Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

You know there are other games that feature zombies, right? Like, an obscene amount. There's even a Wii U launch title named Zombi.

Doesn't have online play though. And for no good reason whatsoever. It HAS multiplayer but it's only local split-screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Also Zombi U is a completely different kind of game than CoD Zombies.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Hmm...

+endorsed by war criminal
-local MP only

I can see the dilemma!

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
If Oliver North being a war criminal doesn't disuade anybody, he's also on Fox News.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Mercury Crusader posted:

If Oliver North being a war criminal doesn't disuade anybody, he's also on Fox News.

If anything, Oliver North's involvement will not affect the sales of the game in either direction. The only thing that can stop Black Ops 2 from being anything short of an undeniable, record-breaking success is franchise fatigue. I'm sure plenty of goons are gonna give the game a pass (at least initially) just for that alone, but because so many people play these games, at least a few will suck it up and ignore the single player BS just to play multiplayer with their friends.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mercury Crusader posted:

Yeah well Rupert Murdoch owns IGN and Gamespy.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm pretty sure less than a percent of people purchasing BO2 even know who Oliver North was. And half those people won't even care.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Considering one of the missions in the original Black Ops was to kill Castro, you the player turned out to be the real war criminal/time criminal. :colbert:

Getting former military people to advise games is nothing new. There's a good chance that those people have done some horrible things they don't really wish to speak about either, it's just that it's less well known.

Also if you cared that much about being an upstanding moral gamer, you wouldn't be buying a Nintendo system in the first place. Especialy since the methods they aquire the materials for the components has always come under scrutiny.

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Sep 30, 2012

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
Will the Note Taking App from 3DS come back on WiiU?

I'd really appreciate that.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

fivegears4reverse posted:

If anything, Oliver North's involvement will not affect the sales of the game in either direction.

It's enough to kill my interest in the game, and I've gotten every Call of Duty this gen day 1.

I was already pretty uncomfortable with Black Ops 1 in general. It seemed to have lost it's satirical edge, and felt something approaching racist with how it portrayed the Vietnam war. And the unnecessary JFK thing really got under my skin for some reason.

Which is really annoying because I find the idea of playing CoD on a portable controller hugely appealing.

Edit: Oh I guess I misunderstood what you mean by either direction. Feh.

kater fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Sep 30, 2012

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

You know there are other games that feature zombies, right? Like, an obscene amount. There's even a Wii U launch title named Zombi.

Which I'll be getting, and hopefully is just as good as CoD Zombies.

Chronojam posted:

Well yeah, why else would you have it on the 360? :raise:

Because I'm getting it on both PC as well as the 360.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Vaerai Archon posted:

Getting former military people to advise games is nothing new. There's a good chance that those people have done some horrible things they don't really wish to speak about either, it's just that it's less well known.

Also if you cared that much about being an upstanding moral gamer, you wouldn't be buying a Nintendo system in the first place. Especialy since the methods they aquire the materials for the components has always come under scrutiny.

"Conflict Minerals." Nintendo has also claimed basically no responsibility when pressed about the issue. They just go "It's not us, it's the manufacturer!" Your Nintendo consoles are made with blood. This is something that is widely known and appears on gaming sites from time to time. Doesn't really affect Nintendo's sales, and actively doing this today is a lot worse than asking an ex-criminal some questions about a conflict for realism.

quote:

I'm pretty sure less than a percent of people purchasing BO2 even know who Oliver North was. And half those people won't even care.
Half? The people who are advertising North as the one terrible reason you shouldn't get BO2 have decided long ago that they are not getting BO2, due to franchise fatigue. Everyone else is going "Really? Well that sucks. ZOMBIES"

Modern electronics of any sort employ quasi-slave labor overseas with terrible hours and horrible, abusive conditions. How well is the iphone doing? I could go on.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Sep 30, 2012

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I really don't get the loving deal with Zombies. It's almost as ubiquitous as "BACON!" and seems like a huge in joke every one except for me is in on. Is it that people have found a fictional class of person it is morally acceptable to slaughter?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

greatn posted:

I really don't get the loving deal with Zombies. It's almost as ubiquitous as "BACON!" and seems like a huge in joke every one except for me is in on. Is it that people have found a fictional class of person it is morally acceptable to slaughter?

Slaughter? They're already dead, you're just helping the still-alive people by killing and burning them. :smug:

Seriously though it's more about the fact that you can get together with friends and slaughter hordes in a fun mini-game, ON TOP of the robust multiplayer content.

