Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

hellfaucet posted:

The picture skews his size a little, but yeah those are 6.5 gallon carboys, and I do call him "Big Boy."

Oh god. You found this thread. It's pretty great to hear (see?) your enthusiasm, beyond a Facebook picture. Too bad I don't live in Chicago anymore so we could exchange brews or touch dicks or something. (btw, I'm "DrNeato")

My beer news: The Nobel IPA... thing... is pretty f'n tasty. I do really love an IPA w/o the tree sap. It's got a bag of river rocks and hops floating in it for my first attempt at dry hopping. Cream ale is getting nicely plowed through, pretty sure a 7 month old child has that effect on parents. Planning on bottling the rest and adding my mint to only about a dozen bottles - not that I don't like mint, but I think the flavors of this cream ale and the mint are going to taste like anus.

Bigdee4933 posted:

Yesterday I racked the Tropical Sour into the rum barrel. It is a berliner base fermented with Lacto. 4 days later pitched in brett and added 6lbs of peaches. 2 months later it's going into the rum barrel with 1/2 gallon pineapple juice and 1/2 gallon papya juice.

Cpt.Wacky posted:

I had last week off so I made some progress on a few brewing projects.

My mead yeast trial is entering the aging phase now.

These two things are exactly the kind of stuff I love about homebrewing and want to high five you dudes. Which reminds me, I've got 2 gallons of brett table beer to bottle - both are parti gyle brews of previously stated mashes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

How many volumes of co2 do I want for a good head without making a bombs? 2.5?

Is this an American Brown ale?

Is this ounces of weight or ounces of volume?

LaserWash fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Sep 25, 2012

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
None of the numbers on that list should give you bombs.

The head depends on a lot more than just the amount of CO2 present.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
Is that ounces of weight or ounces in volume?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

No brewing at the moment due to economic reasons, however I am making a loaf of bread and an 8 pack of homemade hamburger buns with yeast washed from the trub of a blonde ale.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

LaserWash posted:

Is that ounces of weight or ounces in volume?

Weight; you can't really measure a granular solid accurately by volume.

Jacobey000
Jul 17, 2005

We will be cruising at a speed of 55mph swiftly away from the twisted wreckage of my shattered life!

withak posted:

Weight; you can't really measure a granular solid accurately by volume.

I'm just laughing at the prospect of someone measuring sugar by water displacement.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006

Jacobey000 posted:

I'm just laughing at the prospect of someone measuring sugar by water displacement.

Ha, that sounded stupid, but you never know ...

You guys have been a big help. Thanks for everything. I'll be giving a report in a week or two.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
Can anyone recommend a good brewing app for iOS?

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

iBrewMaster is pretty good.

The only issue I have with it is that it helpfully alerts you when it's time to do various things with your beer like dry hopping, transferring to a secondary, or bottling/kegging. This would be nice except that as far as I can tell there's no way to turn it the gently caress off. I was playing around with the app when I first got it and now it thinks I've brewed half a dozen beers and keeps telling me it's time to do various things. Except I didn't brew any of those beers I was just trying to figure out what every option did and now it won't leave me alone.

e: Ok it's buried in the options but you can turn off notifications. I am however still stuck with a bunch of poo poo in the schedule window that I can't remove.

e2: Found it. You have to remove it from the batch view. That's really loving intuitive.

Galler fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 25, 2012

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Galler posted:

iBrewMaster is pretty good.
Has anyone used the Android version of this? Is it any good?

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Doesn't help right this moment, but BeerSmith is coming out with iOS and Android versions in the next few months. Initially just allowing viewing your saved recipes and use of calculators/tools, but eventually full recipe creation.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Toebone posted:

Can anyone recommend a good brewing app for iOS?

Brewpal brewpal brewpal

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Bigdee4933 posted:

Yesterday I racked the Tropical Sour into the rum barrel. It is a berliner base fermented with Lacto. 4 days later pitched in brett and added 6lbs of peaches. 2 months later it's going into the rum barrel with 1/2 gallon pineapple juice and 1/2 gallon papya juice.

