Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iSheep
Feb 5, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Psych put me on Ritalin. He was kind of a weird guy. But whatever... I am about to take my first dose of :catdrugs:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OmNom
Dec 31, 2003

I make a damn tasty cookie. https://bit.ly/rgjqfw
Some of you might remember about how I was trying to navigate the feeling surrounding ending my recent relationship, and trying to determine if my new found emotional stability and emotional states were real or not. Well thanks to the stability of being treated and finding drugs that worked for me I took a few months since that post to really work through my poo poo and decided to end it.

For the first time though, I didn't do it because I felt trapped or in some mountain vs. molehill ADD freakout. While the decision wasn't easy and I feel loving empty and miserable, I made the choice with a clear mind and that is how I knew it was time to end it. No panic, save for the obvious inherent anxiety that stems from loving breakups, just this calm focus.

Being able to accept that not being unhappy doesn't mean I am happy, and allowing myself to leave because sometimes wanting to leave is reason enough, makes this just a little easier. What is so nice is that the impetus to leave has nothing to do with depression, being overwhelmed, or any other latent issues.

I could've done this much sooner, but at least I did it with a level of grace and compassion I don't think I could've managed prior to treatment. Doesn't make it easier on either of us, but I feel better about my choice.

Thanks goons.

Eds
May 25, 2007

BirdOfPlay posted:

.... I just remembered about those Driven... books, but I don't know which one is the first/better one to read. Is it Driven to Distraction or Driven from distraction?

Driven To Distraction is the original book. You want Delivered From Distraction - it basically includes the original, plus new learning/research and stuff.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

Eds posted:

Driven To Distraction is the original book. You want Delivered From Distraction - it basically includes the original, plus new learning/research and stuff.

Since I have lysdexia as well it really angers me that they named those books so similar!

I must remember - "From, from, from...!" That'll get me some looks at the bookstore. :v:

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.
Ughhh been dealing with a big lapse in :catdrugs:... once I'd finally gotten used to what it's like being able to keep track of myself. It was supposed to be a two day lapse over the weekend, but with a combo of my mom, doc, and the pharmacist not being perfectly coordinated all the time, the meds being Schedule II (can't accept a faxed prescription, need to see real ink! and other bs), and then the pharmacy being out when the prescription finally went through, it's annoying. Tomorrow, though. I can't wait to be productive again. :( It's so much easier with the meds.

So yeah.. can't wait to get a job with insurance, so I'm not relying on parent-supplied insurance that only works on the opposite side of the country (hence my mom getting the meds and shipping them). Still, it's better than whatever lovely single payer plan I'd be able to afford on my own.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Had to reschedule my appointment today because my psych's office is incompetent or something and can't help but keep everyone waiting for ever. I showed up on time and there were still 2 people waiting ahead of me. So now I get to be without the Vyvanse for a week after being on it for a month. It'll be a neat experiment!! :toot:

Dolemite
Jun 30, 2005
Just stated Vyvanse today and wowzers, poo poo is GREAT! The first hour or so is a little rough. It's almost like too much medicine as I'm so wound up that I can't focus very well.

But then it tapers off to a very nice level and you're just in the ZONE all day. It's a nice, cleaner effect as it works as well. Way better than the generic Barr Labs extended release Dex capsules.

The Dex capsules just felt, well, 'dirty'. Hard to explain. Kind of like the cheap rush you get from coffee. Whereas Vyvanse is about as nice feeling as Adderall. Except Vyvanse is actually easy to find.

While talking to the psych to get started on Vyvanse, I asked about getting something to possibly combat my anxiety and possible depression. The psych doesn't want to prescribe any anxiety or depression meds yet, but wants me to get counseling first.

Fair enough, now to find a counselor that would specialize in that. Not really sure how to find one - as in, what qualifications to look for. I would just go to one of the counselors at my psych's practice, but they only take appointments from 11am-3pm. Great job accommodating the usual 9-5 schedule guys...

Atlas Moth
Jan 13, 2012

Eternally nonplussed.
I'm undiagnosed, but I've always been pretty certain that I've got something. My brother is a diagnosed hyperactive ADHD-er and although I can connect to some of his traits, I often feel like the complete opposite. Where he is hyperactive and impulsive, I am sluggish and indecisive.

