Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

W.T. Fits posted:

Here's how stealing in FFV works:

1. The default success rate to steal is always 40%.
2. The game checks to see if the person stealing has the Thief's Glove equipped. If they do, then the rate to steal is doubled to 80%.
3. The game generates a number between 0 and 99. If that number is less than your Steal % chance, then the steal attempt succeeds.
4. The game checks to see which of the monster's two item slots you stole. It generates a number between 0 and 255. If the number is 10 or lower, you get the Rare item. If it's between 11 and 255, you get the Common item.

The catch here is that some monsters will have a Rare item, but not a Common one. Zuus near Karnak, for example, have Elixirs in their Rare slot, but no Common item. Since the game checks second to see which item you stole, it's possible to succeed on your attempt to steal (the first check), but not actually steal the Rare item if that's all they have (the second check).

That said, if the monster doesn't have any items at all (or if you already successfully stole from it), it'll straight up tell you when you make a steal attempt.

The message I'm getting here is "Stealing is a complete waste of time". For a mechanic that requires such luck, the payoff is almost always crap. The only games I can think of that had stuff worth stealing are 7 and 9.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Dr Pepper posted:

Why would you Berserk your breaker when he could be using the awesome break skills?

For one thing, the best break skills are practically only available post-game (as in, you find them in dungeons that open up after the "final" dungeon). Second, the ones that are available earlier aren't worth using on general mobs- why lower the defense of a monster that's going to die in 4 seconds anyway?

For most of the game, Breakers are just for caving faces in, and they do it well. With Berserk and a decent weapon, your Breaker can probably 1- or 2-shot most monsters.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Beaumains posted:

Still would've been cool to go the rest of the game as a dark knight though.

The instruction manual even implied this might be possible because it listed the Fire Sword as being usable by Dark Knight Cecil. :argh:

Mega64 posted:

He was already banging Rosa before the game even begins. She doesn't even bat an eye when she sees the new him, though the first time they reunite post class-change involved a giant sickle/ball about to fall on her. She's not picky about looks.

Cecil's outfit changed appearance, not his actual body. :ssh:

Sex_Ferguson posted:

They made a pretty rocking version of Clash on the Big Bridge, so they're good in my book.

They needed to do an entire album of nothing but FF:MQ tracks.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Momomo posted:

The message I'm getting here is "Stealing is a complete waste of time". For a mechanic that requires such luck, the payoff is almost always crap. The only games I can think of that had stuff worth stealing are 7 and 9.

Actually in pretty much every area there's at least one or two encounters with stuff worth stealing. I mean, in the first place if you're stealing you're going to be using a Thief with Thieves Gloves.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There is a Dark Knight job in Dimensions, and like all jobs, it's unlocked through a guest party member. So, y'know, there's that.

Evil Fluffy posted:

They needed to do an entire album of nothing but FF:MQ tracks.

Problem is, Mystic Quest's soundtrack is credited to Ryuji Sasai and Yasuhiro Kawakami, not Nobuo Uematsu.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Evil Fluffy posted:

Cecil's outfit changed appearance, not his actual body. :ssh:

I've heard that Cecil literally hammered his armor into his skin until it fused with it or something, so not necessarily.

To think, the king who had Cecil do this sort of poo poo was a good guy.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

He learned the dark sword from the king, even, didn't he?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Yeah. The king encouraged Cecil to be a dark knight, and it turns out Cecil was really good at it because he's a JRPG protagonist. He also found time between mastering the powers of darkness to bang his best friend's crush.

Cecil is the best protagonist.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Mega64 posted:

Yeah. The king encouraged Cecil to be a dark knight, and it turns out Cecil was really good at it because he's a JRPG protagonist. He also found time between mastering the powers of darkness to bang his best friend's crush.

Cecil is the best protagonist.

Being a master of the dark sword isn't really "evil" in FFIV it seems. Not any more than any other soldier specialization. The king of Baron was a pretty cool dude until a few months before the start of the game and the king of Fabol talks about how the was a cool traveling dark knight that visited them in the past.

I think Golbez just has a resistant to unholy damage and a weakness to holy. Cecil was just trying to min/max.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Belzac posted:

Being a master of the dark sword isn't really "evil" in FFIV it seems. Not any more than any other soldier specialization. The king of Baron was a pretty cool dude until a few months before the start of the game and the king of Fabol talks about how the was a cool traveling dark knight that visited them in the past.

Not necessarily evil, more just embracing darkness for the sake of being a terrifying super-soldier. Baron's army includes an entire order of Dark Knights, which the King may or may not have been a part of back in his poo poo-kicking days (I remember reading that he was part of the Dark Knights somewhere, but can't find that information again so I can't fully confirm this thought). You just never hear anything about them for some reason or another. Even the non-Kain Dragoons got more of a mention than they did within the game, which is weird all considered.

