Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Ineffiable posted:

The most I heard when I was trying to research this without spoilers was they were supposed to be parallel universes of each other. I thought it'd be interesting in a 'what if so and so happened or something didn't happen' kind of way.

How wrong you were.

At least you seem to have read the right book first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Ineffiable posted:

The most I heard when I was trying to research this without spoilers was they were supposed to be parallel universes of each other. I thought it'd be interesting in a 'what if so and so happened or something didn't happen' kind of way.

I bought The Regulators (in hardcover) for a buck at the Humane Society thrift store. I should have just given them the dollar and walked out.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

3Romeo posted:

The ship in the earth causes massive physical changes, and that's one of the first.

As a side effect of that section, you get a lot of characterization concerning Bobbi and info about the time period (ie, conflating her opinion with the Orson Welles commercial shows that she uses sarcasm to deal with potentially dangerous problems, and you know the book takes place in the late seventies or early eighties, when Welles was a spokesman for the Paul Masson Vineyards).

I mean, yeah, King's talking about a hosed up menstrual cycle, but it's a conceit that sets the tone, sets the era, proves the ship is dangerous, and gets us in the head of Bobbi Anderson. Not a bad haul, and that's even before any symbolism you want to associate with it.

As an alcoholic King fan, Tommyknockers is my favorite book. The book deals heavily in obsession and addiction, especially how people react to them. Chapter 4 part 3 is an absolutely eerie look into the mind of an addict. Spoilers ahoy!

Anderson walks out to a piece of metal sticking out of the earth that she is certain is an alien craft. She intends to begin work digging it up. She spent the entire day prior to this telling herself that she wouldn't touch it. She believes it may be dangerous, and the last time she tried digging it resulted in her losing hours of a day in a fugue state. The thing has resulted in her having an irregular period, her dog's cataract going into active remission, and achieves its only noticeable effect via a green glow that she instantly associates with nuclear radiation. Her subconscious keeps asking her what the thing's doing to her, insisting that it's dangerous.

Yet, after that day of stalling, she finds herself climbing into a hole surrounded by dead animals in order to start digging. Her period resumes the moment she gets near the ship but, hey, that's okay; she brought a bunch of pads with her before leaving the house. When did she pack them? During the period that she was doing busywork insisting that she wouldn't go near that dangerous thing again. A voice of preservation in the back of her head screams that what she's doing is wrong and dangerous and... but, hey. You're already here, the drink's already been poured. You told yourself you were gonna get sober starting today and you wouldn't be hitting the bar, yet here you are with enough cash to get blitzed and a pocketful of quarters for the juke. "'Everything's fine,' Bobbi Anderson said in the unnatural stillness, and then she began to dig."

Mister Kingdom posted:

I bought The Regulators (in hardcover) for a buck at the Humane Society thrift store. I should have just given them the dollar and walked out.

I really don't get the hate for The Regulators. It's a big dumb book written by a guy who seems to get a kick out of writing big dumb stories. How can you not like one of the Masters of Horror writing a book where an eldritch evil from (possibly) beyond the stars wreaks havoc on the world from the constraints of the faulty body and mind of an autistic child. It wants to destroy us because it is an ancient evil, but the best it can work with is cartoon characters and literally cartoonish Western imagery.

It's a stupid book, but that's its charm. Bachman is meant to be grisly pulp, which makes the book even better when paired with Desperation. I think Regulators is a work of genius in that light.

A Terrible Person fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Sep 18, 2012

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

A Terrible Person posted:

I really don't get the hate for The Regulators. It's a big dumb book written by a guy who seems to get a kick out of writing big dumb stories. How can you not like one of the Masters of Horror writing a book where an eldritch evil from (possibly) beyond the stars wreaks havoc on the world from the constraints of the faulty body and mind of an autistic child. It wants to destroy us because it is an ancient evil, but the best it can work with is cartoon characters and literally cartoonish Western imagery.

So essentially it's "Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man: The Novel". Have I got that right?

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe
Essentially, but not quite. The antagonist can turn fantasy into reality, but only using the person its possessing.