I do get pretty massive mood swings however, and what bugs me the most is the inconsistency. I'm either anxious and sluggish and in some sort of 'refuse-to-give-a-gently caress-about-anything-ever' mood or I'm some sort of high-powered social butterfly (although the latter being less frequent). The lack of a middle ground is exhausting and has had an impact on my friendships as I'm always swinging between two extremes.
I'm either an inarticulate, neurotic stranger, or I'm your best friend.

I'd write more about the crippling inactivity in my day-to-day and how this took 25 minutes to write, but the mood swings are what kills me the most.

Can anyone relate?

Atlas Moth fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Sep 21, 2012

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

Atlas Moth posted:

I'm undiagnosed, but I've always been pretty certain that I've got something. My brother is a diagnosed hyperactive ADHD-er and although I can connect to some of his traits, I often feel like the complete opposite. Where he is hyperactive and impulsive, I am sluggish and indecisive.

I do get pretty massive mood swings however, and what bugs me the most is the inconsistency. I'm either anxious and sluggish and in some sort of 'refuse-to-give-a-gently caress-about-anything-ever' mood or I'm some sort of high-powered social butterfly (although the latter being less frequent). The lack of a middle ground is exhausting and has had an impact on my friendships as I'm always swinging between two extremes.

I'd write more about the crippling inactivity in my day-to-day and how this took 25 minutes to write, but the mood swings are what kills me the most.

Can anyone relate?

Its called inattentive adhd. You should get diagnosed and treated. You can have a better life. I would start by reading Delivered FROM Distraction as mentioned earlier.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Atlas Moth posted:

Can anyone relate?

Yes I can! My "states" are different though:

-Happy enthusiastic state, engaged in whatever I'm doing, social, DO ALL THE THINGS (mostly as long as they are fun and interesting)
-Neutral bored kind of irritable state where I'm more than likely daydreaming a shitton.
-Depressed and freaking out about something, feeling hopeless and worthless.

I just started Vyvanse. It does seem to be helping with mood some but I don't want to speak too soon. Ritalin and Adderall made my mood swings WORSE although apparently that doesn't happen to everyone.

Speaking of meds . . . Are meds supposed to help with fidgeting? I am always doing stupid things with my hands when I'm bored like twirling my hair :downs: or picking at my nail polish. I haven't found my perfect med/dosage yet but it seems like it hasn't curbed it outside of when I'm actually engaged and doing something. Is that to be expected?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I always found figeting to be a problem only when I either A) didn't get enough sleep the previous night, or B) hadn't gotten enough exercise lately.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

TheBigBad posted:

Its called inattentive adhd. You should get diagnosed and treated. You can have a better life. I would start by reading Delivered FROM Distraction as mentioned earlier.
Finally got my copy last night! :toot: And while I didn't break down in tears in the park reading it there were some "oh gently caress" moments where I was like "stop describing exactly me how do you know all the little wrong things ohmygod there's someone else out there like me!"

HondaCivet posted:

Speaking of meds . . . Are meds supposed to help with fidgeting? I am always doing stupid things with my hands when I'm bored like twirling my hair :downs: or picking at my nail polish. I haven't found my perfect med/dosage yet but it seems like it hasn't curbed it outside of when I'm actually engaged and doing something. Is that to be expected?

Just learn a stupid pen twirl trick, so at least it's a cool fidget. :cool:

In uncool news, looks like I am between insurance coverage longer that I thought I'd be (mix up at school.. automatic charge does not = automatic payment.. :argh:) but I still on the hunt for an ADD related therapist so hopefully if there is a long wait for an apt I can line both up.

Any ADD support groups that are part of an organization? In Driven he talks about how something based on a 12 step model could be really beneficial and I agree! I do have some addictive tendacies but I feel like if I can get a hold on the ADD I will be less prone to getting lost in the internet and alchohol depression, etc. Co-morbitiy can kiss my rear end. :mad:

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.
I've never found anything Nationally Recognized, but there are usually local groups. Your internet searches will vary. My wife contacted a few, but often they had stupid rules like no normals allowed- so she couldn't even gather information on them. We found that to be a rather stupid and unproductive red flag- because you need the support of those around you.

