Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
In related news: Christina Sealey (of Orphx) and friends are fundraising to put on free workshops teaching young women how to make electronic music. If you've got $5 and a PayPal account you could do worse with it than helping them them out.

Indiegogo fundraiser: http://www.indiegogo.com/intheloop?c=home

Project home: http://www.intheloopmusic.ca/
FB page: http://www.facebook.com/intheloopelectronicmusic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
^^^ That's pretty cool. Also, I hadn't actually realised Orphx released an album last year, so that's ALSO cool.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Danger - Octopus! posted:

^^^ That's pretty cool. Also, I hadn't actually realised Orphx released an album last year, so that's ALSO cool.

I've been listening to this live set a lot:

http://soundcloud.com/orphx/orphx-live-at-berghain-april

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Snippets from the AirMech soundtrack by FLA

Finally. This poo poo is sounding loving great.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I knew they were doing soundtrack work, but I had no idea that Carbon had basically commissioned a Front Line Assembly album. That's loving awesome.

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Snippets from the AirMech soundtrack by FLA

Finally. This poo poo is sounding loving great.

I listened to them earlier and I really like it. It's got that same blend of electronics and orchestration that Daft Punk's Tron soundtrack had!

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
Oh my god... You guys... My beloved FLA are back. :toot: I'm so happy right now.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007
So I've been listening both to the new And One album and the new PAKT (ie. the other part of the old And One) and I'm surprised at home much I enjoy both of them considering how awful And One was just before the breakup. Recommended!

Neither band is a million miles from what And One used to sound like but PAKT seem to be going more for the harder edged stuff.

PS: Also just going to leave this here. I assume some of you will like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ5B0nyI2fA

Hedenius fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Sep 15, 2012

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
Clint Mansell, Cevin Key, Trent Reznor, now Bill Leeb...

Industrial musicians make the best soundtracks. You'd think there would be more directors and producers going after the alot of them out there. But I suppose either the money isn't there or they are too afraid they'll write something too "weird".

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
FLA did the best music in Quake 3 Arena as well FYI. :D

Quake 3 was my favourite game soundtrack before I even got into the genre which I always thought was funny.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

The Cleaner posted:

Clint Mansell, Cevin Key, Trent Reznor, now Bill Leeb...

Industrial musicians make the best soundtracks. You'd think there would be more directors and producers going after the alot of them out there. But I suppose either the money isn't there or they are too afraid they'll write something too "weird".

Don't forget Graeme Revell, Coil, Ogre...

Godmachine
Sep 5, 2004

I am beyond God.
I am Human.

boo_radley posted:

Whoo, gonna see Covenant tonight at DNA Lounge! Anybody else in town?

Oh drat. I live in the Bay and I go to DNA all the time. I just now saw this.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Godmachine posted:

Oh drat. I live in the Bay and I go to DNA all the time. I just now saw this.

you missed an awesome show! I got knucks from eskil and a girl next to us made him a poster in Illustrator.

He was totally :geno: about it: he held it up for the crowd and said "I have received this... from this young lady... What is your name... Thank you (name (I do not remember her name))". He went on with the show and she basically melted.

But I feel your pain: The SWANS were in Denver with Xiu Xiu and I missed them. I might as well just DIE :(

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007
Has anyone seen the Thrill Kill Kult on their tour or does no one care about them anymore? I missed them when there were here and am wondering if I missed out on anything.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!
Last time I paid attention to them, they were determined to keep spiraling downward into repetitive disco.

SacrificialGoat
Oct 8, 2003

Catjaw is a hero of the people

Zaiquiri posted:

Has anyone seen the Thrill Kill Kult on their tour or does no one care about them anymore? I missed them when there were here and am wondering if I missed out on anything.

I saw them last time they toured like a year ago. I thought it was pretty good and I intend to see them again this time

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Halloween Jack posted:

Last time I paid attention to them, they were determined to keep spiraling downward into repetitive disco.

yeah, their split with EHC was not good. They were amazing together, but separate they just had no tension.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

boo_radley posted:

yeah, their split with EHC was not good. They were amazing together, but separate they just had no tension.

