Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

Pasteurized Milk posted:

What does Vincent's age count as?

I put him as 27. The wikia says "27 (physically), 54 (chronologically)".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

ImpAtom posted:

None who die during the game, I think. I just noticed that Tellah and Galuf probably bring things up a whole lot. (Strago too but he survives.)

I've got to wonder about Auron too. Is 35 his pre-death age or is he like 35 including the years he spent as a zombie-thing.

Galuf makes a big diff since there's only five characters in his game, Tellah not so much although he does bring the average up by about four years. Mode is pretty close to "average age without old people and kids" since most of the characters in the games are about the same age.

The average body weight of a FF4 character is 103 lbs! They stopped listing weights after FF6 so unfortunately I can't continue this analysis.

Ross fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 1, 2012

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Auron is weird because he visibly aged from the time of his death to the events of X. I'm pretty sure "35" is post death.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Technically, Laguna would be 44 in present day FFVIII, but I suppose you could take his playable age to be used instead.

There's also Fusoya in IV, but his age is unknown.

Also amusing how all the oldest characters (save Fang and Vanille, who are still fairly young physically) are men. Maybe they should have a granny character next game.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
There's also Rydia who's listed as 7 then she goes away to the magic time-accelerated Summoned Monsters Land and is like 17-18 probably but they didn't have a specific age for that so I used 7.

vv I was 10-14 when the NES and SNES FFs were new and hot and 17-20 for the PSX ones. I'm not sure when I started to feel like I wasn't the target audience anymore.

Ross fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Oct 1, 2012

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
About FF pandering to only creeps, you guys do know that like 10-12 year olds play these games right? I think I beat Xenogears when I was 11, and FF7 around then too. It's like saying Pokemon shouldn't have younger characters because :pedo:

Some real weird stuff though was in Xenosaga (which is almost FF :colbert:), with the villain calling the character Momo ma peche or whatever. That's some creeper poo poo.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Bongo Bill posted:

Thieves are awful, and if you're playing the NES version their one advantage is bugged and doesn't work (Thieves are no more likely to succeed at running than anybody else). Ninjas are better, but you'd still be better off with a Black Mage.

Red Mages start off useful because they're good at everything, but later in the game they're not good enough. They have an excellent selection of support spells, though. More of these support spells work properly if you're not playing the NES version.

Black Belts, by way of contrast, starts off weak because of their vulnerability, because they don't have much armor selection apart from accessories, but their damage output increases exponentially and they're the most powerful offensive class by the late game. Leave them barehanded.

Don't forget, Black Belts are bugged in the NES version as well, due to the equipment screen bug. You should just take a Red Mage along, due to their versatility in the early game.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I play FF1 as WHM/BLM/BLM/BLM. Pro mode. :colbert:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Knyteguy posted:

About FF pandering to only creeps, you guys do know that like 10-12 year olds play these games right? I think I beat Xenogears when I was 11, and FF7 around then too. It's like saying Pokemon shouldn't have younger characters because :pedo:

Some real weird stuff though was in Xenosaga (which is almost FF :colbert:), with the villain calling the character Momo ma peche or whatever. That's some creeper poo poo.

Alpedo was supposed to be creepy, though. That's not the unintentional creepy of pandering to pedophiles like in Star Ocean 4 (guys she's actually legal, she just looks like she's prepubescent you guys!)

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
When my brother and I first beat FF1 our party was Fighter/Black Belt/Red Mage/White Mage. After that we tried Red Mage/Thief/Black Belt/Black Mage, which didn't work very well.

This was all facilitated by that Nintendo Power Strategy Guide. I'm not sure it was possible for a pair of 10 year-olds to beat FF1 otherwise.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Defiance Industries posted:

Alpedo was supposed to be creepy, though. That's not the unintentional creepy of pandering to pedophiles like in Star Ocean 4 (guys she's actually legal, she just looks like she's prepubescent you guys!)

That's the thing; it's presented as him being horribly hosed up. The player is certainly not meant to supportive of that. Or the blatent misogyny. And there's the fact that he's the antagonist.

