Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Aisar posted:

FFXI has way more in common with Everquest than with any other Asian MMO save FF14 perhaps. I guess that's pre-WoW, but it's certainly nothing like any other Asian MMO I've played.

The classic Asian MMO is basically just an even less fun version of EQ anyway so yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I'm sure that the like three people in North American who own a PSP but not a NDS or a smart phone or an iPad are pretty excited about this development.

Hit or miss Clitoris
Apr 19, 2003
I HAVE BEEN A VERY NAUGHTY BOY

Maybe I'll play III when it is released on a console again. I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up as WiiUWare or on the PS3 or something. I'm also holding out for FFIVCC on a console, so it isn't like I'm holding my breath or anything.

By the by, I'm just outside of Ipsen's Castle in IX, and I can't remember. Is the point of no return in this game right after the 4 mirrors quest? I'm thinking of trying to wipe out Ozma this time, and I don't remember if this game has a point like at the end of VIII where everything is blocked off in disc 4.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Sex_Ferguson posted:

It's FFIII, what do you expect? I mean, it's not as bad as 2 or 8

~Somebody's trollin'

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Hit or miss Clitoris posted:

Maybe I'll play III when it is released on a console again. I wouldn't be surprised if it ended up as WiiUWare or on the PS3 or something. I'm also holding out for FFIVCC on a console, so it isn't like I'm holding my breath or anything.

By the by, I'm just outside of Ipsen's Castle in IX, and I can't remember. Is the point of no return in this game right after the 4 mirrors quest? I'm thinking of trying to wipe out Ozma this time, and I don't remember if this game has a point like at the end of VIII where everything is blocked off in disc 4.

Much less is blocked off in IX than VIII in Disc 4.

FF3 is pretty bad, but yeah, I agree, II and VIII are worse.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

FF3 isn't a bad game. :mad:

It's actually rather well paced and only has a few minor clunky elements from being an NES RPG.

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

III DS on the other hand...

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Aisar posted:

AV is such a small part of FFXI that's been blown way, way out of proportion.
Very few people actively involved in endgame gave a poo poo because they had tons and tons of things to do besides dick around with an unbeatable boss.

Yeah. Every shell that did Jailer of Love either just fled when AV popped (wasn't 100% of the time) or tried the fight for shits and giggles. Some people couldn't stop posting about him on forums (especially after that video, what a waste of time) but as far as actual attempts, there were few. I did watch BG wipe to him though, that was entertaining.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Every TGS I just wait for a surprise Chrono 3 that never arrives. Back to listening to the theme for Gaia's Navel...

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Azure_Horizon posted:

Every TGS I just wait for a surprise Chrono 3 that never arrives. Back to listening to the theme for Gaia's Navel...

Why don't you just do a Crimson Echoes and make your own? Everyone else tried.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Mister Roboto posted:

Why don't you just do a Crimson Echoes and make your own? Everyone else tried.

Cease&Desist letters make that SO appealing.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Azure_Horizon posted:

Baten Kaitos is Chrono 3, insofar as by pedigree and design it is the closest descendant of Chrono Cross. This is probably not what you wanted.

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

Likewise if you're jonesing for that Chrono feel, there's Black Sigil.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Playing Black Sigil for any reason would be a bad decision, though. Radiant Historia, on the other hand, might scratch the itch despite it mostly doing its own thing.

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

I said Chrono feel, not Chrono quality.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Bongo Bill posted:

Baten Kaitos is Chrono 3, insofar as by pedigree and design it is the closest descendant of Chrono Cross. This is probably not what you wanted.

I hated Baten Kaitos, loved Origins, but they're pretty, pretty far from a Chrono title.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Azure_Horizon posted:

Cease&Desist letters make that SO appealing.

Oh, those CnDs go out to people whose egos are so fragile that they feel that every two weeks they need to announce the game's script is 5% done, the website is 100% done, and they need talented artists if anyone's interested. And the C-E guys fell apart due to internal nerd bickering anyways and the CnD has various people questioning if it was even real and not just made up as an excuse to get nerd revenge on each other. I used to mod the CC forums and the entire thing was really really suspect.

But, either way, if those groups just made one announcement anonymously and weren't motivated by 100 replies of "wow Cant wait til its done!" then they'd be able to work and finish it.

Other fangroups have successfully pulled off games. It's not as if Awful Fantasy 6 got Lowtax shut down, did it? And you can get the famous FFT hacks, the HD FF7 hacks, and download every single FF before 7 in less than two google searches.

Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOn6fnwPTcA These guys have been at it for years, and likely wouldn't stop even with a CnD as they'd just quietly change their handle.

