Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Midboss posted:

Well hell, this would've been much cleaner for an avatar. Oh well. I'd appreciate a 1920x1080 version.

I was too much doing Photoshop to tab into the thread and notice your post, sorry :{

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Mister Chief posted:

Is there any way to buy this stuff besides yahoo auctions?

Probably not for a lot of it but Fuji TV has occasionally put up Game Center CX branded merchandise in their store. It's typically nothing special; things like a water bottle with the GCCX logo on it, for example. There was some of this stuff on there last week but it's gone now. They might have pulled all of their stock for the TGS booth, though, so keep an eye out for it.

You can order custom Game Center CX business cards, though!

OrochiKiyo
Sep 9, 2012
If only that stuff would be sold outside of Game Shows and the like, or at least bought by attendees and then sold via online auctions. The only merch I've seen on Yahoo!Japan Auctions is the "I am a 40's Gamer" mousepad.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Midboss posted:

Well hell, this would've been much cleaner for an avatar. Oh well. I'd appreciate a 1920x1080 version.

I'd love this in a 1280x1024 if you don't mind :allears:

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Tyma posted:

Does anyone want this in resolutions that aren't 1440 x 900 (The resolution of winners)?

This is awesome, but the typeface they used was Mesquite or at least something very close to it. I happen to have it:

Here's a large version if you'd like to use it.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/ykpjwd

ETA: The GCCX in Asia special is going to air October 5th. Apparently they went to Cambodia? Need confirmation.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Sep 16, 2012

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Sorry, it's not a Kirby game.

Instead Arino goes to the swankiest of all of the corporate headquarters he visits to talk about the Sengoku period, how many thousands of enemies are appropriate in a level for a beat-'em-up, and the appropriate time to wash one's face. Yes, he's off to Koei and will play Angelique Trois on the side.

Taking you on this tour of gaming history and history in games is zari-gani who once defeated over a thousand men in forty-five minutes.

Download torrent81 (1 files; 535.84 MB)
View torrent stats

Direct Download

Edit: I forgot to add two things.

First, even though I don't care for his strategy games I'd love to hang out with Kou Shibusawa. We could talk about history and Chinese novels all day. :allears:

Second, I was pleased to find out that my favorite Dynasty Warriors character is the pick of people who are fans of the book. My second favorite, OTOH, is the pick of weirdos.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Sep 16, 2012

draks
Apr 29, 2009

here he comes
OH MAN NEW EPISODE but hey that's not why i came here initially...

Spotted this in Akihabara today!! They're super nice in person. One day I hope to be rich enough to afford one of these DVDs.

Orb Crabmelt
Jan 16, 2011

Nyorp.
Clapping Larry

Random Stranger posted:

Sorry, it's not a Kirby game.

Instead Arino goes to the swankiest of all of the corporate headquarters he visits to talk about the Sengoku period, how many thousands of enemies are appropriate in a level for a beat-'em-up, and the appropriate time to wash one's face. Yes, he's off to Koei and will play Angelique Trois on the side.

Taking you on this tour of gaming history and history in games is zari-gani who once defeated over a thousand men in forty-five minutes.

Download torrent81 (1 files; 535.84 MB)
View torrent stats

Direct Download

Edit: I forgot to add two things.

First, even though I don't care for his strategy games I'd love to hang out with Kou Shibusawa. We could talk about history and Chinese novels all day. :allears:

Second, I was pleased to find out that my favorite Dynasty Warriors character is the pick of people who are fans of the book. My second favorite, OTOH, is the pick of weirdos.

This is awesome; I've just been getting back into the Dynasty Warriors / ROTK series. I forgot GCCX even went to Koei. Thanks to all of you for your great work!

OrochiKiyo
Sep 9, 2012
Oh hey, this looks pretty nice.

(Pics from Discotek's Facebook page)

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
I will be reversing that slipcover as soon as I get the shrink wrap off of it, and everyone else should do likewise!

