Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Come on, we all tried to play FF1 when we were 6 or so and thought just buying poo poo in the shop equipped it and the game became like too hard at the pirate part and we said "gently caress THIS poo poo!" and went back to Mario 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
When I was a youngster playing VII for the first time I got stuck trying to find the house you're suppose to go to with Aeries. I just couldn't find it on the map, and I didn't realize you could press select and have the game show you all the entrances to other places on your screen.

I also needed the Brady guide to get me through The Temple of the Ancients. Yea, go ahead and laugh.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
I only ever rented FF1 as a young kid and I was lucky to make it past Garland. Hell, I remember spending most of my time loading someone else's save data post-airship & class change and flying around aimlessly exploring the world.

I did eventually trek through it with the help of the AMAZING Nintendo Power guide. Seriously, that guide is incredible. Check it out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRJNW7WqY28

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Zombies' Downfall posted:

People are nuts, I knew a kid in middle school who bought FF7 and then got stuck on the mako reactor thing and the first boss and decided it was too tough.

If you've never played an RPG before you can't even process them or something

i "played" all the classic SNES FFs back wen I was little, as well as FFIX. I made it like 20 minutes into FFV and FFVI. FFIX I got stuck at the Black Waltz #1/Sealion fight.

I'm no genius now but little me was just plain retarded.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
poo poo, I'm the only one that was "little" when FF1 came out? gently caress. :corsair:

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Loving Life Partner posted:

poo poo, I'm the only one that was "little" when FF1 came out? gently caress. :corsair:

Dude I own an original Dragon Warrior cart from the Nintendo Power promotion. :hfive:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
When I first played FF1 I thought it was a 4 player game, also since everyone hit so poorly with their fists I decided I had to start over using 4 black mages because they could use fire1.

My first endgame team was a party of 4 knights using Excalibur, Sun Sword, Defender, and Thor's Hammer. I didn't have any of the heal items the black or white shirts, ribbons, or protect rings/capes.

Furtherest I ever got was to Tiamat in the past and promptly died because my level 28ish group wasn't good enough to get to Chaos. :negative:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I'm pretty sure it took me months to figure out how to hell to progress the story in FF4 after you first get the airship. And even longer to get past those drat Magus Sisters. :argh:

Seeing that game in action for the first time blew my mind as a six-year-old kid. A game with lots of big pretty numbers and some badass knight in black armor? Hell yeah.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Am I the only one that lost all will to play FF4 after Cecil turns into a purple haired fairy? :ninja:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Well I was little when FF1 came out. Like three months old little, I don't think that counts. The first RPG that came up on my radar was Crystalis when I was 5 and I had no idea what the gently caress was going on aside from "this fat book says you need to be at least Level 7 to hurt this boss."

So I knew what levels were, but not what consituted gaining a level. I also had no idea what armor was, but it was okay because there was a Game Genie code that gave you infinite MP so you could just hold down A casting Refresh all day.

Captain Vittles
Feb 12, 2008

I'm not a nerd! I'm a video game enthusiast.

I was twelve (almost thirteen!) when FF1 came out, so hopefully that makes you feel better.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Mister Roboto posted:

Though I will say 5 is probably the hardest of the SNES era since if you have the wrong jobs, you WILL die.

The guy who beat the game with three Berserkers and a Knight says otherwise.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

I wasn't even born when FF1 came out

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

I was little when FF1 came out, but I didn't play it, really. I saw my older sister play it, but it seemed like no one I knew got very far into it and it never interested me. It didn't help that generally, I preferred to watch my sibling and my older relatives play games than do it myself. That changed when I finally played FF4 for myself.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Himuro posted:

When you're level 100 limit breaks didn't help much when you were under stocked in powerful magic because the enemies had so much more hp and defense.

I quit using magic to attack after the training mission because I noticed doing so made my stats go down. Shortly thereafter I found that I could get limits by mashing O. So I plowed through the entire game refining magic to max out my junctions and then just wear while I used shot and renzukuwhatever over and over. I don't know anyone who didn't use either this strategy or summoning and relegated magic to just equipment their first time.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Am I the only one that lost all will to play FF4 after Cecil turns into a purple haired fairy? :ninja:

Yeah because most people aren't homophobic douchebags.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

I was, but I didn't get into RPGs until Final Fantasy "III" hit the SNES. Then they proceeded to consume my entire teenagehood, which is why I'll be the first to admit that childhood nostalgia colors my view of SNES RPGs. But oh well.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Boten Anna posted:

On the other hand FFIV is just recovering from its big boring not-the-cool-main-story (Note: main story not actually cool as it progresses) escapades and ten the main character is pathetically weak and if its a replay you know that annoying as hell dungeon is coming up.