To use your Ghostbusters analogy: imagine Rick Moranis being possessed by Vinz Clortho, except he has the summon-anything-you-can-imagine ability of Gozer instead of turning into a dog; the caveat is that he can only summon the things that Rick Moranis' character himself can imagine. Also, Moranis is a magical autistic guy for some reason and this all takes place in the suburbs. Crossing the beams involves chocolate milk and laxatives.

Actually, that's a terrible description. I still think its an interesting book, but mostly when read back-to-back with Desperation.

*edit* And I suddenly have red custom text. Weird.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Ineffiable posted:

Just started reading The Desperation.

Can anyone tell me how it's supposed to sort of tie in with The Regulators? (spoiler free) All I know is, King sort of wrote them at the same time and they're basically sister novels (but not sequels/prequels)
The only way the two directly tie in together is that the art on the original hardcovers made one picture if you sat the two books side by side. Also The Regulators is better always always.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Does anyone know of an audiobook King narrated that has some black characters? I ask because I listened to Everything's Eventual before and I was sure Droopy Dog was narrating so I'd like to hear his impression of a black person.

Lascivious Sloth
Apr 26, 2008

by sebmojo
He did some of the Dark Tower books, so I assume he did Susan, which would be hilarious when he does Detta.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

juliuspringle posted:

Does anyone know of an audiobook King narrated that has some black characters? I ask because I listened to Everything's Eventual before and I was sure Droopy Dog was narrating so I'd like to hear his impression of a black person.
This clip starts off reading as Detta.
At 12:05 you get Odetta
...which is King's normal speaking voice. :ohdear:
Detta: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs3iMhzbWDA

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

This clip starts off reading as Detta.
At 12:05 you get Odetta
...which is King's normal speaking voice. :ohdear:
Detta: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs3iMhzbWDA

That is as terrible as I hoped. Normal voice wasn't as weird as in Everything's Eventual which was weird though I kept hearing Roland as Roman, which just made me imagine "EDDIE MY COUSIN!"

Velvet Underarm
Dec 17, 2006

Guys I am a new wanna be Stephen King reader. Do you guys have any recommendations where I should start? Or should I just pick and choose?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Velvet Underarm posted:

Guys I am a new wanna be Stephen King reader. Do you guys have any recommendations where I should start? Or should I just pick and choose?

People are going to tell you different things, but I'd say to reach all the way back to the early novels like Carrie, Christine, Firestarter. Also, pick up Night Shift and/or Skeleton Crew for some short horror goodness. I love me some early King.

Local Group Bus
Jul 18, 2006

Try to suck the venom out.
'Salems lot or The Shining would be my suggestions.

Auryn
Dec 20, 2004

I highly recommend The Shining as an introduction to Stephen King.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Tommyknockers was my first SK book.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Cujo was mine. It was really jarring to go from that to his more supernatural stuff.

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

"Can we have a bit of decorum on this forum?"
Salem's Lot or The Shining. Both are excellent.

Daffodil Lament
Dec 29, 2008

Velvet Underarm posted:

IT was my first one. It's very long but so good you'll wish it were longer. If the length scares you, Carrie, The Shining, or even Bag of Bones are great starters.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Edwardian posted:

Salem's Lot or The Shining. Both are excellent.

I swear I'm the only King fan who doesn't really like The Shining. I recognize that it's one of King's better works, don't get me wrong, but I don't place it at the top of the list like most people.

I like parts of the book. The hedge maze in particular is amazing. But overall, I find myself impatient with the book. I want to get past all the boring stuff to get to the awesome parts and they're just a little too far apart.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

I swear I'm the only King fan who doesn't really like The Shining. I recognize that it's one of King's better works, don't get me wrong, but I don't place it at the top of the list like most people.

I like parts of the book. The hedge maze in particular is amazing. But overall, I find myself impatient with the book. I want to get past all the boring stuff to get to the awesome parts and they're just a little too far apart.

I feel the same way. There were a couple of parts that were sufficiently spooky (hedges, bathtub) but overall I found myself pretty bored. It wasn't bad the way, for instance, Lisey's Story is (gently caress that book, gently caress it forever) but yeah, not my favorite. Then again I may just be a philistine because I don't care much for 'Salem's Lot either and everyone seems to think those are his two best books.

