Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Oh hey I actually have a set of those pickup covers. Outside pole-to-pole hole spacing is aboooout 2.04"-ish.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oredun
Apr 12, 2007

forever whatever posted:

You should post how this works out vs. the Akai. I assume you mean the Head Rush - I use it on my bass vi in the band i play in sometimes and the lead guitarist has one as well - aside from the fact that you can accidentally erase what you are doing very easily and that you can't save loops, I really like it for on-the-fly live looping...Akai as a company is wicked sketchy though; I tried to register the looper when I bought it with the card attached to the manual and it came back return to sender: wrong address. I emailed their support twice and never got a response. Oh well, aside from the aforementioned issues (and for taking a ridiculous amount of space up on a pedal board) I actually get quite a bit of decent use out of the thing.

But anyways, that Vox looks cool and I had never heard of it before. I'm sure it will be fun.

Headrush Akai is out of business. There is a company now called Akai Pro that is owned by numark or whatever.

But the akai that made your headrush is gone and now its only midi controller akai pro.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Does that mean my (original) Head Rush is worth a kabillion dollars now? Hot dog!

(nope)

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Here's where it is today.

I am loving the DiMarzio EJ Customs. Except, I think, my bridge pickup is microphonic. :stonk: I may have to send it back.

I haven't ordered the True Velvet for the middle yet (too broke) but I am debating pickup colors:
Chrome? Maybe too gaudy?
Black or White? Safe.
Tan/Cream? Kinda de-emphasize the middle pickup since it will blend with the ash.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 21, 2012

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Do what I do and rip it out and keep everything on the 5 way. :getin:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

muike posted:

Do what I do and rip it out and keep everything on the 5 way. :getin:
No way, bro. I've been in love with the 2 and 4 positions on electric guitars since my first one, an lovely Kramer Striker 300ST (which was and still is a terrible terrible guitar, but good for paying your dues learning on.)
All of my guitars are wired with five-ways and have three pickups (2 H/S/S and 4 H/S/H) and I use those middle sounds all the time. I love those tones. I've never owned a two pickup guitar.

I do have one single pickup guitar that my Dad gave me, but I never touch it because I have no idea how to play jazz chord/melody style, plus I'm afraid to scratch it:

Fender D'Aquisto Elite (He bought the Ultra model so he didn't want the Elite anymore). I would just sell it but my parents would murder me. Even though it sits in the closet and I'm afraid to touch it.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Dr. Faustus posted:

Here's where it is today.

I am loving the DiMarzio EJ Customs. Except, I think, my bridge pickup is microphonic. :stonk: I may have to send it back.

I haven't ordered the True Velvet for the middle yet (too broke) but I am debating pickup colors:
Chrome? Maybe too gaudy?
Black or White? Safe.
Tan/Cream? Kinda de-emphasize the middle pickup since it will blend with the ash.

Normally, I hate natural finishes but I like this one a lot for some reason.

Taking off the cover, of course, will eliminate microphonics. Jimmy Page took the bridge cover off and kept the neck cover on to accentuate the differences in tonalities.

A helpful trick with microphonics is taking the cover off and putting silicone on the surface of the pickup and squeezing down hard with the cover to eliminate any open spaces and air pockets (hence the microphonics). WCR pickups do this

I've also heard putting some foam fabric (like that used in packing) at the bottom of the pickup cavity helps eliminate empty spaces, and hence, microphonics.

YMMV

e: Go with the chrome or white. Or if you're adventurous, transparent.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Sep 22, 2012

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I'm in a strange situation where my uncle who is kind of dying right now said that if he kicks it, I get his squier bass with p-j pickups, and his roland space echo.

I didn't know what a space echo was before today. Dammit, uncle. Why do you want me to want you to die?

E: vvvv I'm not actually hoping my uncle dies. But thanks for the recommendation.

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Sep 23, 2012

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Rotten Cookies posted:

I'm in a strange situation where my uncle who is kind of dying right now said that if he kicks it, I get his squier bass with p-j pickups, and his roland space echo.

I didn't know what a space echo was before today. Dammit, uncle. Why do you want me to want you to die?

You could jut get the Sound Toys Echo Boy plugin and not wish death upon a family member.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret

Well, the strings are at least four years old, so high E snapped promptly on tuning.
Plastic was still on everything.

Remaining strings feel fragile as hell. Buzzes slightly on the low E, undoubtedly needs a truss adjustment. Not thrilled with the tuners.

But it's really comfortable. Neck feels good. Smooth. Fast. My plan remains intact.