Death to that goddamn no-iron dungeon.

Beaumains
Aug 8, 2007
HURFDURF scary stories are dumb, I'm so cool i lack even the rudimentary analytical abilities to decipher basic themes and archetypes, anything without fast cars and explosions is for babbies, heh im so goddamn tough and grown up :smug:

Mega64 posted:

I like doing solo challenges. They require much less grinding for items or whatever than other challenges, plus they usually aren't as reliant on luck for the more bullshit battles. Hell, there are times where the game just stops being challenging and becomes even easier, only for you to hit a brick wall again. Some bosses become much more difficult, some become a joke because you have the EXP of four/five people.

Now if only I could find the will to finish them.

:colbert: How's that solo Cecil challenge coming, mister?

Harlock posted:

Are there any hacks/patches/etc for FFVI worth using in a new playthrough?

Look up something called Eviltype. Me and a friend (btw FF6 is 2player) went through it, and it's actually pretty awesome. Standard bugfixes plus across the board difficulty rebalancing. Some character rebalancing too, like Cyan's SwordTechs getting boosts. Unlike what the title may suggest, it's not a dumb "grind forever to stand a chance" type of mod. You can clear everything just fine without doing anymore grinding than grabbing all the treasures in an area without running away too much. Basically imagine FF6 suddenly being slightly harder than FF5 sans Chemist-type poo poo and that's what you get.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Zombies' Downfall posted:

People are nuts, I knew a kid in middle school who bought FF7 and then got stuck on the mako reactor thing and the first boss and decided it was too tough.

If you've never played an RPG before you can't even process them or something

The game is mistranslated and tells you to attack the scorpion while its tail is up. Some people didn't catch on, some people didn't even read the text because they realized it was a rehash of the whelk from FF6.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

rodbeard posted:

The game is mistranslated and tells you to attack the scorpion while its tail is up. Some people didn't catch on, some people didn't even read the text because they realized it was a rehash of the whelk from FF6.

It's FF tradition to have one of, if not the, first boss who attacks in specific formations - that when in passive state, will use a powerful counterattack.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Saigyouji posted:

And there are no Ghost moves that do non-fixed damage. It's part of why Psychics in Gen I are so powerful, since their other counter is Bug types, which were useless back then.

Hah. There was actually one ghost move which dealt damage normally. That move was Lick, which was as powerful as Leech Life. When I was a youth with too much time on my hands, I did attempt to take on the psychic gym with a Haunter that knew Lick. That is when I learned that due to another programming error, psychic types were immune to ghost damage, instead of vulnerable.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Boten Anna posted:

Uhh I was 9 the first time I played it, sorry? :shobon:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

rodbeard posted:

Doesn't it split the critical distinction text onto two different lines? So if you're just slamming X trying to skip dialog asap it'll seem like its telling you to attack while the tail is up because you gloss over the second text box?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Barudak posted:

Doesn't it split the critical distinction text onto two different lines? So if you're just slamming X trying to skip dialog asap it'll seem like its telling you to attack while the tail is up because you gloss over the second text box?

'Attack while the tail's up!'
'It's gonna use it's Laser!'

Which made it sound like it was some kind of race against the clock and you had to pile on as much damage as possible to stop it using the Laser.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
Yeah, it's like, "Attack while the tail is up!" and that stays on screen for a few seconds while you're able to choose 'attack,' only for the game to say "It'll counterattack with its laser!" after you've probably already input the commands.

Beaumains
Aug 8, 2007
HURFDURF scary stories are dumb, I'm so cool i lack even the rudimentary analytical abilities to decipher basic themes and archetypes, anything without fast cars and explosions is for babbies, heh im so goddamn tough and grown up :smug:

Uhh I was 9 the first time I played it, sorry? :shobon:

I was just a little older and the main thing that sticks out in my memory is realizing my dude with the most HP suddenly had, like, twice as much HP. I was pretty pro-paladin after that.

