Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Tried it in firefox and it just spins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Firefox and Chrome both have problems where they don't support TLS 1.1 and the TLS 1.0 method seems to be mangled. If you use IE and turn off TLS 1.0 support then the site seems to load just fine.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
Got an SSL-related error too, not using a MikroTik router right now.

BaconBeast
Aug 18, 2006
I'll take the hundy pounder and fries, thanks.
This is going to be a bit of a derail, but I'm looking at helping setup a small hotspot system for a sailing club/marina.

I'm looking to use a system that processes payments but allows the club to issue free tickets for some members and have control. I'll need 3 or 4 boxes, and am hoping to use mikrotik boxes because of the great service I've had from them.

I'm looking at something like https://www.hotspotsystem.com to manage it, dose anyone have any thoughts on a provider like this?

Weird Uncle Dave
Sep 2, 2003

I could do this all day.

Buglord
If you just need basic hot spot and payment processing functionality, Mikrotik can do that itself. Install the optional user-manager package, ideally on a separate unit (or one of the APs in a pinch), get PayPal integration and the ability to print up coupons.

The user manager package is a bit quirky (the Web interface isn't that hot, for instance) but if the budget is tight it's certainly usable.

BaconBeast
Aug 18, 2006
I'll take the hundy pounder and fries, thanks.

Weird Uncle Dave posted:

If you just need basic hot spot and payment processing functionality, Mikrotik can do that itself. Install the optional user-manager package, ideally on a separate unit (or one of the APs in a pinch), get PayPal integration and the ability to print up coupons.

The user manager package is a bit quirky (the Web interface isn't that hot, for instance) but if the budget is tight it's certainly usable.

Thanks for the suggesting, I'm trying this now, with a single RB751U-2Hnd as a proof of concept. Unfortunately the Wireless performance on this model is a bit crap but it's what I have lying around so it will have to do.

I'm pretty excited, once I got it up and running it seems like it dose 90% of what I want.

If they like it I'll also have to setup an ominitik for the marina which will be interesting.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
Anyone in here using an iPhone/iPad with iOS 6 and a Mikrotik? I'm having some puzzling DNS issues behind a RB751U 5.7 in iOS 6.0. Nothing is resolving at all, no matter normal DHCP settings or everything static and 8.8.8.8.

Just wondering if this is a known issue or if it's worth more digging.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

See if upgrading to 5.20 helps. One of my coworkers just uppped to iOS 6 but we don't have any RB751's running anything lower than 5.18.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I feel a bit silly for not keeping up with updates. That was about the least painful upgrade of anything that has ever been.

It had no effect on this problem, but I need to check this iPhone against other access points tomorrow before I waste any more time on this. I was just wondering if there was a quick "yeah this Apple DNS poo poo is broken" or "no I have an iPhone 5 right here that loves my Mikrotik." It's impossible to find any useful info on iOS 6 networking issues thanks to Apple's awesome work yesterday of breaking every single iOS device's wifi for half a day right when 6.0 was released.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Can you give me an example of something that isn't working for you? I've got an RB751U setup with 5.20 f/w running b/g/n and wpa2. It's fresh out of the box and my iOS 5 phone is connecting to it just fine.

My buddy's iOS 6 phone connected up without anything notable happening.

TX297
Nov 7, 2005

IM A HUGE FAGGOT WHO STEALS BYOB AVATARS.
So I'm taking on a part-lab, part practical application on my RB751U-2HnD. Thanks to some ISP weirdness while I was setting up a PPTP tunnel I decided to factory reset it so I may as well set it back up properly now. What I'm looking to do is make 2 virtual APs and separate them from each other and the default wifi/eth combo. That isn't too bad, I had it 90% of the way there before the reset. In retrospect I think I just forgot to make routes but it's the separation and bandwidth management that daunts me a little. I'm not that well versed in advanced networking, but I assume I'll have to put the virtual APs on separate VLANs to isolate the traffic and then use the tags to manage the bandwidth, but that's where I get lost. I'm trying to meter a 15/1.5 connection to 3/.3 for each AP and reserve the rest for the default profile.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

CuddleChunks posted:

Can you give me an example of something that isn't working for you? I've got an RB751U setup with 5.20 f/w running b/g/n and wpa2. It's fresh out of the box and my iOS 5 phone is connecting to it just fine.

