Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Dross posted:

I just waited to attack until he had successfully stolen.

I always felt like that was a bit too tedious. Like if I'm going for something specific sure, but if I'm just trying to get some bonus loot from random enemies then I like just going for a single steal. If he gets it: great, if not: on to the next one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

voltron lion force posted:

You can use the Enemy: HP=100% gambit for random enemies. Put it on the leader and they'll get one chance to steal before the rest of the party cleans up.

Yeah but it's still kind of a pain.

Plus in the International version which I'm playing the characters that know steal aren't exactly frontliner material. :v: So making them the leader leads to trouble. (Since the Leader gets the brunt of attacks)

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Dr Pepper posted:

Plus in the International version which I'm playing the characters that know steal aren't exactly frontliner material. :v: So making them the leader leads to trouble. (Since the Leader gets the brunt of attacks)

What you mean you didn't make Balthier a Knight? For shame (he has an awesome greatsword animation).

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Dr Pepper posted:

My Vaan was a White Mage and I still had him leading the team with a Foe: HP = 100% -> Steal gambit. :colbert: Balthier led my other team with the same as an Archer. Even squishy characters aren't THAT squishy.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Pesky Splinter posted:

I'd like to hear a version where the singer has a less heavy accent. It does get a bit incomprehensible at times, but goddamn if I don't like that :allears:

"How could I say, she was miiiiiiiiiiIIIIIINNNNE!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRi4xtdUP5I

Not quite the same in other ways, of course, but it's oddly difficult to find To Zanarkand/The Skies Above covers that use the lyrics. Most of the time if you're hearing lyrics, you're hearing them straight from the mouth of the original MISTAH GOO.

That said, I was a lot more forgiving of his accent after I saw a video of him performing it live, because he's pretty awesome:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86aGDavDloM

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

voltron lion force posted:

What you mean you didn't make Balthier a Knight? For shame (he has an awesome greatsword animation).

Balthier uses a gun like a proper Sky Pirate. :colbert:

keet
Aug 20, 2005

My Lovely Horse posted:

Aeris is a great character for that. Everything about her design says meek damsel in distress, pure flower girl and whatnot, but she's actually a tomboy, completely into the idea of going on an adventure, and figures out the plot way in advance of everybody else. In one scene she herself has to remind Cloud that she grew up in the slums when he gets overly protective, and I can't help but see that as commentary on perceived roles in the genre.

Join me next time when we talk about the depiction of black identity in FFVII with a special focus on the association with firearms.

Ironically, if you're of the Dragonquest frame of mind, Aeris is pretty close to The Princess; being a tomboy subversion at this point is cliche. :v:

I've always found Cloud's modern derail it ironic that not only is his game dedicated to the idea that being ambivalent is bad, but that the game directly after is literally about a stoic hardass and the game goes out of its way (sometimes too much) in hammering in that that kind of personality is the character pre-plot and is *bad* to have.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...
Two things.

1.) Final Fantasy IX is a glorious fun little game. It was a little too easy for me, but overall it was highly enjoyable. I just beat it, becoming the fourth main series game completed - IV, VII, and X being the others.

2.) I hope this isn't too far outside of this thread's purpose, but besides Final Fantasy XII International Zodiac and Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix are there any other fan "reimaginings" or English patches to PAL/JPN exclusives that I should look into tracking down? It doesn't have to be a Square/Enix creation, or even a RPG, but it would be preferred.

I apologize if the latter has already been answered - I read this thread a couple of pages a day but am still about 1,500 posts back from current. You all just have too drat much to talk/bitch about!

Vrikkian fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Sep 18, 2012

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Vrikkian posted:

2.) I hope this isn't too far outside of this thread's purpose, but besides Final Fantasy XII International Zodiac and Kingdom Hearts II Final Mix are there any other fan "reimaginings" or English patches to PAL/JPN exclusives that I should look into tracking down? It doesn't have to be a Square/Enix creation, or even a RPG, but it would be preferred.

