Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Slifter posted:

It does come up for those observing Kashrut and the whole no mixing of milk and meat.

Coconut milk isn't milk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Coconut milk isn't milk.

That's why I didn't substitute out the coconut milk.

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
I picked up some turkey breasts yesterday that said use/freeze by today's date (9/23). I was going to cook one last night, after freezing the other, so I put it in the fridge to marinate for a few hours. However, plans changed, so now it's been in there over night and was planning on cooking it tonight for dinner.

Given it's been cold over night, it should be fine, right? This is my first experience with nonground turkey and it's all.. pale now. I'm sure it is, but I just needed the reaffirmation that it won't give me food poisoning.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Lullabee posted:

I picked up some turkey breasts yesterday that said use/freeze by today's date (9/23). I was going to cook one last night, after freezing the other, so I put it in the fridge to marinate for a few hours. However, plans changed, so now it's been in there over night and was planning on cooking it tonight for dinner.

Given it's been cold over night, it should be fine, right? This is my first experience with nonground turkey and it's all.. pale now. I'm sure it is, but I just needed the reaffirmation that it won't give me food poisoning.

I'm assuming it's pale because your marinade is acidic and it is actually denaturing the proteins, resulting in something similar to what happens when you cook with heat. (This is why people say acid "cooks" fish in ceviche) Because of this, and assuming your marinade is sufficiently salty, it should be fine, but do a smell test before you cook it.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Turkey will smell very, very bad when it goes off, and that marinade should have helped a lot.

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!
I decided to get my burg on and make some simple homemade burger patties consisting of:

1.5 lbs ground beef
1 tbs onion powder
1 tbs garlic powder
1 large egg
1 squirt of bbq sauce

So mixed them up and what not, made the patties, but after only a few minutes on the BBQ it started to break apart and I had to rescue it from falling through the grill and finish it on the stove. What should I do to fix the rest of the patties?

DeliciousDarkness
Apr 29, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I live in the Philly Pa area which, as locals know, has a proliferation of the glorious Wawa chain of convenience stores. I'm kind of enthralled with their meatballs in a cup; standard large and juicy Italian meatballs in a chunky tomato sauce. It tastes so goddamn good but I want to be able to replicate it at home with meat that I can be reasonably sure hasn't been factory farmed. I googled for recipes or even ingredient lists but alas, only nutrition info came up. Anyone worked at a wawa? Or have been able to reverse engineer the recipe? It's so delicious but relatively Expensive, I know I can make it even better, perhaps with your help, dear goons.

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

Ez posted:

I decided to get my burg on and make some simple homemade burger patties consisting of:

1.5 lbs ground beef
1 tbs onion powder
1 tbs garlic powder
1 large egg
1 squirt of bbq sauce

So mixed them up and what not, made the patties, but after only a few minutes on the BBQ it started to break apart and I had to rescue it from falling through the grill and finish it on the stove. What should I do to fix the rest of the patties?

What was the fat percentage of your beef? I've only ever seen this problem when using excessively lean beef, you don't want any leaner than 80/20 really.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Ez posted:

1.5 lbs ground beef
1 tbs onion powder
1 tbs garlic powder
1 large egg
1 squirt of bbq sauce

Lose the egg and the sauce. A lot of people think of burgs the wrong way. They are not grilled meat loaves. They are deconstructed steaks. A few herbs or spices mixed in is fine. Never salt mixed in. (See http://mobile.aht.seriouseats.com/archives/2009/12/the-burger-lab-salting-ground-beef.html). Also fuss with it less when it's on the grill. It will stick at first but it will release itself. I don't think it has anything to do with fat ratio. 80/20 is a perfectly good ratio for a medium well burg. I like 90/10 for a midrare.

Edit. Derp. Misread your burgfat words. I've still never had a problem with lean beef burgs. You just can't cook them too much. The hotter you take the internal the more fat melts out.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Sep 25, 2012

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Lex Kramer posted:

Thank you!

Thanks I will try this. The reason I'm trying to make panang curry vegan is because I keep kosher (so yeah I skipped the shrimp paste as well). I will try this recipe you recommend thank you.

p much yeah.