My buddy's iOS 6 phone connected up without anything notable happening.

DNS resolution just isn't happening at all. It works fine on wireless networks other than my Mikrotik and works fine over 3G data. This started happening immediately after updating the iPhone to iOS 6.0.

I tried a few combinations of confirming the DNS being fed through DHCP looked normal, changing DHCP to send 8.8.8.8, using a static IP on the device and setting the DNS to the Mikrotik's IP, and using a static IP and 8.8.8.8 on the device. In all cases, I can ping 4.2.2.2 but google.com never resolves.

I'm thinking this is going to be over my head. I tried wiping the iPhone's network settings totally but am not eager to wipe the entire iPhone. I will have to nab another iOS 6 device and give that a shot behind the Mikrotik, I suppose.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

ManicJason - turn off all your other machines and fire up the packet sniffer on your mikrotik. Try and go to a page on your phone, wait for it go fail and then see what packets got sent. That may help reveal what is going on here. Weirrrdddd.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I upgraded an iPad to 6.0 as well and have identical symptoms.

When I turn on packet sniffer and ping google.com, absolutely no traffic at all goes to or from the broken iOS devices. Everything looks normal when I ping 4.2.2.2.

edit: I went ahead and reset all of the Mikrotik's settings, and things are fine. If anyone's dreadfully curious, here's the broken config. All of the weird tunneling stuff should be disabled. The only other oddness I noticed was that I was setting the Mikrotik's IP on the wireless and ether2 interfaces separately but to the same IP instead of their shared bridge. :shrug:

ManicJason fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Sep 22, 2012

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

What IP address do your iOS devices get from the mikrotik? After you clear the wireless profile and reconnect does it pick up an IP and show up properly in the DHCP server's list of leases?

Oh, and try turning off 802.11n support. Set the wireless to only use 802.11g (assuming you have all modern wifi devices and no legacy b clients lingering). Sometimes the n-support in Mikrotik is really fussy.

CuddleChunks fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Sep 23, 2012

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

Resetting the Mikrotik config and starting from scratch solved the problems.

I was getting 192.168.1.150 from DHCP, which was in the normal range and showed up under leases. N is still on after I reset the Mikrotik to defaults and the problem went away, so I doubt that was it.

If I recall correctly, I didn't use the magic default configuration when I set the router up a year ago, so I may have done something technically wrong that was corrected when I reset it to defaults today. :iiam:

movax
Aug 30, 2008

What's the current word on UPnP? I've always had it off in the past, due to :supaburn: security :supaburn:, but I've turned it on at a few locations to allow Xboxes and etc. to work properly.

Replaced an ancient ipcop machine at my parents' place with a RB750GL, and I turned on UPnP to let things like Dish DVRs work properly, and hey, it's also more convenient for my laptop and torrent client to happily find its own port to use.

OK to leave on and enabled, or is it a horrid security risk I should close immediately?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
I leave it on at work and home.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

I don't think there's anything to worry about in a home setting. If you were at a hotspot or a public network then you'd want to lock that down.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
I don't know how the MikroTik daemon works, but some daemons will allow port mappings to be made by one host for another host, or for ports < 1024. This could allow a node on your network to expose another node from behind the firewall, depending on your firewall's configuration. Something like miniupnpd has options to mitigate this.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
NAT isn't supposed to be a firewall :(

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

NOTinuyasha posted:

NAT isn't supposed to be a firewall :(

No, but the upnp daemon may take it upon itself to open a hole in the firewall as well as create a NAT mapping to make sure traffic flows through.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Does anyone know how difficult it may be to configure a commercial VPN service with a MikroTik? I've been experimenting with various VPN services on my current router (Linksys WRT54GL w/TomatoUSB :cripes:) but I'm experiencing the same download speed issues regardless of the VPN service I choose. I'm starting to believe that this router just can't handle the load required to download any large files while it's connected to a VPN. I've been meaning to buy RB751G-2HnD for a while now, but I don't know if it's going to have the same issue or not.