People love co-op vs. dumb AI, it's not really about the zombies.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Sep 30, 2012

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

greatn posted:

It's not just you, zombies seem like this decade's pirates and ninjas and do absolutely nothing for me. I liked games such as Dead Rising, back when it was a novelty, but it has long worn out its welcome for me. poo poo like zombies in RDR, COD, Yakuza et al. just seems like monkey cheese to me and I ignore it on principle.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

greatn posted:

:qqsay:But seriously guys, nobody thinks about what the (fictional) ZOMBIES feel:qqsay:

Bobnumerotres posted:

Half? The people who are advertising North as the one terrible reason you shouldn't get BO2 have decided long ago that they are not getting BO2, due to franchise fatigue. Everyone else is going "Really? Well that sucks. ZOMBIES"

Some people go so far as to assume that CoD fans are somehow not actually enjoying themselves and really do hate the games, they just don't know any better and one day they'll play a real game like (insert personal favorite) and they will understand that they were always a shiteater until they saw the light~

fivegears4reverse fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Sep 30, 2012

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
My only gripe about COD is that there's too many automated segments and scripted events. Really their vehicle segments should have been similar to Half Life 2's or even Halo in terms of controlling the vehicles.

Black Ops 2 seems to have alot of their segments be based less in reality and more in fiction though. Which I have no issue with, but BO1's story was really groan inducing. It felt like someone took a script from a Michael Bay film. If it wasn't an overuse of jargon it was guys cursing trying to out hardass each other.

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Sep 30, 2012

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Some people go so far as to assume that CoD fans are somehow not actually enjoying themselves and really do hate the games, they just don't know any better and one day they'll play a real game like (insert personal favorite) and they will understand that they were always a shiteater until they saw the light~

Well I too like many others hate Activision for just releasing new maps and re-balancing weapons/perks, then charging 60 dollars for it and 15 for a few more maps.

What I can't stand are the people that think the game is fundamentally bad and you are a terrible person for liking it, "battlefield is so much better" etc. EA isn't even the good guy anymore because they too want you to pay more for some new maps and weapons.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

greatn posted:

I think for many it is a power fantasy, people want to see how well they would fare in a zombie apocalypse. But you will notice how a lot of people's enthusiasm evaporates once they realize that it is zombies of the fast variety.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

blackguy32 posted:

I think for many it is a power fantasy, people want to see how well they would fare in a zombie apocalypse. But you will notice how a lot of people's enthusiasm evaporates once they realize that it is zombies of the fast variety.

I've witnessed hour long fights over the very idea of fast zombies. Alot of people get very angry over that idea because they'll cite the rate of decomposition making things unable to move quickly.

Yet the effects of decomposing would make zombies unable to user their limbs in the first place if we're talking about realstic conditions. :psyduck:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

greatn posted:

Because the idea of a zombie attack (or any post apocalyptic scenario in general) is that people who were formerly well off are forced to fight for their very survival in ways they aren't used to and that they might even find morally repugnant.

Which is exactly what the crash of 2008 did to a lot of rich-ish people.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Hmm...

+endorsed by war criminal
-local MP only

I can see the dilemma!
Where did you read that there would be local multi only?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Quest For Glory II posted:

Where did you read that there would be local multi only?

I think he was talking about Zombi being local MP only.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

:qqsay:But seriously guys, nobody thinks about what the (fictional) ZOMBIES feel:qqsay:

Well the zombies are a metaphor for something, they are a fantasy fulfillment for something real but nonexistent. I'm not offended, just curious as to what the popularity of them currently is. A lot of people have put out some good theories. I think frustration at the lower class is one thing that makes zombies popular with some. A game with hordes of zombies you just mow down I find boring and kind of derivative, but a survival horror game closer to Zombi I actually find quite interesting. But I like games where avoiding enemies is just as rewarding or more so than confronting them.

Anyway, I wanted to talk about something more relevant. I was just in Gamestop paying off some more on the console, and I asked abot transferring Wii games to Wii U since I have a lot of Virtual Console games. The representative was very helpful, he says they actually had an e-mail from Nintendo about this, and that you will need both physical consoles to do the transfer of games. He said they are advising people to hold on to their Wii's, and if they intend to trade them in they can buy the Wii U, do their transfer, and then come in and trade in their Wii at the beneficial rate within a few days. One of the best customer service interactions I've had at Gamestop actually.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

greatn posted:

It's not so much the Zombies, but the Zombie mode that Treyarch has created is some of the best co-op gaming with a ton of depth, interesting mechanics/environments and different gimmicks for the different maps that change how you can play them. Plus the characters and story are fun. Though I will admit you need sperg levels of dedication to actually get most of the pieces of the story through playing the maps.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
So the wiiu controller has digital triggers, has it been confirmed whether the pro controller will have analogue or digital triggers?

