Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Pookah posted:

This site might be helpful:

http://www.directferries.ie/

I think the three scottish ferryports you'd be interested in would be Troon, Stranraer and Cairnryan and I think the fare is in or around 30-35 pounds 1 way for a foot passenger and the duration around the 2 hour mark.

Awesome. Thank you, I found the site but wasn't sure about travel time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Miftan posted:

Awesome. Thank you, I found the site but wasn't sure about travel time.

No probs :) I haven't traveled that route in a ferry myself, though I've done Holyhead - Dun laoghaire many times, and oh god, Rosslare - Cherbourg; all 18 glorious hours of it...

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Goons, I'm tired of seeing old castles. What are some cool things to see in Edinburgh besides castles?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Miftan posted:

Goons, I'm tired of seeing old castles. What are some cool things to see in Edinburgh besides castles?

Football.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

WARNING:I AM A FASCIST PIECE OF SHIT.
Police beatings get me hard
Well it's weekend, go people-watching and witness how normal girls are suddenly dressed as hookers. This fascinating behavior can be seen all over the UK though, not just Edinburgh

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Rojkir posted:

Well it's weekend, go people-watching and witness how normal girls are suddenly dressed as hookers. This fascinating behavior can be seen all over the UK though, not just Edinburgh

I've already seen a bit of that. It caught me by suprise when she slapped me after I offered her a 50.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Rojkir posted:

It's like they are asking for it, am I right? :q:

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How does a "normal girl" dress exactly?

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost

Limastock posted:

How does a "normal girl" dress exactly?

More square centimeters of clothing than makeup is a good start.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anyone ever hear of Gabriel's Hostel in Bratislava?

It has some interesting reviews to say the least

quote:

DO NOT stay here!!! And don't trust the staff at the info desk at the train station!! We were roped into paying for the owner's taxi from the station, and when we got to the place, there were signs all up the stairs saying "STOP HOSTEL GABRIEL." The place was horrible. We saw mould growing on the pillows.

I kind of want to check it out just to see how horrible it is

Mrs. Mahler
Mar 8, 2006
Why a duck?
I booked a trip to Europe scheduled for next week. I'll fly into Dusseldorf and out from Madrid (it was cheaper to fly into Dusseldorf and then take Ryanair from Cologne to Spain). I wanted to see Barcelona, Granada, Seville, and perhaps a few day trips in the south.

Any opinions on how the protests will affect tourists? From the looks of things now, I think I could just avoid the squares where the protests are but I don't want to be there if things get really hairy. Does anyone know if there are big protests in Seville and Granada too?

If things get bad, my plan B is to work my way down to Madrid by train.

Mrs. Mahler fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Sep 27, 2012

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004
I was in Madrid this summer during the miner protests. As long as you're not participating in any of them/not in the same plaza observing you will be fine. They're not usually during the middle of the day when you'd be going out to see museums or whatever.

Ajaxify
May 6, 2009
So my fiancee changed her mind and decided that she wanted to head to Amsterdam. We'll be there from the 12th to the 16th. What suggestions do you have for things to do/see?

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Ajaxify posted:

So my fiancee changed her mind and decided that she wanted to head to Amsterdam. We'll be there from the 12th to the 16th. What suggestions do you have for things to do/see?

I spent 2 days just walking around without actually doing anything, it's all amazing. There's a free ferry behind central station that leads to some pretty cool restaraunts on the water which is a pretty good way to spend an afternoon.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Ajaxify posted:

Does she like cats? If she likes cats then I have 2 excellent suggestions.

1) De Poezenboot
-Pet some cats on a boat, buy a couple of t-shirts.
http://www.poezenboot.nl/

2) De Kattenkabinet
-A man had a cat who died and he went nuts and turned his house into a cat museum. It is awesome don't skip it.
http://www.kattenkabinet.nl/

Wagoneer
Jul 16, 2006

hay there!
So my wife and I are in Cork and this place seems kind of run down. We're staying at the Hayfield Manor by the University. I guess we'll go to the Blarney castle tomorrow... But really we want to drink and have a good time. Any ideas?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Wagoneer posted:

So my wife and I are in Cork and this place seems kind of run down. We're staying at the Hayfield Manor by the University. I guess we'll go to the Blarney castle tomorrow... But really we want to drink and have a good time. Any ideas?

Cork is full of squeaky Corkonians - go to Galway it's much more fun.

(Mostly kidding, but the Cork accent is quite annoying and high-pitched)

Wagoneer
Jul 16, 2006

hay there!