This sounds amazingly cool, but be careful with the papaya juice. Papaya has an enzyme - papainase - that wrecks the gently caress out of beer proteins. From what I've read, it can potentially destroy head retention and body like crazy. It's not a given, but if something like that occurs, it's likely caused by the papaya.

I just finished bottling up my golden oatmeal mild, and am cooling down my "black Matilda" brew. Goose Island gave me a bit of the Orval yeast, so I'm interested in seeing how it performs on a homebrew level.

Also, if any of you are considering ordering custom caps from Bottlemark.com, they're loving boss:

"HB" stands for Highbrau Brewing, the "brand" I use for my homebrews. The design was done by a friend of mine for his portfolio, and all the stuff he did for it turned out great. :)

RocketMermaid fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Sep 25, 2012

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Ubik posted:

Also, if any of you are considering ordering custom caps from Bottlemark.com, they're loving boss:

Good to know, I was looking at those last night.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
Anyone ever order hops from https://www.labelpeelers.com? They're accepting pre-orders for some 2012 varieties, which sounds like it may take some of the hassle out of ordering them next month, but their site looks pretty lovely so I'm not sure how much to trust them.

LaserWash
Jun 28, 2006
Bottled today. That took a lot longer than I thought it was going to, but then again, if I had someone there to help, it would probably go twice as fast.

Also, I learned that there are some non-twist off bottles that don't cap with a bottle capper. I had a few bottles from Peroni, Hofbrau, and Paulaner (I think) that I found wouldn't crimp around the head of the bottle. I will have to throw this bottles in recyling. :uggh: I guess it's a good thing that I had lots of spares on hand. I tried the uncarbed sample and it was already delicious (NB Caribou Slobber), so I can't imagine what this is going to taste like in 1-2 weeks.

Now I'm going to start thinking about my second brew. My experience now tells me that I should be shopping with AHS and not NB.

AHS shoppers, what kind of extract ale kits do you like? I'm thinking of doing something along the line of a pale ale with a little bit of hops (but not explosive, it makes my head hurt) or a Kölsch or Hefeweizen.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Has anyone here brewed with saffron before? I'm thinking of doing a triple for the holidays, and making a saffron tincture or tea to be added at kegging.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

LaserWash posted:

Bottled today. That took a lot longer than I thought it was going to, but then again, if I had someone there to help, it would probably go twice as fast.

Three is ideal. One preps bottles, one fills, one moves bottles away from the "filled" dropoff spot, caps, and dunks in water to clean any beer off the outside of the bottle. Four is even better if you want to get them dried and labeled in a hurry. Two is fine, but fill the bottle tree ahead of time.

Also, on the note about bad bottles for capping: avoid Bass Ale! The bottles say Bass on them in script at the shoulder. They are a tiny bit too big-lipped to cap.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
Bottle trees with the sanitizer injector really help with bottling if you don't have one already. I have my bucket on the edge of the counter with a 2" section of tubing connecting the spigot to the stiff bottling wand and big bowl underneath to catch drips. This helps when you to the bottom of the bucket because you fill with one hand while using the other to tip the bucket forward.

Bottle tree to the right full of sanitized bottles. Grab a bottle from the tree on the right, fill it up and set it on the counter to the left. After I get 6-12 filled I switch to the capper. I'm using the wing capper right now but I'd like to upgrade to the bench top capper since it seems like it would be faster not having to line up the capper just right.

Does anyone use marbles to top up stuff in the carboy when bulk aging? MoreBeer has them for $5/pound but I found one seller on Amazon that offers them for about $2/pound. It looks like 1 pound displaces about a quart of liquid.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Splizwarf posted:

Three is ideal. One preps bottles, one fills, one moves bottles away from the "filled" dropoff spot, caps, and dunks in water to clean any beer off the outside of the bottle. Four is even better if you want to get them dried and labeled in a hurry. Two is fine, but fill the bottle tree ahead of time.

Also, on the note about bad bottles for capping: avoid Bass Ale! The bottles say Bass on them in script at the shoulder. They are a tiny bit too big-lipped to cap.

Thanks for the heads up. I've got a Bass Ale bottle that I'll pitch.

