he isn't so sure. Seeing how neither of us know much about this sort of thing we were thinking why not try it 10 bucks each isn't too much for something that doesn't work out.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Corvettefisher posted:

I understand this is probably a troll image but what the hell I might as well ask.

Wants me to help him out on it, I think it is just a troll image but he isn't so sure. Seeing how neither of us know much about this sort of thing we were thinking why not try it 10 bucks each isn't too much for something that doesn't work out.

It'll definitely work as long as the apple juice has no preservatives but it will be roughly 163% better if you use a wine yeast instead of bakers yeast. Also an airlock wouldn't hurt. And brown sugar instead of white sugar. Also sanitize your jug with a bleach/water solution and rinse it well.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Corvettefisher posted:

This is pretty much exactly how to make hard cider, though that much alcohol in it will probably not taste very balanced. I like my cider around 6-7%.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

If you use juice that has only been pasteurized instead of containing a bunch of preservatives designed to prevent fermentation then yes you will get booze doing that. It will taste loving terrible because of the baking yeast and because it will be contaminated all to gently caress. Also the bakers yeast probably won't be able to get to 14% abv especially because the yeast won't have all the nutrients it requires to thrive.

e: Actually just watch this. Specifically about 9.5 minutes in.

Galler fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 17, 2012

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
oh wow thanks for the fast responses all. Yeah we are trying to do something for a Halloween party, this looks like a solution to get a good amount of people drunk for decently cheap. Last year we did everclear, and well I don't think I need to say more.

I'll look into wine yeast, I'll look into pasteurized non preservative juice.

I did some googling and found this airlock
http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/bubbler-air-lock.html
Not sure if this is good or not.

Also the pic in question has 2 months, I have googled and people say 3 minimum with an average of 4-5.

Also, Coke, really? that is kinda what made me think it was just another troll image like magic crystals but I won't complain.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

If you want to do it for real then get a 5 or 6 gallon Better Bottle, rubber stopper, and an airlock. The water bottle in that image won't fall apart or anything but the plastic isn't made to be used as a fermentation vessel or exposed to alcohol. You should also probably add some yeast nutrient.

Fermentation will be complete within about a week. The extra time helps the flavor.

Looks like the image is just telling you to store the cider in empty 2 liter bottles not add coke to it. If you want carbonation you would need to add more sugar when putting it in the bottles but odds are that would just result in a huge mess when you add too much sugar and the bottle explodes.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Oh wow I am dumb, it is 11pm and I should really get some sleep...

Thanks for the tip but this is mostly going to be catering to college age people 21-24, I doubt they will care too much if I am going to be hitting anywhere above 7%.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug
Even juice preserved with potassium sorbate is only enough to impair yeast multiplication and keep it from fermenting with wild yeast that gets in there. If you add a whole packet of yeast it will ferment fine from my experience. Still, agreed you're better off just getting pasteurized juice that has nothing added. If it says "ascorbic acid" on the label that's not a problem, just means they added Vitamin C, won't impair yeast.

Down side: it's not going to taste too much like commercial hard cider, especially after two months. Expect it to be dry, tart, and not too strongly apple flavored. Up side: if you put in too much sugar for the yeast you're using, it ferments itself out with some sugar still in and leaves you a sweeter and maybe more drinkable product. Fallback either way:, if you're looking for budget party drinks, mix it into a punch or something like people have done with cheap hooch for centuries.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Generally, making cider/applewine from juice (and using champagne or wine yeast) needs a solid 5-8 months of sitting around conditioning before it's really tasty. It'll still be extremely dry and tart, though.

If you want cheap party drinks, buy some Natty Light. Trying to ferment apple juice to get a bunch of people drunk isn't going to be a very successful first alcohol making experiment. It's going to be gross.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Hi guys,

still catching up with 350 unread posts but have a question to ask in the meantime. Basically, I ordered a bunch of stuff from a local brewshop and because of a cock-up with Parcelforce, the delivery agents, it looks like I'm going to get them on Wednesday. That's a full week from the ship-out date meaning my WYeast Smack Packs (produced in June according to the website) will be sitting at non-fridge temps for a week. How much of an issue is this for viability? I'll likely be making starters regardless but would like to have yeast that's at least alive.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

Galler posted:

It will taste loving terrible because of the baking yeast and because it will be contaminated all to gently caress.

You can ferment things with bread yeast and have them come out just fine. I made a good cyser with bread yeast and plan on making beer with it sometime soon. It's actually the same species (sacchormyces cerevisiae) as beer yeast. Not sure why you think it'd get contaminated either, cheap store bought juice will be sanitary straight out of the jug so as long as he has a sanitized vessel to put it in there's not really much risk of infection.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Baker's Yeast is the same species of yeast, but it's bred to bread, not to beer. As such, it doesn't ferment well at normal fermentation temperatures and produces alot of co2 and scary tasting stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I just wanted to say thanks to Splizwarf and his wife for being such awesome people and teaching me a ton about home brewing. I'm really excited to see how the Honey Ale turns out!

Fun things we've learned:
- The banjo burner is angry mother. Also Splizwarf it turns out it's the same price on Amazon but if you have Prime it's cheaper.
- Should your banjo burner bring forth a massive overboil because you have it turned on too much you should definitely have a spray bottle on hand. Also turn off the gas at the propane tank rather than the regulator, it's quicker.
- Brewing in the driveway helps with cleanup immensely.
- Breakfast Stout is delicious.
- If your bottle of homebrew decides to vomit forth a cascade of foam when you open up the bottle, check the bottom. You probably didn't clean the bottle well enough.
- Giant nerds seem to like to marry tiny teachers.
- Homemade chili and beer is the greatest thing ever.

Splizwarf the honey company I was thinking of was Cloister Honey. I have no idea if they can supply stuff in 5 gallon batches or not, but I bet it's worth asking.