Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

You know what I liked? The rabbits. I was very worried bout them. I think it worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Gibbycrumbles
Aug 30, 2004

Do you think your paladin sword can defeat me?

En garde, I'll let you try my Wu-Tang style

Bombadilillo posted:

You know what I liked? The rabbits. I was very worried bout them. I think it worked.

I think I'm gonna love Radagast. Seeing him rezzing a hedgehog is awesome and all kinds of :3:

Edit:

Mr. Gibbycrumbles fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Sep 19, 2012

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Radagast is much different from what i always imagined him to look like, but i don't mind it as long as he also gets to show a serious side.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Jesus Christ guys you don't have to attack the guy because he didn't like some movie you did.

Manifest, have you seen Braindead? Its my favourite PJ film and in my opinion shows way more style then the LOTR ones.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

I think I'm gonna love Radagast. Seeing him rezzing a hedgehog is awesome and all kinds of :3:

Edit:

Yeah I don't really know what is going on here but I instantly knew I am going to love this scene.

MANIFEST DESTINY
Apr 24, 2009

Davincie posted:

Jesus Christ guys you don't have to attack the guy because he didn't like some movie you did.

Manifest, have you seen Braindead? Its my favourite PJ film and in my opinion shows way more style then the LOTR ones.

I should have been way clearer, I love all of Jackson's early stuff, have it all on DVD its great. At the outset I thought he was the perfect man for the job. The truth might be that there wasn't anyone who was, the project was just that huge and daunting.

First, shooting everything at once it had to be literally impossible to inject the kind of nuance into the performances and all the other elements under his control in the way he would a single shorter feature. There simply isn't enough time in the day to think outside of the box all the time when you're struggling to keep a many hundreds day shoot on schedule. Still, a few major characters almost completely lack nuance, and serve strict stock roles. That's a script level issue, that's something that should have been corrected before they were in the thick of it, if not in the script than in rehearsal. But by the time you get to rehearsal in a project like this, with a helmer on his first film of this scope, and some actors similarly a bit over their head, who dares speak up?

Second, the amount of money in play, the risk that they initially felt they were taking, undoubtedly forced him to take the safe route in a lot of places. I'm not a cannon purist, I understand why everything that was cut was cut, I understand some of the additions. Unlike with The Hobbit, I find nothing wrong with LotR's tone, everything is pretty spot on, its just a series of films that I never felt took any real chances, its up moments are great for what they depict, pretty much never for HOW they depict it. It doesn't miss any beats, but I found it frequently not very engaging outside of those scenes that were led by the film's best actors (McKellan, Lee, Hill...), not that they don't do a lot to redeem the film from a performance standpoint, they just can't carry scenes they aren't in.

Being the odd Tolkein fan who ranks stuff in the order of Farmer Gilles of Ham, Hobbit, Roverrandom, LotR etc, I was hoping we'd see the other, more subtle and playful side of Tolkein in a Hobbit film, but its been transformed into a LotR prequel in tone and genre. An adventure has become an epic. That's great news for big LotR fans so I understand why you guys would react incredulously when I protest.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

It doesn't resemble The Hobbit even remotely in tone, this is just more of the same Jackson-style LotR, a prequel to that, not 'The Hobbit'.

I'm definitely in agreement with this. The Hobbit, in stark contrast to LOTR, is a light-hearted adventure tale full of lucky coincidences and "little guy finds the courage to win the day"-ism and coming home at the end with a fat pile of treasure and a great story to tell. This trailer showed a fair bit of that, but also a fair bit of the "woe is us, Sauron will destroy us all, let's get superserious about things." I guess that's the innate problem in doing The Hobbit as a prequel tie-in to LOTR (even Tolkien himself had to go back and change The Hobbit after he wrote LOTR): it has to be much more serious in tone because we all know the stakes with the Ring that didn't exist when The Hobbit was originally written.

I'll see this, and almost certainly enjoy it. But it will be as a LOTR prequel and not as a The Hobbit film. Maybe when they're all out someone will edit out all of Jackson's additions and put out a "Just The Hobbit" version that I might prefer. All told, though, after seeing this trailer I think I'd have liked it if someone else entirely did The Hobbit movie(s) and it wasn't tied to Jackson's LOTR at all.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

So I take it that this movie will end with 'Out of the Frying Pan and Into the Fire', probably being rescued by the Eagles afterwards? There was so much going on in the trailer I couldn't really tell if they entered Mirkwood or not.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh God I have to wait over 2 months for this movie? How can I possibly make it?

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Octy posted:

So I take it that this movie will end with 'Out of the Frying Pan and Into the Fire', probably being rescued by the Eagles afterwards? There was so much going on in the trailer I couldn't really tell if they entered Mirkwood or not.

Yeah I couldn't see any Mirkwood-specific stuff either.