Pookah posted:

Cork is full of squeaky Corkonians - go to Galway it's much more fun.

(Mostly kidding, but the Cork accent is quite annoying and high-pitched)

We went to Galway our first 2 nights - it was awesome :) Heading to Dublin in 2 days, too.

NihilismNow
Aug 31, 2003

Ajaxify posted:

Amsterdam stedelijk museum has re-opened. yay.

Van Gogh, Rijksmuseum: still closed (though the van Gogh collection is partly on display in the hermitage dependance and one small part of the Rijksmuseum with the best pieces is still open).

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

NihilismNow posted:

Amsterdam stedelijk museum has re-opened. yay.

Van Gogh, Rijksmuseum: still closed (though the van Gogh collection is partly on display in the hermitage dependance and one small part of the Rijksmuseum with the best pieces is still open).

Was the Rijksmuseum ever fully open at any point in history, or is it just like a running joke in Amsterdam? I went to the Rijks for the first time literally in summer of 2007 and it was 90% closed/under renovation then. I went back in 2011 and it was exactly the same as summer 2007.

Bastard
Jul 13, 2001

We are each responsible for our own destiny.

Saladman posted:

Was the Rijksmuseum ever fully open at any point in history, or is it just like a running joke in Amsterdam? I went to the Rijks for the first time literally in summer of 2007 and it was 90% closed/under renovation then. I went back in 2011 and it was exactly the same as summer 2007.

It's a joke. Renovation started in 2003, they plan to finish it around 2013.

Kobalt
Mar 19, 2003

I plan on traveling from:

Munich -> Salzburg -> Vienna -> Prague -> Leipzig

I want to rent a smartphone to save on costs and not have a $1000 roaming data bill or something when I get home. I want it for maps, translations, "What do I do now?", "When is the next train/bus/mule arriving?", conversion rates, Facebooking to the world "Hey guys, let me annoy you with pictures of my travels!", and just to be a technologically dependent nerd and Foursquare my location or something.

I'm not as interested in talking as much as I am in internetting.

Is there a good cheap way to do this?

About how much do they cost?

How do I return it when I'm done? Tell me about taking the internet with me!

Edit:
Also willing to buy if the price is right. Maybe I'll pick up a compatible phone from ebay, and get the sim card separately.

Kobalt fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Oct 5, 2012

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Kobalt posted:

I plan on traveling from:

Munich -> Salzburg -> Vienna -> Prague -> Leipzig

I want to rent a smartphone to save on costs and not have a $1000 roaming data bill or something when I get home. I want it for maps, translations, "What do I do now?", "When is the next train/bus/mule arriving?", conversion rates, Facebooking to the world "Hey guys, let me annoy you with pictures of my travels!", and just to be a technologically dependent nerd and Foursquare my location or something.

I'm not as interested in talking as much as I am in internetting.

Is there a good cheap way to do this?

About how much do they cost?

Can you not unlock the phone you already have—or an older smartphone—e.g. by hacking it or by paying $$ // calling your carrier? This would definitely be the best way as phone rental services are usually either/both A) loving terrible phones and B) hilariously expensive.

Also, as far as I'm aware, there is no good data plan in Europe for multiple countries. Cell phone service in Europe is about as insulting as the US was in the late 90s/early 2000s (remember when area codes mattered? well it's still almost like that here given how small the countries are). You can get prepaid SIMs with good data rates in Germany, in Austria, or in Czech Republic, but not one good for all three. Expect to pay around $1/MB for the cheapest ones* (e.g. WorldSIM).

*or you could buy a SIM card for every country, in which case you can get data for more like $1 for 20 MB, but then you'd have to buy and keep switching SIMs.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

Just buy a (second hand) lower end android phone like the ZTE blade or HTC wildfire and use that in combination with wifi.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Rojkir posted:

Just buy a (second hand) lower end android phone like the ZTE blade or HTC wildfire and use that in combination with wifi.

It's way cheaper and more dependable to get a month of internet for your cell phone than it is to pay for hotspots.

Troubadour
Mar 1, 2001
Forum Veteran
I use blau.de and I'm happy with it. If you don't get any options, it's 24c/MB in Germany for data and 49c/MB in the EU. You can buy a 50MB EU option for 4.99. You can buy a SIM and refill cards all over Germany at DM and Norma. There's other providers like Congstar that offer similar rates, if you like. I suspect that will be a better deal for you than buying 3 different prepay cards.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

In Vienna, go to the tourist hot spots (Stephansplatz and Schwedenplatz come to mind) and find a very bored looking guy in a windbreaker hawking Vectone mobile sim cards. I think they give you the card for free (that's the deal on their website, at least), so don't pay for the card if it's empty...make sure to clarify this. Then you load 8.80 euros on it and that gives you 1,000 "units." Each unit is 1 minute, 1 sms, or 1 megabyte. It lasts for 15 or 30 days.