This is going in the neck and mid.
http://store.guitarfetish.com/Brighton-Rock-Vintage-Spec-Alnico-Pickups-Classic-Queen-sound_p_1514.html

This is going in the bridge.
http://store.guitarfetish.com/Bigmouth-Bridge-Pickup-POWER-with-vintage-Tone-Bridge-Position_p_102.html

Opinions welcome, here.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Automatic Slim posted:

Normally, I hate natural finishes but I like this one a lot for some reason.
Very cool.

quote:

Taking off the cover, of course, will eliminate microphonics.
I put the cover on because that's the look I wanted. I mean, I think it looks fantastic.

quote:

A helpful trick with microphonics is taking the cover off and putting silicone on the surface of the pickup and squeezing down hard with the cover to eliminate any open spaces and air pockets (hence the microphonics). WCR pickups do this

I've also heard putting some foam fabric (like that used in packing) at the bottom of the pickup cavity helps eliminate empty spaces, and hence, microphonics.

YMMV

Actually, I bought a pound of paraffin and potted it in a double-boiler setup on my range, using a digital food thermometer and following the instructions I found here at Stew-mac (Lindy Fralin!)

I'll let ya know if it worked after I reinstall it.

quote:

e: Go with the chrome or white. Or if you're adventurous, transparent.

I ordered Creme, but I will also order chrome and I have black. I'll try each one and choose the one I like most, or change them out every time I change strings for the hell of it!
Transparent sounds awesome, though. I'll have to look for those.

P.S. - For the curious, I just bought canning paraffin at the grocery store:

and monitored the potting process thus:

Ta-Da:

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Sep 24, 2012

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Wax potting your own pickups is a pro tac.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

I potted the pickups on an Epi LP I used to own. It really is easy if you're not afraid of guitar guts and/or boiling hot wax. The hardest part was getting the wax off the outside while it was still a bit soft, which meant handling a still-heat-soaked pup. Toasty!

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon
"On Vehicle for Delivery Today"

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Shovelbearer posted:

"On Vehicle for Delivery Today"

Oh hello, beautiful.

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
What's that good for?

Shovelbearer
Oct 11, 2003
Paragon of Lexicon

Warcabbit posted:

What's that good for?

It's kind of like an MPD with touch strips and where each drum pad is kind of like a tiny velocity-sensitive kaoss pad with multitouch, divided into quadrants so they're really like 64 pads. And different modes that let it switch from being a drum pad to a sequencer, etc. And LED feedback. So, in other words, really expressive usb midi controllerism, in a light package the size of an iPad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFaBaJIXFFI Pretty good little demo. I feel pretty good about this purchase for $174 ($199 minus Musician's Friend $25 off code from this past week)

Shovelbearer fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 25, 2012

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
Okay, I guess this is the best place to post this. I found a guy on ebay who's closing out a music store. He doesn't know the value of stuff, so he tends to price Squiers like Fenders and Epis like Gibsons, but he corrects it when you point it out politely.

I'm not sure what store he's closing out, but it seems to be full of factory refurbs and b-stock. And he's basically selling them for half what anyone else is.

The point is, there's a Wiltshire there for $165, Yamahas, Epis, Ibanez... even a Fender Banjo if someone wants it. Everything appears to be at least three years old, up to five or so.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/jjjeweler/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

I suggest firmly that if you see something you want you post dibs to avoid a bidding war, but that's just me.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
One of my dad's old friends is having some money issues, so he was selling off a bunch of guitars. My dad, being the generous guy he is, bought all of them (five), and they showed up today. He had me go through them and see if there was anything I wanted. There were a couple of beat up basses, an Epiphone Les Paul Standard that is also pretty beat up, an Ovation iDea acoustic which I thought was really loving weird because it's made entirely of plastic and has a USB port... But there was also this sexy PRS SE Singlecut, which I called dibs on.

I have something of a PRS fetish, so this was a good get for me. It's in really good condition, except for a tiny crack in the lacquer on the back, and some dust. Aww yep.

Constipated
Nov 25, 2009

Gotta make that money man its still the same now

Warcabbit posted:

Okay, I guess this is the best place to post this. I found a guy on ebay who's closing out a music store. He doesn't know the value of stuff, so he tends to price Squiers like Fenders and Epis like Gibsons, but he corrects it when you point it out politely.

I'm not sure what store he's closing out, but it seems to be full of factory refurbs and b-stock. And he's basically selling them for half what anyone else is.

The point is, there's a Wiltshire there for $165, Yamahas, Epis, Ibanez... even a Fender Banjo if someone wants it. Everything appears to be at least three years old, up to five or so.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/jjjeweler/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p3686

I suggest firmly that if you see something you want you post dibs to avoid a bidding war, but that's just me.

