Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Moey posted:

I was actually going to test that today on a smaller cluster. Are you doing a new install or upgrading? If upgrading, from what?

Clean install of 5.1, SSO and inventory services work fine, vCenter just gets installer interrupted every time. It is also incompatible with view and SQL 2012, some of the commands in 2012 have been dropped so use 2008 r2 for sql tasks

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Sep 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Corvettefisher posted:

Clean install of 5.1, SSO and inventory services work fine, vCenter just gets installer interrupted every time. It is also incompatible with view and SQL 2012, some of the commands in 2012 have been dropped so use 2008 r2 for sql tasks

What OS are you installing vCenter on?

Also vCenter 5.1 (none of the vCenter versions) are supported with SQL 2012. Any reason you are screwing around with it?

New-ShitPost
Jul 25, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

So apparently Apple's 10.8.2 update breaks VirtualBox on Mac laptops.

Good thing I'm still on Lion at work :smug:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4311118?start=0&tstart=0

quote:

VirtualBox is a low-level system modification. If you're going to use such things, you cannot install system updates from Apple until you know that the modifications are compatible, or until they're updated to be compatible.

Whatever you say, Level 8 Apple forum user :allears:

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online
Here's my day so far:

Upgrade Deep Security, deploy two new Deep Security Virtual Appliances over top of the old ones. Everything goes smooth, great!

Begin patching the 2 clusters in the vmware environment. First host does okay. Second host blows up with a problem I encountered before where iSCSI shits itself and can't see any LUNs. Proceed to follow the fix I used the last time from VMware's KB. Doesn't work. My boss takes notice that I'm about to murder someone from frustration and I go off on him about how we need to stop using these lovely vendor customized ESXi images. He apparently doesn't see the logic in my arguments and tells me to call IBM support. IBM support has no idea who we are, can't find a customer number, can't find the serial numbers of the server we have, so I email the vendor we bought this stuff from. The guy that handles our account is out of the office and won't be back till Monday. No one else has any clue what the customer number is. I should also mentioned I called VMware for support on this same issue but on a different server on Wednesday and even they had no clue what the hell was going on, even with 4 engineers and a senior one on the phone.

:argh:

edit:

OH loving HELL.

The EMC VNXe 3300 did this poo poo. It changes the IQN to all lowercase. ESXi was trying to login using an IQN with uppercase characters, the EMC was expecting lowercase, and thus rejected the IQN as a valid name.

gently caress you EMC.

Goon Matchmaker fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Sep 21, 2012

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Moey posted:

What OS are you installing vCenter on?

Also vCenter 5.1 (none of the vCenter versions) are supported with SQL 2012. Any reason you are screwing around with it?

Server 2012 standard edition.

I wanted to see why it wasn't working in the backend, so if a customer asks me "Hey why doesn't X work" I am able to give them a Oh well it isn't supported and commands X Y Z no longer exist in 2012.

It isn't really that important because I strongly believe 5.1 is the last vcenter for windows, before vCenter is just a VA

compwhizii posted:

Whatever you say, Level 8 Apple forum user :allears:

Wow I really should have put your name together faster...

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 21, 2012

three
Aug 9, 2007

i fantasize about ndamukong suh licking my doodoo hole
The VCSA is garbage, so I doubt the Windows install will be gone that soon.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Corvettefisher posted:

Server 2012 standard edition.

I wanted to see why it wasn't working in the backend, so if a customer asks me "Hey why doesn't X work" I am able to give them a Oh well it isn't supported and commands X Y Z no longer exist in 2012.

It isn't really that important because I strongly believe 5.1 is the last vcenter for windows, before vCenter is just a VA

That makes sense. I personally wouldn't waste my time trying to dig down to that level of why it doesn't work. I don't work with clients, all internal, so I fall under a different category.

Why are you thinking they will replace vCenter the virtual appliance after this?

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

three posted:

The VCSA is garbage, so I doubt the Windows install will be gone that soon.

It's working okay for me, but then again I can't get AD integration to work but it's in my lab environment so I don't care too much.

I really hate the webgui. Building it as a flash app was just dumb.

Moey posted:

Why are you thinking they will replace vCenter the virtual appliance after this?

I believe VMware has stated that they fully intend to discontinue supporting vCenter on Windows.