My new nuclear-grade burner came in, so I'm definitely on track to get some brewing done. I think I'll try the ice bath approach to keep the temperature in check. You were right about the WL yeast; it needs things to be a bit colder than I could otherwise provide. Water bath it is!

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
If you use ice, remember you'll eventually have to remove some water. If you use ice packs, take care not to lose them under the bucket if you lift it, you'll never catch them again without removing the bucket completely. Keep a couple big towels in the room all the time just in case.

Are you planning to come down to bottle this Sunday? 30 gallons of beer, no waiting. Plus you'll be able to take your half of the White House cases home with you (to explain where you've been :v:).

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Toebone posted:

Has anyone here brewed with saffron before? I'm thinking of doing a triple for the holidays, and making a saffron tincture or tea to be added at kegging.

Is it real saffron? That stuff is super expensive in the hundreds per ounce I believe.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
English bottles have a different rim size. Some wing cappers have crimpy parts that can be taken off and reversed to let you bottle with English bottles if you really want to. Not sure about bench cappers.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Splizwarf posted:

If you use ice, remember you'll eventually have to remove some water. If you use ice packs, take care not to lose them under the bucket if you lift it, you'll never catch them again without removing the bucket completely. Keep a couple big towels in the room all the time just in case.

Are you planning to come down to bottle this Sunday? 30 gallons of beer, no waiting. Plus you'll be able to take your half of the White House cases home with you (to explain where you've been :v:).

drat, it really has been two weeks hasn't it? Yeah, I should be able to make it. I don't think I have anything going on. Same time as before?

I take it you're not planning on racking anything secondary then?

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

drat, it really has been two weeks hasn't it? Yeah, I should be able to make it. I don't think I have anything going on. Same time as before?

I take it you're not planning on racking anything secondary then?

Yep, around 9 will be good.

We can rack over the White House ones if you want, but the only benefit will likely be clearer beer. How about this: is this Sunday (30th) or two weeks from now (Oct 13th) better for you to come bottle? If the 13th is better, we'll bottle then; racking to secondary is fairly mundane and I can take care of it myself. Personally, I want to drink it. :cheers:

The others beers are either not getting secondaries or will be finished their secondary time (chocolate and the saison).

zedprime posted:

English bottles have a different rim size. Some wing cappers have crimpy parts that can be taken off and reversed to let you bottle with English bottles if you really want to. Not sure about bench cappers.

No kidding? I have to see if mine does this. Do the same caps work?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Does anyone use marbles to top up stuff in the carboy when bulk aging? MoreBeer has them for $5/pound but I found one seller on Amazon that offers them for about $2/pound. It looks like 1 pound displaces about a quart of liquid.

If they sink, 1 pound displaces less than a pint of liquid. :science:

I never thought of doing that though. If you want cheap, I'd suggest the rounded stones or glass beads they sell for vase fillers, gardening, that sort of thing. Ideally something safe for aquarium use, though as long as it's not lead crystal or anything it should be safe enough for even bulk aging times.

Toebone posted:

I made a Midas Touch clone once. I probably should have used more saffron, there wasn't anything recognizable of it, but then I think I added at flameout.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Splizwarf posted:

Yep, around 9 will be good.

We can rack over the White House ones if you want, but the only benefit will likely be clearer beer. How about this: is this Sunday (30th) or two weeks from now (Oct 13th) better for you to come bottle? If the 13th is better, we'll bottle then; racking to secondary is fairly mundane and I can take care of it myself. Personally, I want to drink it. :cheers:

The others beers are either not getting secondaries or will be finished their secondary time (chocolate and the saison).

Let me ask my better half tonight. She may already have plans for me. I seriously want to get a taste of that saison.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Killer robot posted:

If they sink, 1 pound displaces less than a pint of liquid. :science:

I never thought of doing that though. If you want cheap, I'd suggest the rounded stones or glass beads they sell for vase fillers, gardening, that sort of thing. Ideally something safe for aquarium use, though as long as it's not lead crystal or anything it should be safe enough for even bulk aging times.