I don't pay much attention to fan patches of Japan-only games, but I think there were a number from the SNES days- I believe Seiken Densetsu 3 (aka Secret of Mana 2) and Bahamut Lagoon were two supposedly good ones.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

I don't pay much attention to fan patches of Japan-only games, but I think there were a number from the SNES days- I believe Seiken Densetsu 3 (aka Secret of Mana 2) and Bahamut Lagoon were two supposedly good ones.

Bahamut Lagoon is a fun little strategy game where you can't control several of your units and there is an absolute bastard of a mission where you're expected to run through a nigh unending stream of artillery fire praying your uncontrollable units decide to attack that instead of faffing about and getting killed by them.

Other than that not bad at all.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Barudak posted:

Bahamut Lagoon is a fun little strategy game where you can't control several of your units and there is an absolute bastard of a mission where you're expected to run through a nigh unending stream of artillery fire praying your uncontrollable units decide to attack that instead of faffing about and getting killed by them.

Other than that not bad at all.

It's also the game where you can have a literally invincible character clean up entire maps for you in the end game.

That said, I enjoyed it. It's Fire Emblem meets Final Fantasy, with the usual strategy stuff except with combat being one round of a FF-like battle. And the story itself isn't too shabby.

As for others, I definitely recommend Seiken Densetsu 3, especially if you've enjoyed Secret of Mana, as it's also an action RPG, except here you get to choose a party of three from six characters, and you can do three different storylines depending on who your lead is.

I'm also a fan of Live A Live, a rather unique RPG with a bunch of different scenarios, each with its own distinct setting that has its own gameplay gimmick (ex. One scenario has item forging, one lets you learn moves from enemies, one doesn't even have any battles except one boss battle, etc.) that has quite a few twists and turns. I recommend that one if it sounds appealing to you.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...
Sorry, I should have mentioned that I have most of the SNES translations in the form of reproduction carts, so I was looking for newer generations (hence why I mentioned the two PS2 RPGs). I have Live-A-Live, Seiken 3, Bahamut Lagoon, Terranigma, Digital Devil I and II, Zelda: Parallel Worlds, and Radical Dreamers for US SNES.

I didn't even know that FF XII had the International Zodiac treatment done to it, and it sort of blew me away that it was done, so I was curious. I threw the KH II Final Mix in because it's more than just a translation of the Japanese version of original KH II.

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

penguinmambo posted:

Ironically, if you're of the Dragonquest frame of mind, Aeris is pretty close to The Princess; being a tomboy subversion at this point is cliche. :v:

I've always found Cloud's modern derail it ironic that not only is his game dedicated to the idea that being ambivalent is bad, but that the game directly after is literally about a stoic hardass and the game goes out of its way (sometimes too much) in hammering in that that kind of personality is the character pre-plot and is *bad* to have.

You are

Boofy
Sep 11, 2001

While everyone's on the topic of other RPGS, which dragon quest games would be considered good for someone who's new to the series?

Boofy fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Sep 19, 2012

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Eight for PS2 and Nine for DS. The other DS games are remakes of older ones and play like it, but I enjoyed them.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Boofy posted:

While everyone's on the topic of other RPGS, which dragon quest games would be considered good for someone who's new to the series?

Not 2, not 7, and 1 only if you're interested in a historical curiosity, so primitive as to be virtually unrelated to the series in its modern incarnation (which crystallized with 3). All of the others are excellent, and have very little to recommend them as preferable to any other as an entry point.

There's a thread for this, in which that question comes up often. You can get better opinions there.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I hadn't played a DQ game until VIII a few years ago and it remains my favorite. Its just really solid with cool graphics and good VA. The gameplay starts out pretty slow with just basic RPG poo poo but once you get skills unlocked it really opens up. There's this "tension" system where the characters power up DBZ style to do more damage at the cost of a turn. Enemies can knock down your tension before you attack so managing the tension levels to get off the biggest hits becomes the main draw of the combat and its works really well.

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

IV DS is generally accepted as an excellent introduction to the series. V is good too. VI is a bit long in the tooth for new comers. VII is for discerning and cultivated DQ fans only.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Dr Pepper posted:

That would be Gilder who uses guns like a proper Sky Pirate.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Dr Pepper posted:

Skies of Arcadia wishes to have words with you about how wrong you are.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
I don't see what you guys are getting at.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
I had my Balthier as a machinist too. Next minute: Told Balthier is the worst person to use guns.