And drat, that was a pretty awesome trailer! It also answered my question from yesterday about that weird ice cave thing where Elrond is speaking to Thorin :v:

Was it just me, or was there a brief shot of Bilbo having a sword-fight with Gollum? Or was it just a generic goblin.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

webmeister posted:

Was it just me, or was there a brief shot of Bilbo having a sword-fight with Gollum? Or was it just a generic goblin.

Looked like a goblin to me, it was too big and fat to be Gollum.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

You would definitely know that was a goblin if you went through it frame-by-frame like some people.

(me)

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Thoughts after seeing the trailer five times;

- OHGODOHGODOHGOD this movie is gonna be awesome! :neckbeard:

- I'm liking the colours a lot. LOTR had great set designs and stuff but the colours didn't really pop all that much, made everything feel flat, but here you can tell they've put in a lot of effort to get the colours more vivid and brighter. I remember one of the production videos mentioned it's a side-effect of having to overcompensate for digital cameras being finicky about colours, but so far it looks like a positive side effect.

- The music isn't very memorable, typical trailer fluff. Bit disappointing after the teaser's song. Speaking of, I couldn't help but notice a fiddle next to that pile of clean dishes, and if that means what I think it means... :allears:

- I find it odd that, even today, film makers can't figure out how to make CGI creatures look natural in film. I mean, Gollum's model is fine, he looks fine, great even, but the lighting, the shine, the way Bilbo looks falter than he is despite them both being in the same space... it's tricky to get this stuff right, but they did it in Two Towers/Return of the King, so what's different now? Particularly since they're using all digital stuff, should make adjusting lighting and colour to make him look like he has a physical presence easier than before.

- I wish we'd get a "Meet the Dwarves" trailer or something. Even after reading up on the actors and seeing the costumes and watching the vlogs and everything I still can't tell who's who. The dwarves in the book were basically a hivemind with only Thorin (the leader) and Bombur (the fatty) managing to distinguish themselves with actual characterization, so giving them voices and personalities is arguably the biggest change to the source material and one of the main reasons I suspect we're getting three movies worth of movie. So it'd be nice to know if, you know, they actually worked well together? Will we care to watch these guys? Or is it gonna be Bilbo and 13 interchangeable dwarves? I doubt that's gonna happen, but I'd still like to get a little taste of what's probably gonna be the majority of the movie. (ie dwarves talking with Bilbo/each other)

- "Because I'm afraid... and he gives me courage." ... when does Gandalf say this in the book? When does Gandalf say this about anyone ever? Just... that line really bugs me because it's one of those dreaded "additions" that don't actually add anything and, in fact, run the risk of ruining Gandalf as a character. You mean to tell me a wizard older than anything born during the third age, a being of mysterious origins and purpose who's main defining characteristic is seemingly always knowing or at least guessing the right thing to do at any given time... gets his courage from a mild mannered hobbit who's charged with helping 13 dwarves get a poo poo ton of gold? It's poo poo like this that people complain about when they say "they added stuff that's not in the book that I didn't like". Makes me actually pretty worried about how they're going to handle the ring now... I swear if they make Gandalf suspicious of the ring the second he finds it I'm gonna be so mad I might actually throw some popcorn at the screen or something.

Overall, good trailer, looking forward to the movie, here's hoping they can successfully make a three part adventure series without it turning into a "save the world" epic, because we already have a LOTR and don't need it's prequel to repeat itself.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

kiimo posted:

You would definitely know that was a goblin if you went through it frame-by-frame like some people.

(me)

Bit difficult to do that at work unfortunately!

SatansBestBuddy posted:

- "Because I'm afraid... and he gives me courage." ... when does Gandalf say this in the book? When does Gandalf say this about anyone ever? Just... that line really bugs me because it's one of those dreaded "additions" that don't actually add anything and, in fact, run the risk of ruining Gandalf as a character.

I only watched the trailer twice before I left for work, but is it possible that phrase is from two separate lines cut together? It might make a lot more sense in context...

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I swear if they make Gandalf suspicious of the ring the second he finds it I'm gonna be so mad I might actually throw some popcorn at the screen or something.

As I recall, Gandalf doesn't even really find out that Bilbo HAS a ring until much later on, although he's suspicious of Bilbo's escape story from the get-go.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

webmeister posted:

Bit difficult to do that at work unfortunately!

I only watched the trailer twice before I left for work, but is it possible that phrase is from two separate lines cut together? It might make a lot more sense in context...

