Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Also worth a try is Foundation, it seems to be like Bootstrap but much more of a looser skeleton than a big package. I used Bootstrap on my portfolio but now I'm kinda regretting that because I feel like I have to play so much to Bootstrap's rules or go through tons of LESS and recompile it to change the styling, although with foundation now you have to do it through SASS instead so it ain't much better on that front.

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Sep 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chopper
Feb 13, 2006

Until quite recently I have always liked to write my own code from scratch. Whether that be CSS frameworks, Javascript libraries or Python/PHP libraries and modules.

Then I started to learn Python and realised how much more productive you can be using Libraries. People all over the internet have already written pretty much everything you would ever want to do, and probably a lot better than you too (if you carefully pick the best one).

In the current 'era' of web design not using jQuery and its modules (or another JS framework) is in my opinion a crazy waste of time and resources. Bootstrap is more arguable as it does have a very distinct look unless you customise the gently caress out of it, but is certainly a very good starting point if you have lacking design skills.

My point is, once you learn to work with other peoples code you will never look back.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Same old screenshot, but I've just tagged my Cocoa Gedcom.framework at 0.9.1 and pushed it to github, as it can now successfully read a pretty horrid torture test file without data loss:

https://github.com/mikkelee/Gedcom-Framework

After a couple of false starts and bad design decisions last year, I tore the whole thing up (*) and started anew in March. Took a break to handle other things in July/August, and picked it up again this month. Not sure how many hours that amounts to.

I've been using this to get a good knowledge of the Cocoa frameworks and have learned a lot, so I can definitely recommend finding a project and just hacking away at it until it does what you want.

Next major step after polishing everything off (and writing a bunch of helper methods to handle the dumber aspects of GEDCOM) is creating a GUI that's actually worth a drat, the current one is basically just a viewer.

*) I did keep some very low-level code (most of which has been rewritten since, ie the age/date parsing is now done via ragel instead of ParseKit to avoid dependencies).

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

Chopper posted:

Until quite recently I have always liked to write my own code from scratch. Whether that be CSS frameworks, Javascript libraries or Python/PHP libraries and modules.

Then I started to learn Python and realised how much more productive you can be using Libraries. People all over the internet have already written pretty much everything you would ever want to do, and probably a lot better than you too (if you carefully pick the best one).

In the current 'era' of web design not using jQuery and its modules (or another JS framework) is in my opinion a crazy waste of time and resources. Bootstrap is more arguable as it does have a very distinct look unless you customise the gently caress out of it, but is certainly a very good starting point if you have lacking design skills.

My point is, once you learn to work with other peoples code you will never look back.

Seriously, as part of my master's dissertation I wrote a framework for handling distributed processing of physiological data on Windows/Linux/Android and it took literally 6 hours, 3 of which was getting a parallel processing library to work on Android.

If I wrote that in C++ and didn't use existing libraries (if there are any), it would've taken me loving weeks.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
This is the guy who had the terrible portfolio website. I redid it using Twitter Bootstrap (thanks to the guy who mentioned foundation, I almost chose it but Bootstrap has better documentation).

Anyway thought I'd update you guys on what I ended up doing. For anyone interested my (still a work in progress for content) new Bootstrap site is up: http://www.pluswebhost.com/portfolio/

The learning curve was a little bit of a pain in the rear end, but it was really easy once I figured out a basic layout. Thanks for the recommendations, it took far less time to actually get going once I knew what was up, and I will likely develop with this far more often from now on.

Now if I could just get popovers working :arghfist:

e: And I'll probably be changing the color scheme. I didn't feel like compiling with less over and over right at the beginning.

Updated link.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Sep 28, 2012

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Knyteguy posted:

For anyone interested my (still a work in progress for content) new Bootstrap site is up: http://www.pluswebhost.com/portfolio/bootstrap/

Please Use A Bootstrap Theme.

People, especially people looking at your portfolio for design work, will recognize it immediately. I think a lot of people are somewhat sick of the Bootstrap theme.

Chopper posted:

This probably belongs in the Coding Horrors thread, but at a previous job I was not allowed to use any external code. Not because of legal reasons, but because of support reasons.

"But what if Google goes out of business, and leaves GWT in the dust?"
"1) This is an internal tool. If they drop it, oh no, we're on a slightly outdated version, and 2) That's not going to happen."

"And what if jQuery goes out of business?"
"3) You're all morons."

This was at a company in the top 50 of the Fortune 500, by the way.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Suspicious Dish posted:

People, especially people looking at your portfolio for design work, will recognize it immediately. I think a lot of people are somewhat sick of the Bootstrap theme.

I agree, if only because the original theme is very bland for a portfolio. I didn't plan on keeping the original, I just didn't want to screw around with Less during the first stage of development

quote:

This probably belongs in the Coding Horrors thread, but at a previous job I was not allowed to use any external code. Not because of legal reasons, but because of support reasons.

"But what if Google goes out of business, and leaves GWT in the dust?"
"1) This is an internal tool. If they drop it, oh no, we're on a slightly outdated version, and 2) That's not going to happen."

