Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wa11y
Jul 23, 2002

Did I say "cookies?" I meant, "Fire in your face!"

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I think you're remembering the line "It grew from the stone Bismuth."

Often times, the pit at the center of a fruit is referred to as a stone.

So, who knows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

"The Stone" eh?

Is that referring to Jones, since this is probably a Jones chapter? She's not a robot! She's actually been a rock the whole time!
I'm reminded of "The Wretched Stone" by Chris Van Allsburg, about a ship's crew who discover a magic stone that's an allegory for television.

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Wa11y posted:

Often times, the pit at the center of a fruit is referred to as a stone.

So, who knows?

It grew from the Fruit Bismuth.

...Or, perhaps, a Fruit Bismuth is the end result of the Court's growth? :tinfoil:

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
Thank you, avatar fairy, for giving me the best Mort-atar. :allears:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

OriginalPseudonym posted:

Edit: Found it. And it is the seed Bismuth.

Ugh, that one always pisses me off. Couldn'ta stuck around for ten more minutes explaining a few things, old guy?

It felt like the most artificial information denial in this comic by far.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Waffnuffly posted:

It grew from the Fruit Bismuth.

...Or, perhaps, a Fruit Bismuth is the end result of the Court's growth? :tinfoil:

But... what is the Court?
The Court is a Fruit Bismuth. :geno:

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

MikeJF posted:

Ugh, that one always pisses me off. Couldn'ta stuck around for ten more minutes explaining a few things, old guy?

It never felt all that artificial per se, at least to me. I just kind of felt like it was part of the same shtick as "She died and we did nothing." If anything I almost wonder why I would've expected any other type of answer from the golems, regardless of how old they were.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

MikeJF posted:

I doubt the robot has anything more to explain. The Court is a lot older than that robot, so it probably doesn't have a better answer.

Zenzirouj
Jun 10, 2004

What about you, thread?
You got any tricks?

MikeJF posted:

The guy had a lot of being dead to get back to, sheesh.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I finally noticed the Avatar Fairy has forcibly drafted me into the Gunnerkrigg Legions. I can deal Mort with this.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Knowing this thread it has probably been noticed or debunked before, but I always thought that given that we've seen so many mythical gods, creatures, and other being Jones is the Eye of Ra. Badass enough to challenge Coyote and Ysengrin at the same time, female, not a friend to chaos...

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I hope Raven shows up at some point, and we get two trickster gods going head to head over whatever. A more serious Raven against Coyote's carefree attitude could be fun to see.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Battle Pigeon posted:

I hope Raven shows up at some point, and we get two trickster gods going head to head over whatever. A more serious Raven against Coyote's carefree attitude could be fun to see.

Siddel could rewrite the comic so that it was just Coyote, Raven, Loki and Anansi all dicking each other over and I'd gobble it up.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Phy posted:

But... what is the Court?
The Court is a Fruit Bismuth. :geno:

You're a fruit bismuth.

Tardigrade
Jul 13, 2012

Half arthropod, half marshmallow, all cute.

Battle Pigeon posted:

Raven is awesome, but he'd be just as mischievous as Coyote. I'd love to see him in there as well.

What's the status of deities (the ones we haven't seen yet)? Do they all exist in the GC world if someone believes in them?

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Battle Pigeon posted:

Do raven and coyote ever exist simultaneously as tricksters in the same traditions? I had thought they were basically the same archetype but typified in different animals by different tribes/nations. I mean, I guess that doesn't stop them existing together, any trickster god is really a reflection of the same aspects of human experience, but it would seem odd to use two native North American animal tricksters as adverseries when there's a whole world of mythology to explore.

By the way, anyone keen on comics with trickster gods, there's some great dialogue in volume 9 of Neil Gaimans Sandman between Loki and the Puck (ala midsummer nights dream). Interestingly, Loki, a god, does not come off as being as powerful and clever as puck. Loki is malicious and makes long plans which always go awry at some point and come back to bite him in the arse, puck is more chaotic, prone to acting on whims and slippery as a fish, and always gets away scot free. I'm wondering if this duality between the two modes of the trickster will come up in Gunnerkrigg

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Fatkraken posted:

Do raven and coyote ever exist simultaneously as tricksters in the same traditions? I had thought they were basically the same archetype but typified in different animals by different tribes/nations. I mean, I guess that doesn't stop them existing together, any trickster god is really a reflection of the same aspects of human experience, but it would seem odd to use two native North American animal tricksters as adverseries when there's a whole world of mythology to explore.

I have no idea, but there's a page somewhere that I can't find at the moment that has a montage of a bunch of different characters, with the back of a raven head in the middle. That, and things like this: http://askgunnerkrigg.tumblr.com/post/29119914852/i-have-indeed-visited-with-them-and-they-have maybe hints Raven will show up at one point, and the comment about not getting along makes it seem like they'll be rivals at least.

E: Thank you, mystery avatar gifter! :3:

E2: Found it, it was this page. http://www.gunnerkrigg.com/archive_page.php?comicID=774 Looking at it again, it's a little different from what I remembered, and might just be random symbolism. I didn't realise the tumblr was fan run, my bad!