It's a necessary addition if they're going to expound upon Gandalf's Necromancer adventures, which they clearly are. Gandalf is facing the gathering forces of evil and he's understandably frightened. This is his whole mission on Middle Earth and Bilbo and the Hobbits give him hope that there's still some decency and goodness left in the world to bear the burden of defeating that evil.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

SatansBestBuddy posted:

- I wish we'd get a "Meet the Dwarves" trailer or something. Even after reading up on the actors and seeing the costumes and watching the vlogs and everything I still can't tell who's who. The dwarves in the book were basically a hivemind with only Thorin (the leader) and Bombur (the fatty) managing to distinguish themselves with actual characterization, so giving them voices and personalities is arguably the biggest change to the source material and one of the main reasons I suspect we're getting three movies worth of movie. So it'd be nice to know if, you know, they actually worked well together? Will we care to watch these guys? Or is it gonna be Bilbo and 13 interchangeable dwarves? I doubt that's gonna happen, but I'd still like to get a little taste of what's probably gonna be the majority of the movie. (ie dwarves talking with Bilbo/each other)

I don't know, I always remembered Balin as the old dwarf who seemed the fondest and most supportive of Bilbo. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but he at least stood out to me too.

I'm liking the look of the movie overall, although I definitely agree with what some other people have said about Gollum. His parts don't look nearly creepy enough, and when he talks about eating Bilbo it comes off more as "OH SILLY GOLLUM, you can't eat him whole!" than a creepy, dangerous thing.

I was really hoping they'd capture him more in the way they depicted him at the very beginning of the Fellowship of the Ring, when it shows him in his Misty Mountains lair while it's telling the story of the Ring.

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.

SatansBestBuddy posted:

- "Because I'm afraid... and he gives me courage." ... when does Gandalf say this in the book? When does Gandalf say this about anyone ever?

He says something along those lines in Unfinished Tales, I believe. He was known as Olorin in Valinor, and he was chosen to go to Middle Earth because he was the wisest of the Maiar. He's quite like Bilbo or Frodo in this effect, because when he was chosen he begged the Valar to reconsider because he feared Sauron's power, because he wasn't strong enough to directly face him, but they tell him thats the reason he has to be the one to go.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Viridiant posted:

I don't know, I always remembered Balin as the old dwarf who seemed the fondest and most supportive of Bilbo. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but he at least stood out to me too.

I was talking in more general terms. The book usually goes with "The dwarves gather in Bilbo's dining room" or "The dwarves and Bilbo go down into the mountain", always grouping them together. There are some scenes or lines that highlight that the dwarves are unique, I remember Fili had the best eyesight in Mirkwood and Balin was supportive of Bilbo, but the vast majority of the book refers to them as a unit, which is where the book and the movie will have the largest and most noticeable difference, since they'll need to characterize all of the dwarves in much more detail than the book ever delved into.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

SatansBestBuddy posted:

The hobbit iPhone app has a small description of each character with their photo... one is pessimistic, one is naive, one only speaks in grunts, one has a criminal past, one came because of the free beer!

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Wank posted:

The hobbit iPhone app has a small description of each character with their photo... one is pessimistic, one is naive, one only speaks in grunts, one has a criminal past, one came because of the free beer!

don't forget the one that's always tired, the one with allergies, or the one with a medical degree.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Viridiant posted:

I'm liking the look of the movie overall, although I definitely agree with what some other people have said about Gollum. His parts don't look nearly creepy enough, and when he talks about eating Bilbo it comes off more as "OH SILLY GOLLUM, you can't eat him whole!" than a creepy, dangerous thing.

I was really hoping they'd capture him more in the way they depicted him at the very beginning of the Fellowship of the Ring, when it shows him in his Misty Mountains lair while it's telling the story of the Ring.

Gollum was always less of a threat in the Hobbit than in LotR. I mean... he plays a riddle game with Bilbo. And the book itself being much more light than Lord of the Rings.

Plus, at this point ten years after The Two Towers, Gollum is a favorite character for some people or a joke for people who mostly only remember the parodies. It would be really hard to make him a very bad guy again.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Wank posted:

Is the app any good? I haven't gotten around to installing it yet, should I bother?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Zero One posted:

Gollum was always less of a threat in the Hobbit than in LotR. I mean... he plays a riddle game with Bilbo. And the book itself being much more light than Lord of the Rings.

Plus, at this point ten years after The Two Towers, Gollum is a favorite character for some people or a joke for people who mostly only remember the parodies. It would be really hard to make him a very bad guy again.

This just isnt the case. The book goes talks about how he hunts and kills goblins and eats them, which are bigger and stronger then Bilbo. He comes across in a boat and every time he makes a move closer to Bilbo it is a very threatening thing.