My mistake, MB says 3 lbs displaces 1 quart. I like my chances of sanitizing glass better than rocks and fitting marbles into a carboy vs rocks. The place on Amazon is actually selling them as vase filler but you have to order 24 lbs worth.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Ubik posted:

I never knew of these guys, looks affordable! Thanks!

.. and before i even finished posting this i've ordered two batches of caps. thanks.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Any tips for sweetening a beer? I have an oatmeal stout that is a lot dryer than what I wanted. Would it be a good idea to boil some lactose in some water and dump it in to the fermenter?

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Splizwarf posted:

No kidding? I have to see if mine does this. Do the same caps work?
No, you use the 29mm replacement crimping bell on a wing capper with 29mm caps.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

internet celebrity posted:

Any tips for sweetening a beer? I have an oatmeal stout that is a lot dryer than what I wanted. Would it be a good idea to boil some lactose in some water and dump it in to the fermenter?

I used lactose for a sweet stout and it worked pretty well.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Midorka posted:

Is it real saffron? That stuff is super expensive in the hundreds per ounce I believe.

The Chinese grocery store near me has decent sized bags for the same price as those little plastic cups at the supermarket. You don't need much to get a lot of flavor, but I figure the tea/tincture will give me the most bang for my buck.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Docjowles posted:

Doesn't help right this moment, but BeerSmith is coming out with iOS and Android versions in the next few months. Initially just allowing viewing your saved recipes and use of calculators/tools, but eventually full recipe creation.

This is really what I personally need. I do my recipes on BeerSmith, print them out and just use a big awesome kitchen timer for additions and mash, etc.
I have a lot of hope for the timers in the upcoming BeerSmith apps.

Currently, by best solution for timers that tell me what I should be doing is this one:
http://www.hoppedale.com/brewerytimer

Which rules, except that then I need to bring my laptop out to brew with me too, and I already have so much poo poo going on with a brewday that I rarely bother.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Hypnolobster posted:

This is really what I personally need. I do my recipes on BeerSmith, print them out and just use a big awesome kitchen timer for additions and mash, etc.
I have a lot of hope for the timers in the upcoming BeerSmith apps.

Brad actually just posted a preview of the 1.0 mobile functionality, if you're curious. Sounds like it will fit the bill nicely! Not having to print out my brewsheet will be great (my printer is a piece of poo poo).

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Oh wow, that looks perfect. I'm excited about that.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony
Last night, I created my first yeast starter, with a stir plate, no less.

I spilled a little bit of the yeast on the transfer to the flask (slap pack plopped unexpectedly), so I'm a little worried.

The mixture is thick and cloudy tonight, but there isn't a ton of white on the bottom. More shows up if I turn the stirrer off. Can I assume the white will show up if I leave the stirrer off?

Will it all settle right if I turn it off in the morning and put it in the fridge to decant? I'm hoping to brew my Bourbon Barrel Porter tomorrow evening.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

BDawg posted:

I spilled a little bit of the yeast on the transfer to the flask (slap pack plopped unexpectedly), so I'm a little worried.

The mixture is thick and cloudy tonight, but there isn't a ton of white on the bottom. More shows up if I turn the stirrer off. Can I assume the white will show up if I leave the stirrer off?

Will it all settle right if I turn it off in the morning and put it in the fridge to decant? I'm hoping to brew my Bourbon Barrel Porter tomorrow evening.

Don't worry

Yep, it's all in suspension, it'll drop out if you turn off the stirrer and:

Yep, it'll drop out much more with a drop in temperature. It's a good idea to decant it off an hour or so before pitching and then let the remaining yeast come up to room temp before you pitch it into 65-70 degree wort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cointelprofessional
Jul 2, 2007
Carrots: Make me an offer.

Toebone posted:

The Chinese grocery store near me has decent sized bags for the same price as those little plastic cups at the supermarket. You don't need much to get a lot of flavor, but I figure the tea/tincture will give me the most bang for my buck.

I used it for a Midas Touch Clone as well. I used 25 threads in place of hops. It added a nice perfume aroma and tainted the color slightly. I added them at flame out.