I hope it does, but looking at the photos of the device it doesn't look like it does :/

I would be a little disappointed if this is the case, because I won't be able to buy a wiiu :(

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

klen dool posted:

So the wiiu controller has digital triggers, has it been confirmed whether the pro controller will have analogue or digital triggers?

I hope it does, but looking at the photos of the device it doesn't look like it does :/

I would be a little disappointed if this is the case, because I won't be able to buy a wiiu :(

I'm disappointed there aren't digital triggers either, but why's that the breaking point? I guess if driving games are your favorite genre that kind of ruins them.

greatn fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Oct 1, 2012

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I play driving games on PC all the time, don't exactly have the option of analog triggers there. Does this make me a bad person or are people who complain about this just whining? This isn't a wise-crack this is a legit question.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Bobnumerotres posted:

I play driving games on PC all the time, don't exactly have the option of analog triggers there. Does this make me a bad person or are people who complain about this just whining? This isn't a wise-crack this is a legit question.

I've never gamed on PC, but I can't imagine a game like GTA IV or Driver San Francisco without analog acceleration and braking(I'm sure there are USB pedals for this, or just plugging in an X-box controller). That said, I have an X-box so if I want one of those games it will be on X-box, while the Wii U will have plenty of games.

Southpaw Wusky
Oct 23, 2010

Bobnumerotres posted:

Driving games on a keyboard are certainly playable but nowhere near as enjoyable as the pedal-like 360 triggers. But it seems the Wii U won't even attempt subtle pressure sensitivity like the PS2's Dualshock 2 so it could be terrible for driving games compared to 360/PS3/PC with wheel.

MooseTrap
May 14, 2009
Finally caved and preordered the deluxe.. Not sure on what game to get at launch though, I'm leaning towards AC3 and/or NSMBU.

As for the analog trigger/racing game thing, I think Gran Turismo on PS3 uses the right analog stick for acceleration and it works pretty well.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Bobnumerotres posted:

It really depends on the game, if you're playing a driving simulator than you probably really care about precision making playing like keys or buttons without any pressure sensitive really unenjoyable.

Do you play racing sims or arcade racers?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Wotalt posted:

Driving games on a keyboard are certainly playable but nowhere near as enjoyable as the pedal-like 360 triggers. But it seems the Wii U won't even attempt subtle pressure sensitivity like the PS2's Dualshock 2 so it could be terrible for driving games compared to 360/PS3/PC with wheel.

The most disappointing thing is the Gamecube had awesome analog shoulder buttons with built in triggers underneath. They were precise and Nintendo used them in a ton of games. Then all of a sudden they said "gently caress analog controls" and their design teams got the attitude of "if you need more than one button to play the game it's too complex".

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Yeah I don't know what's up with that. Why get so close to being totally compatible with everything up to this point and skimp out in areas so important to very popular genres?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Yeah, the Gamecube definitely had my favourite analog triggers so far. The PS3's pivot awkwardly when pressed and the 360's are kinda tiny.

It's hard to tell for sure from a photo, but the Pro Controller doesn't look like its triggers have very far to depress, so analog seems unlikely.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Supercar Gautier posted:

Yeah, the Gamecube definitely had my favourite analog triggers so far. The PS3's pivot awkwardly when pressed and the 360's are kinda tiny.

It's hard to tell for sure from a photo, but the Pro Controller doesn't look like its triggers have very far to depress, so analog seems unlikely.

The PS3 ones don't look like they have far to compress either, but they do. No one seems to know on the classic pro controller though, because no one who's held it bothers to mention.

Nickoten posted:

Yeah I don't know what's up with that. Why get so close to being totally compatible with everything up to this point and skimp out in areas so important to very popular genres?

Nintendo even switched to real analog d sticks that have l3 and r3 buttons after developers complained, they had the terrible slider things earlier. Maybe just no one mentioned it.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Supercar Gautier posted:

Man that thing looks really loving chintsy, is it basically just a Classic Controller unteathered?

greatn posted:

The PS3 ones don't look like they have far to compress either, but they do. No one seems to know on the classic pro controller though, because no one who's held it bothers to mention.

What? The PS3 triggers make it pretty obvious they have 4 inches of give:

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

Liku posted:

Man that thing looks really loving chintsy, is it basically just a Classic Controller unteathered?
Well, it has click-able sticks.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Chaltab posted:

Well, it has click-able sticks.

Also rumble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

So the gamepad has digital shoulder buttons? I dont see why the pro controller would have a different setup then that.

• Locked thread