The trailer is WAY the other direction. Gollum says he's going to eat Bilbo in the same way I tell my 2 year old I going to "eat her belly" then zerbert her. Not only is it not threatening, its freaking cute.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008

webmeister posted:

Is the app any good? I haven't gotten around to installing it yet, should I bother?
Nah not really. Just the website in an app. Its ok if you want all the production videos in one place I suppose. The only thing extra I can see is the small character descriptions.

microwave casserole
Jul 5, 2005

my god, what are you doing
Maybe they're saving the scary Gollum stuff for when he realizes the ring is missing, after losing the riddle game.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

I positively lost my poo poo at "Home is now behind you, the world is ahead" because it tied so beautifully into this, which if I recall correctly is Pippin singing one of Bilbo's poems about the journey:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WskRAEggqkQ

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really loved the first few minutes, but everything that involved Gandalf sitting around and speaking about how VERY SERIOUS everything is just fell flat to me.

Koosifully Yours
Sep 20, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm looking forward to contradictions caused by shooting an earlier book after its sequels. Gandalf's actor being older when he's an ageless ysuuindmar and whatnot.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Koosifully Yours posted:

I'm looking forward to contradictions caused by shooting an earlier book after its sequels. Gandalf's actor being older when he's an ageless ysuuindmar and whatnot.

:wtc:

I don't think Ian Mackellan looks much different to his LOTR appearance, and neither does Elrond or Galadriel.

jazz babies
Mar 7, 2007

cool kids inc. posted:

I positively lost my poo poo at "Home is now behind you, the world is ahead" because it tied so beautifully into this, which if I recall correctly is Pippin singing one of Bilbo's poems about the journey:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WskRAEggqkQ

I forgot how chilling this was.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

webmeister posted:

:wtc:

I don't think Ian Mackellan looks much different to his LOTR appearance, and neither does Elrond or Galadriel.

Maybe I'm just nitpicky but his voice does sound different. A bit more raspy. Didn't detract from the trailer but it was noticeable.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

FrensaGeran posted:

Maybe I'm just nitpicky but his voice does sound different. A bit more raspy. Didn't detract from the trailer but it was noticeable.

Didn't they make him look older for Fellowship anyway so that he'd look rejuvenated as Gandalf the White?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

MANIFEST DESTINY posted:

I should have been way clearer, I love all of Jackson's early stuff, have it all on DVD its great. At the outset I thought he was the perfect man for the job. The truth might be that there wasn't anyone who was, the project was just that huge and daunting.

He made billions of dollars and won a dozen oscars out of what was widely regarded as a niche and unfilmable ip. :jerkbag:

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Lizard Combatant posted:

Didn't they make him look older for Fellowship anyway so that he'd look rejuvenated as Gandalf the White?

If you mean Two Towers then if they did intentionally make him look older then that doesn't really help account for him looking older in the Hobbit (again, it didn't bother me).

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

FrensaGeran posted:

If you mean Two Towers then if they did intentionally make him look older then that doesn't really help account for him looking older in the Hobbit (again, it didn't bother me).

No, I mean they aged Ian McKellen for Gandalf the Grey in Fellowship so that he'd look fresher as Gandalf the White in Two Towers. I imagine he'll look pretty much the same as he did in Fellowship in the Hobbit.

e: re-watching the trailer, Hugo Weaving actually looks younger. Looks like they were well aware of the potential problems.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Sep 20, 2012

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

FrensaGeran posted:

I noticed his voice sounded a little raspier, but I didn't mind. Gandalf at the time of the Hobbit is supposed to be considered a weirdo and an eccentric and a bit of a shabby wanderer (though Radagast will give him a run for his money). I think the only Wizard who is really held in high regard at that time is Saruman.

Skeletron
Nov 21, 2005

One day I found out that my urine was acting like a powerful foaming agent.
Well, that certainly looks like a movie from the director of The Lord of The Rings. Gratuitous wide shot sequences of our heroes running theme-park-ride style through conspicuously CGI environments. Campy, Jackson-esque humor with cheesy one-liners all over the place. I don't want to poop on anyone's parade, but it seems like a safe bet at this point that if you weren't a big fan of the LoTR films, these aren't going to turn you around on Jackson's directing.

Still, it looks like it'll be a really fun ride and I'll always appreciate seeing the Tolkien mythology retold and reinterpreted in any fashion. I would have preferred a new perspective for The Hobbit, but Tolkien's stories aren't going anywhere.

jazz babies
Mar 7, 2007

Maybe I'm nuts, but I just fail to see how anyone could watch his film and not be completely enveloped in the fantasy. Seeing the LOTR Trilogy in theatres was intense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nopants
May 29, 2004

Bombadilillo posted:

Its the creature design. Somebody will post the picture of concept art Smaug. Del Toro has a distinctive style. I cant explain when it is, but I know I can tell when its his work. I thought Pans Labyrinth was amazing. But its design would go against Tolkien. And I stick by that. I like his work a lot, very excited if he ever actually makes At the Mountains of Madness. He needs to be let all over the non euclidean nightmare mental landscapes of the Cthulu mythos. Not Tolkien.

Is he still making at the Mountains of Madness? I thought that died a long time ago.

• Locked thread