I don't know how much the departure of Buck Ryder (Thomas Thorn) had to do with it. I think people exaggerate the "split" that occurred. He was hired as a live performer, stuck around for a couple of albums, and then went on his way… at least that's how they tell the story these days.

I've seen TKK live like a million times, and it's never not been fun, even when I haven't been into whatever the new material was. They know what the fans want to hear*, and they generally turn in a fun performance.

It's at its best with (some incarnation of) the Bomb Gang Girlz and Charles Levi on the scene.

*which is not to say that they always play the same hits, but they rotate through a bunch of classics.

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Sep 28, 2012

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

I'm Going To Spread Saikyo All Over The World!!

Zaiquiri posted:

I've seen them a few times over the years and it's always a good time. It's cheesy and tongue in cheek fun and they're always solid live. It's just a little odd when you see them after their set and they're barely awake from all the drug use.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

They played in Austin last night. I didn't go, but I was at the Icon of Coil show earlier in the week, and two guys who work at the club told me they were expecting a big turnout.

Something about it being on a Friday, of course, but also that the band apparently has a fairly large following in Texas. I have to think the band's aesthetic (SEX, LEATHER AND HOT RODS!) fits the culture here. But I was told several members of the band have roots in nearby San Antonio, they've played here a ton, and so a lot of people know them.

GODS NOT REAL
Sep 25, 2012

YOU STUPID BUNNIES
I remember when I was 15 and OBSESSED with industrial music. Ah, nostalgia.

I don't know if any of you dig on Chemlab, but they're the band that got me into it. It's got a machine-rock sound, and suits its self-dubbed title of "Angel-Dustrial". Below are a couple of their songs; one from each album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlbRWWUNXxo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN6U3lHeC0s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO7m1sl_hr8

It's hard to find decent stuff on youtube from Oxidizer because they've always been pretty underground.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Twiin, I think you're making something of an impact.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
I'm really digging tonikom's found and lost, apparently it just came out recently. I only found out about it through last.fm's recommendations for newly-released albums because it was listed as similar to Totakeke (whose Elekatota album I'm a big fan of).

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I have a giant Coil shaped hole in my music collection. The only album I have by them is their Black Light District release, and I haven't heard much else by them. Where's a good place to start?

spider_ross.avi
Jan 15, 2008

nnGUH

Pope Guilty posted:

Twiin, I think you're making something of an impact.

Thomas Rainer posted:

I see it as a kind of knightly accolade as there is no other band out there who was yet considered "dangerous" enough to spend money on.

hahahahahahaha no other band ever

GODS NOT REAL
Sep 25, 2012

YOU STUPID BUNNIES
What's Industrial like these days? The last time I followed it was about late 2010. I still bought Covenant and And One's new album (yes, I know they're not Industrial), but thought they both left something to be desired. Any great new or newish releases?

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
Industrial music is now emo music with drum machines and military uniforms.

Also it does not make a statement.

(pic is unrelated)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

GODS NOT REAL
Sep 25, 2012

YOU STUPID BUNNIES
I went to a Nachtmahr gig last year. It was alright, but the scene is basically "I'm more German than you!" now

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:
So it's like a musical German version of St Patrick's day?

GODS NOT REAL
Sep 25, 2012

YOU STUPID BUNNIES

Achtung! Panzer posted:

Pretty much.

Uberbyte were there too. They were loving great, even if they did throw an inflatable penis at me, which hit me in the face.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Gushing Granny posted:

What's Industrial like these days? The last time I followed it was about late 2010. I still bought Covenant and And One's new album (yes, I know they're not Industrial), but thought they both left something to be desired. Any great new or newish releases?

Spark! are amazing if you like Swedish EBM.

Mind.In.A.Box are still really good (they released 'Revelations' this year)

The latest Assemblage 23 'Bruise' is great.

Covenant's latest is indeed shite IMHO, but VNV's is really good and a lot better than the previous two of theirs.

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Achtung! Panzer posted:

That's more Oktoberfest. Industrial scene is that but circa 1933-1945.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

het posted:

I'm really digging tonikom's found and lost, apparently it just came out recently. I only found out about it through last.fm's recommendations for newly-released albums because it was listed as similar to Totakeke (whose Elekatota album I'm a big fan of).