For pre-paid data service I don't think you can beat that in Austria.

edit: There are free wifi hotspots around Vienna called "freewave" usually. All mcdonalds and starbucks also have free wifi and you don't have to be a customer to use it. Use google maps pre-cache feature to load entire city centers onto your phone via wifi or before you leave to save on data charges. You can probably get away without cellular data, but I will admit things are easier if you have it.

sleepy gary fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 5, 2012

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

DNova posted:

Use google maps pre-cache feature to load entire city centers onto your phone via wifi or before you leave to save on data charges.

This sounds rad, how do you do it?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Arnold of Soissons posted:

This sounds rad, how do you do it?

I think it depends on your version of google maps and/or android. You have to enable it in labs first, then go to some city, then in options it will say "make available offline" and you can select how much area to save, and it shows you how much it costs you in storage space. It's not much if you have a relatively recent phone.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

DNova posted:

I think it depends on your version of google maps and/or android. You have to enable it in labs first, then go to some city, then in options it will say "make available offline" and you can select how much area to save, and it shows you how much it costs you in storage space. It's not much if you have a relatively recent phone.

Thanks, I can't wait to take a crack at that.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Thanks, I can't wait to take a crack at that.

That's what helped me navigate Vienna before I had any data service. It can be quite useful.

Rojkir
Jun 26, 2007

Thoguh posted:

It's way cheaper and more dependable to get a month of internet for your cell phone than it is to pay for hotspots.

I mend free wifi of course. Should be abundant.

Wagoneer
Jul 16, 2006

hay there!
In Dublin staying by the docks/O2 for the next few days. Anything going on aside from (insert tourist thing here) that would be worth doing?

sewersider
Jun 12, 2008

Damned near Freudian slipped on my arse
Hi goons. I'm planning a trip to Europe early next year and have been thinking about going mid Febuary to the end of march.
I'm think Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, the Czech Republic and possibly Austria.
Essentially I love the beers, but I'm also really looking forward to the museums and history side of things.
My main question more is pretty much how doable is travel (mainly by rail) in European winter?

I'm sure this's been asked plenty of times but this thread is huge.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

sewersider posted:

Hi goons. I'm planning a trip to Europe early next year and have been thinking about going mid Febuary to the end of march.
I'm think Netherlands, Belgium, Germany, the Czech Republic and possibly Austria.
Essentially I love the beers, but I'm also really looking forward to the museums and history side of things.
My main question more is pretty much how doable is travel (mainly by rail) in European winter?

As doable as it is in summer.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

sewersider posted:

I've been taking busses everywhere. It's a lot cheaper if you don't mind spending litteraly 10 hours on a bus to get somewhere. Megabus.com tickets go for really cheap, though i'm not sure exactly what their destinations are. Definitely look it up though

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

sewersider posted:

When you say Belgium, do you mean Brussels, or do you want to see more of the country? Just curious, but there are near beer things *everywhere*.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sewersider posted:

I did rail from zurich->munich->prague->berlin->amsterdam->paris during december and january and it was perfectly fine. The people there know how to deal with snow, our taxi drivers were drifting in mercedes benzes like it was a daily thing in Berlin (and it was). Never had one delay the entire time on the rails too. Everything was efficient and ran like clock work.

I WILL say however, that if you plan on doing the backpacking/hostel thing, be cognizant of how far your hostel is from the train stations. My lady and I had some long walks in the snow I could have done without.

Specifically walking to Alexanderplatz from the berlin rail way station in 2 feet of fresh snow was a nightmare and one of the only times I broke down and got a taxi. Just be ready because unless you live in Minnesota here you will not be used to the cold. Just layer up and get some good gloves and you will be fine. I managed to do the whole trip in basically some thermals and a U.S. Navy p-coat fyi.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I'm studying abroad in Salzburg, and I have a week (and the adjoining weekends) off coming up relatively soon. I'll wind up seeing quite a bit of Austria during the main course of the program, so what are some good places to go outside of Salzburg that won't break the bank? I was vaguely thinking of seeing the Sedlec Ossuary, and of visiting a friend in Rome, but those are both negotiable and I don't really have a lot of ideas besides that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Go to Rome.