Ah, Star Ocean 4, I was introduced to that cutscene in the XIII thread. Jesus loving christ. :shepicide:
I don't know if it's the way she says it or what, but that scene makes my flesh crawl.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Oct 1, 2012

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Boten Anna posted:

That one is actually pretty easy. I think the only thing you wouldn't be able to do is beat Warmech since individual BLM damage per turn caps out at around 300-350 with NUKE unless you're fighting elementally-vulnerable enemies--probably not enough to damage race it. You'll absolutely have enough MP to cook random encounters even without poo poo like Thor's Hammer.

And if you're playing Origins or Dawn of Souls, even easier! x3 Temper/Haste on your Masamune-swinging White Wizard every turn? Oh man.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Has anyone played Everlong (http://www.nealien.com/Everlong/)?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Knyteguy posted:

Mog: silly cute thing or pedo furry fantasy? Let's ask the internet...

The White Dragon posted:

That one is actually pretty easy. I think the only thing you wouldn't be able to do is beat Warmech since individual BLM damage per turn caps out at around 300-350 with NUKE unless you're fighting elementally-vulnerable enemies--probably not enough to damage race it. You'll absolutely have enough MP to cook random encounters even without poo poo like Thor's Hammer.

And if you're playing Origins or Dawn of Souls, even easier! x3 Temper/Haste on your Masamune-swinging White Wizard every turn? Oh man.

WHM is also a great party leader because RUSE is overpowered as gently caress in the NES version. I have no idea if this is fixed in remakes.

Baku fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 1, 2012

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Mog: silly cute thing or pedo furry fantasy? Let's ask the internet...

Well according to FF7... :shepface:

Miracon
Jan 1, 2010

ApplesandOranges posted:

Technically, Laguna would be 44 in present day FFVIII, but I suppose you could take his playable age to be used instead.

Ohhh, that makes sense. That age list confused the hell out of me at first with Squall listed as 17 and Laguna as 27. I know we're talking about anime ages, but having a kid when you were 10 is to the point of ridiculous.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Miracon posted:

I know we're talking about anime ages, but having a kid when you were 10

Isn't this like the plot of every anime released in the past five years though?

FF8 was half a decade ahead of its time :v:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Boten Anna posted:

You can solo FF1 with any class except Thief. Call no man pro until he has done this.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses
Yes I used the ages from when you play as them for Laguna And Friends.

Vinchenz
Jul 13, 2012

But trust me, I know that I'm the worst bastard here.
Beat Final Fantasy IX for the first time today. Owned it since it came out. Game was loving awesome.

I understand Necron's purpose but it seems kind of sudden... anyone have any take on him?

Now to start FFVIII since I also owned that since it came out :smithicide:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Vinchenz posted:

1) Mute your TV
2) Make a playlist of Linkin Park, My Chemical Romance, TLC, and the Jonas Brothers
3) Role. Playing. Game.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

1) Mute your TV
2) Make a playlist of Linkin Park, My Chemical Romance, TLC, and the Jonas Brothers
3) Role. Playing. Game.

Thats only like the first disc. After that its nothing but the worst and most saccharine love duets you can find. If possible, try to double mute the TV whenever "Eyes on Me" plays.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Barudak posted:

Thats only like the first disc. After that its nothing but the worst and most saccharine love duets you can find. If possible, try to double mute the TV whenever "Eyes on Me" plays.

Disc 3 is Every Breath You Take on loop :v:

If you want to play this game with FF9, obtain Eek-A-Mouse's Ganja Smuggling, that should cover you for the entirety of it. With like a little bit of Hi Risk Faktor's Chillax and some of Ekolu's Just One Night.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Oct 1, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Vinchenz posted:

Beat Final Fantasy IX for the first time today. Owned it since it came out. Game was loving awesome.

I understand Necron's purpose but it seems kind of sudden... anyone have any take on him?

I've been paying closer attention to the story to try to figure out Necron, Garland mentions he's "without Death or Life" and a kind of soultaker so I thought it might have something to do with him. A lot of people like the suggestion that it's the "soul" side of the Iifa tree and that you only destroyed the body earlier.