Has anyone configured a commercial VPN with the RB751G-2HnD and can attest to its file download performance while it's connected to the VPN? How complicated would it be to configure this in the RouterOS? Or would I achieve better VPN performance with something like the RB2011UAS-2HnD-IN?

PUBLIC TOILET fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 30, 2012

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

COCKMOUTH.GIF posted:

Has anyone configured a commercial VPN with the RB751G-2HnD and can attest to its file download performance while it's connected to the VPN? How complicated would it be to configure this in the RouterOS? Or would I achieve better VPN performance with something like the RB2011UAS-2HnD-IN?

I can't comment on commercial VPN providers, but I did recently setup a VPN with a 750GL (same CPU as the 751G) on one end and an RB2011 on the other. With both units in my lab basement I was able to push about 17mbps over an IPSEC + GRE setup with AES-128 encryption. The 750GL was the limiting factor as the CPU was pegged at 100% and the CPU in the RB2011 was hovering at around 70% so it would probably max out in the mid 20s. The RB2011 can be overclocked so you might be able to get 30-something mbps if you crank up the CPU speed.

Of course, if you want to use 3DES or AES-256 encryption the throughput would be lower than this due to additional CPU overhead.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

The_Franz posted:

I can't comment on commercial VPN providers, but I did recently setup a VPN with a 750GL (same CPU as the 751G) on one end and an RB2011 on the other. With both units in my lab basement I was able to push about 17mbps over an IPSEC + GRE setup with AES-128 encryption. The 750GL was the limiting factor as the CPU was pegged at 100% and the CPU in the RB2011 was hovering at around 70% so it would probably max out in the mid 20s. The RB2011 can be overclocked so you might be able to get 30-something mbps if you crank up the CPU speed.

Of course, if you want to use 3DES or AES-256 encryption the throughput would be lower than this due to additional CPU overhead.

Wow. That's pretty impressive. I'm looking at the CPU usage in TomatoUSB now when I'm downloading a file through the VPN. I'm hitting 100% on average every minute and around 60% every five minutes.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Obviously your high usage requires you to be an early adopter of the CCR.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad
I am getting sick of flaky home routers. My current one overheats when I try and stream movies.

I was looking at this as a possible solution, but the 2.4 ghz spectrum is saturated where I am and I was hoping to go with a 5 ghz device. It seems like the only 5 ghz parts they have are outdoor/ruggedized. Am I missing a 751G equivalent with 5 ghz wireless-N?

Trying to decide between something like this and just rolling the dice on another linksys box that may or may not be terrible.

edit: to be clear, I was looking at the pre-built stuff. If I have to build it, I guess I could...

KS fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Oct 1, 2012

TX297
Nov 7, 2005

IM A HUGE FAGGOT WHO STEALS BYOB AVATARS.

COCKMOUTH.GIF posted:

Does anyone know how difficult it may be to configure a commercial VPN service with a MikroTik? I've been experimenting with various VPN services on my current router (Linksys WRT54GL w/TomatoUSB :cripes:) but I'm experiencing the same download speed issues regardless of the VPN service I choose. I'm starting to believe that this router just can't handle the load required to download any large files while it's connected to a VPN. I've been meaning to buy RB751G-2HnD for a while now, but I don't know if it's going to have the same issue or not.

I own a RB751U-2HnD and run a PPP tunnel to my preferred commercial VPN server on a 15M connection without experiencing any noticeable slowdown compared to running the VPN client on my PC, or compared to my non-tunneled connection for that matter. You can add the connection in the Mikrotik, apply to a single internal IP or range, then just switch it on and off in RouterOS as you need. I had a WRT54G 3.1 running DD-WRT that I'd tried to get to run it (I think using OpenVPN) before and it wasn't nearly as robust (for obvious reasons).

Edit: Let me run a couple speedtests & a large file download test for you.
Edit2: 18.28 down, 1.55 up, ping 14ms. I started to download an Ubuntu liveCD, it got about 700KB down, dipping down to 500 and spiking to 800+. 83MB downloaded in 2min.

TX297 fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Oct 1, 2012

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Why not add some speed holes and/or a fan if overheating is the only problem? AFAIK 5ghz is going to have problems with range as soon as you go through solid objects, it may not be an improvement depending on your building. And you are going to have devices that simply do not have a 5ghz radio as an option so you'll still need a 2.4 ghz ap sitting around.