Um, isn't fish pareve? So if you use coconut milk, fish sauce, spices and herbs plus whatever veggies you cook in it shouldn't the panaeng curry be pareve as well? I mean the shrimp paste is a no-brainer, but fish and fish sauce I always thought was planted solid in the safe territory.

Show Me A Chicken
May 6, 2007
I'll show you a geek.

Sjurygg posted:

Um, isn't fish pareve? So if you use coconut milk, fish sauce, spices and herbs plus whatever veggies you cook in it shouldn't the panaeng curry be pareve as well? I mean the shrimp paste is a no-brainer, but fish and fish sauce I always thought was planted solid in the safe territory.

It depends on what kind of fish. Only fish with fins and scales are considered kosher, and not every fish sauce lists every kind of fish that went into it, so it may not be kosher just because it's not absolutely, identifiably kosher.

So, I just made what I thought was a jar of salsa verde, but it was my first time making it and I forgot the onions and did not roast the tomatillos. As a result, it definitely does not taste like any salsa verde I have ever had. It's chopped up now, and tomorrow I'm going to get an onion and put it in, but is there anything I can do to save it? Would putting it in a pot and cooking it just totally gently caress it up? Right now it's just tomatillos, lime juice, jalapenos, and some cilantro.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Coconut milk isn't milk.

They do look like big hairy bosoms so maybe

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Show Me A Chicken posted:

So, I just made what I thought was a jar of salsa verde

It won't be as good, but you could rescue it. Cook the onion first, then just warm the sauce a bit to combine. Finish it with more fresh lime juice and cilantro after it cools a bit.

Re: Southeast asian curry and kosher diet laws:

If you want to be restricted by the dietary laws of a 2000-year-old band of nearly illiterate goat herders, then restrict yourself to the diet of a 2000-year-old band of nearly illiterate goat herders. Make your own garum from scratch. you don't get to buy commercial nước mắm. Nobody in Vietnam gives a poo poo.

I just don't get this BS. It's like when Jews hire people to flip light switches or turn the oven on for them on Saturdays. Or seeing Mennonites with tractors but no dental care. Seeing millions of so-called "Christans" that eat bacon but discriminate against gay folks because of Leviticus.

When you start splitting hairs like that...when you approach the altar with a lawyer...I just don't understand how you can still be entranced at all by these conjurers and their mummery.

quote:

MISHNAH 4. IF THERE WAS A DOUBT WHETHER ANY WORK HAS BEEN DONE WITH
THE WATER OR NOT,18 OR WHETHER THE WATER CONTAINS THE REQUISITE
QUANTITY OR NOT, OR WHETHER IT IS UNCLEAN19 OR CLEAN, THEN WHERE THERE
IS SUCH A DOUBT THE WATER IS CONSIDERED TO BE CLEAN. BECAUSE THEY20 HAVE
SAID IN A CASE OF DOUBT CONCERNING HANDS AS TO WHETHER THEY HAVE
BECOME UNCLEAN OR HAVE CONVEYED UNCLEANNESS OR HAVE BECOME CLEAN,
THEY ARE CONSIDERED TO BE CLEAN. R. JOSE SAYS: IN A CASE [OF DOUBT AS TO]
WHETHER THEY HAVE BECOME CLEAN THEY ARE CONSIDERED TO BE UNCLEAN.
HOW SO? IF HIS HANDS WERE CLEAN AND THERE WERE TWO UNCLEAN LOAVES
BEFORE HIM AND THERE WAS A DOUBT WHETHER HE TOUCHED THEM OR NOT;21 OR
IF HIS HANDS WERE UNCLEAN AND THERE WERE TWO CLEAN LOAVES22 BEFORE
HIM AND THERE WAS A DOUBT WHETHER HE TOUCHED THEM OR NOT; OR IF ONE OF
HIS HANDS WAS UNCLEAN AND THE OTHER CLEAN AND THERE WERE TWO CLEAN
LOAVES22 BEFORE HIM AND HE TOUCHED ONE OF THEM AND THERE WAS A DOUBT
WHETHER HE TOUCHED IT WITH THE UNCLEAN HAND OR WITH THE CLEAN HAND;
OR IF HIS HANDS WERE CLEAN AND THERE WERE TWO LOAVES BEFORE HIM ONE OF
WHICH WAS UNCLEAN AND THE OTHER CLEAN AND HE TOUCHED ONE OF THEM
AND THERE WAS A DOUBT WHETHER HE TOUCHED THE UNCLEAN ONE OR THE
CLEAN ONE; OR IF ONE OF HIS HANDS WAS UNCLEAN AND THE OTHER CLEAN AND
THERE WERE TWO LOAVES BEFORE HIM ONE OF WHICH WAS UNCLEAN AND THE
OTHER CLEAN, AND HE TOUCHED BOTH OF THEM, AND THERE IS A DOUBT
WHETHER THE UNCLEAN HAND TOUCHED THE UNCLEAN LOAF OR WHETHER THE
CLEAN HAND TOUCHED THE CLEAN LOAF OR WHETHER THE CLEAN HAND
TOUCHED THE UNCLEAN LOAF OR WHETHER THE UNCLEAN HAND TOUCHED THE
CLEAN LOAF, THE HANDS REMAIN IN THE SAME STATE AS THEY WERE BEFORE AND
THE LOAVES REMAIN IN THE SAME STATE AS THEY WERE BEFORE.