Was it just me, or were Measures the worst weapon idea ever.

Also: Fran as Archer.

I did both.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Cyberbob posted:

I had my Balthier as a machinist too. Next minute: Told Balthier is the worst person to use guns.

Was it just me, or were Measures the worst weapon idea ever.

Also: Fran as Archer.

I did both.

The .2 second difference in their attack animations isn't really a big deal.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

TurnipFritter posted:

The .2 second difference in their attack animations isn't really a big deal.

Gotta optimize DPS in a forgiving single player game.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

Momomo posted:

I'm pretty sure there isn't a single thing worth stealing in VI either, and Locke is supposed to be one of the most important characters.
Well, there's the Imp armor, which is at least a fun gimmick.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Stealing in VI can get you some pretty decent World of Ruin armor in the World of Balance. What's more, some of it is armor that teaches magic, which at least makes it worth knowing about in a no espers challenge run. The main reason to steal in that game is to save money on consumables, though, which is of course not important at all in VI but can make a huge difference early on in V (and, I'm finding, Dimensions).

Evil Fluffy posted:

Skies of Arcadia wishes to have words with you about how wrong you are.

Gilder and Dyne used handguns.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Bongo Bill posted:

Stealing in VI can get you some pretty decent World of Ruin armor in the World of Balance. What's more, some of it is armor that teaches magic, which at least makes it worth knowing about in a no espers challenge run. The main reason to steal in that game is to save money on consumables, though, which is of course not important at all in VI but can make a huge difference early on in V (and, I'm finding, Dimensions).

Wait, what? I thought that the Paladin Shield was the only piece of equipment that taught magic, and it can only be acquired late enough that it wouldn't make much difference either way. :confused:

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
There are a few shields that teach some of the elemental spells, e.g. the Flame Shield. In the WoR, there's also something for shell and protect, I think, plus imp armors teach Imp and the cursed ring X-zone. But yeah, really only makes a difference if you're doing one of those challenges like he said.

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

Stealing is pretty useful early on in FFV mainly because you can grab some mythril swords way before you can buy them (They're a common steal on the ice soldiers in Walse, with potion as their rare one for some reason :v:) to not only get mythril swords early, but because they sell for a bunch.

When my friend and I were playing through it, he grabbed a bunch to buy up all the magic in Walse right away.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
I never got the point of stealing rare items from monsters in FF games because with the basic equipment you can pretty much clobber the poo poo out of enemies/bosses anyways. Just seems like a boring hassle.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

big duck equals goose posted:

I never got the point of stealing rare items from monsters in FF games because with the basic equipment you can pretty much clobber the poo poo out of enemies/bosses anyways. Just seems like a boring hassle.

Sometimes the other way of getting the equipment is a way more boring hassle. So far it's been important in FF9 because your abilities come from items. A random chest you might have skipped or a steal you gave up on is the difference between a character having 2000 HP and 2400 HP for a large portion of the game, right now I stole a really good weapon for Freya and she's doing 4000 damage a hit in the dungeon she's in, everyone else is doing 1000 or so and it would be really hard if she wasn't hitting for so much.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Also if you steal gear and items you can get away with fighting less battles because you spend less gil on equipment and consumables.

Of course, I'm the person who stole 99 Mythril Swords, multiple times, in FFV so I may not be sane.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Going through FFV's final dungeon now, trying to pick up some more mastered jobs along the way. Bartz, Lenna and Krile are Monks or Red Mages with APB Up equipped, which makes them a bit weak compared to what you could set up. I figured that would make things challengine but Faris is already finished, dual-wielding the Holy Lance and Masamune as a Freelancer and winning all fights on her own with Rapid Fire :stare:

The final battle may not give me as much trouble as it has in previous playthroughs.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Are you playing the US GBA version?

If so, follow these steps.

Step One: use the Quicksave feature.

Step Two: Load the Quicksave.

Step Three: Run fron the first encounter.

Step Four: Encounter Movers, use all the fire magic you can.