Goon Matchmaker fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 21, 2012

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Moey posted:

Why should a customer have to buy a few Windows licenses and MS SQL license on top of vmware, and seeing how MS's hyper-v is following them I doubt they want to give them any business.
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1733674/vmware-suse-linux

Seeing how VMware bought suse, linux I am sure they are going to ramp it up a bit in 6.0 and try to tailor off the MS dependencies. My guess is VMware is going to be a lot more OS neutral and administration via web interface supports this theory. I really think they are trying hard to share the windows dependencies.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Sep 21, 2012

three
Aug 9, 2007

Well, they've already basically killed the Windows client (new features are web client only), so I imagine the Windows server will go soon. They'd need to spend the next year fixing the VCSA as it exists now, though.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Yeah but look at what they could do with the web client from 5.0 to 5.1 I am sure they will do something. I know the use of PostGRE will turn some heads.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Corvettefisher posted:

Seeing how VMware bought suse, linux
Are you getting your news from The Register rumors circa 2010? SUSE is owned by Attachmate. They licensed SLES for all their customers.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

VMware's done a lot lately with Postgres, like vFabric for example. I really hope they ditch the need to use an external database that costs a fuckton for vCenter, get VUM working in the appliance and basically let me ditch the only windows server in my whole company that I have no other need for.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Misogynist posted:

Are you getting your news from The Register rumors circa 2010? SUSE is owned by Attachmate. They licensed SLES for all their customers.

It was my impression they had acquired a large portion of that company. I take it I am wrong.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Interesting note of the day: vCenter 5.1 SSO does not like to be installed into a named SQL instance! :science:

Also drat them for making me install SSO to begin with. My environment is too small :(.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

So apparently Apple's 10.8.2 update breaks VirtualBox on Mac laptops.

Good thing I'm still on Lion at work :smug:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4311118?start=0&tstart=0

Apparently a working hotfix is out for VirtualBox (link stolen from HackerNews).

e: Explanation of the bug from Vagrant author if you really want to geek out.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Sep 21, 2012

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Apple doing fuckall regression testing? Incredible!!!

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

evil_bunnY posted:

Apple doing fuckall regression testing? Incredible!!!
Why would they need to test third party apps? All you need are apple products. I'm just surprised they didn't just announce and release something named iVirtualBox today.

Kachunkachunk
Jun 6, 2011

Mierdaan posted:

What qualifies as a "sustained period" to you? I have iSCSI datastores with DAVG/cmd regularly spiking to >100ms for periods of a few seconds (with some rarer spikes up to 200-400ms), but because there's no errors in vmkernel.log VMware support doesn't view this as a problem. Latency on the array is pretty sane, 5-15ms all the time.

Am I being paranoid?
What kind of storage is it? High driver latency isn't really a problem VMware an fix if it wanted to, anyway; at that point the I/O has already been put out to the HBA/firmware/device and you're waiting on completion.
Right there you might have DAVG/cmd but you MAY need to break it down by DAVG/read or write and see if it's one or the other.
Assess what times of day it occurs, what LUNs, and from what hosts. See if a particular VM or workload does it.

The contention experienced may not even be internal on your array, but on a switch (slow drain problems sounds like a possibility). Buffers and cache are there to regulate spikes, but if you have a particularly long burst of load, a buffer or cache somewhere is probably being exhausted and inducing your latency.

Maybe adjust your performance measurements for 1s intervals as well.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

adorai posted:

Why would they need to test third party apps? All you need are apple products. I'm just surprised they didn't just announce and release something named iVirtualBox today.
They broke a public kernal API.

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Those who have taken the VCP5 exam, were there a lot of limits questions on it like "what is the max number of VMs per host etc?"

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
There's always a few, but they'll tend to be the ones you actually should have memorized and not "Max number of xHCI USB controllers per VM" or anything.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

Mierdaan posted:

There's always a few, but they'll tend to be the ones you actually should have memorized and not "Max number of xHCI USB controllers per VM" or anything.

When I took the VCP410 I got asked arcane crap like "What's on this tab" for some obscure dialog boxes you never use. There were questions about various command line utilities and the arguments they took. It was nothing like I expected to be on it and my study guide was useless.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Goon Matchmaker posted:

When I took the VCP410 I got asked arcane crap like "What's on this tab" for some obscure dialog boxes you never use. There were questions about various command line utilities and the arguments they took. It was nothing like I expected to be on it and my study guide was useless.