In a pinch I would definitely start with Alanon which is an organization for friends and family of alcoholics. They advocate the 12 Steps for you, rather than focus on the abuser and that might be a good fit for you.

I used to date an NA/AA (9-11 years sober) member girl and I really enjoyed being part of the sobriety oriented world. They had alot of fun because the population of them spent a good deal of their lives partying and were forced to be social without the aid of drugs and alcohol so flying kites at night with glowsticks and other various fun poo poo you would never do with 50 year old biker chicks was something I got to do.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

TheBigBad posted:

I used to date an NA/AA (9-11 years sober) member girl and I really enjoyed being part of the sobriety oriented world. They had alot of fun because the population of them spent a good deal of their lives partying and were forced to be social without the aid of drugs and alcohol so flying kites at night with glowsticks and other various fun poo poo you would never do with 50 year old biker chicks was something I got to do.
Yeah, I've been to a couple meetings which have ranged from angry old men in a church basement being a bit condescending to a me as a newb, to an awesome one of college kids in a rich suburb (not inferring that poor people suck, it's just that school is notorious for being snobby).

The reason I liked the second is they were happy just to have me in the room and say what I have to say regardless of joining... sometimes you just have to think some poo poo outloud in front of a group of sympathetic people.

I totally get what you said about the red flag of rejecting "normals" thing... I doubt a cancer survivor group would give a poo poo if a friend of a suffering patient came in, vs the actual patient. Plus if it's anon that's an arbitrary rule to make, because not all people have been properly diagnosed and might be in a grey area.

The worst part is, I'd want to start a group if I can't find something that fits, but knowing myself it'll be one more 10% finished project and piss me off.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

It wasnt even an Anon based 12 step group... it was just an ADHD group. I found the more involved the AA group was with teen outreach the better the experience.

barfoid
Feb 18, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Lol add isnt real and giving children amphetamines is literally child abuse .

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

barfoid posted:

Something you and Charlie Sheen can agree on.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

barfoid posted:

I wish I was abused more as a child...

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

Qu Appelle posted:

I wish I was abused more as a child...

I know all that healthy screaming and blame made me the proud adult I am today.

I think our troll is just jealous of :catdrugs:

Haledjian
May 29, 2008

YOU CAN'T MOVE WITH ME IN THIS DIGITAL SPACE

fyallm posted:

No luck on the golf question huh.. oh well I have another I noticed while reading and catching up on the thread... Does anyone else while reading things on the internet (more specially threads on SA) randomly highlight / random fast click on words while reading the thread?
I do this constantly. My family makes fun of me.

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

I'm therapist shopping . . . The problems plaguing me are not strictly ADHD-related, stuff like social problems, self-esteem, that kind of thing . . . Any advice on choosing a therapist? Is it important that I find someone that says they specialize in ADHD? Do I just need an ADHD life coach? I'm just not sure how my diagnosis should play into this. I'm sure it's at least partly responsible for my issues but not entirely.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

HondaCivet posted:

I'm therapist shopping . . . The problems plaguing me are not strictly ADHD-related, stuff like social problems, self-esteem, that kind of thing . . . Any advice on choosing a therapist? Is it important that I find someone that says they specialize in ADHD? Do I just need an ADHD life coach? I'm just not sure how my diagnosis should play into this. I'm sure it's at least partly responsible for my issues but not entirely.

I have found no way to tell one psych from another without actually meeting with them. Problems show up on top of what the psych can do, too. For example, I may be shopping for a new psych after only one meeting because I keep having to reschedule the second meeting, all due to her loving horrible ability to take patients according to their scheduled time. Twice now I've had to reschedule because I show up on time and there are 2 people ahead of me.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I really have personally found that it's luck of the draw. In my neck of the woods the advise I would give is avoid therapists with MSWs but on the other hand Psychologists with PsyDs seem to be better than those with PhDs.

But just like anything else, it sort of comes down to how you get along with a person once they reach a certain level of competence. How rare that level is itself may vary greatly from place to place.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

HondaCivet posted:

Pick one that has been able to keep a practice going more than 7 years. You can't run a sustainable practice if you aren't actually helping people. Can you afford a life coach? If I could I would.