Jesus christ, Moses, shut the gently caress up and pass the god damned toast.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Fish sauce is made with anchovies so there's no reason you have to omit it. If you insist on being a super paranoid stickler, get a premium fish sauce like Red Boat which only specifically uses a certain type of anchovy from the Phu Quoc region.

http://redboatfishsauce.com/

You can find it on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Red-Boat-Fish-Sauce-40%C2%B0N/dp/B004M050W2

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'
Can anyone recommend a healthy recipe using turkey which can be cooked in a slow cooker?

Thanks!

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Have you heard of salsa chicken?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

mich posted:

Fish sauce is made with anchovies so there's no reason you have to omit it.
Fish sauce is frequently---I daresay typically---made with anchovies. But it's by no means a universal rule. And a lot of the other things that are used---squid and shellfish aren't uncommon---are treif. So if you actually give a poo poo about keeping kosher (beyond the `eh, no bacon on Pesach' level) it absolutely makes sense to worry about something like fish sauce.

pr0k posted:

When you start splitting hairs like that...when you approach the altar with a lawyer...I just don't understand how you can still be entranced at all by these conjurers and their mummery.
So you're cool with religious dietary laws, as long as nobody takes them seriously?

I mean for the record I don't subscribe to any dietary laws. Not even the five second rule. But if you're going to buy into the belief that divinely-decreed dietary laws matter at all, I don't see how you can criticise someone for not half-assing it.

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
If a fish sauce contains seafood other than anchovies it is not good fish sauce which is why I linked a specific brand that is very high quality. Even the non super premium brands I use only say anchovies on the ingredients.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

SubG posted:

So you're cool with religious dietary laws, as long as nobody takes them seriously?
No I think religion is retarded. But I'm trying a new approach - I'm being all Socratic and poo poo. Almost everything I posted ended with a question mark, eh?

quote:

I mean for the record I don't subscribe to any dietary laws. Not even the five second rule. But if you're going to buy into the belief that divinely-decreed dietary laws matter at all, I don't see how you can criticise someone for not half-assing it.

I wasn't criticizing them for not half-assing it. I'm saying that trying to decide what kind of fish sauce to buy is half-assing it. You want to be kosher - you have to have a rabbi selecting the fish, or at the very least have a rabbi in a cubicle in the plant pretending to inspect the work which is what you probably get from a star-k certification. But I'm not saying that. I'm asking questions. gently caress you and your hemlock.

Show Me A Chicken
May 6, 2007
I'll show you a geek.

pr0k posted:

No I think religion is retarded. But I'm trying a new approach - I'm being all Socratic and poo poo. Almost everything I posted ended with a question mark, eh?

I wasn't criticizing them for not half-assing it. I'm saying that trying to decide what kind of fish sauce to buy is half-assing it. You want to be kosher - you have to have a rabbi selecting the fish, or at the very least have a rabbi in a cubicle in the plant pretending to inspect the work which is what you probably get from a star-k certification. But I'm not saying that. I'm asking questions. gently caress you and your hemlock.