Philo
Jul 18, 2007
This is no game. This is no fun. Your life is flame. Your time is come.
Finally got around to reading Under The Dome and ugh. I thought that I'd give it a chance because I feel like the concept had a lot of potential, but I should have just listened to this thread.

Aren't brain tumors one of those things that King uses a lot of in his writing? Not to the extent of magical retards an Maine, but I remember brain tumors being an important point in a couple of stories.

edit: I'd say make sure to pick up Misery if you're giving King a try.

Philo fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Sep 27, 2012

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

Philo posted:

Aren't brain tumors one of those things that King uses a lot of in his writing? Not to the extent of magical retards an Maine, but I remember brain tumors being an important point in a couple of stories.

Well, there's the entire plot of Dead Zone, for starters.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

spixxor posted:

I feel the same way. There were a couple of parts that were sufficiently spooky (hedges, bathtub) but overall I found myself pretty bored. It wasn't bad the way, for instance, Lisey's Story is (gently caress that book, gently caress it forever) but yeah, not my favorite. Then again I may just be a philistine because I don't care much for 'Salem's Lot either and everyone seems to think those are his two best books.

Oh god, high five. I thought I was the only one that was bored with a lot of 'Salem's Lot. To be fair, I Really only read it after finishing The Dark Tower, just to get some more backstory of Father Callahan, but still. I mean, it's not the worst thing I've ever read (not even the worst by King), but it was just so tedious.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ProfessorProf posted:

Speaking of early King books, The Dead Zone is pretty awesome. With the caveat that sometimes it feels more like a series of connected short stories than a proper "novel."

Philo
Jul 18, 2007
This is no game. This is no fun. Your life is flame. Your time is come.

ProfessorProf posted:

Oh man I completely forgot about that book, but that sure makes sense as to why I remember brain tumors

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Philo posted:

Dawes' son in Roadwork is said to have died of a brain tumor.

ConfusedUs posted:

I was on the edge of my seat for 85% of the book. Then came the climax and ending and I think I said to myself Is that it?

My first Stephen King was Pet Sematary. Not a terrible place to start, but I'm actually going to throw in Different Seasons. Four different novellas and starts with the classic [Rita Hayworth and] The Shawshank Redemption.

spixxor
Feb 4, 2009
I've been reading King for so long that I really can't remember what my first book was...I suspect it may have been Night Shift though, because I remember being scared shitless by that Bogeyman story and being terrified of my closet for weeks.

Kind Milkman
Sep 3, 2011

Indeed.

spixxor posted:

I've been reading King for so long that I really can't remember what my first book was...I suspect it may have been Night Shift though, because I remember being scared shitless by that Bogeyman story and being terrified of my closet for weeks.

That's the same for me. I got it at a garage sale for a quarter. Early King and Cocaine King are the best places to start out. Post van has some high points, but he really was at his best early on. Bogeyman is probably my favorite King piece, and one of my favorite short stories. Reminds me of Matheson in the best way.

Kind Milkman fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Sep 27, 2012

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Velvet Underarm posted:

Don't start with the Shining. Start with The Long Walk. Unlike the Shining, everyone loves TLW.

My favorite King book is IT, however it's over 1,000 pages. You may not want to start there. TLW is short and amazing.

some bust on that guy fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 27, 2012

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know
I couldn't give a recommendation without more info, such as do you prefer classic horror, or sci fi, etc. King has a variety of story types so that would affect any recommendation I would ever give. But in general terms, can't go wrong with the Shining or the Dead Zone. His earliest stuff is the best to start with, as others have noted.

Just stay away from Storm of the Century. Godawful in both tv and screenplay format.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

Philo posted:

The Dark Half has one of the coolest brain tumors ever.

Pheeets
Sep 17, 2004

Are ya gonna come quietly, or am I gonna have to muss ya up?

Patchwork Shaman posted:

The Dark Half has one of the coolest brain tumors ever.

I had nightmares over that one :cry:

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I've just been reading through Night Shift for the first time and was dismayed to see that Quitters, Inc is basically exactly the same as a story that I'd written. Dammit King, why must you take all the good ideas.

It's actually that which has helped me admire the economy in a lot of his short story writing. My own felt long and drawn out even though they were ostensibly the same length, he basically rushes through it and gets to a great punchline at the end.