Shaezerus fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Sep 18, 2012

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

Momomo posted:

Always steal from Gilgamesh.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Cardboard Fox posted:

I actually have no idea who did the VI remix I linked above. :iiam:

S.S.H (Saitama Saisyu Heiki); he's done a ton of great remixes of other stuff. Have a couple of the more relevant ones.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Mustach posted:

If you're playing ffxii steal from Gilgamesh repeatedly. I saved after the Gilgamesh fight and then found out he had more than one thing.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Mustach posted:

Was going to mention this. The last 4 fights with Gilgamesh (including the scripted one!) Gilgamesh has Genji Gear which is one of the best equips in the game. It's a guaranteed steal so do it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So I'm guessing there's no FF13-2 thread?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So I'm guessing there's no FF13-2 thread?

Sure there is.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3455494

The game's relatively old by this point but there's still a thread.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Momomo posted:

Actually, Steal is pretty drat useful. With some luck, you can acquire some weapons or armors as rare steals before they'd normally be available in shops or as treasure in dungeons. If you're patient, you can also stock up on healing items like Hi-Potions and Ethers without having to pay for them. But to get the most use out of it, you have to know which monsters have items that are worth stealing. That means either having an FAQ on hand, or having already played the game a lot.

But if you don't feel like dealing with that, you can also make it through the game without bothering with Steal at all.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Momomo posted:

So I've been playing V some, is Thief a job I should be using? I've gotten a few cool things, but 90% of the time Galuf is failing to steal anything at all, and bosses don't seem to have anything.

Also, I never expected a little girl to be so good with her fists, but Monk Leene is like my strongest character.

Thief in FFV is worth it if you look up what to steal beforehand. There are parts of the game where the enemies have a rare steal that is way above the weapons you should have at that point. It's also nice to have abilities like easier fleeing from battles, running faster in cities and stuff, and seeing hidden pathways without needing to know about them.

Also they have the highest speed in the game and mastering them lets you give that speed to other classes which can be useful.

Their damage will always be crap though

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Thief in FFV is worth it if you look up what to steal beforehand.

Doesn't that practically sum up every FF game in which stealing is useful, though, aside from maybe FFIX?

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Kyrosiris posted:

Doesn't that practically sum up every FF game in which stealing is useful, though, aside from maybe FFIX?

There's FFX - pretty much almost any enemy has something worth stealing, and Rikku isn't going to be doing much other than Stealing, Mixing or Using.

There's also FF8, where Mug is almost always suprerior to Attack except for certain items (like the Power Generator).

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

ApplesandOranges posted:

There's FFX - pretty much almost any enemy has something worth stealing, and Rikku isn't going to be doing much other than Stealing, Mixing or Using.

I knew those Al Bhed were no good. They're a bad influence on the good, honest Sin-fearing Yevonites of Spira.

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

People who don't bother with Steal are going to think its a waste of time. The only game where it really is lame is IV, thanks to mechanics.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Always steal from bosses, in every game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

I knew those Al Bhed were no good. They're a bad influence on the good, honest Sin-fearing Yevonites of Spira.

Wakka account spotted.

Has there been any talk of porting more old FFs to phones? FFI-III is great and all but I'd like to play some of the actually good ones. Basically I just want V.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Barudak posted:

Basically I just want V.

I would do borderline-illegal things for FF5A on Android.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Kyrosiris posted:

I would do borderline-illegal things for FF5A on Android.

I have used a GBA emulator on my super old Android Tablet and it works just fine but I got annoyed with the lack of buttons and stopped

Kyrosiris posted:

Yeah pretty much. FF9 could only put awesome steals everywhere because they know you had to always have a Thief in the party I guess, the other FFs didn't want to force you to always use your thief.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

I have used a GBA emulator on my super old Android Tablet and it works just fine but I got annoyed with the lack of buttons and stopped

Given that I have a hardware keyboard, maybe I should try that. :v:

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Dragonatrix posted:

S.S.H (Saitama Saisyu Heiki); he's done a ton of great remixes of other stuff. Have a couple of the more relevant ones.

:ms:

Thanks, I've been looking for the artist for a while now.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Yeah pretty much. FF9 could only put awesome steals everywhere because they know you had to always have a Thief in the party I guess, the other FFs didn't want to force you to always use your thief.
I thought IV made stealing the least useful, just because Edge joins up fairly late in the game. At least in the other games you get the ability to steal either early on or about midway (in Rikku's case) at the most.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Don't forget how there isn't anything at all worth stealing (I seriously can't think of a single thing) and if Edge fails he damages himself!

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I'm pretty sure there isn't a single thing worth stealing in VI either, and Locke is supposed to be one of the most important characters.

Thief in FFV is worth it if you look up what to steal beforehand. There are parts of the game where the enemies have a rare steal that is way above the weapons you should have at that point. It's also nice to have abilities like easier fleeing from battles, running faster in cities and stuff, and seeing hidden pathways without needing to know about them.

