Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xarg
Sep 17, 2008

IF A MAN DRINK LIKE THAT AND HE DONT EAT HE IS GOING TO DIE
Ground chili? Or ground cayenne pepper?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

smallTalkExpress posted:

Alright, I've been using this sauce for years; but I have know idea what it actually is. I just add it to anything that's semi Asian. It is delicious, but I no nothing about it except for that smug looking man staring at me and BLACK BEANS. Does anyone know what type of sauce it is and where I can find some official uses for it?

It's Lao Gan Ma. Who except Old Godmother herself knows for sure exactly what's in there? There's definitely Sichuan peppercorn, and maybe there's a whiff of cinnamon. It's not my favourite, although it's very good. The official use for it is "every- and anything".

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

xarg posted:

Ground chili? Or ground cayenne pepper?

Ground Kashmiri chili. poo poo be hot.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011
So I'm going to be going to Thailand tomorrow: Is there anything that GWS would reccommend trying while i'm out there?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I tried to make my own flour tortillas the other night with the following recipe:

9 oz. AP flour
1 tsp kosher salt
1/3 cup lard
1/2 cup cool water

I combined everything to coarse crumbiness by pulsing in the food processor, then added the water while spinning. Took it out and kneaded, rested on counter (in plastic wrap) for 1 hour, then rolled out and cooked on an ungreased 375 degree electric griddle for 4 minutes / side.

The dough cooked up to a naan-like consistency instead of a tortilla, they weren't very pliable at all. What did I do wrong?

sporkisfaster
Dec 5, 2007
The Texan
Recipe request:

So I'm goddamn near addicted to Thai Curry Wings (and Garlic Parmesan for that matter) from Buffalo Wild Wings. I've searched everywhere my google-fu could take me and can't find anything on this glorious sauce. I know I can buy it from the store but they'll probably stop making it at some point. Any ideas GWS?

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
What's the simplest way for me to prepare and cook sweet potatoes? I'm only doing it for nutritional values and not some delicious recipe to impress people.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

smallTalkExpress posted:

Alright, I've been using this sauce for years; but I have know idea what it actually is. I just add it to anything that's semi Asian. It is delicious, but I no nothing about it except for that smug looking man staring at me and BLACK BEANS. Does anyone know what type of sauce it is and where I can find some official uses for it?

I found it on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Laoganma-Black-Beans-Chilli-Sauce/dp/B00773CJ1G
It's Laoganma Black Bean Chili sauce.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Dudebro posted:

What's the simplest way for me to prepare and cook sweet potatoes? I'm only doing it for nutritional values and not some delicious recipe to impress people.

Steam. You don't have to add anything to them because they're delicious on their own.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Dudebro posted:

Heat them until they're edible.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Hed posted:

I tried to make my own flour tortillas the other night with the following recipe:

9 oz. AP flour
1 tsp kosher salt
1/3 cup lard
1/2 cup cool water

I combined everything to coarse crumbiness by pulsing in the food processor, then added the water while spinning. Took it out and kneaded, rested on counter (in plastic wrap) for 1 hour, then rolled out and cooked on an ungreased 375 degree electric griddle for 4 minutes / side.

The dough cooked up to a naan-like consistency instead of a tortilla, they weren't very pliable at all. What did I do wrong?
Did they puff up while you were cooking them? 4 minutes a side sounds like a fairly long time to cook them - you want to flip it after it changes color everywhere and bubbles start to form, then flip it again when the bubbles have gotten large, then take it off almost immediately.

And the easiest way to make a sweet potato is to microwave it.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Dudebro posted:

Boil them like regular tates, with the skin on. Remove skin when boiled. Eat
Edit: Or microwave them. I don't have microwave now, and it's the weirdest thing.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS

Black Griffon posted:

Boil them like regular tates, with the skin on. Remove skin when boiled. Eat
Edit: Or microwave them. I don't have microwave now, and it's the weirdest thing.

Forgive me for not knowing a basic thing, but how long should I boil them generally? I'll keep tinkering with different times until I get something desirable, but what's the general boiling time I should aim for?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Dudebro posted:

Forgive me for not knowing a basic thing, but how long should I boil them generally? I'll keep tinkering with different times until I get something desirable, but what's the general boiling time I should aim for?

A good rule is until you can slide a fork into them easily.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

A jargogle posted:

So I'm going to be going to Thailand tomorrow: Is there anything that GWS would reccommend trying while i'm out there?

Uh, all of it? The Thai cuisine is one of the tastiest in the world. Eat all you can get your hands on and have an open mind. Particular personal favourites are

* Som Tam, a sour-sweet-salty salad of shredded green papaya, peanuts, dried shrimp (don't let this out) and other stuff. Pounded in a mortar to make the flavours blend, seasoned according to your taste. Often served with sticky rice and kai yang for a Northern combo dish.