Yeah, that first part is still a problem. They do love asking what information can be found on a random tab or screen.

As for the CLI stuff, I will say that's not really a problem anymore.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug

Kachunkachunk posted:

What kind of storage is it? High driver latency isn't really a problem VMware an fix if it wanted to, anyway; at that point the I/O has already been put out to the HBA/firmware/device and you're waiting on completion.
Right there you might have DAVG/cmd but you MAY need to break it down by DAVG/read or write and see if it's one or the other.
Assess what times of day it occurs, what LUNs, and from what hosts. See if a particular VM or workload does it.

The contention experienced may not even be internal on your array, but on a switch (slow drain problems sounds like a possibility). Buffers and cache are there to regulate spikes, but if you have a particularly long burst of load, a buffer or cache somewhere is probably being exhausted and inducing your latency.

Maybe adjust your performance measurements for 1s intervals as well.

Thanks for the reply. It's iSCSI Compellent storage on a gigE network, very underutilized (sub-200 IOPS during business hours, <5Mbit normal traffic, etc). The latency spikes are pretty consistent across all hosts and datastores, and it can be read/writes both.

I liked the switch idea, since that's by far the fuzziest part of all this for me. Dug into the command line a bit and did discover some output drops on the interfaces in question. No signs of any other problems (no fragmentation due to mismatched MTUs, no CRC errors, no input errors, no MAC flapping). Time to get Cisco involved and see what their recommendation is.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Sylink posted:

Those who have taken the VCP5 exam, were there a lot of limits questions on it like "what is the max number of VMs per host etc?"

Maybe a few, but nothing like the VCP410 test. I got mostly situational and what product does X, one or two command line questions

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

Ok cool, I have a guide with all kinds of maximums on it and I was like who gives a poo poo about these because really I can look them up on the off chance I have a need to install 50 floppy drives.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Yeah, don't worry too much about it. The instructor in the Fast Track course I went to estimated 10% of the questions are config maximums, and I'd say that's too high by half.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
If nothing else, study the maximums for Network connections per host.

Anyone else playing around with the web client? Gotta say I do like it just wish it wasn't flash and VUM could be accessed.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Sep 24, 2012

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE
I am running ESXi 4.1 on a ghetto whitebox (Gigabyte 890fxa with an AMD T1050 I think) and I want to add some more storage. Can anyone recommend a budget PCI/PCIe SATA expansion card with ~4 ports that will be supported by VMware?

I don't need RAID functionality, and performance is not a factor really, I just need a controller that can be picked up by ESXi so I can add some more drives to my file server. Not a problem if the card is 2SATA + 2eSATA - I am already using eSATA-SATA cables from the onboard ports without any issues.

I am hoping for something in the £30 range rather than the £200 range but I am not sure if that is going to be viable - obviously most people need hardware RAID to work for their purposes so I am struggling to find much info on the internet about support for the cheap cards.

Any recommendations/pointers?

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

Corvettefisher posted:

If nothing else, study the maximums for Network connections per host.

Anyone else playing around with the web client? Gotta say I do like it just wish it wasn't flash and VUM could be accessed.

I have been playing around with it. I stopped using it and went back to the native client since it doesn't do very well over RDP connections.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

kyojin posted:

I am running ESXi 4.1 on a ghetto whitebox (Gigabyte 890fxa with an AMD T1050 I think) and I want to add some more storage. Can anyone recommend a budget PCI/PCIe SATA expansion card with ~4 ports that will be supported by VMware?

I don't need RAID functionality, and performance is not a factor really, I just need a controller that can be picked up by ESXi so I can add some more drives to my file server. Not a problem if the card is 2SATA + 2eSATA - I am already using eSATA-SATA cables from the onboard ports without any issues.

I am hoping for something in the £30 range rather than the £200 range but I am not sure if that is going to be viable - obviously most people need hardware RAID to work for their purposes so I am struggling to find much info on the internet about support for the cheap cards.

Any recommendations/pointers?
If storage is all you need why not run a VM on your desktop doing an Iscsi/NFS share?
http://www.openfiler.com/
just fire up player throw in some virtual disk, bridge the adapter, and attach it to the esxi box.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Today's fun: I logged in and realized vCenter was down. Apparently the vCenter database swelling to double the size after the 5.1 upgrade, past the SQL Server 2005 Express license limit making the vCenter server kill itself.

