Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invalid Octopus
Jun 30, 2008

When is dinner?

Tenterhooks posted:

Think you're thinking of chains.cc.

Yes, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Springly
Dec 10, 2011

Wedemeyer posted:

Does a basic recipe for chocolate chip cookies really need butter? On that note does it really need two different kinds of sugar? Why not just have a single cup of white sugar with some molasses, or a cup of brown sugar?

In the US, does Starbucks give you a discount if you bring in your own container for hot water/coffee? I could only find info for Brits at 10p discount.

No, people just stupidly overcomplicate most recipes. Just use brown sugar, but butter is delicious. you do need that. You could go without but the dough
would be dry and less tasty, and you may as well just eat the chocolate chips. If it's a diet thing you can substitute with some healthier oil, since that's basically what butter is.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Install Gentoo posted:

Mostly high schools and community colleges seem to do it.

My high school did it -- "honors" classes counted toward your GPA a full point higher than the usual grade letter, so an A was worth 5.0, a B was 4.0, etc.

This meant that only people willing to min-max their entire class schedule to get into as many honors classes as possible, from day one, were ever in the running for valedictorian. I think the guy who did it in my year graduated with a four-point-five-something.

e: The few other people in the running also got straight As, but they'd missed some obscure opportunity for an honors elective somewhere.

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Sep 22, 2012

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
What is the difference between rubbing alcohol and hydrogen peroxide when it comes to disinfecting cuts and scrapes?

e: why doesn't The Goon Doctor have a small questions thread for dealing with minor injuries?

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Powered Descent posted:

e: The few other people in the running also got straight As, but they'd missed some obscure opportunity for an honors elective somewhere.

My former school gave the same type of inflated grades for AP and IB classes, but they gave valedictorian to everyone with a 4.0+ GPA. We had 17 valedictorians :v:

Meat Recital posted:

What is the difference between rubbing alcohol and hydrogen peroxide when it comes to disinfecting cuts and scrapes?

I was taught in an anatomy class that hydrogen peroxide isn't an effective anti-bacterial agent for cleaning wounds. It's an oxidizing agent but I believe that most of the bacteria that will get into skin wounds are able to metabolize it even in large quantities. This makes bubbles but doesn't do much else. Wikipedia seems to corroborate this.

TheGame fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Sep 22, 2012

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

Meat Recital posted:

e: why doesn't The Goon Doctor have a small questions thread for dealing with minor injuries?

Liability, maybe?

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

Springly posted:

No, people just stupidly overcomplicate most recipes. Just use brown sugar, but butter is delicious. you do need that. You could go without but the dough
would be dry and less tasty, and you may as well just eat the chocolate chips. If it's a diet thing you can substitute with some healthier oil, since that's basically what butter is.

Yeah, I have to agree with this. For that type of cookie you would want to use only brown sugar. I have had chocochip cookies with white sugar, and they are gross in my opinion. A traditional chocochip will only use brown. My Five Roses ancient cookbook is the recipe that I've used forever. I only use white sugar if it's obvious that it should be used, such as in sugar cookies.

The white sugar tends to make a cookie harder or crisper, the brown more moist and soft. For drop cookies I use brown, rolled or shaped cookies (like sugar cookies) white.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wedemeyer posted:

In the US, does Starbucks give you a discount if you bring in your own container for hot water/coffee? I could only find info for Brits at 10p discount.

Yes, I think it 10-15 cents off.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

tarepanda posted:

Liability, maybe?

I don't think that's the problem since their first (and correct) recommendation is always 'go to your goddamn doctor and don't rely on the internet.' I'm betting that the reason they don't have a short-answer thread is that medical problems almost always require a lot of depth to answer correctly and fully. Posters in TGD are asked to give complete descriptions of problems, extensive physical data (are you overweight? gender, smoker, medications, medical history, etc.), pictures-- this means that posts usually shouldn't be that short. If we're just talking about little cuts, I doubt anyone's going to get pissed if you make a thread about 'how do I treat my cuts?' I've seen more menial threads stick around there as long as they're earnest.

Of course, there's an IRC channel in a sticky thread that appears to be open as well. People in there could no-doubt take quick questions.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Ok this is driving me crazy, and I'm sorry that I'm so short on details I feel like I'm chasing a ghost...a few days ago I either heard a song or saw a video with a cartoon character singing a song with full lyrics to the tune of the chicken yodel, and now I can't remember what the hell it was. This is of absolutely no consequence save for the sake of my sanity. I am almost sure it was a video and the cartoon was I think about the character running away or talking about how he is always having to run away from something.

Here is the chicken yodel for reference:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHJPwO02HuI

Actually now that I think about it...I think maybe it was a video short on a webcomic site or something similar...but I can't be sure....oh god help.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

WillieWestwood posted:

"Hear ye! Hear ye! Hear ye!" Or its French counterpart, "Oyez! Oyez! Oyez!"?