Children of the Corn was pretty good, but holy poo poo that was an annoying couple. I love though that King fills the town in with enough details to show what has happened and has a character worry about the larger ramifications (That this guy and his wife wouldn't be the only people to pass through, countless people must've done so and why hasn't the power company noticed anything) - again all within a pretty brisk short story.

I think The Mangler is some of the worst of King. Not because it's poorly written, but because holy poo poo that thing goes off the rails very quickly.

It's a pretty good collection, but it's not as great as Skeleton Crew.

Kind Milkman
Sep 3, 2011

Indeed.

DrVenkman posted:

I think The Mangler is some of the worst of King. Not because it's poorly written, but because holy poo poo that thing goes off the rails very quickly.\

That's actually one of my favorites. King loves old EC comics, and it basically serves as a love letter to them. And the movie has Robert Englund chewing the scenery like mad.

Lord Sandwich
Nov 5, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

DrVenkman posted:

I've just been reading through Night Shift for the first time and was dismayed to see that Quitters, Inc is basically exactly the same as a story that I'd written. Dammit King, why must you take all the good ideas.

It's actually that which has helped me admire the economy in a lot of his short story writing. My own felt long and drawn out even though they were ostensibly the same length, he basically rushes through it and gets to a great punchline at the end.

Children of the Corn was pretty good, but holy poo poo that was an annoying couple. I love though that King fills the town in with enough details to show what has happened and has a character worry about the larger ramifications (That this guy and his wife wouldn't be the only people to pass through, countless people must've done so and why hasn't the power company noticed anything) - again all within a pretty brisk short story.

I think The Mangler is some of the worst of King. Not because it's poorly written, but because holy poo poo that thing goes off the rails very quickly.

It's a pretty good collection, but it's not as great as Skeleton Crew.

I loved The Mangler for the reason that I loved many of the short stories in both of those collections - it's really more a comedy/horror combination than his typical stuff. The thought of a possessed laundromat running amok at the end had me in stitches. Even the more serious ones such as The Raft tend to have a dark comedy undertone (The Mist being the notable exception). Even further down that route is The Battlefield, which is just plain fun.

Having only read a handful of SK books (Misery, IT, The Stand, and Pet Sematary) in the past, I read most of his greatest hits this summer: Carrie, Cujo, The Shining, Skeleton Crew, Night Shift, Needful Things (another example of what I thought was hilarious dark comedy), 'Salem's Lot, and 11/22/63 (since it just came out). Out of these, I'd have to say that The Shining was my overall favorite. I didn't feel any drag in it at all and thought that the buildup was wonderfully done.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I just finished reading The Jaunt again for the first time in a long time, and for some reason I totally forgot it ended in the macabre way that it did. I mean, I remember how it ended, I just forgot that his son then claws his own eyes out while screaming "Longer than you think Daddy! It's longer than you think!"

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

DrVenkman posted:

I just finished reading The Jaunt again for the first time in a long time, and for some reason I totally forgot it ended in the macabre way that it did. I mean, I remember how it ended, I just forgot that his son then claws his own eyes out while screaming "Longer than you think Daddy! It's longer than you think!"

Ironically, I had completely forgotten how long that story was, when last I read it. I was pleasantly surprised when it was longer than I thought.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

ConfusedUs posted:

Ironically, I had completely forgotten how long that story was, when last I read it. I was pleasantly surprised when it was longer than I thought.
Of course it's longer than you thought. It's eternity in there!

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
I always thought it would be neat, if they ever made a Jaunt movie, to go from "longer than you think, dad! Longer than you think!" to a completely blank, white screen, no sound, and leave it there for half a minute before letting the credits roll. 30 seconds is nothing, but in a quiet movie theater, when everybody's amped up from the previous scene and nobody's sure the movie's over, it would seem like an eternity. That would be a neat way of giving people the smallest taste of what it's like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

Velvet Underarm posted:

I actually really like Christine and Salem's Lot for intro King books. Salem's lot is a great vampire story and I one of the things I like about Christine is that it's a book NOT set in "small town Maine".

Also think that Pet Semetary is a good intro King book. The most effective books to me are those where the story spirals more and more out of control and there isn't a happy ending, or at best it's a Phyrric victory.