Step Five: Reap 199 AP and 200,000 gil, repeat until you feel like you've done enough.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Oh my, I didn't know about that. Maybe I'll tackle the Sealed Temple after all.

(but my Brave Blade :qq:)

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

You could just beat the first encounter.

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Bongo Bill posted:

Not 2, not 7, and 1 only if you're interested in a historical curiosity, so primitive as to be virtually unrelated to the series in its modern incarnation (which crystallized with 3). All of the others are excellent, and have very little to recommend them as preferable to any other as an entry point.

There's a thread for this, in which that question comes up often. You can get better opinions there.

I played Dragon Warrior 1 fairly recently, and while it's primitive, it's actually quite nice to play. You only have one party member and the world is quite small, but it means you can bash through it in about 5-6 hours

Sometimes all you want is a nice, short, no BS JRPG you can complete easily without having to commit a huge amount of time to.

Having said that: I still vastly prefer the more recent iterations in terms of content. I've played 4 and 9 on the DS and 8 on PS2 and they were all great.

4 especially has an interesting chapter based story where you play as different characters/parties for the majority of the game then all finally meet up in the final chapter to kick evil's arse.

9 Is a great game for customisation and giving you an open world almost from the word go, but it has this problem of petering out towards the end because of how the questing system works. Plus some of the quests have the Yakuza 3 problem of not really telling you how to complete them in any way, so that's a bit annoying.

8 was my first Dragon Quest game, and it's really good, great visuals, massive open world, good characters, great sense of humour. Never completed it, but I got a good 30-40 odd hours out of the first half alone, so it's good value for money.

EDIT: Forgot this was the FF thread AGAIN. I've been really into the FFXI soundtrack recently, and was thinking of getting it off of the PSN, does anyone know of any glitches or problems with the PSN version or is it just the PSone version in its entirity?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Polite Tim posted:

I played Dragon Warrior 1 fairly recently, and while it's primitive, it's actually quite nice to play. You only have one party member and the world is quite small, but it means you can bash through it in about 5-6 hours

Sometimes all you want is a nice, short, no BS JRPG you can complete easily without having to commit a huge amount of time to.

Having said that: I still vastly prefer the more recent iterations in terms of content. I've played 4 and 9 on the DS and 8 on PS2 and they were all great.

4 especially has an interesting chapter based story where you play as different characters/parties for the majority of the game then all finally meet up in the final chapter to kick evil's arse.

9 Is a great game for customisation and giving you an open world almost from the word go, but it has this problem of petering out towards the end because of how the questing system works. Plus some of the quests have the Yakuza 3 problem of not really telling you how to complete them in any way, so that's a bit annoying.

8 was my first Dragon Quest game, and it's really good, great visuals, massive open world, good characters, great sense of humour. Never completed it, but I got a good 30-40 odd hours out of the first half alone, so it's good value for money.

EDIT: Forgot this was the FF thread AGAIN. I've been really into the FFXI soundtrack recently, and was thinking of getting it off of the PSN, does anyone know of any glitches or problems with the PSN version or is it just the PSone version in its entirity?

You mean FF9 right? FFXI is FF11.

FF9 on the PSN is exactly the same as the PS1 version. You can actually take saves on GameFAQs that people uploaded in the 90s and use them on your PS3, they haven't changed anything.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

You mean FF9 right? FFXI is FF11.

FF9 on the PSN is exactly the same as the PS1 version. You can actually take saves on GameFAQs that people uploaded in the 90s and use them on your PS3, they haven't changed anything.

Not entirely accurate. The ones on gamefaqs from 2000 would be in the format of the Gameshark usb peripheral that would read your mem card. The saves that are compatible were copied off of other PS3s, but GameFAQs has those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

RagnarokAngel posted:

Not entirely accurate. The ones on gamefaqs from 2000 would be in the format of the Gameshark usb peripheral that would read your mem card. The saves that are compatible were copied off of other PS3s, but GameFAQs has those.

Ahh, I didn't know that. I've copied both PS1 and PS2 saves to my PS3 from GFaqs but didn't realize they had to all be from a PS3.