"And what if jQuery goes out of business?"
"3) You're all morons."

This was at a company in the top 50 of the Fortune 500, by the way.

:aaaaa:

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Suspicious Dish posted:

I had the same thing. I could've used someone else's nice little dll for reading from USB scales. Instead I had to pinvoke like crazy and ended up creating a no poo poo memory leak in C# that wasn't caught 'till months later.

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

Suspicious Dish posted:

I worked at a shop that had a bunch of internal apps written in Perl, and my manager frowned on using CPAN modules. It was the same poo poo, "what if they update the module and totally change the interface?" and "these machines aren't directly internet accessible, how do you expect to reliably pull down those modules?"

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I've installed 1-wire digital temperature sensors throughout my house. I'm going to be hooking servos up to all the HVAC registers. All hooked up to an old laptop running Ubuntu which is going to be running an application I'm writing in Python to control the temperature on a per-room basis.

I've also got several IP cameras, humidity sensors, and other stuff and I'm going to all integrate it into a home page for our house.

But anyway, all I've got going now is some python+rrdtool graphing the data.

Hibame
Feb 20, 2008

Knyteguy posted:

This is the guy who had the terrible portfolio website. I redid it using Twitter Bootstrap (thanks to the guy who mentioned foundation, I almost chose it but Bootstrap has better documentation).

Anyway thought I'd update you guys on what I ended up doing. For anyone interested my (still a work in progress for content) new Bootstrap site is up: http://www.pluswebhost.com/portfolio/

The learning curve was a little bit of a pain in the rear end, but it was really easy once I figured out a basic layout. Thanks for the recommendations, it took far less time to actually get going once I knew what was up, and I will likely develop with this far more often from now on.

Now if I could just get popovers working :arghfist:

e: And I'll probably be changing the color scheme. I didn't feel like compiling with less over and over right at the beginning.

Updated link.

The site is still too wide for my 13" laptop at 1280x800 with the dock on the left side of the screen.

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker

Thermopyle posted:

I've installed 1-wire digital temperature sensors throughout my house. I'm going to be hooking servos up to all the HVAC registers. All hooked up to an old laptop running Ubuntu which is going to be running an application I'm writing in Python to control the temperature on a per-room basis.

I've also got several IP cameras, humidity sensors, and other stuff and I'm going to all integrate it into a home page for our house.

But anyway, all I've got going now is some python+rrdtool graphing the data.

Are you concerned with the noise of servos constantly opening and closing grates at all hours of the day? Or is the servo nested deep enough inside the vent to muffle the noise?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Kallikrates posted:

Are you concerned with the noise of servos constantly opening and closing grates at all hours of the day? Or is the servo nested deep enough inside the vent to muffle the noise?

Spread the motion of opening/closing over like 15 seconds or something. I've tested it and its nearly inaudible.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Thermopyle posted:

Are you linking this over wifi, or did you drop wires for everything back to the central system?

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Sep 29, 2012

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Hibame posted:

The site is still too wide for my 13" laptop at 1280x800 with the dock on the left side of the screen.

This should now be fixed, thanks. Containers didn't work exactly how I expected them to.

E: also that temperature stuff is awesome!

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 29, 2012

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Shalinor posted:

Are you linking this over wifi, or did you drop wires for everything back to the central system?

I built my house about 5 years ago and dropped multiple runs of Cat5 into every room.

See some pictures of how I wired up the sensors and stuff here.

You can do this wirelessly with xbee sensors which work pretty great. The only downside to xbee sensors is that while the 1-wire DS18B20 sensors cost a couple bucks, the xbee sensors are 20 to 50 bucks apiece.

AcidRoot
Apr 15, 2010
I'm working on a small holo themed drawing app for android. Also I apparently don't know how to edit images.

Mug
Apr 26, 2005
Here's a crosspost from the making-games megathread.

Got some new characters, mainly.

Test Pilot Monkey
Apr 27, 2003

I've seen Westerns, I know how to speak cowboy.

Inspired by the xanalogtv screensaver, I decided to have a go at writing something like that myself.

A tv signal (not any particular standard) is generated, noise is added (plus a little skip every now and then to try to trip up the hsync), and then it's passed on to a receiver. This tries to make sense of the signal it gets, using the vsync and hsync data in the signal.

I know very little about how analog tv actually works, and some elements of the program are still a little too 'digital' for my liking, but it looks like what I was aiming for. Except there's no colour, but I've tried reading up on that and it makes my head hurt.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Just finished my portfolio/résumé website. It's all made using BootStrap thanks to a suggestion I saw earlier in the thread.

http://www.floriansegginger.ch

Please tell me if you find something weird/badly phrased.

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Llllaadies? :smug:

(Not really picking on you, just thought it was funny to see that on a Resume, never really looked at many before!)

I like it though. Pretty easy to see what's what, which is what you need when you have a portfolio. Only thing I can see is maybe enlarging the "2012", "2011", etc, headers, so they don't look the same as the project name headers.

