Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
So my now 7ish year old 1200 is in immaculate condition except for the dust cover which is covered in lots of tiny scratches, you know, not gouges, the ones that plastic stuff like that just gets from day to day use.

Has anyone tried those 3 part plastic polishes, and were you happy with the outcome? Are there any recommendations on which brands are good or bad for this purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
I've been mostly ignoring the PopMarket deals lately, but today's is a big one: the first six Black Sabbath albums for $64.99. Hot poo poo.

DO IT FAST

Edit: Sold out.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Sep 20, 2012

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Shuga Records has a coupon good for the next ten days: shuga_summer30
It'll take 30% off of your order's total, if you don't mind slogging through their browsing interface.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Well, this November, the Beatles are being reissued on vinyl, finally. They're not full analog pressings, they are sourced from the latest digital remasters, but that's to be expected (apparently, getting anything released is really difficult).

The only downside is that they are only issuing the albums in stereo, for the time being. They MAY do a mono pressing later on, depending on sales, which makes sense since a lot of people would buy both, but they probably wouldn't buy both at the same time.

It just sucks if you are like me and you'd rather have the albums in the original mono mixes.

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-99231-...aign=soundbytes

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
Speaking of The Beatles in mono, I just found this at a store about 15 minutes ago:

(click through for big)

It has a bit of surface noise but on the whole it's in pretty good nick. It's weird having a gatefold that opens at the top though.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

david puddy posted:

Speaking of The Beatles in mono, I just found this at a store about 15 minutes ago:

(click through for big)

It has a bit of surface noise but on the whole it's in pretty good nick. It's weird having a gatefold that opens at the top though.

Queen II opens at the top.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Queen II opens at the top.

Oh, I didn't mean like that (that is cool though). Like this:

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
My stereo opens at the top like that too. I think All Things Must Pass does as well, but that's the least of that album's packaging problems.

The ones that really bug me for some reason are the ones that have the opening, and therefore the spine on an odd side, so when you file them properly spine out, the cover is on it's side. Straight away I can think of at least Michael Jackson's Off the Wall and The Eagles' One of These Nights that do it. Why?

e: Oh wait, Off the Wall is because it's a gatefold, and his legs are on the back, so it's a portrait gatefold rather than a landscape. The Eagles have no excuse though.

Ron Burgundy fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Sep 21, 2012

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Ron Burgundy posted:

My stereo opens at the top like that too. I think All Things Must Pass does as well, but that's the least of that album's packaging problems.

The ones that really bug me for some reason are the ones that have the opening, and therefore the spine on an odd side, so when you file them properly spine out, the cover is on it's side. Straight away I can think of at least Michael Jackson's Off the Wall and The Eagles' One of These Nights that do it. Why?

e: Oh wait, Off the Wall is because it's a gatefold, and his legs are on the back, so it's a portrait gatefold rather than a landscape. The Eagles have no excuse though.

Time Fades Away by Neil Young does this too. But I think it makes sense to have the spine placed in such a way that the album cover appears sideways on a shelf. If you have the opening facing up it's just making it a doorway for dust.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

CPL593H posted:

Time Fades Away by Neil Young does this too. But I think it makes sense to have the spine placed in such a way that the album cover appears sideways on a shelf. If you have the opening facing up it's just making it a doorway for dust.

Yeah, that's what I was concerned about. I'm just going to double-bag it so dust can't get in I guess.

\/\/\/ I don't like putting outer sleeves on so the opening is on the side because it crumples up when I slide something in next to it.

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Sep 21, 2012

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

david puddy posted:

Yeah, that's what I was concerned about. I'm just going to double-bag it so dust can't get in I guess.

You don't have to double bag it. Just place it in the bag with the opening on the right side, the way you would with a conventional album cover.

edit: Or alternatively put the bag on so the top is covered and the bag's opening is where the spine is.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Sep 21, 2012

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Does anyone else get irritated with plastic sleeves bunching up? Maybe I just need to buy a bunch of the same bags instead of using various kinds. They get bunched up or cause problems when pulling records in and out. I probably need a better shelf though. I have about 50+ records on one shelf and I'm starting to have issues pulling records from the middle.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

I Might Be Adam posted:

Does anyone else get irritated with plastic sleeves bunching up? Maybe I just need to buy a bunch of the same bags instead of using various kinds. They get bunched up or cause problems when pulling records in and out. I probably need a better shelf though. I have about 50+ records on one shelf and I'm starting to have issues pulling records from the middle.

All my sleeves are fairly snug, and I have the opening at the top so they don't get scrunched up. I used to have the opening on the same side as the spine, I had problems then.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Ugg I had some records go missing on me including a really good original press of "All Things Must Pass".