I think you'll find that as you address the voice inside your head that keeps kicking you for not getting anything done, your anxiety, social problems and what not will tend to clear itself up- or you'll have the capacity to evaluate things without kicking yourself.

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

TheBigBad posted:

Pick one that has been able to keep a practice going more than 7 years. You can't run a sustainable practice if you aren't actually helping people. Can you afford a life coach? If I could I would.

This is in no way directed at you, totally at myself, but I've been saying the "can't afford" line for awhile and I've been wondering if I need to take the tact I use to buy a new _____ for a bike. If I really want it I ask "How many beers or nights out would it take to get this?"

I'm starting to realize my mental health is worth the same cutting back! :v:

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

HondaCivet posted:

There's an E/N thread about bad shrinks that can give you some examples of things to look out for. :v:

Honestly though, everyone else has be right on the money, you won't know til you go. This can be a hurdle, as you're taking a bit of a shot in the dark about someone you will forming a strong, emotion (but always professional) bond with, but really, you'll just know or feel it after a couple of sessions. Among the criteria to look for I'd say include your ADHD in your specific criteria, especially insofar as they believe that it is a valid diagnosis for adults.

Sub Rosa posted:

I really have personally found that it's luck of the draw. In my neck of the woods the advise I would give is avoid therapists with MSWs but on the other hand Psychologists with PsyDs seem to be better than those with PhDs.

But just like anything else, it sort of comes down to how you get along with a person once they reach a certain level of competence. How rare that level is itself may vary greatly from place to place.

Not attacking Sub Rosa here, but this is a good example of how things vary wildly by area. I saw an LCSW (Licensed Clinical Social Worker) during my last semester at a major university. I cannot speak more highly of her for bending the rules to see me weekly and thus, helping me not fail out that semester. She, also, was the first one to really hammer me about how my issues where probably ADHD related more than anything else. (If only I wasn't so pigheaded 2-3 years ago...)

Which also leads to qualifications, words like "therapist" or "counselor" aren't, for the most part, protected words like "engineer" and "psychologist" are. As you go shopping, see what the therapists use in their advertising and billing. "Psychologist" implies a doctorate (PhD or PsyD) and "LCSW" would have a Master's and both must be licensed by your state's board. When in doubt, write down all the abbreviations and see which ones are given by a licensing board and how respectable that board is.

And now I've got a question about :catdrugs:. So I've been keeping up with them for almost 3 months now and things have been going swimmingly. Thing is, I've noticed some stomach and digestive issues (beyond the fun reduced appetite), is this relatively normal for stims or is it just me?

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

BirdOfPlay posted:

And now I've got a question about :catdrugs:. So I've been keeping up with them for almost 3 months now and things have been going swimmingly. Thing is, I've noticed some stomach and digestive issues (beyond the fun reduced appetite), is this relatively normal for stims or is it just me?

I forgot which stim you're on, but Dexedrine gave me such unrelenting heartburn (that prescription strength Prilosec couldn't even touch) that I had to drop it as a med. But that's the only stim which I found with that side effect.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Interstitial Abs posted:

This is in no way directed at you, totally at myself, but I've been saying the "can't afford" line for awhile and I've been wondering if I need to take the tact I use to buy a new _____ for a bike. If I really want it I ask "How many beers or nights out would it take to get this?"

I'm starting to realize my mental health is worth the same cutting back! :v:

Again this may vary by area but where I go because of some grants I think they can't stop seeing me because I don't pay my bill. They also can't report my nonpayment to credit reporting agencies or sell to a debt collector due to confidentiality and disclosure laws. They never actually presented me with a bill ever. I think they really just keep track because having a number helps in writing grants which is where they get their actual funding.

I don't think this is something widely publicized, and it may be difficult to figure out if that is how a place operates from the outside, but it does go to show that inability to pay can be a faulty excuse in not seeking help.

BirdOfPlay
Feb 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Qu Appelle posted:

I forgot which stim you're on, but Dexedrine gave me such unrelenting heartburn (that prescription strength Prilosec couldn't even touch) that I had to drop it as a med. But that's the only stim which I found with that side effect.

It's Adderall XR. It might be just a mind thing or just showing me how bad I am at staying hydrated for all I know. Granted, I do have minor issues normally, so who knows? Maybe it's something that I should bring up with the shrink next time I see him.