Just listened to that Tonikom album and it is pretty awesome. Reminds me a lot of later Download stuff. I don't evem know how to categorize this kind of music like Terminal Sound System/Lusine ICL/Red Reflection/etc., but some of the mellower stuff that comes out of the power noise labels is amazing.

samurai slowdown
Jun 11, 2006

POWER UP

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

I have a giant Coil shaped hole in my music collection. The only album I have by them is their Black Light District release, and I haven't heard much else by them. Where's a good place to start?

It's kind of hard to say because their sound changed so much between albums. I would probably start with either Scatology, Horse Rotovator or Love's Secret Domain.

Scatology is the most "industrial" sounding album of the three. Abrasive and dark if not outright disturbing at times compared to their later stuff.

Horse Rotovator is more melancholy than menacing, ditching the screech and grind in favor of a more lush, structured sound.

Love's Secret Domain is their most accessible album but nearly impossible for me to describe like the others because of all the genre hopping it does. A mix of several genres stitched together by acid and early IDM. I'm probably making it sound like a self indulgent train wreck but it's really amazing from beginning to end.

Sorry for the Vicodin induced rambling (wisdom teeth :argh:) but nobody else bothered to respond.

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
If you're looking for something industrial Scatology is definitely the best pick. If you are looking for something different I strongly suggest The Ape of Naples as a starting point, it's mellow and very accessible. If you want to hear something supremely harsh check out Constant Shallowness Leads to Evil. Really, there's no place to go wrong.

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

For the past few years I've been really into a band called Health. It reminds me of the early industrial scene like if TG/Psychic TV made an album with Sonic Youth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwJMIqpByoA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ps0Q0fzbjrs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCptwLAJ6HA

mcstanb
Mar 21, 2011
Health are really awesome, especially the work they did for the Max Payne 3 soundtrack. Their facebook updates on the other hand lead me to think they're 14.

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

mcstanb posted:

Health are really awesome, especially the work they did for the Max Payne 3 soundtrack. Their facebook updates on the other hand lead me to think they're 14.

Chatted with them after a show and that's their humor. John (asian dude) does a lot of their off color posts.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Got to see Thrill Kill Kult a week ago, which was a serious :holy: moment for me. Talked some friends into going, including a couple who'd never listened to TKK, and everybody had a mostly-great time.

The opening band was the Ginsu Wives, a local band who are kind of shoegaze synth-rock with noise solos and a willingness to take off their shirts and let the feedback take over. Enthusiastic guys making some enjoyable noise to prepare people for TKK.

Then there was Left Spine Down. I don't usually expect much from bands signed to Metropolis, and they basically met my expectations. The song they played before the vocalist showed up was more interesting than everything that followed. The synth player was definitely the highlight (hoping he gets to move on to a better band) but despite the lame lyrics, the vocalist was at least being energetic and trying to engage the audience, doing things ranging from running through the crowd with a flashlight, standing on people's table while singing, popping out through the front door to sing to the smokers, and snuggling up next to girls in the audience. Sadly, it was just kind of bland overall; if you're going to have a dumb name just for the initials LSD, why not sound like something inspired by LSD?
Quote from the vocalist: "Who here is ready for Thrill Kill Kult? *audience cheers * Too bad, you'll have to put up with us for another half-hour."

Then there was Thrill Kill Kult. Great video footage for the first few songs, then that faded out. They had a Sexplosion prop area set up off to the side, with a bartender in a devil mask serving one of the blonde Bomb Gang Girlz before she joined in with back-up vocals. After going through basically every hit I was hoping for (no 'Ride the Mindway', unsurprisingly) they came back onstage for an encore after the audience chanted their name for five minutes to play 'Kooler Than Jesus'.
Groovie was very cool after the show, signing stuff and posing for photos. He seemed kind of tired, but I couldn't tell whether it was from drugs, the performance, or from still being in TKK after all these years. The rest of the band vanished almost immediately after the encore, though I snagged a signature from Mimi the amazingly bored-looking bassist.
And in all the excitement, I loving forgot to ask Groovie if 13 Above The Night is ever coming out on vinyl. :bang:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

It looks that way, huh?