* Green Thai curry (the actual name means "sweet aromatic curry" and boy does it live up to the name) in any shape.

* Panaeng curry with beef

* Pad thai noodles (eat lots of this)

* Mango on coconut sticky rice (every single day)

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Dudebro posted:

Like Flash said, using a fork to test them works well. And if you want to try something a tiny bit more advanced than plain boiled sweet potatoes (even though they're good plain), boil some carrots with the sweet potatoes and mash them. It's a wonderful combination.

Captain Payne
Sep 27, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I've been cooking stirfry for dinner every night (chicken, beef, or turkey, sometimes shrimp + an assortment of vegetables) because I don't know how to cook anything else. Are there any simple recipes or similar cooking techniques that I could pick up pretty easily?

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

sporkisfaster posted:

Recipe request:

So I'm goddamn near addicted to Thai Curry Wings (and Garlic Parmesan for that matter) from Buffalo Wild Wings. I've searched everywhere my google-fu could take me and can't find anything on this glorious sauce. I know I can buy it from the store but they'll probably stop making it at some point. Any ideas GWS?

So i haven't had these particular Thai Curry Wings, but I could make a few suggestions as to where to start for something like that. What color were they? There's like 3 basic thai curries that I know of: Green, Red, and Yellow. I'm assuming here they're based on those curry sauces. Also what was the consistency of the sauce? was it really thick, or more saucy? Was it creamy like it had coconut milk in it? I'm thinking it might just be wings tossed in a curry sauce, which sounds kind of good.

From a brief googling, it looks like the sauce is based on coconut milk (I found this random list of ingredients for the sauce), which has stuff like coconut, lemon juice, ginger, garlic and chiles, which sounds pretty close to a curry sauce. I'd find a recipe that uses red curry paste and coconut milk, but then just toss the wings in the sauce instead of cooking stuff in it. But that might not be close at all. I can't see it not tasting good, but then again I have a thing for thai curries.

Edit:
Man, cooking videos get weird on youtube sometimes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLZrj3fKVW0

Eeyo fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Sep 17, 2012

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
Boiling works but I feel like microwaving them until they are squishy is just better, you save a lot of time and energy. Simple serving ideas is salt and butter, if you want to be fancy it goes well with a simple green salad or tart fruit, something like tart apples or cranberries.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Eeyo posted:

Edit:
Man, cooking videos get weird on youtube sometimes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLZrj3fKVW0

Genius, I bet this woman rakes in the affiliate dollars.

Fisticuffs
Aug 9, 2007

Okay you a goon but what's a goon to a goblin?
Hey guys

Guys

I am reducing pasta sauce(from scratch) in my cast iron pan. I think someone told me that you're not supposed to cook really acidic foods in cast iron pans(whoops). Did I gently caress it up forever? Will I need to reseason it or can I just wipe it down with oil?

sporkisfaster
Dec 5, 2007
The Texan

Eeyo posted:

So i haven't had these particular Thai Curry Wings, but I...

This is what they look like.

I'm guessing red so what you mentioned might work.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Fisticuffs posted:

Hey guys

Guys

I am reducing pasta sauce(from scratch) in my cast iron pan. I think someone told me that you're not supposed to cook really acidic foods in cast iron pans(whoops). Did I gently caress it up forever? Will I need to reseason it or can I just wipe it down with oil?

Cooking something acidic quickly in cast iron is fine, but long-term cooking can damage the seasoning and will make your food taste metallic. I'd just move it over to a stainless pan.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Fisticuffs posted:

Hey guys

Guys

It's solid iron. There is very little you can do to gently caress it up forever short of warping or cracking it. If the seasoning is heavy enough, acidic foods are fine from time to time, and if it looks like it's a bit off or food starts sticking to it, just wipe it down with oil while it's hot (after wiping it clean of course), then turn off the heat and let it cool.

Also what ricola said. It's not going to destroy your pan and you can fix any damage done to the seasoning fairly easily.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Sjurygg posted:

It's Lao Gan Ma. Who except Old Godmother herself knows for sure exactly what's in there?

It's pretty easy to make, actually. Heat a good quantity of neutral oil until just simmering and add a lot of minced shallots or onions. Cook until the shallots no longer bubble (you're basically making a chile and shallot confit). Add fresh ground dried hot chiles (usually japones) and a bit of ground sichuan peppercorn. Add an rear end load of salt and some MSG. Cool and jar.

You can add deep fried soybeans if you want, but they're not really my favorite. Or peanuts, but I'm allergic.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
If I wanted to mix up some spices into some sort of sweet-rear end spice blend, what would be the best way to store them to keep it fresh? Or is that something I don't need to worry about?

Slifter
Feb 8, 2011
Just store them in a cool dry airtight container out of the sun. I aim to use all mine in 6-9 months but it should last a year no problem.

pandariot
Feb 19, 2012

My local farm box this week had about 20 Anaheim peppers in it. I have no idea what to do with these. Suggestions please?