Different sects of Judaism have difference levels of observance, which correspond with different beliefs about the theological importance of the laws of kashrut--some groups believe that the laws should be followed precisely as they were 3,000 years ago because the law is inviolate, some groups believe that the laws were given in order to guide the Jews through progress and that ways of following the laws need to be updated as the world changes, and some groups put less emphasis on rabbinical oversight and more on personal effort. A lot of Jews see the laws of kashrut as more of a cultural marker than a religious one, and will make an effort to avoid anything blatantly nonkosher in its essence (i.e. pork, cheeseburgers, shrimp) but not fuss over whether, say, beef has been koshered or not. And many see them as totally unnecessary. The extent to which any Jew from any sect follows the laws of kashrut will depend on how they see the function of those laws.

Thanks for the salsa help, by the way. It still didn't turn out great, but it's better. Oddly sweet. By the way, has anyone ever seen used purple tomatillos? There was one in my basket of tomatillos, and I'm unsure whether its presence was what lent a sweet taste to the salsa or whether I used too much cilantro. I thought tomatillos were supposed to be very tart. I honestly can't imagine how I hosed up making salsa this badly.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
I know, I'm being a dick again.

Pretty sure that was a plum. I'm kidding. I never heard of a purple tomatillo but google says they're sweet. Try rebalancing the salsa with a little more salt and/or acid (a little at a time.)

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Some tomatillos will get purple when they become fully ripe. This also effects sweetness.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Recently started watching the Sopranos, and there's this pastry that keeps showing up

Right there, center bottom. Anyone know its name?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I don't think any TV show ever made me as hungry as The Sopranos and that includes cooking shows.

Does anyone have some good beef stew variations? I usually just do beef/guinness and various veg in the stew. Sometimes use red wine instead of beer. I'd maybe do goulash but don't have much paprika at the moment.

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

fatherdog posted:

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

Ah, molte grazie!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

mich posted:

If a fish sauce contains seafood other than anchovies it is not good fish sauce [...].
False. Fish sauce is a whole genre of sauces produced by different cultures for different applications. Anchovies are probably the most common ingredient, but their presence is neither obligatory nor is it an indication of quality. There are, for example, any number of regional specialty fish sauces from Korea and Japan made from local seafood that are more `upscale' than any bottle of fish sauce the average consumer, who gets their fish sauce from the Mysteries of the Orient aisle of the Piggly Wiggly, is likely to ever see.

pr0k posted:

I wasn't criticizing them for not half-assing it. I'm saying that trying to decide what kind of fish sauce to buy is half-assing it. You want to be kosher - you have to have a rabbi selecting the fish, or at the very least have a rabbi in a cubicle in the plant pretending to inspect the work which is what you probably get from a star-k certification.
This isn't even wrong, but I'm not going to argue with you because I don't want to argue for any dietary laws. But you're just waving a poorly constructed strawman of kashruth around here---like if someone was complaining about GWS because we're all bacon meatship ramen lol up in here.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
Even being an atheist, I'm having trouble understanding why you have a problem with someone trying to mesh their culture and upbringing with an increasing availability and knowledge of the various cuisines of the world. Just tell them about fish sauce if that's what they want to know about.

Religious dietary laws in a food forum is probably the least effective place to argue against religion when there are plenty of actual terrible things happening in the world because of religion. This is a place for food, bashing religion and culture does nothing to make this a better place for food.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Religious toleration is a pretty controversial topic but I want to bring up an even more controversial topic: chocolate chip cookie recipes.

Specifically, does anyone have any favorite vegan ones? I've googled it and found some good candidates but of course it would be more ideal if goons have some on hand that they've tried and enjoyed personally.

mich
Feb 28, 2003

SubG posted:

False. Fish sauce is a whole genre of sauces produced by different cultures for different applications. Anchovies are probably the most common ingredient, but their presence is neither obligatory nor is it an indication of quality. There are, for example, any number of regional specialty fish sauces from Korea and Japan made from local seafood that are more `upscale' than any bottle of fish sauce the average consumer, who gets their fish sauce from the Mysteries of the Orient aisle of the Piggly Wiggly, is likely to ever see.