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
I'm glad to see a new Game Center [CX] episode subbed. Can't wait to watch it.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

Well to be more specific, he said that it's a shibui pick. It's a really hard word to translate to English (especially given the short amount of time in the video). It's used to describe some thing that is simple and ordinary, yet has a certain appeal to it... Going back to French, I guess "je-ne-sais-quois" works. There's definitely no one word that acts as a proper equivalent.

More to this context, if you said your favorite GCCX staff member is Suda it might be considered a shibui pick. Not a bad pick, just unexpected I guess you'd say. More modest? Given the shortness of the line, I went with "unusual pick."

OrochiKiyo posted:

Oh hey, this looks pretty nice.

(Pics from Discotek's Facebook page)

These look great! I love the disks.

And now that the episode's been released:

Random Stranger posted:

On the annoyingly obscure hints for the next release front, I've owned a copy of the game Arino plays in this episode for more than six months but I haven't been able to bring myself to actually play it. Maybe I'll give it a try in a few hours...

Angelique Trois can be surprisingly addicting!

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 16, 2012

farfromsleep
Sep 16, 2012

space cat wannabe
Hi all, another recent convert reporting in. I've been lurking around for a while here, but seeing the frankly tremendous work you've been doing finally pushed me over the edge into signing up for an account just so I could say thanks for going above and beyond in getting the show out there, not to mention doing such a great job with it.

I started with the TVN subs (wanting to be all chronological about it), but after a jump to the SA Team releases it's hard to go back. All that extra effort is really appreciated and helps capture the spirit of the show in such a great way. The difference is really night and day for me, add in the frequency of updates and it's hard to see how you could be handling it better.

On top of that, I spend a couple of days trawling through the whole thread to get myself up to speed and there's a new sub waiting at the end. Happy Days.

lord funk
Feb 16, 2004

Because of this show I'm playing Quest of Ki. I'm going through no-warps, and it's actually really fun. After that I may finally play the Japanese SMB2, followed by the US version.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

If you're talking about the Lost Levels, that game is pure hell built to massacre overconfident children and make them into weeping bitter adults

Or I could be misremembering, but I do recall it kicking my rear end sideways!

Jimmy Colorado
Apr 16, 2010
You know, it takes a little futzing around with Google maps, but you can see the mosaic of Nobunaga in Koei's courtyard. Google Earth is a little easier because you can adjust the pitch of the "camera", and reset north, etc.

I'm not one of the cool kids who knows how to link to a specific place on google maps, at a specific resolution (i.e. zoomed in all the way), but here are some lat/long coordinates: 35.550362,139.646818 From there, yeah, zoom all the way in, haha.

Sadly, the satellite passed overhead either early in the morning or evening, as the shadows are long and it's not the easiest thing to pick up!

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

"Pujitsu"

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Thank you for washing TVN's subs and trying again

Fushin
Dec 16, 2005

Grimey Drawer

victrix posted:

If you're talking about the Lost Levels, that game is pure hell built to massacre overconfident children and make them into weeping bitter adults

Or I could be misremembering, but I do recall it kicking my rear end sideways!

The Lost Levels isn't that bad since you continue from the beginning of the World you died in instead of getting game overs. It's like Ninja Gaiden where you only lose if you give up.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

This episode makes me want to play Dynasty Warriors now. Lu Bu is pretty :black101: (even though Arino lost while using him)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

Well to be more specific, he said that it's a shibui pick. It's a really hard word to translate to English (especially given the short amount of time in the video). It's used to describe some thing that is simple and ordinary, yet has a certain appeal to it... Going back to French, I guess "je-ne-sais-quois" works. There's definitely no one word that acts as a proper equivalent.

More to this context, if you said your favorite GCCX staff member is Suda it might be considered a shibui pick. Not a bad pick, just unexpected I guess you'd say. More modest? Given the shortness of the line, I went with "unusual pick."

So in other words, for weirdos. :v:

The thing about that character, Xiahou Dun, is that he takes an arrow to the eye, has the whole thing come out when he pulls out the arrow, and then eats his own eyeball before going on to win the battle. If King Harold had been that badass then English wouldn't be such a language for weirdos.

zari-gani posted:

Angelique Trois can be surprisingly addicting!