Yeah, S-E isn't THAT careful. If they REALLY cared about losing revenue they'd be shooting those down fast. It's not as if the Chrono branding is more valuable than any of those. They just notice groups who REALLY want to be noticed.

Besides, there's a nameless group doing a Chrono on reddit anyways, making announcements anonymously so S-E won't shut them down. How do you shut down a site with no site?

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Sep 21, 2012

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Wasn't the actual story that they just had a nerd meltdown, dumped the project under the guise of a C&D, and used that to play up interest for their dead project that they never gave to anyone?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

The White Dragon posted:

Wasn't the actual story that they just had a nerd meltdown, dumped the project under the guise of a C&D, and used that to play up interest for their dead project that they never gave to anyone?

That was the rumor about Zeality, yeah. He was your typical popular nerd website administrator, mad with power and responded extremely angrily at any questioning or dissent. It's kind of amazing the project made it as far as it did.

And it's going to be released ANYWAYS by the Flames of Eternity guys who just used the same coding. Rumor has it that Mike is one of the FoE guys in any case, so he would've had everything.

Honestly, S-E isn't as triggerhappy as people think. There's easily 40-50 hacks for S-E games out there and they're literally a google search away.

The only ones that get noticed get noticed for a reason.

Mister Roboto fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Sep 21, 2012

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Dr Pepper posted:

FF3 isn't a bad game. :mad:

It's actually rather well paced and only has a few minor clunky elements from being an NES RPG.

This. FF3's pretty drat fun on its own and pretty much inspired the flow of every game since. Not to say it doesn't have its layers of bullshit, particularly many of its batshit insane dungeons, and quite a few jobs are literally useless, but it's definitely playable and has a good bit of challenge to it. It has great graphics for its time, the job system's pretty awesome and encourages you to keep going, there's a great sense of exploration as they gradually let you explore more and more of the world, and I still maintain the soundtrack's one of the best in the series.

FF3 is one of my favorite FF games, only below FF4 and FF5.

Bear Sleuth posted:

III DS on the other hand...

Also this. The original already had enough bullshit in it, and it's definitely not for the casual player, so instead of fixing those aspects to make the game easier to get into, they keep all the bullshit parts (mini dungeons, loving Cave of Darkness, no save points in the final dungeon) and instead make the game more difficult by having the enemies being much more tougher to make up for the reduced enemy limit. I'm also not a fan of how they rebalanced all the classes instead of keeping the steady progression and encouraging class upgrades, but then that's just my personal opinion (and I do actually like how they made Bard into one of the most useful classes in the game, even if it's tedious to constantly switch out harps).

They ended up not really fixing many of the problems that made the game so intimidating to get into for new players, and in fact just made it even more of a pain in the rear end. Also, it's so drat slow compared to the speed of battles in the original, where you'd just smash through battles with your dual-wielding badasses.

Mister Roboto posted:

That was the rumor about Zeality, yeah. He was your typical popular nerd website administrator, mad with power and responded extremely angrily at any questioning or dissent. It's kind of amazing the project made it as far as it did.

I remember Zeality. That guy had no sense of humor and took his Chrono obsession a bit too seriously (and this is from someone who just wrote a bunch of paragraphs on old Final Fantasy games).

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Zeality also apparently watched his referrers like a hawk because I once posted a link to some random blathering article on Chrono Compendium in my livejournal and he came and commented on it.

(I want to say this was in 2006)

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

The White Dragon posted:

Yeah, except for the fact Crimson Echoes exists, and I have played it. Maybe 5 hours in so far. It's very tough, but actually pretty good.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I found out that Tanaka, the guy responsible for the diasternightmare that was launch FFXIV, was in charge of IIIDS. That explains so goddamned much.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Dross posted:

Zeality also apparently watched his referrers like a hawk because I once posted a link to some random blathering article on Chrono Compendium in my livejournal and he came and commented on it.

(I want to say this was in 2006)

My favorite Zeality moment was when he flipped out on a game journalist because of an offhand remark he made on a podcast about Cross being a relative failure compared to Trigger.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Boten Anna posted:

I found out that Tanaka, the guy responsible for the diasternightmare that was launch FFXIV, was in charge of IIIDS. That explains so goddamned much.

Balance? Oh ho ho no, just make the monsters attack twice as often as they did in the original version. Thats fair.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Boten Anna posted:

Everything Tanaka touches turns to unfun bullshit.

I wonder why he thinks like this? I already know from years of playing pre-Abyssea XI that he doesn't listen to critisism, but eventually he had to have taken a step back and thought "I really don't know what I'm doing, do I?"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Moldy Taxes posted:

I wonder why he thinks like this? I already know from years of playing pre-Abyssea XI that he doesn't listen to critisism, but eventually he had to have taken a step back and thought "I really don't know what I'm doing, do I?"