Nice White Album find. I'm looking forward to the whole Beatles catalog being re-issued. Hopefully a mono is in the works.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
The zip lock bags are a pain as well because if you seal them 100% you can never get enough air out to stop each and every one being an annoying air pillow thing. Consequently I only seal them 3/4 of the way. :corsair:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Ron Burgundy posted:

The zip lock bags are a pain as well because if you seal them 100% you can never get enough air out to stop each and every one being an annoying air pillow thing. Consequently I only seal them 3/4 of the way. :corsair:

You could just punch a hole in every bag.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Ron Burgundy posted:

I didn't even know they had zipper seal bags for LPs.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
So my grandmother is selling her house, and decided to get rid of a lot of old junk - including a giant vinyl collection. Knowing I like vinyl, she let me have everything.

So I sit down to start picking through, and ...

... Lawrence Welk, polka, showtunes, and on and on. The few albums that were remotely noteworthy were all beat and scratched to hell.

*The only album that was in great shape was an interesting James Bond Disco album (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LumwvWt2Z4).

Ah well.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

In Vinyl We Trust is closing on Sunday, code Sept20 for 20% off until then.

WASDF
Jul 29, 2011

After a bout in Canada to Rifflandia to see The Flaming Lips live I bought a ton of records. Check 'em out.

The Cats soundtrack is a gift that I'm giving to someone, but it's funny to see anyway. I haven't listen to it yet.

All of these records are rad as gently caress, bottom two are HOLOGRAMS S/T and Hop Along - Get Disowned

I saw Animal Collective on their first show of the tour in Seattle this week and picked up a fancy Centipede Hz

This is probably the coolest package I got from an indie record label. It's so nice of them to include all of that bad rear end stuff and also write a personal letter.

if you don't know who NAH is, start to know now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xzvy_V-_Hw

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

WASDF posted:

if you don't know who NAH is, start to know now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xzvy_V-_Hw

Best musicvideo I've seen in sometime.

Kolchak
May 3, 2006

If I don't tell this story now, I don't think I ever will.
My apologies if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find it anywhere, here or elsewhere on the net:

I've noticed that a lot of my LPs sound worse the closer the needle gets to the centre of the record. By the last song, the quality has dropped completely - "s" sounds are distorted and there's a general grunginess to the overall tone that is very unappealing. But the first tracks sound crisp and clear.

Would this be my player, or the records themselves? Has anyone ever encountered this problem? I can't think of a rational explanation for it, but then I don't really know what I'm talking about anyway. I don't have a very advanced setup, just a $175 Sony turntable hooked into my home entertainment system.

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

Kolchak posted:

My apologies if this has been asked before, but I couldn't find it anywhere, here or elsewhere on the net:

I've noticed that a lot of my LPs sound worse the closer the needle gets to the centre of the record. By the last song, the quality has dropped completely - "s" sounds are distorted and there's a general grunginess to the overall tone that is very unappealing. But the first tracks sound crisp and clear.

Would this be my player, or the records themselves? Has anyone ever encountered this problem? I can't think of a rational explanation for it, but then I don't really know what I'm talking about anyway. I don't have a very advanced setup, just a $175 Sony turntable hooked into my home entertainment system.

It's completely rational. Data gets closer together the further toward the center it is due to how fast the data is read on the outside when compared to the inside. So technically the data is getting worse at a constant rate as you listen to it. That being said you may need to make some adjustments because I seldom, if ever, notice.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Kolchak posted:

This is called end groove distortion. Basically, as the guy above said, as you get closer to the center of the record, the same amount of information is pressed into smaller and smaller space. It's like an MP3. The more compact you make the file, the worse it will sound. If I'm doing my math right, the outer edge of a record would have about 2-3 feet to cover 1.38 seconds of sound, where as the closer you get, you would cover that same space in under a foot.

NOW, that being said, end groove distortion is a known reality of vinyl mastering, and a mastering engineer should take that into account when they are mastering the record. They'll give the grooves more space, they'll make changes to the EQ and compression, they'll do a variety of things. Sometimes, they even make changes to the playing order. For instance, apparently, on Peter Gabriel's "So," "In Your Eyes" was move from the last track of the album to the first track of side 2 so that way the song would sound its best, since it is a very dynamic, bass and percussion heavy song.

But honestly, mastering engineers now have a lot of different tools that they can use to prevent this issue from being too bad. Yeah, there will be some quality loss, but it shouldn't be too bad.

Of course, there are a lot of factors at play today. For instance, it is possible that whoever presses your records are just using the CD masters, or aren't paying people money to do a good job. Also, if possible, you might want to check the alignment and tracking force of your needle, since if you are getting bad results, that could be the cause, especially if it is happening on all of your discs. You'll know if you can adjust it since it will be plain as day (also, you will have a counterweight attached to your tonearm).