Wait, didn't 5.1 install SQL Server 2008 Express? Why yes it did, but you have to migrate the data yourself apparently (I missed this step in the upgrade). So, a migrate later, change the DSN, realize that management studio isn't available, fire up vCenter again, uninstall 2005.

Now update manager won't start. Oh yeah, that needs a new DSN, pop that in. Wait, still not working? Huh? Oh yeah, you need to create a 32 bit DSN instead of the normal 64, didn't you read the documentation?

VUM is at least running but not being able to download patches. Of course, finding logs means generating a 500MB large zip "log bundle" and grepping through since VUM doesn't use Windows built-in event logging, and adding a utility like tail -f never occurred to anyone (or telling me where the logs for the VUM server are).

How the hell do windows admins manage their daily work without drinking themselves to death is beyond me (being a unix guy). Add in a bunch of frustration due to my RDP client being a dick, I gave no fucks to go off drinking at 5pm (5 course microbrew/food pairing tasting menu).

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

luminalflux posted:

How the hell do windows admins manage their daily work without drinking themselves to death is beyond me

all those things you did are extremely common things to look at and the fact you didn't read the documentation caused all of your problems, it's not a windows or unix problem.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

One the one hand updating vCenter really should take care of that poo poo, on the other hand... Read the goddamn doc :argh:

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Can not stress that enough really. Especially with 5.1, I dunno about you all but it feels kinda rushed, and the whole "incompatible/unsupported" with view is just bad on so many levels. Feels like they were just trying to go HAHA WE DID IT BEFORE HYPER V 2012!

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
Speaking of remotefx. We spun up a virtual session host and installed remotefx on the hyperv node then tried to add a remotefx adapter to the session host. The video card in the hyperv node is supported but we still can't get the vm to start with the remotefx adapter. Anyone here use remotefx and have any idea?

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

Corvettefisher posted:

If storage is all you need why not run a VM on your desktop doing an Iscsi/NFS share?
http://www.openfiler.com/
just fire up player throw in some virtual disk, bridge the adapter, and attach it to the esxi box.

I'm not sure if I understand this - surely this would mean I have to have the desktop machine on at all times to access the storage? kinda defeats the point of having a file server if so, but like I say I might have missed something important.

As it happens, I am actually passing the local drives through as RDM direct to the fileserver VM on the ESXi server so they are NTFS straight to disk - just makes life easier if something happens to the server and I need to get to the data - so this would not be ideal for me anyway.

Like I said, I think this issue might be quite unique to me and my wacky setup - I will probably just buy some cheap controller and see what happens. I'll update the thread if it works in case anyone else needs to know.

three
Aug 9, 2007

Corvettefisher posted:

Can not stress that enough really. Especially with 5.1, I dunno about you all but it feels kinda rushed, and the whole "incompatible/unsupported" with view is just bad on so many levels. Feels like they were just trying to go HAHA WE DID IT BEFORE HYPER V 2012!

Every release has always been incompatible with View to start off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

kyojin posted:

I'm not sure if I understand this - surely this would mean I have to have the desktop machine on at all times to access the storage? kinda defeats the point of having a file server if so, but like I say I might have missed something important.

As it happens, I am actually passing the local drives through as RDM direct to the fileserver VM on the ESXi server so they are NTFS straight to disk - just makes life easier if something happens to the server and I need to get to the data - so this would not be ideal for me anyway.

Like I said, I think this issue might be quite unique to me and my wacky setup - I will probably just buy some cheap controller and see what happens. I'll update the thread if it works in case anyone else needs to know.

Wait, what are you doing? Sorry I was under the impression this was just some box sitting around for labs and stuff.

I am not exactly sure why you are using RDM for that exact reason, if ESXI poo poo's itself you can install it to a flash drive boot up and export the VMDK's or run them. If something happens to the storage device(s) I am not sure how much benefit doing RDM will prove to you, over a vmdk honestly. Among other things RDM's are often used for higher I/O to disk.
http://blogs.vmware.com/apps/2011/11/virtualized-exchange-storage-vmdk-or-rdm-or.html

three posted:

Every release has always been incompatible with View to start off.

good to know

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Sep 26, 2012