It definitely comes out of nowhere though, that was a really big complaint back when it came out too.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I hear in Japanese his name 'The Darkness of Eternity' so I guess he's more of a conceptual thing like Death itself or whatever.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Pureauthor posted:

I hear in Japanese his name 'The Darkness of Eternity' so I guess he's more of a conceptual thing like Death itself or whatever.

Which feeds into the fact that, at that point, all existence was basically destroyed by Kuja breaking the Crystal.

ShadeofDante
Feb 17, 2007

speaking of minds! know what's on mine? murders.

Pureauthor posted:

Which sounds like a throwback to FFIII's final boss, both in name and in terms of "strange powerful evil that appears out of nowhere to challenge the party".

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

Vinchenz posted:

He's just a force of nature thing to provide a suitable final challenge while Kuja is still the real villan, just like with Cloud of Darkness and Xande.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
drat. No one has downloaded the PSP version of FFIII from the PSN? No one can tell me how big the download is?

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

Pesky Splinter posted:

That's the thing; it's presented as him being horribly hosed up. The player is certainly not meant to supportive of that. Or the blatent misogyny. And there's the fact that he's the antagonist.

Ah, Star Ocean 4, I was introduced to that cutscene in the XIII thread. Jesus loving christ. :shepicide:
I don't know if it's the way she says it or what, but that scene makes my flesh crawl.

Just like to point out, that particular scene is entirely optional, I played through Star Ocean til the bitter end and never had the pleasure of experiencing it

If only the same were true of 'Mom's are tough' in FFXIII

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
I've been playing FFIX for a while now and it just won't end, 40 hours in and I'm still on disc 3 (Mt. Gulug). It would be less of a drag if it weren't for the constant random battles, i didn't mind it in the pre-VII games because there was no long 20 second pan-zoom-swish screen at the start of every fight.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Polite Tim posted:

Just like to point out, that particular scene is entirely optional, I played through Star Ocean til the bitter end and never had the pleasure of experiencing it

There are like nine billion scenes just as bad that are not optional. Pretty much every scene in the game is some mind-numbing horror that goes on for eternity.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Every win quote after geting her is "It's thanks to you Edge-y!".

It is also my own personal idea of Hell.

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012
Oh Star Ocean...I'm glad I stopped playing after seeing the big reveal in 3. At least my opinion of the series hasn't been sullied too much by playing 4.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

Polite Tim posted:

I found this to be completely innocuous when I played XIII and was surprised it became a thing here. What's the big deal?

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

I feel the same way about Lightning's "We are pets" moment. It had been built up as this completely horrible FFX Laughing Scene akin part and when it happened it was a believable reaction with decent voice acting. :iiam:

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Vinchenz posted:

I always understood that as a throwback to old FF games, especially IV, and the whole THE REAL VILLAIN WAS THIS NEBULOUS CONCEPT OF EVIL THIS WHOLE TIME thing. I never understood why it bothered anyone, since it seemed incredibly appropriate considering the whole throwback thing.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Bear Sleuth posted:

I feel the same way about Lightning's "We are pets" moment. It had been built up as this completely horrible FFX Laughing Scene akin part and when it happened it was a believable reaction with decent voice acting. :iiam:

"We are pets" didn't bother me at all. It made a lot of sense in the context of the dialogue.

"Moms are tough" was different. The opening part of the game really treated the concept of rebellion very flippantly. Are we really supposed to believe that the prettyboy teenagers that made up NORA were going to lead an armed resistance against Cocoon's military? It was all like one big joke.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It didn't help that Snow didn't take a god damned minute of it seriously like he does with everything else in the game. He's always got that goofy rear end smile on even when he's in situation that's supposed to be completely serious. If he wasn't voiced by Troy Baker, he would be even worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
Well, they did fail, after all. But yeah, NORA sticks out like a sore, neon thumb and I can see how that'd heighten someone's reactions to anything that goes on in those scenes.