I was thinking of Oyez, thanks.

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
If I make a post on Tumblr and give it a tag, it'll show up on my own Tumblr under that tag, but it won't show up on Tumblr as a whole, so to speak, if I search for that tag (meaning, if I click on the http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/that-tag-I-used link). I have my posts marked as public; what am I missing?

Excavation
May 18, 2004

FEED ME CRAYONS
I've got a bunch of MP3s with id3 information in Cyrillic, but something's gone bung and the information for many of the tracks has changed to what can best be described as "a cl*sterfuck of accented vowels". I think it may be because those Latin character codes correspond to the Cyrillic ones in the "Keyboard made a boom boom 2: Electric Boomaloo" extension thingamidoover from the pre-Unicode days. I am not high, I am just horribly confused and frustrated because I don't know the technical lingo to get it all fixed. I'm guessing I just need to run it through a tagging program that can convert the character set from western european to cyrillic but christ on a draughthorse I have no idea what I'm doing with this stuff and could use some direction. Cheers!

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
If you re-encode the tags, I think UTF-8 would honestly be the best bet.

Excavation
May 18, 2004

FEED ME CRAYONS

tarepanda posted:

If you re-encode the tags, I think UTF-8 would honestly be the best bet.

The problem is I'm not really sure how to re-encode the tags unless I do it manually. I think iTunes had a hand in screwing it up because quite a few tracks are fine, while others on the same albums are all mangled.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Blenheim posted:

If I make a post on Tumblr and give it a tag, it'll show up on my own Tumblr under that tag, but it won't show up on Tumblr as a whole, so to speak, if I search for that tag (meaning, if I click on the http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/that-tag-I-used link). I have my posts marked as public; what am I missing?

Go to https://www.tumblr.com/settings/dashboard and see if you checked off "Browse tag pages in Safe Mode".
If it isn't, go to http://www.tumblr.com/blog/YOUR BLOG'SURLHERE/settings and see if you marked your blog contents NSFW. That means your posts won't show up in the general tagged post list, whether they're full on naked people or pictures of kittens.

If this doesn't work it could be a missinge problem.

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
I checked, and I'm not in Safe Mode, and I haven't marked my Tumblr NSFW. Must be a glitch elsewhere; thank you, though.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
What are the whining robot noises that you hear on planes as they taxi out to takeoff? It sounds similar in pitch to the gear/gear doors but it's irregular, repeats maybe 4-12 times with a period of a second or two.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

uwaeve posted:

What are the whining robot noises that you hear on planes as they taxi out to takeoff? It sounds similar in pitch to the gear/gear doors but it's irregular, repeats maybe 4-12 times with a period of a second or two.

It could be the flaps, if the pilot is getting them ready for takeoff before the plane is at the runway.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
How much would it cost to ship a desktop computer aprox? Its a gaming comp, pretty big tower, a flatscreen monitor. Hoping it would be less than $100? Would it make a difference to take out parts inside (say vid card, its pretty big etc)? Doesnt really matter if its USPS or fexex or w/e, just as long as itll be safe during transport.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Malalol posted:

How much would it cost to ship a desktop computer aprox? Its a gaming comp, pretty big tower, a flatscreen monitor. Hoping it would be less than $100? Would it make a difference to take out parts inside (say vid card, its pretty big etc)? Doesnt really matter if its USPS or fexex or w/e, just as long as itll be safe during transport.

When I was finishing up at my A-school in the Marines and looking to ship my computer out to Hawaii, it was hella expensive. Granted, shipping pretty much anything out to Hawaii is loving expensive, so I don't know how much of a factor that was. What I would do add up the weight of everything, and figure out how big of a box you would be comfortable packing it in (I had UPS pack it, then checked it on the plane with me), then take that information to whatever shipping company and get a quote from them.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Malalol posted:

All of the sites have shipping calculators, just estimate the size of the box (with good packing material) and weigh them (or look for the whitesheet and get the weight).

A 25lb package 24"X24"X24" coast to coast is 108$ on USPS

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea

uwaeve posted:

Sit where you can see the wings next time. You'll see the pilot moving around the flaps/ailerons/spoilers (probably the rudder too). It's just to check if everything's working right.

e: :argh:

Excavation
May 18, 2004

FEED ME CRAYONS

Excavation posted:

The problem is I'm not really sure how to re-encode the tags unless I do it manually. I think iTunes had a hand in screwing it up because quite a few tracks are fine, while others on the same albums are all mangled.