As long as you remain employed at your same level working on new projects of importance its hard to think you're doing anything wrong.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Moldy Taxes posted:

I love love love 3 for the NES, like it's a super fun game and really hard to turn into unfun bullshit. Yet Tanaka somehow managed it.

"Kids these days love 20 minute long loading into every battle in a game where you want to grind up a bunch of different jobs, don't they?"

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Moldy Taxes posted:

Both Tanaka and Akitoshi Kawazu should never helm a game again. Asspull difficulty, or obscure bullshit? Pick your poison.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Azure_Horizon posted:

Both Tanaka and Akitoshi Kawazu should never helm a game again. Asspull difficulty, or obscure bullshit? Pick your poison.

I looked him up and realized he lead The Last Remnant. Playing through that right now, but how do they expect you to learn half of the bullshit in this game without a guide?

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Moldy Taxes posted:

I looked him up and realized he lead The Last Remnant. Playing through that right now, but how do they expect you to learn half of the bullshit in this game without a guide?

Welcome to the designer who created the SaGa series, known for stuff his games will never teach you about.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Azure_Horizon posted:

Welcome to the designer who created the SaGa series, known for stuff the game will never teach you about.

Hi, I'm Unlimited Saga. Are you ready to peruse a 200 page technical manual that makes successfully starting and operating a combat aircraft look like instructions on the back of a microwaveable dinner? Good, lets get started!

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Barudak posted:

Hi, I'm Unlimited Saga. Are you ready to peruse a 200 page technical manual that makes successfully starting and operating a combat aircraft look like instructions on the back of a microwaveable dinner? Good, lets get started!

After watching the tutorial videos on Youtube, I have to admit the game makes a LOT more sense. That still doesn't mean it will when one actually plays it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Azure_Horizon posted:

After watching the tutorial videos on Youtube, I have to admit the game makes a LOT more sense. That still doesn't mean it will when one actually plays it.

Oh yeah, after about 20 or so minutes of tutorials the game begins to make some basic semblance of logic. The problem is on top of the already obfuscated core mechanics (dungeons are like a map, you have two types of health, roulette determine if you get to do anything ever) you have a veritable fortress of bullshit in obscure quest chains, hidden areas, weapon combos, skill learning, item creation etc. Its a game where you need foreknowledge to even understand what you'll need foreknowledge of.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Moldy Taxes posted:

I think the idea is that you don't learn it.

Basically you do what you want and deal with what the game gives you.

Then again I love the SaGa series because it's hilariously obscure and I don't think anybody knows how anything works.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
I think I'm the only person who really liked IIIDS and really hated IVDS.

IIIDS felt very polished to me and I didn't run into any of the difficulty problems that everyone else is talking about. I did grind a lot but that was more because I would turn on my DS and grind out a few battles between college classes.

IVDS on the other hand seemed like it tried its hardest to remove all the charm and character that I liked about the game while introducing obscure systems that just made the game a huge pain. That and I will never accept Sesil as the name of the character.

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

And here I thought we as a people had moved past base Kawazu hate.
:sigh: Just because he's crazy and particular doesn't make his games bad, just crazy and particular. They might require more work and understanding than other RPGs, but when they start to click they can be a lot of fun. Yes, Last Reminant and Unlimited Saga and Final Fantasy II included.

Grope-A-Matic
Nov 16, 2008

sigh... you really suck at hand
to hand combat i wont lie and
this is way more challenging
then i thought it would be. to
teach you hand to hand combat,
alright i will try to teach you
some more hand to hand combat
I can never truly hate the man who gave the world Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles. That was one of my favorite games for the Gamecube, and I still play it with my buddy every now and again.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Bear Sleuth posted:

And here I thought we as a people had moved past base Kawazu hate.
:sigh: Just because he's crazy and particular doesn't make his games bad, just crazy and particular. They might require more work and understanding than other RPGs, but when they start to click they can be a lot of fun. Yes, Last Reminant and Unlimited Saga and Final Fantasy II included.
I kind of feel this way. I don't like all of his games, but I respect the guy's spirit of experimentation. I always kind of enjoyed Unlimited Saga. I don't think it's a great game by any means, but once I established a decent comfort level with the mechanics I found it novel. I still can't beat the loving thing, though, because he designed that game to be hard as balls even if you do everything completely right with a guide on top.

I felt the same way about The Last Remnant, Final Fantasy II and Romancing SaGa. Not terrific games, but I'm glad I played them and got a look at them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

So in my IZJS playthrough getting the Indigo Pendant has made Vaan into Death: Destroyer of Random Enemies.

When Death has an effective 100% hit rate on anything not immune it tends to make fights short.