In Mega64's old FF4 LP, we noticed the game had lots of little subtle game mechanics stuff that reinforced the story's themes. That's one example of it I guess.

Still would've been cool to go the rest of the game as a dark knight though.

Beaumains fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Sep 17, 2012

Three Cookies
Apr 9, 2010

Beaumains posted:

Still would've been cool to go the rest of the game as a dark knight though.

But how could he be with Rosa then?

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I liked Cecil's paladin clothes more because he looked fabulously stylish with that awesome cloak. :nyan:

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
The Dark Knight helmet in FFIVDS looked stupid so I was glad to be rid of it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Pasteurized Milk posted:

But how could he be with Rosa then?

Edward needs a new Queen.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Pureauthor posted:

The Dark Knight helmet in FFIVDS looked stupid so I was glad to be rid of it.

Personally I really liked it, because it was a way to adhere to the original Amano design (as much as you can say that's a "positive") while still being a nod to his original sprite's helmet by using the separate jaw plate.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Hah, man, I forgot about the awesome non-battle battles in FF9, like the Quiz Show bit, and the random weird monsters that demand ore for big AP payouts. Good stuff.

Just partied up to go to Oeilivert or however it's spelled.

I want to do more choco hot n cold but I'm getting more annoyed with it today than I was 10 whatever years ago, maybe because I had a few entire games spent around a Kwehhhh!? zone without getting a single loving item hit.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Barudak posted:

Edward needs a new Queen.

Who, Kain? :v:

When I was a young'un, I thought Cecil was great after changing into a Paladin. I had no idea what the gently caress a Paladin was by definition other than "heroic knight that's the opposite of evil Dark Knight" but I thought he was great. I loved it when I'd wake up in the morning with cowlicks on the side of my head thinking, "oh man my hair is like Cecil's!" because his looked brushed to the side.

And now nearing twenty years later my hair is just genetically wild and "like Cecil's" more often than not, though this is no longer exciting.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.
I still remember the first time beating Cecil's trial and getting him to become a Paladin. That poo poo will stick with me forever, something so... trivial now felt so amazing as a kid, like I completed something amazing.

Granted I also used to die constantly to Scarmiglione because on FF2 as a kid I never figured out he was weak to Fire as undead or some poo poo. I really don't know how I thought that game was difficult.

Now FFIV DS on the other hand is entirely too difficult. I appreciate challenge but I got to the Lunar Surface on the DS and gave up because having random encounters that can wipe you in 2 hits happening every four steps or so sucks.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Barudak posted:

On the other hand FFIV is just recovering from its big boring not-the-cool-main-story (Note: main story not actually cool as it progresses) escapades and ten the main character is pathetically weak and if its a replay you know that annoying as hell dungeon is coming up.

Death to that goddamn no-iron dungeon.

Agreed on the no-iron dungeon I hate that dungeon. However, loving poo poo up with Palom and Porom and getting like 12 levels in one go is one of my favorite parts of the game.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Boten Anna posted:

Nope! I wanted to play a game starring a Dark Knight, dammit. I thought that was cool. I was a kid renting SNES carts from the local video store, I didn't think he turned into a fairy or anything like that, I just thought Dark Knight > Paladin.

Beaumains
Aug 8, 2007
Cecilchat

I'm totally down with the Paladinness but one thing I sure missed was the final Dark Knight sword that inflicted instant death. I held on to that thing the whole game, hoping some new character would be able to use it again. I remember being sorely disappointed when Edge couldn't even throw it.

Someone should make a terrible, terrible fanfic or RPGMaker game about how FF4 would turn out if Cecil failed the Mt Ordeals test and kept on his quest anyway. It couldn't be worse than After Years.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Beaumains posted:

Someone should make a terrible, terrible fanfic or RPGMaker game about how FF4 would turn out if Cecil failed the Mt Ordeals test and kept on his quest anyway. It couldn't be worse than After Years.
Cecil smokes a ton of weed with Edge and becomes the Green Knight, his special attack is a lot like Darkness except instead of evil, he blows out waves of marijuana smoke (it inflicts confusion on unintelligent monsters, but makes intelligent enemies friendly and leave combat). The story remains largely the same until the final battle where you just have a smokeout with Zemus and everyone becomes friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Also a wizard casts a spell on Rosa and Rydia to make them reflect whatever the author's sexual fetishes are.