Calling dibs on the black semi hollow Yamaha.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

I just splashed out £200 for the cello spike for my Eigenharp Tau. It's pretty much an essential piece of kit if you want full control of the sensitivity of the instrument. It's just a shame it turned out to be so pricey.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

I have too many fuzz pedals

niff
Jul 4, 2010
guitar or bass, man above me with the eau claire?

terrible photo of rig. nothing bar pedals and cables made after 1977 - rate how awesome i am, please.

pedals are: TU-2, VFE Mini Mu (really good Mutron III clone prototype) and Heavy Electronics El Oso. coming soon: Bluebeard and Fdeck HPF-pre.

edit: also coming soon, more than 100 'tube watts'.

niff fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Sep 29, 2012

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

niff posted:

terrible photo of rig. nothing bar pedals and cables made after 1977 - rate how awesome i am, please.

pedals are: TU-2, VFE Mini Mu (really good Mutron III clone prototype) and Heavy Electronics El Oso. coming soon: Bluebeard and Fdeck HPF-pre.

Details about head/cab plz :hist101:

amishbuttermaster
Apr 28, 2009
I had to sell my Fender Jazz bass a couple of months ago and I can't stand to not have a bass so today I hit the pawnshops and found these two. The one on the left has no indication of who the manufacturer might be, the one on the right is a beat to hell Squire Jazz. But, for $65 and $125 respectively I can't exactly complain. Another perk is that they both had the type of strings I like to use already installed.

niff
Jul 4, 2010

Handen posted:

Details about head/cab plz :hist101:

the head is a 100 watt (2x KT88, 4x ECC84) Holden 'bass amp' made in New Zealand in the early 70s - we weren't allowed to import any music related gear due to import restrictions back when tube heads were all the rage in the late 60s-early 70s, so there's hundreds of these marshall/sunn clone all-tube heads floating around the country for mega cheap. I am about to get that one hot rodded to output closer to 150-160 watts or possibly convert to 200 watts, or try and get my hands on a 200w model which is significantly rarer - I play very bass heavy stoner/doom and need a lot of power.

The cabinet is a 1968 Sunn 200s 2x15, refurbed, front ported with two JBL K140s and sounds like doom in a box. Funnily enough, this specific cabinet belonged to the Beach Boys - I am sure they did not appreciate the testicle massaging fuzz box of doom it could become 44 years later.

niff fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 29, 2012

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I have a new toy! No cameras in the house though so you get a lovely cellphone picture. Yay!

It's one of these bad boys. Beginner guitar yeah, but at AU$250 (Allan's Billy Hyde is closing, boo) it seemed just right. I wanted a humbucker equipped guitar and this had no tremelo so bonus. Now I just need an amp, which will probably happen next fortnight.

They had the C-1 there too but the build quality seemed about the same, and the hardware was the same so the only difference seemed to be the shape and the frets (22 for the 006, versus 24). And hell, why not pick the cooler looking one? It's very Rickenbacker 4001, and I think that's the prettiest bass.

Zoom Shroom
Nov 19, 2007

by Lowtax
The DX7 I got earlier this year, the D50 I scored this week.

(crossposted to Synth thread)

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

niff posted:

Bass and baritone. Was having a rough time with my TAFM the other day and had some amazon gift cards I didn't know how to use, so now I've got an ect. It's a little weird buying a second muff type fuzz, but my T-40 unfortunately doesn't get along well with my russian muff so I don't feel too bad about it.

Nice 4001 and 2x15. I got a Sunn 215B just a few weeks ago and it is great. Running a Twin Reverb into it now, or a 50W Thunderbass for quieter stuff. Also looking to step up to 200 'tube watts', but a good affordable 200w head is hard to find. Might end up rewiring the cab, picking up a second 100w head and just bi-amp when I want to be stupidly loud. Or if I could just find a Coliseum Bass for a reasonable price that would work too.

niff
Jul 4, 2010

FancyMike posted:

Bass and baritone. Was having a rough time with my TAFM the other day and had some amazon gift cards I didn't know how to use, so now I've got an ect. It's a little weird buying a second muff type fuzz, but my T-40 unfortunately doesn't get along well with my russian muff so I don't feel too bad about it.

Nice 4001 and 2x15. I got a Sunn 215B just a few weeks ago and it is great. Running a Twin Reverb into it now, or a 50W Thunderbass for quieter stuff. Also looking to step up to 200 'tube watts', but a good affordable 200w head is hard to find. Might end up rewiring the cab, picking up a second 100w head and just bi-amp when I want to be stupidly loud. Or if I could just find a Coliseum Bass for a reasonable price that would work too.

yeah - I live in NZ, the land of cheap clone tube heads, and even then the 200 watters are few and far between - and I am not about to blow a few grand on a matamp/orange/green/electric!

I plan on using a bunch of ten inch speakers attached to that 100 watt in the picture, then a 200w as my main tone through the 215 - kind of an Entwhistle setup with the bass/treble amps. Need another cab, though, and a cabinet that has near-volume unity with the 215 - meaning probably a 610. I need a van for my gear alone, it seems.