Also they have the highest speed in the game and mastering them lets you give that speed to other classes which can be useful.

Their damage will always be crap though

Yeah, I don't think I'm gonna bother. I don't want to have to look up every enemy in the game just to make this class useful. Even if there is stuff worth stealing, 10/255 chance is terrible and sounds completely unfun to deal with.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Except the common steals are worth it too. You can steal hi-potions, for instance, a long time before they're available to buy. And pretty much every dungeon has some nice things.

Also, Thief is the Job with the "Find Passages" ability. So if you want to be able to see all the hidden paths (And FFV loves its hidden paths) you need to use a thief.

It's only near endgame that rare steals become the worthwhile stuff.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

CloseFriend posted:

I thought IV made stealing the least useful, just because Edge joins up fairly late in the game. At least in the other games you get the ability to steal either early on or about midway (in Rikku's case) at the most.

11 by far has the most useless Steal because it either does not work for gently caress or the enemy outright has nothing at all, and it's got a 5-minute cooldown. Plus the only items you ever get from snagging poo poo are worthless vendor trash.

It's useful only in three situations: stealing your L75 Limit Break testimony (as it's the only way you can get one), stealing from Maat during your L75 Limit Break fight (you instantly win if you successfully Steal from him when fighting him as a Thief), and maybe occasionally perhaps on an off chance getting an extra piece of Dynamis currency if the stars align.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

There's good stealing to be had in FFVI in the Magitek factory, if I recall. Also the floating continent. Most of the bosses in Kefka's Tower have good loot too I think? But when you get him back in the WiR his job becomes swinging the Valiant Knife, which is probably the game's most broken weapon, as many times as he can.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
It seems like stealing would be a great way to include more fun stuff. Key items with no use but interesting flavor text, random useful consumables (Lets say a Potent Protection Potion and it does protect/shell/regen to all party members, just throwing poo poo out there), and side quests and other stuff. Steal a list of ingredients from someone, a key that opens a building in a city that you previously couldn't access with a boss inside, anything. Geez.

Instead its mostly limited to generic consumables, and equipment from the next area early.

Have fun with it fellas.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Dr Pepper posted:

Except the common steals are worth it too. You can steal hi-potions, for instance, a long time before they're available to buy. And pretty much every dungeon has some nice things.

Also, Thief is the Job with the "Find Passages" ability. So if you want to be able to see all the hidden paths (And FFV loves its hidden paths) you need to use a thief.

It's only near endgame that rare steals become the worthwhile stuff.

You can get the bow that does Rapidfire early on in World 2, and Twin Lances early if you go to the basement of the World 2 castle before you are supposed to.

Off the top of my head those are the most important rare steals.

Shaezerus posted:

11 by far has the most useless Steal because it either does not work for gently caress or the enemy outright has nothing at all, and it's got a 5-minute cooldown. Plus the only items you ever get from snagging poo poo are worthless vendor trash.

It's useful only in three situations: stealing your L75 Limit Break testimony (as it's the only way you can get one), stealing from Maat during your L75 Limit Break fight (you instantly win if you successfully Steal from him when fighting him as a Thief), and maybe occasionally perhaps on an off chance getting an extra piece of Dynamis currency if the stars align.
When I was leveling Thief to 30 as my first job (like an idiot) I used to steal currency from mobs while waiting for Kazham parties, I remember the goblins had silver or gold beastcoins which actually sold for a decent amount, especially if you're waiting around in Kazham doing nothing. I would steal > flee and zone the monsters by the exit where people partied up and get loads of angry /tells :I

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 16:37 on Sep 18, 2012

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

Defiance Industries posted:

There's good stealing to be had in FFVI in the Magitek factory, if I recall. Also the floating continent. Most of the bosses in Kefka's Tower have good loot too I think? But when you get him back in the WiR his job becomes swinging the Valiant Knife, which is probably the game's most broken weapon, as many times as he can.

This is probably sperglord level poo poo, but Elixers and Megalixers are a rare steal from the enemies on the Solitary Island, and you can get Ribbons from Brachiosaurs.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Steal is pretty useful in FFXII. Since enemies don't drop gil, stealing loot from them can double your income.

So of course there's no convenient gambit for it. :shepicide:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Dr Pepper posted:

Steal is pretty useful in FFXII. Since enemies don't drop gil, stealing loot from them can double your income.

So of course there's no convenient gambit for it. :shepicide:

You can use the Enemy: HP=100% gambit for random enemies. Put it on the leader and they'll get one chance to steal before the rest of the party cleans up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

voltron lion force posted:

You can use the Enemy: HP=100% gambit for random enemies. Put it on the leader and they'll get one chance to steal before the rest of the party cleans up.

I just waited to attack until he had successfully stolen.