I figured it out, luckily there was a foobar plugin called chacon that did the trick. If anyone has any tracks that use foreign scripts in id3 tags, it would be a good idea to download it as it's quite handy.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

An observer posted:

Sit where you can see the wings next time. You'll see the pilot moving around the flaps/ailerons/spoilers (probably the rudder too). It's just to check if everything's working right.

e: :argh:

Definitely not flaps, slats, or any of the control surfaces I can see. I guess it could be something in the tail, but it sounds very different than the sounds I hear when I see the flaps and slats moving. Actually similar in pitch or tone (pretty sure it's just hydraulic whine), but instead of being smooth and constant, it sounds like a cat fight coming from below the passenger compartment or whatever. I'm pretty sure it's not the pilot wiping the control surfaces either, because I only ever hear it on the ground. Unless maybe its the surfaces hitting their limits which never happens any other times?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

uwaeve posted:

Definitely not flaps, slats, or any of the control surfaces I can see. I guess it could be something in the tail, but it sounds very different than the sounds I hear when I see the flaps and slats moving. Actually similar in pitch or tone (pretty sure it's just hydraulic whine), but instead of being smooth and constant, it sounds like a cat fight coming from below the passenger compartment or whatever. I'm pretty sure it's not the pilot wiping the control surfaces either, because I only ever hear it on the ground. Unless maybe its the surfaces hitting their limits which never happens any other times?

Luggage containers being moved in the hold?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_Load_Device

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

spog posted:

Luggage containers being moved in the hold?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_Load_Device

Found a video.

Had a thought that maybe it's the pilot balancing fuel or something?

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I don't necessarily think this is the best place for my question, but I've not found anywhere better just because it's a really small question.

I am flying to Amsterdam to do some work tomorrow - arriving in the morning and leaving in the evening. I forgot to send a screwdriver ahead of time and I won't be able to carry one on the plane. Does anyone know where I can get one that is either: in/near the airport or easy walking distance from Centraal station?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
You should ask in the Dutch language thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2332955&pagenumber=2131&perpage=40

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Malalol posted:

Anything you can wiggle a fair bit should be taken out and boxed separately. Definitely take out the video card, and maybe the hard drive(s) as well depending on how they are mounted.

An observer
Aug 30, 2008

where the stars are drowning and whales ferry their vast souls through the black and seamless sea

uwaeve posted:

Ohhh, so it's that other sound! Yeah, I've heard it, but I don't know what it is either. It's kind of like a quick hydraulic woop-woop-woop-woop coming from below right?

e: oh wait you said on the ground. Hmmm. I don't know then.

An observer fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 24, 2012

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I have a 2 level house with 1 central air unit for each floor.

Is it more economical to run the downstairs only if no one is upstairs, or would it be better to cool the whole house evenly? My mind says to just run the one unit but if a lot of the air is escaping to the upstairs anyways would it be better to just run both?

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

What is the difference between a scooter, moped, and motorcycle?

Rabidbunny
Feb 7, 2003
What exactly do regulators on furnaces do? The one in my apartment broke sometime over the summer, so when I turned the heat on I had a strong smell of natural gas in my unit. Needless to say I spent most of the past couple nights freezing cold since I didn't want the gas smell to kill me or make me really sick.

TheGame
Jul 4, 2005

RebBrownies posted:

What is the difference between a scooter, moped, and motorcycle?

I was going to type a whole thing out, but this kinda sums it up: https://www.dmv.ca.gov/motorcycles/motorcycles.htm

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Rabidbunny posted:

What exactly do regulators on furnaces do? The one in my apartment broke sometime over the summer, so when I turned the heat on I had a strong smell of natural gas in my unit. Needless to say I spent most of the past couple nights freezing cold since I didn't want the gas smell to kill me or make me really sick.

Is your pilot light on? There should be a way to check on your furnace. If it's off and the smell of natural gas is really strong, you should leave the house and call your gas company right now. Don't screw around with natural gas.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I set up a second email account in Outlook 2007, and decided to give it a separate inbox instead of mixing its emails with those of my primary account. This second account is not a fresh one; it is loaded from pst archive. When I try to set it to put new emails into its own inbox, it doesn't recognize the inbox. What's going on?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
For most websites, I don't need to type "www." first. However, occasionally I'll run into one that won't resolve properly without the prefix (mostly DoD or DoD-related sites). What's the difference?

Rabidbunny
Feb 7, 2003

Lawnie posted:

Is your pilot light on? There should be a way to check on your furnace. If it's off and the smell of natural gas is really strong, you should leave the house and call your gas company right now. Don't screw around with natural gas.

I have no access to the pilot since I live in a 24 unit complex. The email I got from the property manager this morning basically said they thing the cause was the regulator not functioning correctly. Even though my dad used to run a small business that dealt with delivering propane and relighting people's pilot lights I never picked up on any of that knowledge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

An observer posted:

Ohhh, so it's that other sound! Yeah, I've heard it, but I don't know what it is either. It's kind of like a quick hydraulic woop-woop-woop-woop coming from below right?

e: oh wait you said on the ground. Hmmm. I don't know then.

Yes, and thanks to replying to multiple people you may have missed that I found a video.

Your description makes me think of Juggalos running wild in the cargo hold, which I suppose is the place for them if they have to travel by air.