(Also, I am a beginner so specific recipes would be appreciated.)

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone know anything about Persimmons? I mean these kind:

which are about the size of large grapes, not Japanese Persimmons which are apple-size. There's a tree on our property, and while they're pretty tasty to just eat plain I'd like to make something out of them. I can't find any good recipes online, so I figured maybe someone on here might know a good use for them.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

TychoCelchuuu posted:

Did they puff up while you were cooking them? 4 minutes a side sounds like a fairly long time to cook them - you want to flip it after it changes color everywhere and bubbles start to form, then flip it again when the bubbles have gotten large, then take it off almost immediately.

Yes they puffed up quite a bit. I'm going to turn down the heat a bit and watch them more next time. Thank you.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

I made this really nice avocado spread on a whim today, and I really want to make more of it, because it rocked. I'm just wondering how long it might last in the fridge, and whether I can freeze it.

For the record:
Crush half a handful cashew nuts and mix them with half an avocado. Add a dash of olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and a pinch or two of your favorite herb salt and mix well. Put on bread and eat.

I'm thinking about squeezing half a lemon over it next time, to see how it turns out, but how quickly will it turn bad?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Black Griffon posted:

I made this really nice avocado spread on a whim today, and I really want to make more of it, because it rocked. I'm just wondering how long it might last in the fridge, and whether I can freeze it.

For the record:
Crush half a handful cashew nuts and mix them with half an avocado. Add a dash of olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and a pinch or two of your favorite herb salt and mix well. Put on bread and eat.

I'm thinking about squeezing half a lemon over it next time, to see how it turns out, but how quickly will it turn bad?

If you vacuum seal it and low temp sousvide it will pasteurize the avos and make them keep their green. It is then freezable but you'll lose the texture of the cashews. Maybe make the spread without the cashews and add them as needed?

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

Black Griffon posted:

For the record:

In a bowl covered with plastic wrap, you should figure that it'll last a day, maybe two. Mashed avocado turns brown quickly. I do think that the lemon juice is a good idea, though I've never tried that.

If you want to maximuze the time the spread will keep, push the plastic wrap all the way down into the spread until it makes complete contact with the entire surface of the spread, and try to push out any air bubbles. The less oxygen, the better.

Gravity's sous vide idea will be much better if you want to put in the :effort:

Mach420 fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Sep 18, 2012

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Hed posted:

Yes they puffed up quite a bit. I'm going to turn down the heat a bit and watch them more next time. Thank you.
Or maybe hotter. Apropos of nothing I can recommend, weirdly enough, this video by film director Robert Rodriguez because it's the only YouTube video about tortillas I've ever seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBgsLmDcL78

The cooking action starts at about 4 minutes.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
I have been growing a pot of basil in my windowsill mostly just to have something green in the house. It's getting out of hand though so I plan to use it to make tomato sauce. Will it make a difference in the flavor that one bunch of it has started blooming?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I'm going to make this recipe from the chinese cooking thread tomorrow and was wondering if people had suggestions for a fairly easy vegetable side dish I can make with it.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Scott Bakula posted:

I'm going to make this recipe from the chinese cooking thread tomorrow and was wondering if people had suggestions for a fairly easy vegetable side dish I can make with it.

Stir fried bok choy with garlic, ginger, a splash of broth, light soy, and thin sliced Chinese bacon or sausage would be awesome. Or Chinese (or regular) broccoli stir fried with some garlic, sesame oil, a pinch of sugar, and oyster sauce loosened with some broth.

xarg
Sep 17, 2008

IF A MAN DRINK LIKE THAT AND HE DONT EAT HE IS GOING TO DIE

GrAviTy84 posted:

It's pretty easy to make, actually. Heat a good quantity of neutral oil until just simmering and add a lot of minced shallots or onions. Cook until the shallots no longer bubble (you're basically making a chile and shallot confit). Add fresh ground dried hot chiles (usually japones) and a bit of ground sichuan peppercorn. Add an rear end load of salt and some MSG. Cool and jar.

You can add deep fried soybeans if you want, but they're not really my favorite. Or peanuts, but I'm allergic.
How long would this last in the fridge, roughly? If I were to toss it in an airtight container.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

xarg posted:

How long would this last in the fridge, roughly? If I were to toss it in an airtight container.

Jeez, if it's basically a confit with a bunch of salt added, I'd guess...until the heat death of the universe maybe?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mach420
Jun 22, 2002
Bandit at 6 'o clock - Pull my finger

wheatpuppy posted:

I have been growing a pot of basil in my windowsill mostly just to have something green in the house. It's getting out of hand though so I plan to use it to make tomato sauce. Will it make a difference in the flavor that one bunch of it has started blooming?

The stalk of basil with the blooms will start getting woodier, thicker, and have crappier flavor over time as it develops. You can just cut the flowers off to prevent that.