You could get something like this with whatever combination of three radio cards and antennas that you want but it's pricey.

frayed time
Oct 20, 2008
I'm looking into putting a device in for vpn purposes. Need about 120 users in the database only expecting 30 simultaneous users at any time. This is over estimated by fifty percent.

Would a MikroTik be appropriate for this situation? If so, which model?

Would prefer to setup an ipsec vpn.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

It would probably be a poor fit. There's no crypto accelerator chip on the Routerboard line that MikroTiks run on. IPSEC VPNs are an option to setup but they are much more hassle than other types. Managing the database of users is clumsy as poo poo compared to centralized databases that you get with other gear.

Frankly, a Sonicwall NSA 2400 is likely a much better fit despite its hefty price tag. I'm assuming they need to move a few megabits of data each for their tunnels. The Sonicwall line, or whatever other security appliance you choose, is going to make this task much less stressful for you and your users.

Now, if you wanted to *route* some serious data and didn't want to pay Cisco prices, then the Mikrotik 1100AH would be a sweet fit for you. Vroom vroom!

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
The RB1100AHx2 supposedly has IPSEC acceleration but I haven't seen IPSEC benchmarks or documentation beyond one line on the brochure so who knows how much it does. Also everything CuddleChunks said.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
I think RB1200 does as well, both for AES-128 only(?) I think. Documentation and confirmation seems to be hard to come by. If you need cheap crap to fit your needs, there's some embeded Cyrix (I think) x86 CPU that has built in crypto. Not remembering its exact name/model/etc though.

Edit: v just suggesting if he has no budget which is my assumption since he's looking at Mikrotik.

falz fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Oct 4, 2012

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
If you're building something that thirty users will be relying on at a time, you shouldn't be looking at embedded crap.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

thebigcow posted:

The RB1100AHx2 supposedly has IPSEC acceleration but I haven't seen IPSEC benchmarks or documentation beyond one line on the brochure so who knows how much it does. Also everything CuddleChunks said.

Mikrotik says 800Mbps, although they don't say what kind of encryption they used. Probably AES-128, but who knows.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

Also, you should look at Juniper's SA SSLVN appliances. They're the best VPN devices I've experienced and have given the best user experience since you can do all sorts of fancy stuff and don't have to launch a traditional VPN client if you don't want to. Licensing can get expensive but it should be per concurrent user.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

I'm beginning to think there are some very odd issues between Apple OSs and RouterOS. Since I wiped all of my Mikrotik's settings and started over to resolve the mysterious iOS 6.0 issue, my OSX 10.7 box has started committing wifi suicide about once an hour. The OS still thinks the connection is fine, but I cannot as much as ping the AP. It never auto-recovers in sitting for 30 minutes or so; I didn't test beyond that.

I think I'm going to have to buy a non-Mikrotik AP since I do development work on Apple devices, and this is getting downright painful. :(

edit: After checking in the logs, it looks like I'm having this problem.

ManicJason fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 5, 2012

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Man that's weird. Let's try and setup a basic connection for testing. Sorry for the hassle here but you'll need to do two things: Open a terminal window and run my little script to setup a new wifi security profile and then you'll need to change your wifi over to use that. I'd recommend changing the name of the wireless network so you can go back to the old system smoothly.

Open Winbox and log into your router
Click New Terminal on the left
right-click on the terminal and paste the following:
code:
/int wir security-profiles add name="WPA-test" authentication-types=wpa-psk \
     unicast-ciphers=tkip mode=dynamic-keys group-ciphers=tkip \
     wpa-pre-shared-key="homewireless"
This will set your router up with a security profile called WPA-test and a WPA key of "homewireless" (without the quotes). By choosing a new SSID at the same time that you make this update your old security information will hang around and it will be easier to swap back to that if this doesn't get you working.

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
CuddleChunks, does your company use any SXTs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falz
Jan 29, 2005

We used a few and switched to more directional Mikrotik antennas. They're fine for a shorter point to point link (we could get 70mbps fdx on a ~1km link) Depending on what you're looking for, look at Ubiquiti instead. What are you trying to do?