Can you tell us which records it is happening on? That's a quick and easy way to diagnose if it is the record, or if it is your turntable, or if you are some freak with supernatural cat like hearing.

Kolchak
May 3, 2006

If I don't tell this story now, I don't think I ever will.
Awesome, thanks for the info! That makes total sense. I can't adjust the alignment; it's a fairly no-frills record player.

But now that you mention it might be that CD masters are being used, that kind of makes sense. A lot of what I listen to is modern punk rock, for which they probably don't have the money or the inclination to master specifically for vinyl. It's particularly bad on a recent 2xLP reissue of a couple of Belvedere albums from the early 2000s, which were originally released only on CD. Whereas something like the new Jack White solo record or the previously mentioned Peter Gabriel album sound fine.

I just tried to do a random sampling of stuff, but now, of course, I can't find many examples, especially not ones that would overlap with the general tastes in this thread, in order to compare. Right now, all I've got is:

- the new Green Day record ("Uno!"), was actually what made me post this tonight
- Propagandhi's "Supporting Case", last tracks on both discs sound awful, muddled and distorted
- the above mentioned Belvedere records

Kinda frustrating. I swear I was hearing it all the time before! Ah well. I'll keep listening. Maybe I'm exaggerating the problem. Thanks again for explaining it though; at least I know it's a real thing now!

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

Red posted:

So my grandmother is selling her house, and decided to get rid of a lot of old junk - including a giant vinyl collection. Knowing I like vinyl, she let me have everything.

So I sit down to start picking through, and ...

... Lawrence Welk, polka, showtunes, and on and on. The few albums that were remotely noteworthy were all beat and scratched to hell.

*The only album that was in great shape was an interesting James Bond Disco album (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LumwvWt2Z4).

Ah well.

Imagine a white trash family breathing down your neck while you flip through a collection like this (and being pissed when you tell them it isn't worth anything, or that you can only make an offer on two or three records out of the seven boxes they loaded into their minivan) several times a month and you've got a third of the record store clerk experience.

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:
I had some nice scores last weekend. Nothing too rare, but I was able to get three really good records for considerably less than they usually go for.

I picked up:

Renaldo and the Loaf & The Residents collabo for $12!
Bikini Kill/Huggy Bear split for $8!
Art Ensemble of New York - Full Force for $4
and this oddity: http://www.discogs.com/Marc-Almond-And-Friends-Discipline/release/2619011 I had no idea this exists and I'm a big Soft Cell and Throbbing Gristle fan. I saw Marc Almond on top and almost skimmed past it when I saw (Carter, Tutti, P. Orridge, Christopherson) a little below.

Also, attention Coil fans! Soleilmoon is repressing the Sickness of Snakes side of their split with Current 93:

Soleilmoon posted:

In the early 1980s, shortly after the breakup of Throbbing Gristle, Boyd Rice went to London to record a one-off studio session with Jeff Rushton and Peter Christopherson, who had recently started releasing records as Coil. The trio called themselves The Sickness of Snakes, and the recordings were released on a split 12 inch, with Current 93 taking the opposite side of the album. Now, more than 25 years after the original release, Boyd Rice is reissuing the three Sickness of Snakes tracks as a one-sided 12 inch record and a CDEP. Both editions are presented in lavishly printed sleeves, and include previously unpublished photos of Boyd Rice and Coil and a new essay written by Boyd Rice. For the CDEP, the photos and essay are printed in an eight page booklet, and for the vinyl edition, they're printed on a long, folded insert. The red vinyl edition is limited to 99 numbered copies, and is available only to Soleilmoon mailorder customers.

The Doo Do Chasers fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Sep 23, 2012

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

theradiostillsucks posted:

Imagine a white trash family breathing down your neck while you flip through a collection like this (and being pissed when you tell them it isn't worth anything, or that you can only make an offer on two or three records out of the seven boxes they loaded into their minivan) several times a month and you've got a third of the record store clerk experience.

Whaddya mean my Air Supply Greatest Hits record is worthless? WHAT DO YOU MEAN?! And Ray Conniff, he's bound to make a comeback any day now. And then you'll want my records. And praise music? What about all the Christians that come here sick and tired of only having devil music to listen to on their turn-table?

Vintage Vinyl, the record store I frequent, doesn't accept most Frank Sinatra records, any of that easy listening stuff, or soundtracks. And of course, if you look at reviews on line, you'll find the occasional person complaining that they wouldn't buy anything in their collection. I bet it's like that episode of Seinfeld.