They really didn't show off any of the game on the show. Sure the dating elements are a big part of it but it's like if Arino challenged Super Mario Brothers and they spent the entire time on just fighting Bowser.

Jimmy Colorado posted:

You know, it takes a little futzing around with Google maps, but you can see the mosaic of Nobunaga in Koei's courtyard. Google Earth is a little easier because you can adjust the pitch of the "camera", and reset north, etc.

I'm not one of the cool kids who knows how to link to a specific place on google maps, at a specific resolution (i.e. zoomed in all the way), but here are some lat/long coordinates: 35.550362,139.646818 From there, yeah, zoom all the way in, haha.

Sadly, the satellite passed overhead either early in the morning or evening, as the shadows are long and it's not the easiest thing to pick up!

You can just go to the Google Maps collection of the places Arino has visited. The courtyard is a bit to the NE of the marker.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 16, 2012

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Are you guys planning on subbing the other season 1 episodes? The Taito one has an interview with the guy who worked on Densha De Go!/Go By Train! and I'd love to see that.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Zeether posted:

Are you guys planning on subbing the other season 1 episodes? The Taito one has an interview with the guy who worked on Densha De Go!/Go By Train! and I'd love to see that.

The creator of Space Invaders? Yawn.

Creator of Go by Train? Sign me up!

And yes, the season 1 episodes are going to be translated. Another season 1 episode probably won't be the next release, though.

PkerUNO
Dec 21, 2007

Ambitious but rubbish

Random Stranger posted:

The creator of Space Invaders? Yawn.

Creator of Go by Train? Sign me up!

You jest but the first Tokyo Game Show I went to was the one where they were launching the PS3. Pretty much every single demo station was packed and had 2 hour waits. The only one that was 5 minutes...

...was Railfan.

And even better, one of the game's staff (I think it may have been the director) was there to offer advice. So we chatted about the state of railway simulators in Japan and the UK while I played. :v:

EDIT: I'm pretty sure I also saw the GCCX booth but had no idea what it was at the time. :doh:

PkerUNO fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Sep 16, 2012

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I really enjoy the interviews in the Season 1 episodes, especially when Arino asks them "What are games to you?"

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

PkerUNO posted:

You jest but the first Tokyo Game Show I went to was the one where they were launching the PS3. Pretty much every single demo station was packed and had 2 hour waits. The only one that was 5 minutes...

...was Railfan.

And even better, one of the game's staff (I think it may have been the director) was there to offer advice. So we chatted about the state of railway simulators in Japan and the UK while I played. :v:

EDIT: I'm pretty sure I also saw the GCCX booth but had no idea what it was at the time. :doh:

I joke because while I may be the least secret mass transit sim fan on these forums I hold the guy working on the best train simulator out there in slightly less regard than the guy who defined the Japanese gaming industry.

Omniphile
Apr 5, 2010

Love? Justice? Pah! I'll crush them all!
The Battletoads 2-parter won me over to this show. Thank you guys for subbing this.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

They really didn't show off any of the game on the show. Sure the dating elements are a big part of it but it's like if Arino challenged Super Mario Brothers and they spent the entire time on just fighting Bowser.

I wish they'd turn it into a full-length episode challenge. The tiny bits they showed in this ep makes it seem like just a dating sim when a lot of work has to go into your land, too. If he played it for 13 hours I'm dying to see what else happened during his playthrough. With seventeen possible love interests in all I'm sure he's had some amusing things to say about them.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

zari-gani posted:

I wish they'd turn it into a full-length episode challenge. The tiny bits they showed in this ep makes it seem like just a dating sim when a lot of work has to go into your land, too. If he played it for 13 hours I'm dying to see what else happened during his playthrough. With seventeen possible love interests in all I'm sure he's had some amusing things to say about them.

Colorful commentary can do wonders for a challenge. I remember being pretty apprehensive watching the Tokimemi Memorial episode because I thought it would be really dull with a lot of dialogue reading and it ended up being one of the best episodes of the series.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
Thank you guys once again for another great episode. As someone who is kinda interested in the behind the scenes stuff regarding the gaming industry (minus the drama and poo poo like that), I actually enjoy these episodes a lot more than I thought I would. :)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

I suspect that this was actually part of what prompted them to change the format. It's not cost effective to have your star work at something for thirteen hours straight and only use seven minutes of it.