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

niff posted:

yeah - I live in NZ, the land of cheap clone tube heads, and even then the 200 watters are few and far between - and I am not about to blow a few grand on a matamp/orange/green/electric!

I plan on using a bunch of ten inch speakers attached to that 100 watt in the picture, then a 200w as my main tone through the 215 - kind of an Entwhistle setup with the bass/treble amps. Need another cab, though, and a cabinet that has near-volume unity with the 215 - meaning probably a 610. I need a van for my gear alone, it seems.

I see a lot of 610s and 810s next to 215s. I kind of wish I had the sort of band to justify playing that loud, but then again it's nice only bringing one cab.

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

FancyMike posted:

I have too many fuzz pedals

No you don't, it is impossible to have too many fuzz pedals.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Babby's first monitors. M-Audio StudioPro 3. $60 on MF's deal of the day... hard to pass up.

honky dong
Sep 2, 2011

New Gretsch Resonator. A little B-day gift to myself. I'm really surprised by how good this sounds, especially for the price:

EDIT: Forgot I picked up this toy a few weeks ago, too. I'm really into country-ish music (Whiskeytown style. . . not the pop kind of stuff) and figured this would be a good addition. I'm pretty good at guitar, but am just starting to learn my way around a lap steel. It's quite a bit different. This sounds real good, though, through my Fender Hotrod Deluxe.

honky dong fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Oct 1, 2012

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

syntaxfunction posted:

I have a new toy! No cameras in the house though so you get a lovely cellphone picture. Yay!

It's one of these bad boys. Beginner guitar yeah, but at AU$250 (Allan's Billy Hyde is closing, boo)

The North Perth store? Did you take a harpoon and a net? I never actually figured out how to get anyone to serve me there, so I never bought anything from them. Couple that with some seriously shady business practices (trying to strong-arm small independent music stores into selling up so they could shut them down and take their market share), I'm kinda glad they're gone.

Great score for $250 though, they're not bad guitars :) I'd see about getting someone to give it a look over though - I've seen some bad factory setups on Schecters before.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Ackbarf posted:

The North Perth store? Did you take a harpoon and a net? I never actually figured out how to get anyone to serve me there, so I never bought anything from them. Couple that with some seriously shady business practices (trying to strong-arm small independent music stores into selling up so they could shut them down and take their market share), I'm kinda glad they're gone.

Great score for $250 though, they're not bad guitars :) I'd see about getting someone to give it a look over though - I've seen some bad factory setups on Schecters before.

Nah the Fortitude Valley (Brisbane) store. I've never had problems there or at the Queen St store, always helpful and friendly. But yeah, they've had some shady dealings but there's like five music stores that I know of in Brisbane, two of which are Allans. And the others have dick for stock. Sure, they'll all order stuff in but I'd rather have the chance to play it first. Otherwise I might as well try ordering from the US and save a couple bucks.

So if anyone knows decent places in Brisbane to get equipment from do let me know! I plan to get a setup done but I've no idea where to go to do that.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Ric bass, sexiest bass.

I got an old thing

help they're multiplying

niff
Jul 4, 2010
i love old stuff. my ric is a '77 4001, cabinet is a '68, head is sometime in the early 70s.

edit: i did not realise how thin those models were!

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

syntaxfunction posted:

Nah the Fortitude Valley (Brisbane) store. I've never had problems there or at the Queen St store, always helpful and friendly. But yeah, they've had some shady dealings but there's like five music stores that I know of in Brisbane, two of which are Allans. And the others have dick for stock. Sure, they'll all order stuff in but I'd rather have the chance to play it first. Otherwise I might as well try ordering from the US and save a couple bucks.

So if anyone knows decent places in Brisbane to get equipment from do let me know! I plan to get a setup done but I've no idea where to go to do that.

Do you or Ackbarf (or any other Ausgoons) know if Billy Hyde's has started their inevitable closing down firesale? I'm keen to nab some stuff on the cheap but they seem to still be selling everything for the usual comedy Australian prices on the website and haven't made any announcement about shutting down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qball
Aug 1, 2002

You could go and have a bite, and you'd still be hearin' that one.

Concatenation posted:

Do you or Ackbarf (or any other Ausgoons) know if Billy Hyde's has started their inevitable closing down firesale? I'm keen to nab some stuff on the cheap but they seem to still be selling everything for the usual comedy Australian prices on the website and haven't made any announcement about shutting down.

The 25 - 50% off closing down sale is on at the moment (which means 50% of sheet music and 25% off everything else). 25% off is nice but it's not the liquidation everyone is hoping for, hell, 25% off their prices is basically street price everywhere else.