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Jewel posted:

Llllaadies? :smug:
In europe we do Résumés a little differently. We need to give this sort of information (marital status, if you have kids, etc..) and a headshot is commonplace.

quote:

I like it though. Pretty easy to see what's what, which is what you need when you have a portfolio. Only thing I can see is maybe enlarging the "2012", "2011", etc, headers, so they don't look the same as the project name headers.

Thanks, I'll see what I can do without breaking the hierarchy :)

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Sir Davey posted:

In europe we do Résumés a little differently.

For example, there are little ' things over the e's :aaa:.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

Sir Davey posted:

In europe we do Résumés a little differently. We need to give this sort of information (marital status, if you have kids, etc..) and a headshot is commonplace.

I've just seen them called CVs instead of resumes

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Sir Davey posted:

You do that over here (North America) and your resumé (I can do a fancy e too) would probably get thrown out because you could get sued over that information. No idea why that's common in éuropé.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy

piratepilates posted:

You do that over here (North America) and your resumé (I can do a fancy e too) would probably get thrown out because you could get sued over that information. No idea why that's common in éuropé.

afaik in some countries (Finland?) googling applicants, using any information or seeking any information not explicitly provided by applicant is horrifyingly illegal and results in huge penalties

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sir Davey posted:

éuropé sounds lovely. What's the headshot used for? Throwing out candidates who are ugly?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

They often include a headshot in Chinese resumes too, but I haven't figured out what they're used for (if anything)

a slime
Apr 11, 2005

akadajet posted:

éuropé sounds lovely. What's the headshot used for? Throwing out candidates who are ugly?

All I've seen it used for here in Switzerland is to filter candidates who aren't white

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

akadajet posted:

Well some jobs require you to have good hygiene. For example in a bank or things like that. If you look disgusting on your photo then, yeah, you kind of deserve to be thrown out of the pile.

Otherwise I guess it's just to give your CV a more "human" look.

PirateMathew
Apr 22, 2007

The dog is fine in Portugal - that big threat is away - you don't have to worry about crime anymore.

Sir Davey posted:

Shenanigans, not in these parts of Europe (Netherlands).

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY
On the bonus side, in lots of places in Europe they're legally not allowed to contact your previous employer and ask about you

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Cowcatcher posted:

On the bonus side, in lots of places in Europe they're legally not allowed to contact your previous employer and ask about you

Really?? That seems like such an essential part of the process over here in the states

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

fletcher posted:

Really?? That seems like such an essential part of the process over here in the states

It does seem counterintuitive for someone to know your marriage status, religion and age but not what your last boss thought of your work.

But then again, your last job could have been in Arizona and you got fired because you were using contraceptive pills and the boss' review of your work is "WHORE OF BABYLON"...

SlightlyMadman
Jan 14, 2005

An early screenshot of my latest roguelike: Warp9

I just picked up FTL the other day and absolutely love the gameplay, but I'm desperate for a sandbox mode. Rather than mess with their lackluster modding capabilities, I decided it would be simpler just to write a new game along similar lines.

I'm using libtcod with subpixel image blitting for the graphics, which gives it a great ANSI-art style.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Sir Davey posted:

Well some jobs require you to have good hygiene. For example in a bank or things like that. If you look disgusting on your photo then, yeah, you kind of deserve to be thrown out of the pile.

Otherwise I guess it's just to give your CV a more "human" look.

Being a working professional in general requires you to have good hygiene. Don't you guys do in-person interviews over there? The only time I've included a head shot on my resume is when I was applying to acting gigs because that's a job where appearance does matter.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
I've had indian students tell me that it is used there to determine how dark you are for jobs. It sounds pretty racist because it is!

Bastard
Jul 13, 2001

We are each responsible for our own destiny.

thelightguy posted:

Being a working professional in general requires you to have good hygiene.

Tell that to some of the people in IT.

krnhotwings
May 7, 2009
Grimey Drawer

MeramJert posted:

They often include a headshot in Chinese resumes too, but I haven't figured out what they're used for (if anything)
This guy explains why:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71wtvZ_z3ZI#t=1m

I find his series of videos to be pretty interesting.

e: For those who don't wanna watch the video, he explains that in China one's image is very important and employers can hire based on physical attributes. Where the West considers this discrimination, in China looks can be important to business (ie. a good looking receptionist, secretary, or salesman are some examples he pointed out.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
Can't really post a screenshot for either since they're not very visual, but I want to mark my accomplishment somehow. Hopefully this isn't a thread faux pas?

I finally got fallbacks for midroll video ads in my company's Android app to work - I think. Backwards-compatible videos between 20-minute videos, where not losing your state is important, is the most painful thing ever on Android. Ugh. I'm stoked I got the hard part done, though. (but I wish people would just pay their $7 for no ads.) Next is requesting ad metadata, integrating our good-enough VAST parser, ad quartile pings, and clickthrough UI. :suicide:

At home, I've got a netboot+NFS+kickstart setup scripted to automatically and fully install a VM, complete with custom hostname, VMWare Tools (as I'm using ESXi), and Puppet. Turns out, if you specify a http repository during install, it'll download then install, whereas it'll go straight to installing from an NFS repository. Now if only I could script starting a VM on ESXi without having to pay for a license (I'm using the free version).