Battle Pigeon fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Sep 22, 2012

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT
That is a fan-run Tumblr, and also I am sad that you were not given an avatar of City Face with rifle turrets and laser scopes attached to his body

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

DarkCrawler posted:

Knowing this thread it has probably been noticed or debunked before, but I always thought that given that we've seen so many mythical gods, creatures, and other being Jones is the Eye of Ra. Badass enough to challenge Coyote and Ysengrin at the same time, female, not a friend to chaos...

I think that theory has been brought up before. I hope the readers get some insight on what Jones is soon!

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Didn't he explicitly say that Jones is not any existing mythology?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Well yeah, but I'm sure he was inspired by something for Jones

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Does the Terminator count as an existing mythology?

e: I like my Tenma avatar, please don't change it.

Level Slide fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 22, 2012

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Thanks avatar fairy!

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Level Slide posted:

Does the Terminator count as an existing mythology?

Jones is not a robot.

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."

Tardigrade posted:

What's the status of deities (the ones we haven't seen yet)? Do they all exist in the GC world if someone believes in them?

The psychopomp spirit guides aren't explicitly deities, but seem to correspond to various belief systems.

e: As Kat becomes more and more of a robot goddess, I wonder what effect their beliefes will have on her.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

What happened here? :stare:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

e: As Kat becomes more and more of a robot goddess, I wonder what effect their beliefes will have on her.

You just made me realise, if Coyote was the normal coyote living in the desert that became a god as man projected his ideas on him, maybe the same is happening with Kat and the robots who view her as a robot angel? :stare:

Though I guess that might have been sort of your point in the first place. Don't change my Dave please, avatar fairy.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Thanks Avatar Fairy!

YF-23 posted:

You just made me realise, if Coyote was the normal coyote living in the desert that became a god as man projected his ideas on him, maybe the same is happening with Kat and the robots who view her as a robot angel? :stare

Ether powers magic and comes from the souls of the dead right? That could mean coyote only got his powers once the man died and his soul dissipated.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Julio Cesar Fatass posted:

Clearly she should start spreading awesome rumors about herself.

"Did you know that the Angel Kat, She Who Walks Between Digital and Analog, Arbiter of Life and Death, is able to produce freshly baked cookies at will?"

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

A student posted:

Thanks Avatar Fairy!

Ether powers magic and comes from the souls of the dead right? That could mean coyote only got his powers once the man died and his soul dissipated.

Plus, it seems that Robots perhaps don't have an etherical presence.

Which is interesting. Normally in a fictional world where things like The Ether exist, it's necessary for - even the origin of - consciousness. Not here, unless there's going to be a sad twist where it turns out that Robot isn't a real consciousness after all.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Plus, it seems that Robots perhaps don't have an etherical presence.

Which is interesting. Normally in a fictional world where things like The Ether exist, it's necessary for - even the origin of - consciousness. Not here, unless there's going to be a sad twist where it turns out that Robot isn't a real consciousness after all.

Perhaps the part on Robot's CPU that Kat didn't know what it was contained an etheric consciousness.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Tardigrade posted:

Raven is awesome, but he'd be just as mischievous as Coyote. I'd love to see him in there as well.

Other deities do seem to exist in some fashion, Brinnie is apparently Byrnhilda and was sent to earth by Odin. I doubt we'll see them though, I imagine most gods just hang around at home or their local Gillie Wood equivalent. Coyote's probably a bit of an anomaly.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Prison Warden posted:

Other deities do seem to exist in some fashion, Brinnie is apparently Byrnhilda and was sent to earth by Odin. I doubt we'll see them though, I imagine most gods just hang around at home or their local Gillie Wood equivalent. Coyote's probably a bit of an anomaly.

Chang'e has at the very least been to the court

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Zerilan posted:

Perhaps the part on Robot's CPU that Kat didn't know what it was contained an etheric consciousness.

Maybe, but it seems that Robots have no guide, and doesn't Annie not see anything when she looks at them etherically?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

MikeJF posted:

Maybe, but it seems that Robots have no guide, and doesn't Annie not see anything when she looks at them etherically?

Maybe what people believe about the ether isn't all true, or maybe the Robots have some ether-imitating spark in them.

Edit: I wonder how what the other gods think of the court, or if they notice it at all. We don't really understand the court's presence in the outside world, do we?

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
Wikipedia:

quote:

Bismuth, a pentavalent poor metal, chemically resembles arsenic and antimony.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

SirSamVimes posted:

What happened here? :stare:

MORT happened.

Mort with it.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Everybody likes Mort. Everybody.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Everybody likes Mort. Everybody.

I don't :colbert:

(also I thought current theory what with Coyote has said this chapter is that Mort wasn't an alive person once but an etheric creature that happens to resemble a cartoony ghost)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the2ndgenesis
Mar 18, 2009

You, McNulty, are a gaping asshole. We both know this.

Calaveron posted:

(also I thought current theory what with Coyote has said this chapter is that Mort wasn't an alive person once but an etheric creature that happens to resemble a cartoony ghost)

I'd believe it considering how goofy looking Mort is by comparison to, say, Jeanne. Maybe Mort is an etheric manifestation created by everyone who believes that goofy looking "white sheet" ghosts are a real thing.

Or maybe he just looked that way in his mortal life. v:shobon:v