Sub Rosa posted:

I don't think this is something widely publicized, and it may be difficult to figure out if that is how a place operates from the outside, but it does go to show that inability to pay can be a faulty excuse in not seeking help.

Huh, I think that's kinda similar to how the clinic I go to is run. They've always been supportive of me paying but would have never started me from going on with my appointment just because I didn't pay, and I'd say there have been at least three instances in which I didn't have the money for it. They just add it to the next sessions bill.

This might, in fact, be the way that a lot of sliding scale clinics work.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Status report, going off vyvanse for a week after being on it for a month sucks, that is all

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

signalnoise posted:

Status report, going off vyvanse for a week after being on it for a month sucks, that is all

I bet. :smith: Is it just your ADD funtimes coming back and being annoying or are you getting some withdrawal symptoms too? I took a few days off after trying Adderall for a month and I was SO. TIRED.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

HondaCivet posted:

I bet. :smith: Is it just your ADD funtimes coming back and being annoying or are you getting some withdrawal symptoms too? I took a few days off after trying Adderall for a month and I was SO. TIRED.

I'm incredibly tired, I can't focus, I have a shitload to do this week, I have an assignment due monday, and an exam on monday too. If I don't get my poo poo tomorrow I'm going to have a bad time.

Authentic You
Mar 4, 2007

Listen now this is your
captain calling:
Your captain is dead.

signalnoise posted:

Same story with me and having a lapse in my Concerta. I just felt lazy and stoned the whole time and got nothing done. I definitely like productive, awake me better.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

How was day 1 off though? Was that reaction immediate or did it get worse after a couple of days? Because I get to the end of the month and have spare Vyvanse but don't remember forgetting taking it.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Yeah even with one day off it's pretty drat apparent.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Appointment at 10, arrive at 9:45. Pay copay at 10. Doctor takes a different patient back at 10:15. gently caress this place. I feel like my medication is being held hostage.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I didn't realize just how difficult it is dealing with psychs that manage ADD meds because I've been going to the same doc for like 8 years, but I have a friend with a recent diagnosis and it took her like a month to find a doctor that could even see her, and he's booked out 4 months in advance. And they booked her next appointment with the wrong doctor, so she has to wait until november to be seen.

Also re: skipping meds

When I was a kid I would forget to take my ritalin at least once a month usually. Within an hour of getting to school, I'd have my classmates and teacher telling me that I forgot to take it, which I would usually deny until I got home and my mom would tell me the same. I never noticed it, but everybody else could!

Interstitial Abs
Jul 11, 2008

signalnoise posted:

I'm incredibly tired, I can't focus, I have a shitload to do this week, I have an assignment due monday, and an exam on monday too. If I don't get my poo poo tomorrow I'm going to have a bad time.

Can you ask for an extension on the assignment at least? Is it for school or work?

You don't have to go into details with whomever but just say "there is a medical issue that is making it difficult to complete this on time".

Which brings up the point: How many of you have had your ADD documented either at school or work? I know it falls under Americans w/ Disabilities Act, so at least there's that. It'd be a sticky case to argue a slip in productivity due to something like this, but it would give a tiny layer of protection from being arbitrarily fired.

Right now I'm an ind. contractor but if and when I get hired as a salaried teacher I will probably get ADD documented and report it to HR and my direct superior (to the degree they need to know about it) to get some accommodations (like recording the audio of a meeting on laptop, copy of the power point, etc).

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

It's for school. Work is easy, all i gotta do is show up and then show up my coworkers. My job isn't hard, at least not to me. School requires me to schedule time to work for myself, which is the hardest thing to do. Once I get started it's still easy, i just never start. The bigger problem i actually have for school is that my eyes are highly contrast sensitive, and reading for extended periods of time or with small fonts on high contrast paper is loving impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I didn't realize just how difficult it is dealing with psychs that manage ADD meds because I've been going to the same doc for like 8 years, but I have a friend with a recent diagnosis and it took her like a month to find a doctor that could even see her, and he's booked out 4 months in advance. And they booked her next appointment with the wrong doctor, so she has to wait until november to be seen.

There is a crisis level shortage of psychiatrists. The only psychiatrist in my (fairly populated) county got his MD in 1959.