He was talking about a thai curry so I was talking specifically of Thai/Vietnamese fish sauces. There are certainly other fish sauces that wouldn't work for being kosher so yeah, I should have clarified further, but in general if he's looking for a Thai/Viet fish sauce to make a Thai curry, it should be anchovies only if it's a decent brand. This does remind me that there are shrimp and fish pastes used in Vietnamese cooking that some brands end up labeling as "fish sauce" though, even though it's actually a shrimp or fish paste, so that's another thing he should avoid.

whooping crane
Feb 12, 2012
I'm looking to make a better guacamole. I usually use avocado (duh), lime, cilantro, onion, garlic, and salt, but want to mix things up. I've seen some recipes with cayenne, cumin, and serranos (even yogurt), but I wanted to see what kind of suggestions I would get here, so lemme have em. Also, I refuse to put tomatoes in my guacamole.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yes, chiles. Mix em up even, go with whatever your tolerance level is. Cumin would be good too.

NiVRaM88
May 19, 2009

whooping crane posted:

I'm looking to make a better guacamole. I usually use avocado (duh), lime, cilantro, onion, garlic, and salt, but want to mix things up. I've seen some recipes with cayenne, cumin, and serranos (even yogurt), but I wanted to see what kind of suggestions I would get here, so lemme have em. Also, I refuse to put tomatoes in my guacamole.

Call me crazy but once I put a small amount of chipotle (in adobo sauce) in my guac and enjoyed the twist. Also get a molcajete if you haven't already.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
I ALWAYS put cumin in guacamole. Such a fantastic flavor.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

whooping crane posted:

Also, I refuse to put tomatoes in my guacamole.

Why's that? I like tomatoes in guacamole.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Cue ONETRUEGUAC argument :P

I like a bit of tomato, not too much, seeded, diced fine. Serranos and shallots, brunoise, fresh ground cumin, pepper, a lot of salt, fresh lime, minced cilantro. Epazote is sometimes fun, don't go overboard with it though. Don't mash the avo too much.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Sep 26, 2012

whooping crane
Feb 12, 2012
Thanks everyone! I'll try out some small batches with combinations of cayenne, cumin, serranos, adobo sauce, and shallots (vs. white onions); unfortunately I'm in a small mid-west town right now so they won't have any epazote, but I can get that when I go back home (SATX). Any more suggestions are welcome; the more unexpected, the better. I think I'll also try some scallions in batches, and something in me wants to try some mashed banana in there...

Scientastic posted:

Why's that? I like tomatoes in guacamole.

The other ingredients usually overpower the taste of fresh tomatoes. More importantly, the tomato is usually the bulkiest thing in guacamole, and interrupts the otherwise sensual act of moving around guacamole in your mouth, provided you've cut up everything else as fine as it should be.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Don't use onions, use shallots. The flavour is much more subtle, in my opinion. I tend to keep guac super duper basic simple.

2 hass avocados, peeled and seeded
3 shallots, minced
1 lime, zested and juiced
1/2 tsp kosher salt

And then I stop right there. Sometimes, when you're adding all kind of stuff, you start to lose the avocado, which then becomes more of a backdrop of creamy rather than a flavour that comes through. Try the very simple basic version, see if it appeals, and then have other stuff with the other things in it on the side.

I was in Otovalo, Ecuador at this restaurant that did a bunch of awesome food. They had a dish where they'd serve you a huge mound of very simply made guac, into which they speared sticks of boiled new potatoes and slices of fresh tomato. It was such a simple dish, but it totally bowled me over with how delicious it was. I could taste the potato's flavour, as well as that of the avocado, and the tomato.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
This is going to sound a little douchey, since it's a "deconstruction", but I've had some pretty rave reviews of my un-assembled guac.
I roast a whole bulb of garlic.
Take a really ripe avocado, halve it, and slice up the meat but leave it in the skin and lay it out on the plate.
Squeeze out the mushy, roasted garlic cloves into that hollow middle part where the stone was. Use a little frosting bag if you want it to look really pretty
Sprinkle with diced onion (and tomato, but I can see this turning into a Chili Beans debate).
Drizzle it with olive oil, lime juice.
Sprinkle with coarse (sea/kosher) salt.

I guess if you didn't have a super ripe avocado you could perforate the fruit and mush it up a little.

^^
edit: Really, none of you guys use garlic in your guacamole?
vv

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Smashed avocados, roasted chiles (jalapenos usually), onion, lots of cilantro, lots of lime juice, salt. Thats it.