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

and this oddity: http://www.discogs.com/Marc-Almond-And-Friends-Discipline/release/2619011 I had no idea this exists and I'm a big Soft Cell and Throbbing Gristle fan. I saw Marc Almond on top and almost skimmed past it when I saw (Carter, Tutti, P. Orridge, Christopherson) a little below.

That is a super sweet find.

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
Went on a bit of rampage this week.

Coldplay - X&Y $12 used
Title Fight - Floral Green (floral print out of 500)
Radiohead - Paranoid Android EP $8 clearance pick
Death Cab For Cutie - Plans $14 used
Silversun Pickups - Seasick 10" $5 clearance pick
Huey Lewis & The News - Fore $1 used
Phil Collins - Face Value $1 used
VHS or Beta - Le Funk $5 used

Flea Market Picks
Beverley Hills Cop OST $1
Architecture in Helsinki - That Beep $1
Beach Boys - Endless Summer $7
R. Kelly - I Believe I Can Fly $1
Genesis - Abacab - $1
Full Metal Jacket OST - $1

Coldplay - Violet Hill $3 used
Coldplay - Clocks $3 used
Art Brut - Nag Nag Nag Nag $5 used
Peter Gabriel - Sledgehammer $3 used

And here's the vinyl for Title Fight. Not as crazy as some of the others I've seen, but still happy I snagged one. Definitely enjoying their progression.

Still have the Tigers Jaw self-titled repressing in Red/Orange Starburst /300, Cream /400, black /600, and their 2008 Tour EP heading my way at the end of October.

lazerwolf
Dec 22, 2009

Orange and Black
Murder by Death shipped me their new album with some amazing packaging.

Cut outs in the sleeve and it came with a chinese lantern and zoetrope!

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I got my copy of "Love This Giant" from 4AD and the whole jacket showed up in bad condition. There's a crease on the front and the glossy back is ripped in some places. Really disappointed. :(

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx
You can use the coupon code fall2012 to get 15% off everything at Insound until 12 AM EST on October 2nd.

And I just got Pallbearer's Sorrow and Extinction from my friendly neighborhood brick & mortar. The packaging is pretty standard, but the music itself is fuckin' beautiful.

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Got these in the mail yesterday:

Some 7"s aside, my Portugal. The Man discography is now complete!

Been waiting for a re-ish of these two for the longest time, so stoked to finally have what are two of my favourite albums ever on LP. Unfortunately one of the corners on Red Album has a tiny fold :(

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Parachute Underwear posted:

Been waiting for a re-ish of these two for the longest time, so stoked to finally have what are two of my favourite albums ever on LP. Unfortunately one of the corners on Red Album has a tiny fold :(

Very jealous. Those albums are awesome (and awesome looking).
Nice grab.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know we've got some New England people here. Have any of you been to Analog Underground in Providence? I only heard about them recently, but apparently theyr on the same drat street as another shop I frequent (Armageddon Shop).

Parachute Underwear posted:

Unfortunately one of the corners on Red Album has a tiny fold :(

I'm not trying to be dickish, but why do so many people freak out about this kind of thing? I'd say more than half the time, the albums I buy/see in stores have some minor imperfection on the cover. As long as the disc is fine and the cover isn't completely destroyed I don't see what the issue is.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
I've bought some goldmine fair/poor discs provided they are very cheap just to have them until a better copy comes along.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

CPL593H posted:

I'm not trying to be dickish, but why do so many people freak out about this kind of thing? I'd say more than half the time, the albums I buy/see in stores have some minor imperfection on the cover. As long as the disc is fine and the cover isn't completely destroyed I don't see what the issue is.

Because it will hurt the resell value! If it's not mint you won't be able to get the maximum price when you inevitably flip it on ebay!

But seriously, living in Australia and buying a lot of my records from overseas, I'm used to getting bent corners and seam splits. As long as the record's not warped to buggery or the sleeve is all beaten up, I don't give a poo poo.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Oh nothing bugs me more when people say "This brand new record I got has a skip in it!" That's life. The last record I got with a skip in it was Best Coast's "The Only Place," but fortunately, that was in between the tracks, so it became like a 3rd side!

But yeah, the covers are small, flimsy pieces of cardboard with nothing to support them except force of will. They are going to get bent, they are going to cave in, things are going to happen to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

answersyouseek
Aug 19, 2003

No Moderation

CPL593H posted:

I know we've got some New England people here. Have any of you been to Analog Underground in Providence? I only heard about them recently, but apparently theyr on the same drat street as another shop I frequent (Armageddon Shop).

I'm heading up to Rhode Island next week are there any decent record stores in Newport that you know of? Hopefully I can stop by the shops in Providence as well.