I think this is the longest challenge in terms of play time of all of season 1. Most of the rest of them he wraps up in three or four hours. This feels more like they could have pulled a full episode from the footage and may have realized it.

GidgetNomates
May 6, 2010

I love this hobby:
stealing your mother's diary

Zeether posted:

I really enjoy the interviews in the Season 1 episodes, especially when Arino asks them "What are games to you?"

My favorite part is how almost all of them just answer "games are life itself..."

SuperMarrio
Mar 26, 2005

Those who live by capitalism must be prepared to die by it.

lord funk posted:

Because of this show I'm playing Quest of Ki. I'm going through no-warps, and it's actually really fun. After that I may finally play the Japanese SMB2, followed by the US version.

I'm doing this exact same thing! See, while watching Arino play Quest of Ki, I thought to myself "those controls look like they can be finessed- he's just not using the right touch". It reminded me of something like Trials HD or N+, where getting your best scores happen when you're in The Zone.

I would say that I'm about half right. The controls are definitely bad, but in a finesse-able, almost so-bad-they're-good sort of way. The Zone is definitely achievable, and has resulted in some of my best times. But holy motherfucking poo poo, the enemy movements are really difficult to time, the pixel perfect hit detection is infuriating as all gently caress and they were not loving around when it came to spikes because they are goddamn everywhere. And don't think for a second you can get near them, let alone look at them.

I'm currently "stuck" on level 52.

I have a new found respect for Arino's play through of Quest of Ki. I still think I can beat his time, but I now truly understand why it took him as long as it did to finally beat it.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
Man I have been watching these episodes and I am just obsessed with this stuff now. Arino is just hilarious and some of his staff are adorable :3:

Thanks for introducing me to all this guys, and extra thanks for the translation work you been doing!

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

SuperMarrio posted:

I'm doing this exact same thing! See, while watching Arino play Quest of Ki, I thought to myself "those controls look like they can be finessed- he's just not using the right touch". It reminded me of something like Trials HD or N+, where getting your best scores happen when you're in The Zone.

I would say that I'm about half right. The controls are definitely bad, but in a finesse-able, almost so-bad-they're-good sort of way. The Zone is definitely achievable, and has resulted in some of my best times. But holy motherfucking poo poo, the enemy movements are really difficult to time, the pixel perfect hit detection is infuriating as all gently caress and they were not loving around when it came to spikes because they are goddamn everywhere. And don't think for a second you can get near them, let alone look at them.

I'm currently "stuck" on level 52.

I have a new found respect for Arino's play through of Quest of Ki. I still think I can beat his time, but I now truly understand why it took him as long as it did to finally beat it.

Arino has almost no dexterity or finesse. He's a longtime gamer but he favors certain types of games where dexterity and finesse flat out don't apply and that's why he's amazing at those games and terrible at touch platformers or shmups. I'm almost the exact opposite and while Ki wasn't the easiest thing I have played, I did finish it in about 6 hours over 2 days. There are definitely about 10% of the levels that will have you frustrated endlessly but otherwise a lot of it is just a bit of muscle memory. 98, I can attest, is the worst in the game and while it's absurd that he spent so long on it, it does make sense that it's where he struggled most and I would say a very good chunk of my 6 hours was spent beating 98.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

I'm think been thinking of segment in which Arino and at least two other ADs went shopping for games at a street vendor down one of those small alleys lined with shops they have in Japan. I think someone might haven bought Hatris and they had a set amount of money to spend. Does anyone know what episode this was?

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

You're thinking of Arino and Kibe's shopping trip in Super Mario 64 (part 1). Kibe bought Tetris 2 + Bombliss.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

That's it. Is there a name for those type of shopping lanes?

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Mister Chief posted:

That's it. Is there a name for those type of shopping lanes?

Walking through Akihabara's back streets it's full of those sort of tiny stores packed next to each other. I don't think there's a word one, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

makere
Jan 14, 2012
The DVD would've been released today if it hadn't been for the delay. :smith: